Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #20551
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I haven't put a header on any N/A ka's, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get some fuller sound, maybe a little bit less rattly-rasp noise in the 5-6.5k rpm range.

If I were to spend the money on an exhaust for an N/A ka, I'd be making one or paying someone to make me a custom one that has some artistic, audible, whatever value.

If $300-400 on a header breaks the bank, save the money
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #20552
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
whats the point of putting an exhaust on a stock KA? to wake up professional school students in the middle of the night while they're trying to get their few hours of sleep?

putting an exhaust on an NA KA for non-replacement reasons just seems like those dips who straightpipe their d15 civics

I mean, if my exhaust was broken i would, but otherwise meh.

with turbo cars its a litte different, cuz you're trying to gain performance, and turbos arent shitloud
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #20553
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Log Onto Amazon
Input YEAR 240SX OBX Racing Header
Apply for Citi credit card for $50 Amazon Gift Card
Select header($175)
Got to shopping cart
Apply gift card
NOW at payment, DESELECT CITI CARD
Select typical payment plus 50 gift card
Price with free shipping is now $125

Go into account AND REMOVE CITI Card. When the card comes in the mail, Cancel it, by sending it back to them cut in two pieces with teh note on teh paper in red stating CANCEL

Then buy a Meegan test pipe on Enjuku for $35 and be done with exhaust
Oh, amazon also has several mufflers to fit oe pipe, as well as cheap ass N1 knock offs too for cat back
Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, the header that comes up is the 'shorty' one that attaches to the three bolt down pipe. I'm trying to avoid those.

But I will use your tip for something else I need from Amazon.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #20554
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
I haven't put a header on any N/A ka's, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get some fuller sound, maybe a little bit less rattly-rasp noise in the 5-6.5k rpm range.

If I were to spend the money on an exhaust for an N/A ka, I'd be making one or paying someone to make me a custom one that has some artistic, audible, whatever value.

If $300-400 on a header breaks the bank, save the money
It's not that a $300-400 header breaks the bank, I simply don't want to pay that much.

If there are no quality header or exhaust out there, I'll keep it stock because I see no point in spending around 1K for a full exhaust to yield little to no power gains.

I don't know why some people are hating on the idea of a simple and small header and exhaust upgrade from the ugly stock one. I'm not a youngling who wants to blast around with installed blast pipes. I HATE those things.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #20555
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wants quality. Doesn't want to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #20556
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Wants decent quality for a reasonable price.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #20557
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
It's not that a $300-400 header breaks the bank, I simply don't want to pay that much.

If there are no quality header or exhaust out there, I'll keep it stock because I see no point in spending around 1K for a full exhaust to yield little to no power gains.

I don't know why some people are hating on the idea of a simple and small header and exhaust upgrade from the ugly stock one. I'm not a youngling who wants to blast around with installed blast pipes. I HATE those things.
The ISR Header for the KA24DE is a direct clone of the OBXR part. The one thing you may want to do is also pick up the EGR delete for the Intake, and get the Nissan EGR block off bolt from Quirk Nissan(200SX, Stanza, Maxima EGR Exhaust plug)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.h...F80WL3KRJT%2C1

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...4de-91-98.html

These parts will make the car LIGHTER, and give a nice smooth sound when the Megan test pipe is used along with a 2.5" exhaust and oval dual or single tip muffler(prevents cabin drone). You are looking for simple decent stuff for the car, not the drift kid bs. I'm right there with you. With the Enthalpy Stock 92/93/94 octane tune and an Injen intake, the little 240 will wake up and be fun to drive. The addition of coil overs and a good arm kit(ISR V3 is the best money) the cars are a blast on back roads. So much so, that like me, you may even start to think maybe drifting would be fun to do...yeah, we got a huge grassroots scene here and that bug has bit
Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #20558
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
The ISR Header for the KA24DE is a direct clone of the OBXR part. The one thing you may want to do is also pick up the EGR delete for the Intake, and get the Nissan EGR block off bolt from Quirk Nissan(200SX, Stanza, Maxima EGR Exhaust plug)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.h...F80WL3KRJT%2C1

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...4de-91-98.html

These parts will make the car LIGHTER, and give a nice smooth sound when the Megan test pipe is used along with a 2.5" exhaust and oval dual or single tip muffler(prevents cabin drone). You are looking for simple decent stuff for the car, not the drift kid bs. I'm right there with you. With the Enthalpy Stock 92/93/94 octane tune and an Injen intake, the little 240 will wake up and be fun to drive. The addition of coil overs and a good arm kit(ISR V3 is the best money) the cars are a blast on back roads. So much so, that like me, you may even start to think maybe drifting would be fun to do...yeah, we got a huge grassroots scene here and that bug has bit
Thank you. Someone who gets it.

I knew about the block off plate, so my Enjukuracing shopping cart consists of the header, test pipe, block off plate and their dual tip exhaust. I will see how that combination sounds and add the necessary sized resonator after.

I can never get into drifting. Max grip is my poison, but not in this car. This is a simple save and restore project.

The suspension arms will be coming in early next year. That way the car should be 80% complete by spring.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #20559
MightyMouse13
Zilvia Member

MightyMouse13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Been looking around without much luck. I have z32 rear calipers, but switched to gktech knuckles, so the z32 bolts are too long and are hitting the rotor. My guess is i need to switch back to the s13 sized bolts. What are the dimensions of the s13 bolts vs the z32 ones?

MightyMouse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #20560
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Are there any G35 enthusiasts on here? I'm considering picking up one as a daily and would like someone to review it with me. Pm me please

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #20561
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Are there any G35 enthusiasts on here? I'm considering picking up one as a daily and would like someone to review it with me. Pm me please

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Yup. An 06 6mt coupe is my daily. Pm me with questions, or check out G35Driver.com
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #20562
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Thank you. Someone who gets it.

I knew about the block off plate, so my Enjukuracing shopping cart consists of the header, test pipe, block off plate and their dual tip exhaust. I will see how that combination sounds and add the necessary sized resonator after.

I can never get into drifting. Max grip is my poison, but not in this car. This is a simple save and restore project.

The suspension arms will be coming in early next year. That way the car should be 80% complete by spring.
Get the Megan Test Pipe that isn't the straight pipe style. It's a resonator. With the dual tip exhaust, it will give a really nice sound. We did my son's kouki with a similar set up
Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #20563
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Sounds like you changed something else.

Wastegate reference line is hooked up with no leaks?

If you remove the EBC from the equation does that fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
like e1 said, remove the EBC, connect the signal line directly between source and wg, then check boost pressure again. could also be a ruptured wg diaphragm.
Thanks guys and sorry for the late response since I was prepping my car for paint. I finally checked and it must be the WG. I plan on changing it out this week with another stock WG I have laying around.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #20564
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can someone link me or advise on how to confirm a possible leaking exhaust valve/guide?

I think I might be burning oil and it seems to be the exhaust valves on cylinder 3 and 4.
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #20565
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Also on the S14 where are you guys grounding you negative battery terminal for a trunk relocate? I think I have a bad grounding spot.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #20566
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14kouki805 View Post
Can someone link me or advise on how to confirm a possible leaking exhaust valve/guide?

I think I might be burning oil and it seems to be the exhaust valves on cylinder 3 and 4.
To do it right(trunk mounted battery), you should get a grommet, drill a hole, run the grommet over the wire, and connect to the frame after insuring you have metal to metal contact. Use anti corrosion preservative over the connection. Get an XS Power kit

If you think you have leaky valves, you do a compression test. What you are probably seeing is worn valve seals
Old 12-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #20567
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
To do it right(trunk mounted battery), you should get a grommet, drill a hole, run the grommet over the wire, and connect to the frame after insuring you have metal to metal contact. Use anti corrosion preservative over the connection. Get an XS Power kit

If you think you have leaky valves, you do a compression test. What you are probably seeing is worn valve seals
Thanks for the response!

I guess I meant where exactly are you guys grounding the negative terminal in the trunk. Maybe someone can post a pic, I've heard the spare tire mount but that seems kind of weak. I'm currently grounding on the sheet metal right inside the spare tire well. My issue is that the car won't start without a jump but it's a new battery...I'm thinking it's a bad ground.

Regarding the compression test, I did that a couple weeks ago, they all checked out around 110-115, it's a fresh build with 87.5mm 8.5:1 pistons and freshly rebuilt head with new valve guides. I called the shop and explained my oil issue (oil build up in exhaust ports of cylinder 3 and 4)the guy says that's normal as long as not excessive. There's only about 600 miles on it since the build. Do those compression number seem too low?

Thanks again!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #20568
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
The spare tire mount is flat wrong.

I don't have a rear mount battery so I can't speak to that, but there are a couple threaded holes in the trunk of my s13 where I run grounds to, but just for relays.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #20569
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
110-115 is extremely low for a freshly built engine.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #20570
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
110-115 is extremely low for a freshly built engine.

Yeah I thought so, what would be normal for those specs? The builder said the rings are not seated yet to check again in 500 miles.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #20571
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

My redtop sr does 180 across all four and it's been in my car since 2008, which is when I imported it from Japan so no clue how many miles are on it.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #20572
tgd89
Leaky Injector

tgd89 is on a distinguished road
Looking to pick the block up off another member, has 250 miles or so on it, bottom end looks great but the pistons look a little caked, but he says it was running pretty rich. What does zilvia think?

tgd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #20573
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

I guess I meant where exactly are you guys grounding the negative terminal in the trunk. Maybe someone can post a pic

Thanks again!
Did I say grommet and FRAME Mount? I think so as is confirmed in the NEGATIVE portion of the link below

http://www.4xspower.com/AK-Kits-Instruction.pdf
Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #20574
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Did I say grommet and FRAME Mount? I think so as is confirmed in the NEGATIVE portion of the link below

http://www.4xspower.com/AK-Kits-Instruction.pdf
Ok, ok, shit take it easy! lol, no but seriously thanks man!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #20575
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

My 'new to me' tach has a white back ground and the rest of my gauges are black.

I want to swap the back grounds, but that entails removing the needle and there is where my problem starts.

Every where I looked, simply says to pull upwards with equal force on both sides of the needle. Is that the proper way to remove the needle from a S14 tach?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #20576
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
My 'new to me' tach has a white back ground and the rest of my gauges are black.

I want to swap the back grounds, but that entails removing the needle and there is where my problem starts.

Every where I looked, simply says to pull upwards with equal force on both sides of the needle. Is that the proper way to remove the needle from a S14 tach?
Years ago when I put white face overlays on my car I removed the stand that the needle "rests" on with needle nose pliers. Mark the side where the needle stops turning. Pull needle strait off, might need a little wiggle. When you put the needle back on, align it with the mark you made. That way you know the speedo/tach remain accurate.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #20577
Juantwo3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
Juantwo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Does anyone know of a paint/body shop in Fullerton/Anaheim area?
that does good work at a fair price.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #20578
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Years ago when I put white face overlays on my car I removed the stand that the needle "rests" on with needle nose pliers. Mark the side where the needle stops turning. Pull needle strait off, might need a little wiggle. When you put the needle back on, align it with the mark you made. That way you know the speedo/tach remain accurate.
That's the part that scares me a little because I've heard horror stories of the plastic piece that holds the needle breaking.

I'll try it on the old/broken tach and see how it goes.

Thanks for helping.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #20579
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
That's the part that scares me a little because I've heard horror stories of the plastic piece that holds the needle breaking.

I'll try it on the old/broken tach and see how it goes.

Thanks for helping.
If you remove the needle rest stop, you can twist the needle off also.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #20580
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
CA

Quote:
Also on the S14 where are you guys grounding you negative battery terminal for a trunk relocate? I think I have a bad grounding spot.
Ran two cables from trunk into the engine bay,

Welded a ground stud near the bottom of the passenger side strut tower.

Its generally poor practice to ground in the trunk.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote