Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #151
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just get over fenders
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #152
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo1222 View Post
Not sure how familiar you are with body work, but protip of the day, buy good quality light weight bodyfiller, not that garbage bondo brand from walmart. My favorite to use is Napa's "Crossfire" brand. Lays smooth and sands 100x easier than the cheaper stuff.
I actually take auto collision repair at my high school. My first choice was auto repair but it was full so i had to settle with collision repair but its teaching me a lot about body work which is good. I will definately look into your recommended brand, thank you
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #153
wattupbaii
Leaky Injector

wattupbaii is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
I actually take auto collision repair at my high school. My first choice was auto repair but it was full so i had to settle with collision repair but its teaching me a lot about body work which is good. I will definately look into your recommended brand, thank you
0.o your school is the shit
wattupbaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #154
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Man do I wish I had an auto shop when I went to highschool. I had to take a 45 minute bus ride every day to a vocational school for Auto Tech. And my teacher was a prick who didnt teach us anything besides what was in the text book (learned basically all I know from my old man). Hope your class is better!
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #155
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

You little fucking bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

dont mind me, I am just dying of jealousy!
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #156
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Sorry for the wait guys..Update!

Since i have so much time to wait for my turbo, i decided to start fixing the body and rust on my car. It has a ton of rust, but im happy it does. Its good for me to learn how to fix it.

Anyways, got my new MIG welder this week and i went to work with it, but my welds are nothing special yet for 2 reasons. 1, i am a beginner, and 2 i am still playing with the heat and wire speed settings and figuring the perfect setting.
The start of fixing that horrible plastic filler repair job that was done before i had the car.

I truly regret painting with that stupid ass truck bed liner. just another mistake i learn from.

Yes, my welds suck i know. brand new welder and im still playing with the adjustments, but it got the job done and it doesnt need to be a perfect bead but my welds will be getting much better soon.

Turbo is still on backorder but for now i will be continuing to fix my rust, weld my diff, install my aero (no idea how) and prep for my paint job..not plastidip.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #157
ayrtonlucyk

ayrtonlucyk is an unknown quantity at this point
you only become a better welder with pratice, keep it up and they will look better in no time
ayrtonlucyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #158
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
Dont figure theres a chance youd be looking to get rid of your mud guards would you
Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #159
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo1222 View Post
Dont figure theres a chance youd be looking to get rid of your mud guards would you
the fender liner or the flaps? pretty sure i threw the flaps out but i have 1 more on i think
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #160
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
hey man, ive seen worse welds lol. on the first day of actual welding we got to do at vocational school you should've seen some of the welds people were putting down..
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #161
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
the fender liner or the flaps? pretty sure i threw the flaps out but i have 1 more on i think
The flaps. I grabbed a set from a vert a while back not realizing at the time that the passenger side doesn't fit a hatch. If you tossed em, no biggie
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #162
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Sorry for the wait guys..Update!

Since i have so much time to wait for my turbo, i decided to start fixing the body and rust on my car. It has a ton of rust, but im happy it does. Its good for me to learn how to fix it.

Anyways, got my new MIG welder this week and i went to work with it, but my welds are nothing special yet for 2 reasons. 1, i am a beginner, and 2 i am still playing with the heat and wire speed settings and figuring the perfect setting.
The start of fixing that horrible plastic filler repair job that was done before i had the car.

I truly regret painting with that stupid ass truck bed liner. just another mistake i learn from.

Yes, my welds suck i know. brand new welder and im still playing with the adjustments, but it got the job done and it doesnt need to be a perfect bead but my welds will be getting much better soon.

Turbo is still on backorder but for now i will be continuing to fix my rust, weld my diff, install my aero (no idea how) and prep for my paint job..not plastidip.
Impressive. (not the weld, but that you're welding).

If you don't have a clean looking bead, it's a good idea to grind it down flush for a closer look-see, so you know if there's any spots you need to hit again. And don't forget to seal/paint the backside, it will have burnt all the paint off (and sand off the burnt crap so it will stick), and it would be a shame to have your fresh repair rust out exactly the same way.

Does this mean that the (implied) plan is no longer drive it into the ground and buy an s14?

*edit* a lot of welding is just feel/instinct, practice is all that will help. If you have a chance to get scrap steel, do it, and cut/weld it up every way you can, repeatedly. It will help, and is fun, too.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #163
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Impressive. (not the weld, but that you're welding).

If you don't have a clean looking bead, it's a good idea to grind it down flush for a closer look-see, so you know if there's any spots you need to hit again. And don't forget to seal/paint the backside, it will have burnt all the paint off (and sand off the burnt crap so it will stick), and it would be a shame to have your fresh repair rust out exactly the same way.

Does this mean that the (implied) plan is no longer drive it into the ground and buy an s14?

*edit* a lot of welding is just feel/instinct, practice is all that will help. If you have a chance to get scrap steel, do it, and cut/weld it up every way you can, repeatedly. It will help, and is fun, too.
Yea i am going to seal the underside and all that when i get it on the lift. The welds suck also because im still adjusting the settings of the new welder. I dont get your s14 joke but that never was the plan. And yeah i have a big sheet im going to be practicing every day.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #164
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update.. Took off the blown turbo, dropped the SR in. did this because my new turbo is on backorder till november, and thats just crazy so i am going to wire the car, start body work, do everything i can and then put the turbo on and start it.
Forklifts make life easier..protected my valve cover from any scratches.

Wirng mess....
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #165
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
You are going to absolutly hate putting the turbo back in with the motor in the bay... It sucks.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #166
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^^^^ True that. It sucks. The motor looks good in there though. Kinda funny that your in Auto Body, I was in Auto Repair at my school but I wanted to be in Auto body. Keep up the work
theStig880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #167
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
^^^^ True that. It sucks. The motor looks good in there though. Kinda funny that your in Auto Body, I was in Auto Repair at my school but I wanted to be in Auto body. Keep up the work
i know its going to be tough, but would you guys really want your motor to sit on a pallett till november? I just cant do that. I guess im too motivated to let it sit that long. Yeah auto body is good too both shops are good. Nothing better than shop all week every other week.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #168
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Hey man, I'm letting you know I'm in the same boat. Just bought a MIG welder; tempted to weld my diff. Don't do it. Not until you have more experience welding. If your welds come apart inside the diff, they can lock it up in a bad way. Having your wheels unexpectedly lock up on you on the highway can be dangerous.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #169
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
Hey man, I'm letting you know I'm in the same boat. Just bought a MIG welder; tempted to weld my diff. Don't do it. Not until you have more experience welding. If your welds come apart inside the diff, they can lock it up in a bad way. Having your wheels unexpectedly lock up on you on the highway can be dangerous.
I'm pretty sure it could also be very dangerous to just about every moving part of the drivetrain. Would be a shame to ruin an engine or transmission over a cheap differential.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #170
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
I'd say you should have a bit more welding experience before you weld your diff yourself. Have a friend do it or something. That's what I did.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #171
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

I was not planning on welding my diff just yet, i actually already thought about someone else doing it.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #172
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update.. going to work on the car today, hopefully i get the driveshaft in, sort some more wires out and get the intercooler piping all mounted up.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #173
kawitwofiddy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
kawitwofiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
damn dude I wish I could've come across this when you were looking to get a new turbo. my buddy got a new s15 turbo for like 400 bucks and it was decently larger than the t25 and was still a t2 flange and his car absolutely yacks now... Good luck bro im started building my first 240 a year ago when I was 17, and wish I could've gotten one to build before I had gas and insurance expenses. Your in a good spot to make something sick as fuck happen dude.
kawitwofiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #174
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Last night i really looked over my car. The car has so much rust that its unbelievable. My E brake wasn't working and i realized the cable is rusted apart and its snapped. I will soon need a new gas tank, all new brake lines and fuel lines, and i need to cut and weld a ton of spots on my frame. This would usually be a downer for most people, but i am happy because everything is a learning process. My plan is to never sell this car, it will probably see a million different phases, but it will be 100% one day. I also got the driveshaft in. Did it myself but it was easy cause its so light.

QUESTION: What fluids do you guys recommend for the diff, tranny, and engine?

Pics:

Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #175
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Royal purple for pos diff. engine oil its not a big deal just get synthetic and tranny lucas oil
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #176
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Mobil one or redline oil for engine, purolator oil filter, redline mt90 for trans. And whatever for your diff since it's not that great anyway lol
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #177
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Diff, if you're using a stock/welded one, doesn't need any special oil. I guess thicker, to make any wear smoother... wouldn't worry. Any GL-5 gear oil.

Tranny should be AMSOIL, or redline, get the one that's only rated GL-4, not GL-4/GL-5 combo.

Engine, any quality oil, purolator/napa filter, and old-fashioned change intervals if you're driving hard.

Last edited by mechanicalmoron; 10-07-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #178
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Diff, if you're using a stock/welded one, doesn't need any special oil. I guess thicker, to make any wear smoother... wouldn't worry. Any GL-5 gear oil.

Tranny should be AMSOIL, or redline, get the one that's only rated GL-5, not GL-4/GL-5 combo.

Engine, any quality oil, purolator/napa filter, and old-fashioned change intervals if you're driving hard.
You mean GL-4 only? Don't want him eating his synchros apart
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #179
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
What are you going to do with the mudflaps?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #180
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
You mean GL-4 only? Don't want him eating his synchros apart
Quite right, fixed. Dangerous mistake.