Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #1921
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
question, can someone tell me the thread pattern of the GS rucas for the s14? my heim joints are totally shot its getting dangerous to drive, so thread patter of the heim joint for the s14 ruca so i can go get a good bearing. I emailed fatbou garage no luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #1922
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Poorman, can you visually explain this to me, because this is not making any any sense to me whatsoever that I need longer Tie rods. These Wickeds are almost(like 5mm) as long fully extended as my buddies Ikeya Formula inners with s14 outers...

And in my head, longer tie rods doesn't make sense.

This is a horrible representation, because I suck in paint, it's not to scale and the sides are different lengths, but can we please just pretend? lol

THE WAY I AM NOW^^

THE WAY I WILL BE WITH LONGER TIE RODS^
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #1923
recklessrob

Trader Rating: (0)
recklessrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
have you measured the angles with the car on the ground?
recklessrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #1924
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
I'm looking forward to this explination on the tie rods as well.

And on an old topic, anybody have any chassis engineering textbooks they can reference to confirm the origin of the anit squat line from?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #1925
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
question, can someone tell me the thread pattern of the GS rucas for the s14? my heim joints are totally shot its getting dangerous to drive, so thread patter of the heim joint for the s14 ruca so i can go get a good bearing. I emailed fatbou garage no luck.
What are GS rucas? Is GS a company?

I would assume they're 16MX2.0 like all of the other crummy heim joint arms out there.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #1926
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
^GS = Godspeed.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #1927
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csomme View Post
Poorman, can you visually explain this to me, because this is not making any any sense to me whatsoever that I need longer Tie rods. These Wickeds are almost(like 5mm) as long fully extended as my buddies Ikeya Formula inners with s14 outers...

And in my head, longer tie rods doesn't make sense.

This is a horrible representation, because I suck in paint, it's not to scale and the sides are different lengths, but can we please just pretend? lol
Ahhh, I didnt' know the wickeds were that long. What hole do you have the tie rods in on the PSM knuckle? They need to be in the hole closest to the FLCA and the actual weld on piece needs to be angled outward for max angle/ackerman reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post

I would assume they're 16MX2.0 like all of the other crummy heim joint arms out there.
Godspeed.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #1928
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
They are in the closest one I am surely confused bud. Arg. Are you stumped as well? I thought you of all people could tell.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #1929
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Yeah man, get some pictures of the knuckles, and the tie rod on each side when at full lock.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #1930
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post

Yea god speed, got some for free, so trying to replace that shitty bearing with an FK bearing since they sell metric shit. If its the same pattern as the control arms, than it is 16x2.0, someone confirm?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #1931
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
The Godspeed FLCA have 16x2 mm rod ends on the inboard side - yes.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #1932
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

heres is my stock modified arm.

here is the stock angle of the ball joint.

Here is how i want to weld it in at a angle, what do you guys think? This is too much, just showing what i maen.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #1933
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
heres is my stock modified arm.

here is the stock angle of the ball joint.

Here is how i want to weld it in at a angle, what do you guys think? This is too much, just showing what i maen.
Hey show pics of the arm from under, what size heim u use? Right/ left thread? What mis-alignment spacers? And what bungs did u use to weld to the arm right/left thread? Pm me I'f not post here thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #1934
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
I wouldn't go that much.

Measure the stock arm's angle, and then take like 2 or 3 degrees out, maybe 4 if you were really low, but I wouldn't really take anymore out.

You're still kinda restricted to a certain angle due to the angle on the bottom of the front knuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Trust me. S13 tie rods are too short. Look at any good website and they will recommend S14 tie rods for modded knuckles.

You can still get zero toe alignment, you just have to adjust them in farther. I know I know it doesn't make a lot of sense until you see it, but I know what I'm talking about. Everyone else in this thread and Kuah (from SPL parts) and Dan (from Parts Shop MAX) will tell you the same thing.

Check out PSM's new tie rod inners/outers. Cheap and strong.
The only reason why you need longer tie rods is so you can achieve zero toe after getting the modified knuckles.

After placing the tie rod end mounting points further outward to reduce ackerman and increase maximum possible angle, your tie rod assembly, whether it's just longer tie rods, or with longer tie rod ends, you would need the new assembly to reach the new position of the tie rod mounting holes, which could easily be an inch further outward from the stock location.

That's the only reason why you would need longer tie rods.

Randomly throwing longer tie rods on your car will not do anything other than give you massive and non-functional toe-in.

I'm speaking from personal experience since I went through all this. I'm pretty sure I explained this stuff as I was working on my setup earlier in this thread.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #1935
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

That heim joint/ bung set up is a cut up God speed arm, i'm using FK bearing rather than the shitty china ones. Yea i'm not going to go that much angle it was just to show. True i have stock knuckles, if i get a spare set i might modify them.

FOr now i will take out like 2-3 degrees since that will make the heim joint inside the cup as center as possible to reduce possible bind.

QA1 sells those tube inserts as well. You will need a 1/8'' plate that is 1.5x2.0 with a 1/4'' hole right in the center. Than just plate the shit out of it and be generous with the welder.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #1936
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Don't forget to grind the "lip" past the bearing cup down to gain some space between the FLCAs and the rotors.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #1937
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Yea cant wait to start getting into fitment problems =(. Trying to get the bearing centered without having to make the control arm much longer. Need to start working on the rears.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #1938
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yeah, I had the concept a little screwed up.

Csomme, are you running any kind of bump-stop on your FLCA? Shots of those knuckles?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #1939
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
To the guy having angle issues: Did you check to make sure that your not rubbing on something with your trailing wheel/tire? Also, remember that your "max angle" will be greater when actually racing.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #1940
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
csomme,

To check the installation I would have to see pictures of your parts: installed knuckle parts, LCA bump stop, and tie rod.

Its not too usefull looking at the pix from the outside of the car, the camera angle can have an effect on the appearance.

However 10-12 degrees of ackerman is normal for our parts. So depending on how the parts were installed if your inside wheel is sitting at 49 degrees from center, the outside wheel should be 39 degrees.

Matts angles are 55 and 43 degrees and with the bright wheels its easy to see the difference.

How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #1941
SoSideways
Post Whore!

To the guys saying he's rubbing on stuff or hitting stuff with the inside wheel, remember the wheels are connected via the rack, so if he hits something with the trailing wheel, the entire rack stops moving and he wouldn't be able to turn the leading wheel any more.

Just pointing this out in case someone forgot about that bit.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #1942
mrphams

mrphams is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys.

I hope this is the correct place to post this!

My S15 (very similar to S14 I suppose), has the following alignment for the rear and ride height isn't dumped or anything, it's a very mild sort of setup:

Rear
Camber : -1.7 degrees
Toe : 0mm total

The rear has all adjustable arms, camber, toe and traction.

The problem I'm having is that the rear wheels aren't centered in the arch, not even close, and they sit further to the back of the arch. This cases the tyres to scrub on the lower back of the wheel arch.

Is it possible that the previous owner of my car set the traction rods too long, so now the wheels are positioned too far back? And if I shorten the traction rods and adjust other arms to suit, then the wheel will be more centered and will no longer scrub?

Car is getting alignment end of the week and they will sort it all out I suppose, but just curious about the methods and theory behind it all

Cheers!
mrphams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #1943
SoSideways
Post Whore!

That's how the rear wheels are on my S13 too.

But I'm running stock traction arms, thus the super far back look.

From the research that the NRR guys have done though, I think setting the traction rods to 8.5" or there abouts created a pretty sweet toe curve for the rear wheels, to where toe barely changed at all throughout the entire suspension travel, from full droop to fully compressed.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #1944
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphams View Post
Hey guys.

I hope this is the correct place to post this!

My S15 (very similar to S14 I suppose), has the following alignment for the rear and ride height isn't dumped or anything, it's a very mild sort of setup:

Rear
Camber : -1.7 degrees
Toe : 0mm total

The rear has all adjustable arms, camber, toe and traction.

The problem I'm having is that the rear wheels aren't centered in the arch, not even close, and they sit further to the back of the arch. This cases the tyres to scrub on the lower back of the wheel arch.

Is it possible that the previous owner of my car set the traction rods too long, so now the wheels are positioned too far back? And if I shorten the traction rods and adjust other arms to suit, then the wheel will be more centered and will no longer scrub?

Car is getting alignment end of the week and they will sort it all out I suppose, but just curious about the methods and theory behind it all

Cheers!

Longer traction rods tend to reduce toe changes. You might want to check this out.

New S14 bumpsteer graphs - Nissan Road Racing Forums
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #1945
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
hey dudes,

careful with inner tie rod spacers and s14 inners on a s13 rack..( i am not sure if a s14 rack is any different.) the over all length of the s14 tie rod is needed for modded knuckles, but s14's have shorter threads that thread into the rack.. and with spacers, its really only held on by three or four threads, mine stripped out of my rack this past event...

some companies are offering inner rods that have the 'spacer' machined into the inner tie rod, and the 'stock s13' thread length that goes into the rack.. im buying this style from now on.
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #1946
SoSideways
Post Whore!

I don't know what tie rods you used, but even the Tein ones had plenty of threads still after slipping on the bigger PBM 7mm spacers.

I'm not using any spacers right now though.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #1947
mrphams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
That's how the rear wheels are on my S13 too.

But I'm running stock traction arms, thus the super far back look.

From the research that the NRR guys have done though, I think setting the traction rods to 8.5" or there abouts created a pretty sweet toe curve for the rear wheels, to where toe barely changed at all throughout the entire suspension travel, from full droop to fully compressed.
Glad I'm not the only one with this problem! So we both need shorter traction rod then, but need to keep it roughly around 8.5" (center to center?) for the best bump-steer results.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #1948
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Yes 8.5" center to center.

I am not sure if it will work on our cars, as the stock traction rods are 8.25" long, and we're talking about even lengthening them a bit more.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1949
mrphams

Quote:
Yes 8.5" center to center.

I am not sure if it will work on our cars, as the stock traction rods are 8.25" long, and we're talking about even lengthening them a bit more.
What are we to do! I don't really care about how it looks (ok I care a little), but main goal is to stop the scrubbing. I'll let you know how I go after the alignment.

My current traction rods look like they're longer then 8.5".... so hopefully it's just that.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #1950
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
Quote:
I don't know what tie rods you used, but even the Tein ones had plenty of threads still after slipping on the bigger PBM 7mm spacers.

I'm not using any spacers right now though.
i was using moog oem replacement s14 inners, shorter threads then s13 or tein
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote