Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #151
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I wonder what the hold-up is? Seems like they should be using the same housing casting as the xx58 B1 turbos and machining for the slightly larger turbine.

At least they have some turbos coming in...
The 7163 is the first of the B1 framed models to come in a twin scroll iirc. So they would need new castings for that but not the single scroll.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #152
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Considering the exhaust hits the turbine at a 45* angle vs the standard 90*, I don't think it's as easy as machining out the same housings.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #153
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
I could be wrong, but I think the turbine volute is the same, and all the "magic" is in the geometry of the turbine blades.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #154
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
FullRaceGeoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Def is correct, the mixed flow turbine wheel uses the same volute as a radial flow turbine wheel. the "tip shape" and "blade contour" are what makes this wheel design so unique
FullRaceGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #155
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Long runner smooth entry on this externally gated 8374!!
Mannykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #156
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRaceGeoff View Post
Def is correct, the mixed flow turbine wheel uses the same volute as a radial flow turbine wheel. the "tip shape" and "blade contour" are what makes this wheel design so unique

Ahhh interesting.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #157
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

More people with 7163's are slowly rolling in...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-membe...-many-wow.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bISklKe_orQ

Listen to the induction sound, the turbo basically is always spun up. Also keep in mind he's at 1 mile elevation.

Quote from the owner: "damn thing wants to spool so early literally any time you are above 3k rpms in any gear the car will want to generate 3-5lbs of boost instantly with the lightest of throttle inputs...
It's fun and pretty zippy, can you believe this same car was at 608whp before? In the end the trade off from horsepower to spool was worth it."
Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #158
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
^^ Actually, some of that sound at the beginning is the dyno rollers and not the actual turbo on boil

I like the dyno graph. But a little biased in spool since those scoobys are a 2.5 liter bottom end (although the heads are not the best flow wise).
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #159
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
They actually don't spool up turbos much faster on the average dyno pull than an SR. They have so much piping length that the difference between a run immediately following another, and one 30 seconds later can be on the order of 5-10% of spool RPM. They have that much heat loss before the turbine unless everything is close to steady state.

Their heads do suck something fierce as well when it comes to flow.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #160
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
^^ Yep, that I do know
Old 05-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #161
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
This 6758 should be strapped to my built KA in a few weeks, along with meth injection. Things will get interesting...

S14 Build
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #162
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
^^ Actually, some of that sound at the beginning is the dyno rollers and not the actual turbo on boil

I like the dyno graph. But a little biased in spool since those scoobys are a 2.5 liter bottom end (although the heads are not the best flow wise).
Yep, but if you listen closely you can hear the turbo whistling over it. Even just on light throttle, you can hear the whistling pick up quickly.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #163
khmerpimpin
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
khmerpimpin is making a name for him/her selfkhmerpimpin is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to khmerpimpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRaceGeoff View Post
^thx i love my evo! my all-time favorite daily driver, evoM banned me because a vendor complained my build thread was unsolicited advertisements.. oh well I thought i had some good info posted in it. im planning to pull the twinscroll 8374 off the car and try a twinsroll 7163 soon should really liven up the lowend tq curve. i run it on E85, there is a taxi refill near the shop, so I plan to keep iwg slammed shut at all times lol
Are all EFR's getting the aluminum chra's?? If so what is the ETA on them, and going from 8374 to 7163 is a big jump!

I wish they made something in between the 7670 and 8374 with MFT. that would be an awesome turbo.
khmerpimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #164
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

8374 to 7163 is a big jump. my twinscroll 8374 spools identically to a singlescroll gt3076R, and while that is incredible and allows me 700+hp worth of airflow, ~500 on the top end but spooling 1000+rpm earlier is very hard to argue with... plus it will roast all (4) tires more easily. Im not into highway or drag racing anymore and really just want my evo to have a "response monster" type powerband. the chassis and differentials are sorted and it slides very predictably so i look at this as a powerband that's more fun. I think these guys putting big singlescroll turbos on their evo's are nuts 6466, 6766, hta37, etc for dyno # and drag racing gets old to me

aluminum CHRA is only for the 7163 at this time. We are still hearing from many installers who can not or dont want to connect water lines -- the steel center section is crucial for these installs (obviously the alu needs to be watercooled). Ive requested that they extend the alu option to the largest/heaviest EFR first (9180 and 8374) and we expect that option to become available around SEMA later this year

as for the larger dia MFT rotor option on a B2 EFR turbo, its been discussed. Based on the results we're having with the 7163 we know there is potential for something like that, but in the lab it appears the 7163 is sort of a "sweet spot" for that blade design. There is some interest amongst the team to try out a couple other technologies, but the existing B2 turbos perform *so well* in the lab its pretty hard to top right now, so it remains to be seen what will eventually get approved and make it to market. More than likely it will be 2 years away... the good news is these guys are working on EFR stuff for 8-10 years from now already too, they are committed for the long haul
Old 05-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #165
Def
Post Whore!

Now they just need to work on their production capacity and being more turbos to the market!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #166
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk4AIdOOv1Y

Here's some footage of the 7163 equipped Jager Racing STI at Road Atlanta. Skip to 2:05 for the good stuff.

Notice how quickly he's back in boost after a shift and when he's coming out of a corner too. The moment after you hear the RPM pick up, you hear the turbo too.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #167
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

hey guys - just wanted to bump this for anyone looking for a 7163, we have them in stock as twinscroll IWG and vband EWG. im planning to spend my july 4th weekend putting one on my evo
Old 06-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #168
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

More dyno results coming out of the 7163!

Green is the stock turbo and red is the 7163. 557wtq / 535whp is what it came up with and much much more area under the curve than the stock unit.

Some bad new tho, I'm not the first autocrosser with a 7163 now, he's even in my class too...
Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #169
Def
Post Whore!

That's a pretty tasty dyno. Looks like full boost around 3.7-3.8k, and very high boost at that.

Sounds like an SR with a twin scroll and more heat delivered to the turbine can do ~25 psi around the 3.8-4.2k RPM range depending on a few different factors.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #170
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

fyi - that chart is the singlescroll vband 7163. they will try a twinscroll at the end of this season, I suspect it will spool 400rpm quicker but lose ~30whp on the top end. we will see..
Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #171
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
bimmer/sr20/efr - at local shop getting finished up and then dyno'd soon!

huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #172
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
these turbos already have built in bypass valves and some sort of electric boost controller built in the compressor housings?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #173
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
yes
http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/files/p...nical_data.pdf
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #174
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Vtt8_B0Mk

Here's a nice quarter mile run in an STI equipped with a 7163. Doesn't show off the transients where the EFRs really shine, but still a good video.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #175
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
Wait, whats that? A bypass valve as close as possible to the compressor?

Put there by the manufacturer?

say it aint so!!!

"Integrated compressor recirculation valve (CRV) to help avoid compressor surge and backflow during a throttle lift event."
Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #176
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Vtt8_B0Mk

Here's a nice quarter mile run in an STI equipped with a 7163. Doesn't show off the transients where the EFRs really shine, but still a good video.
Wow! Really dig it! What did he run?? According to my stop watch, around mid-high 11s??
Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #177
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Nope, try mid-high 10's. He ran a 10.70 at 131.39 mph (It's in the title of the video btw...)
Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #178
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Nope, try mid-high 10's. He ran a 10.70 at 131.39 mph (It's in the title of the video btw...)

Nice time (and yeah, my comp at work blocks all tag line sans video, so never even saw the description)!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #179
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

FInished.......Dyno results coming after this wed. EFR 8374 Dual Turbosmart comp gate 40's Turbosmart upgraded BOV (not sure if it'll even perform better than the recirc) And All Powered by Flex fuel E85. 4" straight through exhaust...should give me something exciting!!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #180
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Had to cut the session short due to an obvious over boost problem. But man this turbo is an incredible piece of engineering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140710_152427.jpg (64.5 KB, 114 views)