Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #2161
jdmsoles

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmsoles is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
Nothing big. I made a simple holder for my paint guns that way it makes my life a little bit easier when I have to put in the primer, paint etc. in the gun. I got the material free so it was no biggie.

I used flux core so grinded down the splatter and fat welds because I'm using .030 wire and that seems pretty thick for my thin material. w/e it got the job done

anyone know where i can get that kind of tubing i need to make a pedal pull back, but dont know where to buy that size steel rod/tube whatevers its called.

Last edited by jdmsoles; 08-30-2009 at 09:58 PM..
jdmsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #2162
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Just finished the sheet metal for my trunk. By my count, I used 31 separate pieces of .030" sheet, total of about 16sq ft of material (plus scraps, etc). The skeleton (and wing mount) is made of 20 sections of 3/4" .040" square tubing, totalling about 18ft long.

Not to mention hundreds of pain-in-the-ass welds lol.

Pics up later tonight.

It's dimensionally close enough to perfect, everything's square/level with where it needs to be. What I like most is that my taillights and trunk lid now are perfectly aligned, and with the skeleton fully boxed by the sheet metal, it's solid. Should be very quiet when I add the sound deadening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsoles View Post
anyone know where i can get that kind of tubing i need to make a pedal pull back, but dont know where to buy that size steel rod/tube whatevers its called.
No need to quote a billion pics. I buy all my raw materials from McMaster Carr (McMaster-Carr) - if you're local to one of their warehouses you can pick everything up for free, or you can have it shipped.

If you can't find it there, it probably isn't used in industry, and you should choose another type of material/size/etc.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #2163
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
I would offer you to buy some of my scarp but I have like nothing left. However alot of metal places should carry them like Aircraft Sprice, Shore Metals, etc. McMaster Carr also should have it but I tend not to go there unless I have to because their prices tend to be pretty high imo. Just call those places up.

Air Craft Spruce -- Corona,CA - (951) 372-9555‎ <----They should have an online catalog as well

Shore Metals -- Placentia,CA - (714) 630-1962

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #2164
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
...Pics up later tonight...
... and here they are!

Forgot to mention, 'shaved' my antenna. The metal was dimpled quite a bit, so I figured I'd patch it from the top instead of the bottom.

... then grinded...

Very nice!

So here's the finished trunk:

... pain in the ass ...

And the kicker ~ tail light/bumper fitment before:

And after:

And the bumper's just sitting on the edges of it's support, no zip ties yet!

So yeah, bondo and sound deadening tomorrow hopefully.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #2165
jdmsoles

jdmsoles is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
I would offer you to buy some of my scarp but I have like nothing left. However alot of metal places should carry them like Aircraft Sprice, Shore Metals, etc. McMaster Carr also should have it but I tend not to go there unless I have to because their prices tend to be pretty high imo. Just call those places up.

Air Craft Spruce -- Corona,CA - (951) 372-9555‎ <----They should have an online catalog as well

Shore Metals -- Placentia,CA - (714) 630-1962
thanks to both of you, what size rod is that 3/16s thanks.
jdmsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 AM   #2166
drftmark
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
drftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
GSXRJJordan did you weigh how much all of that was (just the metal you have done so far)? Before the bondo/sound deadening? Just curious
drftmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 AM   #2167
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftmark View Post
GSXRJJordan did you weigh how much all of that was (just the metal you have done so far)? Before the bondo/sound deadening? Just curious
Not counting the scrap, I the metal I added should have been less than 50lbs. I pulled out about 40lbs (including the rear tow hook), so I'm not too worried about it.

Sound deadening will add over 50lbs for the whole car lol, I truly could care less. Thanks, RB25.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #2168
Slip&Sliden 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Slip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have a bunch of sets of spare knuckles, so I thought I would try to get some more steering angle. Plus I boxed in a pair of lca's.

Here is the steering arm after I removed .75"

the knuckles and lca's before I removed the bump stops

The finished product after swaping my hub's, and brake ducts over.

Slip&Sliden 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #2169
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
thanks to both of you, what size rod is that 3/16s thanks.
3/8

msglength

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #2170
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
GSXRJJordan

damn thats alot of weld looks like it took a hot min. came out good tho
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #2171
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip&Sliden 240 View Post
Have a bunch of sets of spare knuckles, so I thought I would try to get some more steering angle. Plus I boxed in a pair of lca's.
how did you weld your knuckles? Tig? What rod? Any preheating? How did you let them cool? I have tigged two different sets and i have broken both of them.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #2172
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
how did you weld your knuckles? Tig? What rod? Any preheating? How did you let them cool? I have tigged two different sets and i have broken both of them.
from my experience, when i was learning how to Tig Weld My teacher welded a Few set of Cast Pieces for the Nascars with 99% nickel Welding Rod, Same settings on the Tig as stainless (Straight Polarity Direct Current) he preheated them with a propane torch, after he was done welding them he would let them cool on their own it usually took about a day or so.

I have personally not released any angle kits because of the same liability, once my Z32 is running again and my track car are good again I will test them. I do not want any liability for anyone wrecking their cars because my welds creaked. Welding Cast is Extremely touchy and not just anyone can do it right. just because it looks pretty docent mean it's strong

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #2173
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
from my experience, when i was learning how to Tig Weld My teacher welded a Few set of Cast Pieces for the Nascars with 99% nickel Welding Rod, Same settings on the Tig as stainless (Straight Polarity Direct Current) he preheated them with a propane torch, after he was done welding them he would let them cool on their own it usually took about a day or so.

I have personally not released any angle kits because of the same liability, once my Z32 is running again and my track car are good again I will test them. I do not want any liability for anyone wrecking their cars because my welds creaked. Welding Cast is Extremely touchy and not just anyone can do it right. just because it looks pretty docent mean it's strong
Thank you for the information. I dont have much experience welding cast pieces. I have welded a couple cast manifolds for tractors, but never something this much stress on it. I plan on trying a couple different filler rods over the winter.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #2174
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
^^^ yeah If I where you i would do a good chamfer on them to make sure you have absolutely good penetration. it's fairly thick so it will stay hot for a long long time. but if cleaned correctly and with the right filler rod it should be very very strong. might want to contact Parts Shop Max to see if they are willing to share their technique because they are poping cars out the same day. they weld in their angle kits

Review Thread
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #2175
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
^^^ yeah If I where you i would do a good chamfer on them to make sure you have absolutely good penetration. it's fairly thick so it will stay hot for a long long time. but if cleaned correctly and with the right filler rod it should be very very strong. might want to contact Parts Shop Max to see if they are willing to share their technique because they are poping cars out the same day. they weld in their angle kits
Just want to add a little to that. With the CORRECT filler rod. And, proper welding techniques. The weld (when it comes to steels and irons) will always be stronger than the weld.

And. on the topic of the knuckles. They should be welded with a high nickle rod (like mentioned). Afterward they should be heat treated.
They should also only be welded with either TIG or Stick. As they have superior penetration to MIG. If you're gonna wire feed it. It should be a dual-shield flux core weld.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #2176
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Afterward they should be heat treated.
I have talked to a couple different people they have mentioned putting the knuckles into a bucket of sand. Fill the bucket half full of sand, finish your welding, place the part into the sand, then fill the bucket to the top with sand. Any other ideas as to letting the part cool at a slower rate?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #2177
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Good info!
The difference with PBM stuff is they do not cut the arm off the knuckle. I am having a tough time with the cutting the knuckle mod. I was going to do this a while back...then my buddy lost a tie rod at Thunderhill and almost did not get the car stopped in time. Pretty scary if the knuckle fails!
I think PBM is the way to go!

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #2178
SANdisk

SANdisk is an unknown quantity at this point
On that same note of welding cast iron, Nickel (inconel, hastelloy, ernicrmo-17) is the rod of choice. pre-heat and post-heat are neccesary. pre-heat the work piece untill it can catch a piece of paper on fire (451 f) and post-heat for a couple hours in a kiln or oven. this is done to prevent cracking.
You can tell that the PBM knuckles are mig welded. they dont need to be tig'd because there are not just hacked off and put back together (which i think is not very safe). They weld a seperate piece on thats made out of normal mild steel that is inserted into the original tie rod hole. Dont get me wrong, i think that the mod can be done safely by just cut and weld. But I Wouldn't attempt it without proper welding skills and a jig where you could duplicate the results each time, i.e. the length of the cut and final postion. well thats my .02 haha.

Last edited by SANdisk; 09-02-2009 at 06:37 PM..
SANdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #2179
bardabe
Post Whore!

^^^ very good information sir, I agree with you 100% I would actually suggest the Sand Idea better for the cool down though

Review Thread
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #2180
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
im all the way from australia and WOW THIS IS A GREAT THREAD

spewin i didnt find out about it earlier

im going threw a rebuild at the moment and almost every thing on my car is custom made

exhaust manifold is made from mild steel steam pipe

and this is how it came out after it was coated

and some photos of the plenum

basically milled the standard inlet manifold all the way down to the flange plate so i could resuse the flange

port match the flange plate to the cylinder head ports

bolted it up with wat ever bolts i could find laying around just to weld it all together

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #2181
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

after coating

Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #2182
bardabe
Post Whore!

Looks good mate, did you weld all your stuff? those are some real nice beads

Review Thread
Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #2183
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

all done my POWERTUNE AUSTRALIA

nice avatar
i have a big thing for misa
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #2184
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
holy crap they did a freaking amazing job with the collectors.
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #2185
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post

what valvecover is that?
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #2186
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Crazy ass Australians and there mild steel manifolds ahahahahahah. Did they costume make your engine Flange for the exhaust??
Old 09-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #2187
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
what valvecover is that?
looks like a 20V valve cover

Review Thread
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #2188
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

I made this manifold its for a ls1 in a FC I reused the shitty engine flange and collector that came with his POS manifolds that did not fit. Reused for it to be cheaper on the costumers part.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #2189
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
what valvecover is that?
its a sr20V rocker cover/valve cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Kouki View Post
Crazy ass Australians and there mild steel manifolds ahahahahahah. Did they costume make your engine Flange for the exhaust??
yeah its mostly australia and N.Z that use mild steel steam pipe for exhaust manifolds
whens the rest of the world going to catch up and follow
the exhaust flange i had my mate CNC machine for me
Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #2190
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

No No Australia has to catch up with everyone else and use stainless steal you see that header above you its stainless and looks fucking awesome without being coated and will never rust. Mild steal might be cheaper but it will never be better the stainless