Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #16501
240sxDavid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
240sxDavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quick question, I just bought a HUD digital cluster and I have a 90 sohc, some people have been telling me that I don't need the sub harness, and some people are telling me I do what is exactly necessary for me to have this baby working correctly?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
240sxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #16502
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I put the digital cluster in my hatch and I would say you definitely need the sub harness.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

@meadwa
240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #16503
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
can someone tell me the all the parts i need to swap in a j30 vlsd into a 91 240sx non abs and what needs to be swapped out? what year j30 diff is the best? or should i go with another diff? etc. just looking for some advice. thanks
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #16504
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So i have very little braking on my s13. pedal is firm all the way down, fluid comes out of all 4 corners just fine when i bleed the brakes (bled them 10 times) new calipers all around, new master, bled the master before install, i have 1 new rubber hose on the rear pass side, just installed a new (used, but working) booster. i am stumped. could one or more of the rubber hoses that i havent changed yet give me no braking?

Edit: i have project mu pads on stock calipers, and the e brake wont even lock up the rear tires when driving. if i pull the e brake, it stops me just as slowly as if i pressed the brake pedal
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #16505
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
My fuel gauge just randomly stopped working. I replaced an alternator wire and a fuel line if that matters. What's going on? I have also noticed I can't reset the trip odometer.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #16506
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
My fuel gauge just randomly stopped working. I replaced an alternator wire and a fuel line if that matters. What's going on? I have also noticed I can't reset the trip odometer.
check the fuel pump assembly. float probably came off. and your odometer, thats just old age

@meadwa
240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #16507
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

what is that this nut called and how do i remove it? its on the rear hubs on my 13
Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #16508
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
straighten the two ends of the cotter pin, pull it out, remove the washer behind it, and unbolt the nut. Its a large socket, 36mm I believe. Sorry, dont know the name of the nut....wheel hub nut?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #16509
Tryflinkeith757

Trader Rating: (0)
Tryflinkeith757 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to say Castle Nut, cuz of the slots on top for the cotter pin

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #16510
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Ok, this might be a stupid question so please dont flame me.
Im about to drop an sr into my car; it has s15 injectors/turbo, z32 maf, and your basic bolt on mods such as lightened flywheel, aftermarket clutch, 3" elbow/downpipe/exhaust, tubular manifold, large front mount intercooler, etc.. My friend is saying that we shouldnt start it up and that I should go to the place that Im getting it tuned and have them put a base map on my ECU so that we can start it and then granny drive it to the shop. Is this necessary?

EDIT: to clarify the question, is acquiring the base map for initial start up necessary? Will I be alright to start the engine, check for leaks, etc, and drive [in vacuum] to the tuner?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #16511
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
straighten the two ends of the cotter pin, pull it out, remove the washer behind it, and unbolt the nut. Its a large socket, 36mm I believe. Sorry, dont know the name of the nut....wheel hub nut?
should just be axle nut? since its on the rear on a 240... either way, 99% sure its a 36mm too as you stated
Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #16512
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
should just be axle nut? since its on the rear on a 240... either way, 99% sure its a 36mm too as you stated
what i mean is that do you need a special tool to take it out? or just pry it out? i know how to take the cotter pin out and the bolt behind that thing. ive just never seen/noticed that part
Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #16513
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

What part dude?? Take the cotter pin out, remove the washer, remove the nut. Are you looking to take the actual hub off? 4 bolts on the back (must do some rotating to get to all of them) then, strap on (lol) a pulley puller and crank that bitch all the way and the hub will slide off. Im not sure what else you are asking..maybe some information from the z32 brake swap guide will help you? http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

I looked at your picture again and the only thing I can think of that you arent sure about is the wavy looking washer behind the cotter pin; after you pull the pin out the washer will just slide right off
Old 04-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #16514
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
What part dude?? Take the cotter pin out, remove the washer, remove the nut. Are you looking to take the actual hub off? 4 bolts on the back (must do some rotating to get to all of them) then, strap on (lol) a pulley puller and crank that bitch all the way and the hub will slide off. Im not sure what else you are asking..maybe some information from the z32 brake swap guide will help you? http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

I looked at your picture again and the only thing I can think of that you arent sure about is the wavy looking washer behind the cotter pin; after you pull the pin out the washer will just slide right off
my bad. and yeah im talking about that wavy thingy. so its just a washer and just slides off?

Last edited by juhd; 04-19-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #16515
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Is the Tomei shifter supposed to have about 10mm of vertical play (moves up and down on shifter plate)???

Does it use the OEM upper plastic ring piece? The one without the pins...

All the installs I've seen don't include this.... but that's the only thing I can think of.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #16516
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
So i have very little braking on my s13. pedal is firm all the way down, fluid comes out of all 4 corners just fine when i bleed the brakes (bled them 10 times) new calipers all around, new master, bled the master before install, i have 1 new rubber hose on the rear pass side, just installed a new (used, but working) booster. i am stumped. could one or more of the rubber hoses that i havent changed yet give me no braking?

Edit: i have project mu pads on stock calipers, and the e brake wont even lock up the rear tires when driving. if i pull the e brake, it stops me just as slowly as if i pressed the brake pedal
Huh?

The parking brake should not bring the car to a screeching stop, you're just pulling on wires that go to the rear brakes... the reason you can brake the rear away is that when you're trying to start a drift or something, you're already at the edge of your tires grip - so they can lock more easily, having less to overcome.

Assuming your pedal stops the car (locks the wheels or comes close) and your handbrake works, I don't get what you're complaining about. Bleeding the brakes more times, or replacing random hoses, will do absolutely NOTHING. Is there anything now that's dramatically worse than before you started?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #16517
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Found this on ebay... picture shows a upper aluminum collar circled in red that I've never seen before.

I do have the lower aluminum collar installed but I guess I need an upper one as well....I measured and should be about 5-6mm thick. Can anyone confirm?

All the pics I've seen online do not include this so a little confused.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #16518
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Huh?

The parking brake should not bring the car to a screeching stop, you're just pulling on wires that go to the rear brakes... the reason you can brake the rear away is that when you're trying to start a drift or something, you're already at the edge of your tires grip - so they can lock more easily, having less to overcome.

Assuming your pedal stops the car (locks the wheels or comes close) and your handbrake works, I don't get what you're complaining about. Bleeding the brakes more times, or replacing random hoses, will do absolutely NOTHING. Is there anything now that's dramatically worse than before you started?
i did a complete chassis swap, and since i got the new car running i have to stand on the brake pedal and basically i wouldn't be able to avoid hitting something in front of me if it was 100 feet away from where i hit the brake pedal. which, i should be able to brake faster than that if everything was operating correctly
Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #16519
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My redtop Sr20 will not start and I am running out of ideas. I posted earlier and was recommended that my starter was the issue. I replaced my old starter with a known good one and it still will not start on its on. It used to click rapidly so I had the battery charged.

Now it sounds like it wants to turnover for a second and then makes no noise at all. The perplexing part is that it will start and run perfectly if I jump it off. So I have a new battery and working starter but it wont start up on its own.
theStig880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #16520
zenki 95
Zilvia Junkie

zenki 95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check your connection grounds. If it starts jumped either means bad batt and connections or a crazy draw somewhere

TAPATALK
Old 04-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #16521
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
KA-T issues.. Idles and runs super rich, below 10:1 af. Enthalpy tune, n62, 370cc, bkr6e-11 gapped to about .36

Vac at 22-24hg at idle warm

.486volts at maf output when key is in the on position
1.1 to 1.2ish when running
One ground wire to chassis one to ECU

Stock fuel pump, stock fpr, injectors dont leak.. New o rings and tested with rail off they wont leak when fuel pump priming.

NO ecu codes except 55 which is fine.

What should I look at next? Maybe combining grounds on maf??? Bad tune maybe (it is not a new tune, bought through someone else)?? I had a code for knock and maf the day before and reset them and the car ran perfect for about 1 minute.. 14-15 a/f on idle then all off a sudden drops to 10:1.. no codes though
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #16522
terrance john
Leaky Injector

terrance john is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaanrel View Post
can someone tell me the all the parts i need to swap in a j30 vlsd into a 91 240sx non abs and what needs to be swapped out? what year j30 diff is the best? or should i go with another diff? etc. just looking for some advice. thanks

I would like this question answered also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
terrance john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #16523
eZiR- rps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
eZiR- rps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrance john View Post
I would like this question answered also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
are you referring to just swapping the entire diff?, if so just need an abs driveshaft and for it to have the 6 bolt axles...
as for swapping the internals, I've done several, one of the output shafts need to be grinded down a bit ... and other stuff
hustle hard
eZiR- rps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #16524
Arrowking
Zilvia Member

Arrowking is an unknown quantity at this point
My speedo doesn't begin to read until about 30ish mph. And when it does read it begins at 0 so 70mph reads at 45mph. Is there a screw on the back of the speedo to adjust this? I've read that there is but cannot find one except a "2P" screw but I'm not sure if it's right.
Arrowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #16525
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Ok, this might be a stupid question so please dont flame me.
Im about to drop an sr into my car; it has s15 injectors/turbo, z32 maf, and your basic bolt on mods such as lightened flywheel, aftermarket clutch, 3" elbow/downpipe/exhaust, tubular manifold, large front mount intercooler, etc.. My friend is saying that we shouldnt start it up and that I should go to the place that Im getting it tuned and have them put a base map on my ECU so that we can start it and then granny drive it to the shop. Is this necessary?

EDIT: to clarify the question, is acquiring the base map for initial start up necessary? Will I be alright to start the engine, check for leaks, etc, and drive [in vacuum] to the tuner?
Anyone?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #16526
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowking View Post
My speedo doesn't begin to read until about 30ish mph. And when it does read it begins at 0 so 70mph reads at 45mph. Is there a screw on the back of the speedo to adjust this? I've read that there is but cannot find one except a "2P" screw but I'm not sure if it's right.
are you sure its not the VSS?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #16527
Arrowking
Zilvia Member

Arrowking is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
are you sure its not the VSS?
Yep, I already changed it (the gear was originally stripped) and checked it.
Arrowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #16528
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Anyone?
Probably will run like shit with oversized injectors. Make sure you have a air fuel gauge hooked up. But I would feel safer going with a base map

Last edited by solo_ryder; 04-21-2014 at 06:53 PM..
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #16529
S14jake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
S14jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've seen a ton of threads about using a kade power steering pump on an sr. My question is, are the s13 and 14 pumps the same? I'm looking around and seeing different part numbers and prices.

Cheapest dual cam pump is ok for a redtop?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #16530
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Do most OEM Nissan wheels use 60-degree taper lug nuts, same as aftermarket wheels?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote