Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #17311
livelovesole
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
livelovesole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovesole View Post
Gathering parts to rebuild my SR in the future. Just wondering if this is a good list of components ? If there's more please add or if such a thread already exsist, please direct me in the right direction. The build is going to be mild build ( jwt s3 cams, z32maf, tomei m7960 turbo @ 16-18psi, 740cc inj, etc ) looking for 350whp reliable/daily.

Rebuild components: all parts are new
Oem s13 oil pump
Oem timing chain kit
Supertech valve seals
Arp head & main bolts
Oem full gasket kit
Aem wideband O2 sensor plug
Apexi metal headgasket
Acl race bearings
Acl thrust washers
Oem pilot & throw out bearing
Spec stage 3 clutch
Message is too short.
livelovesole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #17312
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Yep, you unbolt it from the body. Unplug the harness connector and ziptie the plug to the harness.
Awesome! Thank you!
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #17313
O$mo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
O$mo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
planning to extend a set of s14 FLCA 25mm can ikeya formula inners and moog outters handle that length?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #17314
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought an s14 and it came with an aftermarket steering wheel. Luckily the guy gave me the oem steering wheel.

I tried looking around the site and other various sites but I couldn't find out if installing the oem steering wheel was the same as installing an aftermarket steering wheel. Obviously, the difference between the two is that the oem has airbag. But, I need to know if it is a simple task to complete. Thank you.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #17315
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post
I bought an s14 and it came with an aftermarket steering wheel. Luckily the guy gave me the oem steering wheel.

I tried looking around the site and other various sites but I couldn't find out if installing the oem steering wheel was the same as installing an aftermarket steering wheel. Obviously, the difference between the two is that the oem has airbag. But, I need to know if it is a simple task to complete. Thank you.
look up a how to on installing an aftermarket wheel, then do it backwards. it's simple.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #17316
motoman159
Zilvia Member

motoman159 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm wondering if I can take my parts car dash out as one piece by just unbolting the dash bar from the car and unplugging everything and removing it all at once (radio, a/c controls, etc.) without taking it apart in a million pieces, then putting it back like that, but in my car.
motoman159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #17317
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
No. You need to take everything a peice at a time.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #17318
Lompang
Leaky Injector

Lompang is an unknown quantity at this point
Just installed a new control arm everything had to be taken apart and retightened including the tie rods/tension rods and swaybar ends, but when put back together and if I turn slight left it makes a clunk sound. If I turn all the way left or even right it makes no sound at all only if it is slightly left it makes a clunk sound could this be a sign of over tightening something like the tie rod castle nut?
Lompang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #17319
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompang View Post
Just installed a new control arm everything had to be taken apart and retightened including the tie rods/tension rods and swaybar ends, but when put back together and if I turn slight left it makes a clunk sound. If I turn all the way left or even right it makes no sound at all only if it is slightly left it makes a clunk sound could this be a sign of over tightening something like the tie rod castle nut?
Probably bad tie end rods. Replacing your tie ends AND rods makes a huge difference in steering and removes all the slop left over after you do your tension rods and sway bar links. spend $165 on frsport and get some tein rods and ends. that should clear it all up.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #17320
Lompang
Leaky Injector

already have tein rods both inner and outter slapped on joints still fresh
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #17321
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Do you have coilovers? A lot of times the top hats/camber plates will make clunk noises
Old 10-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #17322
240koukiSX
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240koukiSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Does anyone know the difference between the 2 HKS wastegate actuators on frsport for the S15 turbo? There's one that's purple that cost double what the silver one costs. Is the purple one just fancier? As always any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!
240koukiSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #17323
240koukiSX
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240koukiSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240koukiSX View Post
Does anyone know the difference between the 2 HKS wastegate actuators on frsport for the S15 turbo? There's one that's purple that cost double what the silver one costs. Is the purple one just fancier? As always any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!
Never mind!!
240koukiSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #17324
Lompang
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
Do you have coilovers? A lot of times the top hats/camber plates will make clunk noises
yea i thought about that too but i already retightened the camber plates thinking it was them but it didn't help much.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #17325
Kallixtos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (61)
Kallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really nice
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Quote:
yea i thought about that too but i already retightened the camber plates thinking it was them but it didn't help much.
Coilovers make noises sometimes if there is too much preload. The spring binds up because there is nothing allowing it to rotate/articulate. Not sure what type of coils you have.
Kallixtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #17326
Lompang
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscalixto View Post
Coilovers make noises sometimes if there is too much preload. The spring binds up because there is nothing allowing it to rotate/articulate. Not sure what type of coils you have.
Have Megan Coilovers I'm going to reduce the preload then and see what happens
Old 10-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #17327
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
did you replace your power steering rack bushings?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #17328
jlopez7354
Leaky Injector

jlopez7354 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I didn't want to start a new post for this dumb question but do you guys have any horror stories with the police (mainly LAPD since i live in SoCal) pulling you guys over and making you pop open your hood and seeing your engine swap the reason i'm asking is because I'm debating on getting a SR20 in my car right now or selling it and getting something more modern and reliable. My KA is going to need a rebuild soon and I'm about to smog my car so i won't have to worry about smog for a while.
jlopez7354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #17329
Lompang
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
did you replace your power steering rack bushings?
I think I found out the culprit just haven't changed it yet or replaced it, but on further inspection it seems to be that my sway bar end link has lost one of the bushings and is probably the reason for the clunking noise only on the left side. Will replace them and see if that is the problem or not.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #17330
Young Sileighty Kev
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Young Sileighty Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I've searched and I'm not really getting a definite answer. Hopefully someone will clear it up. I'm planning on using a z32 vlsd in my s14. I want to use the tt model axles aswell but it won't work. From what I read, I have to use two N/a driver side axles to make them fit?
Young Sileighty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #17331
overdueBlaSiaN

overdueBlaSiaN is an unknown quantity at this point
SR BOV set-up info

So I have a mostly stock 94 Redtop. It has a BOV (idk the brand) venting to atmosphere and I'm having that common problem of running really really rich, car almost dies when going to neutral or after revving the engine and loud backfires.

So my question is how could I recirculate my BOV without having to spend sooo much money? I've searched everywhere for days and couldn't find a good setup for the right amount of money.

PS: I still have rubber intake tube. Should I replace?
overdueBlaSiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #17332
overdueBlaSiaN

I haven't had any problems with my swap and I honestly don't think you will either. Just as long as your not driving like an asshole. Cops will only ask you to pop your hood if you give them a reason too, like having your car gutted (or giving them a reason to believe you use the car for the track
I've only seen one car get towed and that was because he was driving like a dick and he didn't even have a hood covering his 2Jz swap
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #17333
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdueBlaSiaN View Post
So I have a mostly stock 94 Redtop. It has a BOV (idk the brand) venting to atmosphere and I'm having that common problem of running really really rich, car almost dies when going to neutral or after revving the engine and loud backfires.

So my question is how could I recirculate my BOV without having to spend sooo much money? I've searched everywhere for days and couldn't find a good setup for the right amount of money.

as with all older engines ... especially ones that you haven't personally maintained .. first would be to change all you vac lines (when's the last time those were changed) if the answer is "idk" most likely it's time to change its fairly a cheap fix to

typically a backfire would mean that you have a exhaust leak some where .. so that would probably be you next fix common places (down pipe connector)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #17334
overdueBlaSiaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
as with all older engines ... especially ones that you haven't personally maintained .. first would be to change all you vac lines (when's the last time those were changed) if the answer is "idk" most likely it's time to change its fairly a cheap fix to

typically a backfire would mean that you have a exhaust leak some where .. so that would probably be you next fix common places (down pipe connector)

Yeah I don't think they've been replaced since the swap so I'll add that on my list. Ill check for an exhaust leak tomorrow too. Thanks for the info!
Don't you go to Mira Costa ? Hahaha
Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #17335
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Quote:
Yeah I don't think they've been replaced since the swap so I'll add that on my list. Ill check for an exhaust leak tomorrow too. Thanks for the info!

Don't you go to Mira Costa ? Hahaha

lol yes I do white coupe (some of your friends know me (and my car lol)

S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #17336
overdueBlaSiaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
lol yes I do white coupe (some of your friends know me (and my car lol)

Lol yeah I'm pretty sure we both know Davion(primer hatch/white Rotas) and Richard D(type x hatch)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #17337
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:

switch to a HKS SSQV4, theyre one of the ONLY BOVs that doesnt really cause the rich/bogging issue. stop whining about not spending money and buy QUALITY parts! knock off SSQVs SUCK! (as do all cheap chinese knock offs). think about it like this before you complain about price, your BOV is an important part of your motor just like your turbo, fuel injectors and engine internals. if it doesnt allow air out of the system and is made of cheap metals that will fall apart, do you really want it on your motor causing turbo damage due to compressor surge? would you cheap out on a turbo? would you cheap out on cams? would you cheap out on pistons and rods? spend the money and buy a brand new HKS SSQV4 from an authorized dealer like MVP Motorsports or Z1 Motorsports and enjoy having a BOV that doesnt cause the bogging problem and one that works properly!

rubber intake tube is fine, just make sure you cap the re-circulation inlet with an air tight rubber plug (i found a perfect one at home depot, was like 3 dollars). if youre using those cheap thin couplers, spend the cash and buy some actual quality and thick silicone couplers from HPS. this also goes for quality t-bolt clamps as well. those autozone screw clamps are garbage!

spending the cash on quality stuff to clean up your engine issues helps a ton! buying cheap parts may seem like a good idea at the time, but doing it right the first time and spending an extra $100 is ALWAYS worth it in the long run!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #17338
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
switch to a HKS SSQV4, theyre one of the ONLY BOVs that doesnt really cause the rich/bogging issue. stop whining about not spending money and buy QUALITY parts! knock off SSQVs SUCK!
^^^this! I had one on my sr20 and never had an issue!
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #17339
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do S14 trunks has different bars to close the trunk?

I ask that because I'm trying to install a s14 SE trunk with a wing and it does not close it's too short. Now the weird part is that the trunk I had before had a wing. Reason why I removed it is because it's red so I swapped it out for a black trunk. They both look identical, I have no idea why it does not close.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #17340
richie_55

richie_55 is an unknown quantity at this point
If they are identical check the latch position on car you may have to move it around a bit, I had a similar problem
richie_55 is offline   Reply With Quote