Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 AM   #21241
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe. View Post
Done both. Cleaned the MAF twice, and no issue at wiring.
sorry, i meant to say check the pins inside the MAF plug. if they are completely flattened out and not making proper contact with the pins of the MAF itself, this will cause all sorts of frustrating issues, including ALL of what you described above.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #21242
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
sorry, i meant to say check the pins inside the MAF plug. if they are completely flattened out and not making proper contact with the pins of the MAF itself, this will cause all sorts of frustrating issues, including ALL of what you described above.
I believe the fsm has backprobe specs for testing maf operation with it plugged in.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #21243
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Double checked, all good there. The car will die if MAF is unplugged, followed FSM procedures to test the MAF, all clear. I further went through and cleaned all the grounds on the engine, no luck. I do now have a code for EGR function, but that is a new code that hasn't been present until today.

On a bit of a whim I adjusted ignition timing, advanced it a couple degrees, and the situation improved. It's still not 100%, still bogs a little coming off idle, and has a machine-gun stutter, but it is noticeably better.

Last edited by Roscoe.; 08-05-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #21244
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
you unplugged the MAF while the car was running or unplugged it with the car off then turned it over?

if the car dies with the MAF unplugged, then its an ECU related issue. when starting the car with no MAF, it should go into diagnostic mode which runs a default loop and will not allow you to rev over 2500-3000rpms.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #21245
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
you unplugged the MAF while the car was running or unplugged it with the car off then turned it over?

if the car dies with the MAF unplugged, then its an ECU related issue. when starting the car with no MAF, it should go into diagnostic mode which runs a default loop and will not allow you to rev over 2500-3000rpms.
Yes, I unplugged MAF while the car was running, and it died. I was under the impression that was proper? If not, what should I do diagnostically?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:27 AM   #21246
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

if you want to put the car into diagnostic mode, you need to unplug the MAF while the car is off... unplugging it while the car is running will instantly kill the motor since the ECU doesnt understand what to do.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #21247
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
if you want to put the car into diagnostic mode, you need to unplug the MAF while the car is off... unplugging it while the car is running will instantly kill the motor since the ECU doesnt understand what to do.
Odd, I've seen this be the case running or not running with SR's, and KA's. If the MAF comes unplugged while driving it should remain ON and in limp mode
Old 08-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #21248
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

every SR ive ever owned (AND my Mazdas FSDE) instantly die at idle when unplugging the MAF while the motor is running.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #21249
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
So I went back and measured voltages and continuity on the MAF and everything lined up with the FSM. I still don't have any codes throwing either. I don't want to keep just throwing money at new parts hoping that'll fix it, can you guys think of anything else I can check?
Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #21250
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
souljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to souljaseth33
Does anyone know the part number for the seal pointed out below? For KA

Also, is this salvageable? Was left outside, not sure if I can just swap the same part off my other drive shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
souljaseth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #21251
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
^ Try to clean it up with a wire wheel, otherwise yeah it's definitely swappable, probly would want to replace that u-joint while your at it
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #21252
707silvia

707silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know if there's an aem v2 that's plug and play for a 1996 Nissan 240sx se? Having trouble finding one. but I also know that ppl do run aem v2's on there s14's with ka24de maybe just on obd1's not obd2?
707silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #21253
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

souljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
^ Try to clean it up with a wire wheel, otherwise yeah it's definitely swappable, probly would want to replace that u-joint while your at it
Thanks, I'll give cleaning it up a try before swapping!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #21254
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljaseth33 View Post
Thanks, I'll give cleaning it up a try before swapping!
My main concern would be pitting of the metal from rust. Can either damage the seal during install, or simply not get a good deal and leak. That piece should be smooth, something to check for after you try to clean it up.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #21255
caspa
Leaky Injector

caspa is an unknown quantity at this point
My A/C compressor doesn't cycle ON/OFF... it just stays on the whole time when I have the A/C blasting. Any suggestions why it's doing this? thanks in advance.
caspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #21256
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
My main concern would be pitting of the metal from rust. Can either damage the seal during install, or simply not get a good deal and leak. That piece should be smooth, something to check for after you try to clean it up.

Something I was afraid of as well. If it isn't able to get smooth again, I will swap it out with my stock drive shaft I've got.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #21257
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you have access to a sand blaster, I recommend blasting instead of a wire wheel. that will really give you a good idea of how bad it is.

granted, most blast cabinets aren't long enough for a drive shaft. you could do what ive done in the bast and ghetto-fy it with a garbage bag and duct tape. make sure you wear a respirator tho. or the dustless outside units without a cabinet would probably work better.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #21258
Brandon240sx
Zilvia Member

Brandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choices
Want to get rid of the open diff on my 89' s13. Bought a VLSD for $75 then found out after the fact that it's not great for drifting and slowly turns into an open diff. Don't really wanna weld my open diff because I don't want to be drifting every turn I make. What should I buy and drop in? I'm not looking for something expensive since it's stock just want to have something that's fun to slide with and possibly one day down the line, begin tracking with.
Brandon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #21259
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon240sx View Post
I'm not looking for something expensive
then youre not gonna find what you are looking for.

your best bet is to find someone selling an HLSD from an S15 with output shafts (you NEED S15 output shafts as they are 30 spline, everything else is 29 spline). cheapest and easiest way to upgrade your diff with something reliable and worth every penny spent (HLSDs also hold their resale value). HLSD never wears out btw since its all gear driven!

otherwise, youll wind up having to go the welded diff route which will ruin all drive-ability in your car for daily life

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #21260
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspa View Post
My A/C compressor doesn't cycle ON/OFF... it just stays on the whole time when I have the A/C blasting. Any suggestions why it's doing this? thanks in advance.
Is it a KA compressor?

The KA24 uses a variable displacement compressor. It uses a swash-plate design to keep the refrigerant pressures very consistent regardless of engine rpm and load demand. This means the compressor clutch will not cycle until the displacement variance has reached it's limit. The compressor clutch should rarely cycle on a functioning system.

This can be confusing to people who are accustomed to the constantly cycling, non-variable compressors found on most modern econotrash cars. Cars really were better in the '90s.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #21261
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon240sx View Post
Want to get rid of the open diff on my 89' s13. Bought a VLSD for $75 then found out after the fact that it's not great for drifting and slowly turns into an open diff. Don't really wanna weld my open diff because I don't want to be drifting every turn I make. What should I buy and drop in? I'm not looking for something expensive since it's stock just want to have something that's fun to slide with and possibly one day down the line, begin tracking with.
I'd say just swap in the vlsd since you already have it, sounds like it would probably be all you need at this point to have a little fun. Tracking the car and getting the diff really hot is what makes a vlsd loose its lockability if that's a word lol Down the line you could always swap it if you felt like an upgrade was necessary, shimming the diff would be another option
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #21262
Brandon240sx
Zilvia Member

Brandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
I'd say just swap in the vlsd since you already have it, sounds like it would probably be all you need at this point to have a little fun. Tracking the car and getting the diff really hot is what makes a vlsd loose its lockability if that's a word lol Down the line you could always swap it if you felt like an upgrade was necessary, shimming the diff would be another option

Sounds good, thanks. I've looked into shimming the diff and have heard mixed things. I've heard it's a bunch of bs and does nothing, it wears down the diff quickly, causes it to get hit quickly. But I've also heard people say that it makes such a difference and it works good. Any idea what really happens after shimming the diff?
Brandon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 AM   #21263
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I'd recommended a used 2-way. There are enough of them around that you can get one cheap. It's the best diff choice for drifting hands down (aside from price).
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #21264
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
So I went back and measured voltages and continuity on the MAF and everything lined up with the FSM. I still don't have any codes throwing either. I don't want to keep just throwing money at new parts hoping that'll fix it, can you guys think of anything else I can check?
Replaced the MAF today to rule it out, and it made no change. Threw in brand new spark plugs, Dizzy Cap and Rotor, and plug wires today as well, no change. Threw some carb cleaner into the IACV tube off the intake, no change. All the injectors are 11.6, and spray proper. Fuel pressure is at 34psi (Although it does spike to 43 when I hit throttle, and then drops back down.). The vacuum port off the TB for the canister (deleted) has always been open and has just started asking for vacuum, I capped it off, and capped it runs better but still shit. Made sure the TPS is at .47. I'm out of ideas of things to check.

[The issue is the car will drop 1-200 rpms when getting on throttle, stutters around 2200 rpm, and is wildly underpowered throughout the rpm. I noticed today that if I stay below half throttle it accelerates smoothly, but above all of the problem pops through, save the rpm drop getting on throttle which happens every time.]

Last edited by Roscoe.; 08-10-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 04:38 AM   #21265
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Replaced the MAF today to rule it out, and it made no change. Threw in brand new spark plugs, Dizzy Cap and Rotor, and plug wires today as well, no change. Threw some carb cleaner into the IACV tube off the intake, no change. All the injectors are 11.6, and spray proper. Fuel pressure is at 34psi (Although it does spike to 43 when I hit throttle, and then drops back down.). The vacuum port off the TB for the canister (deleted) has always been open and has just started asking for vacuum, I capped it off, and capped it runs better but still shit. Made sure the TPS is at .47. I'm out of ideas of things to check.

[The issue is the car will drop 1-200 rpms when getting on throttle, stutters around 2200 rpm, and is wildly underpowered throughout the rpm. I noticed today that if I stay below half throttle it accelerates smoothly, but above all of the problem pops through, save the rpm drop getting on throttle which happens every time.]
Static Timing. You might be a tooth off or not at 20*
Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #21266
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Static Timing. You might be a tooth off or not at 20*
Just checked, timing is fine. Cam dots are proper, lines up with dizzy position, cam lobes are in the right place.

I did just find that the injector o-rings at the manifold are leaking air, have ordered new ones. Could this be enough to cause these issues?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #21267
coolshirtrobert
Zilvia Member

coolshirtrobert is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone confirm if the oil drain/return line fitting on the sr block is 1/2 npt when switching to ss braided lines? 1/2 npt to 10 an.

Also found this
its 1/2" BSPT...you need a 1/2"BSPT to 1/2"NPT union, then a 1/2" NPT female coupler, then a 1/2" NPT to -8AN or -10AN union adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolshirtrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #21268
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Can't help you with the NPT vs BSPT.

But if it's BSPT, you don't need to use that NPT union as an intermediate. Just get a 1/2" BSPT to -10 AN fitting.

edit: I found that SR20forums post you were looking at.

Here's another link saying it's 1/2" BSPT:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=537898
Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #21269
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not interested in paying a hefty fee for oem z32 2+2 cables and was wondering if
the Raybestos BC94260 are the same thing, but not nissan oem. I'm about to e-brake swap and was wondering if what it shows online is accurate.
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #21270
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm sure those will work.

There is a very significant difference between 2-seater and 2+2 cables. They cannot be interchanged.

So as long as you're buying for 2+2, you'll be fine.

ps. my OEM 2+2 cables were $70 per side from FRSport