Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #1441
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA
FLCA prototype

As you can see the connection point for the tension rod is as far towards the inside as we could get it so that if your car has super crazy knuckles your wheel wont be hitting.

That is sweet.
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #1442
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
And now PSM makes every suspension arm for the s-chassis. So cool.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #1443
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The rod ends on the outside still scare me though...

Would be much more comfortable if it was a spherical bearing inside a bearing cup mount.

Also, have you guys tested those out yet? I'm curious to see what the effects are with zero steering axis inclination on those arms.

BTW, slight update from me: last night, I was taking my passenger side front coilover's spring off so I can work on that side, and while mounting the coilover back up, I decided to mount it so the slot in the camber plate is diagonally pointed, so I can mess with caster a little bit there.

Haven't really gotten anywhere with that yet, as the passenger side spacers and shims need to be dremelled down a little bit first, since I'm binding a little bit approaching full lock, so once that's done, I should have a little more info about how that setup would be like.

So far, it looks like I might have lost some camber, but the upside is, the caster looked less severe, even over stock, so the wheels shouldn't get huge camber changes while in the full lock positions, so no need to run ridiculous amount of camber.

Downside is, my wheels might not fit under the fender anymore due to the lack of camber lol D'OH!!!
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #1444
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
cant wait till some of all their prototypes are available!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #1445
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post

Would be much more comfortable if it was a spherical bearing inside a bearing cup mount.

Also, have you guys tested those out yet? I'm curious to see what the effects are with zero steering axis inclination on those arms.
I'm sure it will go through plenty of testing.

And, the arm doesn't really have an effect on steering axis, the rod end/shank will be angled when put in the ball joint hole.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #1446
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I'm sure it will go through plenty of testing.

And, the arm doesn't really have an effect on steering axis, the rod end/shank will be angled when put in the ball joint hole.
Well then I hope there's enough room for the pin to move around on those rod ends and not bind up.

That's how my setup is getting me into trouble, the bearing itself is on the edge of almost not having enough range of motion.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #1447
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:

BTW, slight update from me: last night, I was taking my passenger side front coilover's spring off so I can work on that side, and while mounting the coilover back up, I decided to mount it so the slot in the camber plate is diagonally pointed, so I can mess with caster a little bit there.

Haven't really gotten anywhere with that yet, as the passenger side spacers and shims need to be dremelled down a little bit first, since I'm binding a little bit approaching full lock, so once that's done, I should have a little more info about how that setup would be like.

So far, it looks like I might have lost some camber, but the upside is, the caster looked less severe, even over stock, so the wheels shouldn't get huge camber changes while in the full lock positions, so no need to run ridiculous amount of camber.

Downside is, my wheels might not fit under the fender anymore due to the lack of camber lol D'OH!!!
Haha, that's a clever idea! You can always wallow out the top bolt hole for some camber if you need to - assuming you have enough space between your wheel and coilover.

I may have to mock that up once everything is bolted together on my front suspension.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #1448
SoSideways
Post Whore!

As you can see, it sits like a good inch more forward, but you're losing a lot of camber from that.

Then again, I just realized, I can reposition it so that it's diagonal the other way, so that I'd still have a bit of camber, but also less caster.

Guess I was a bit more tired yesterday when I started to do this than I thought... I knew something wasn't quite right lol good thing I decided to post this on here hahaha
Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1449
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Slot the upper bolt hole in the upright.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #1450
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
~ Some fitting on the car revealed the proper angle of the rod end (not the stock angle).
~ Pillowball is near its max while the car is on the lift and it is well within its range while the car is on the road.
~ You can see that the tension rod is just inside the front sway bar so if you were to do some knuckle mod with zero ackerman you have the freedom here.
~ We repositioned the SAK like Tommy Roberts proto knuckle and also did the same Roll Center adjustment.
~ As you can see there is massive angle achieved here with additional reduction in ackerman and the tie rod is NOT overcentered and the rack has not been moved.
~ Dont let the camera fool you there is still some ackerman otherwise we would be touching the sway bar with the wheel.
~ Knuckle RC mod puts the LCA end joint really close to the brake rotor which is the reason for the double LCA adjusters.
~ This LCA needs to be really long (and the tie rods too) so before the REIB police come after me, let me test this at the track first and then we may put a non adjustable end on the LCA but unfortunately that may require two different lengths of LCA one for RC modded knuckled and one for normal knuckles.
~ We did not change the KPI angle much here but it will need to be more vertical if additional RC change is done through the use of a longer taper rod. However I dont think the car will need more RC change in the front since most automotive engineers would agree that the the roll axis inclination needs to be lower in front. I'll let the track testing be the judge.

How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!

Last edited by DC Dan MAX USA; 08-19-2010 at 09:51 PM..
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #1451
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Good God Almighty! That is amazing! I can't wait for some cool testing videos. Please keep up the great work Dan.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #1452
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
you just changed my fucking life right now Dan, I have no use for any of these parts but I would totally buy them if I was into drifting.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #1453
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

i know that all looks epic for drifting but what about us lil guys the grip guys lol that looks insane though lol
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #1454
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
best compliments ever! thanks guys.

Drift or grip, its just different settings.

Grip guys need to do all of the mods except the steering angle and you are good.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #1455
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Very, VERY cool Dan. I can't wait to see how your track testing goes!

I hope mine prove to work as well as I hope they do.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #1456
recklessrob

recklessrob is an unknown quantity at this point
msglength ftw

Last edited by recklessrob; 08-20-2010 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: nevermind
recklessrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #1457
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Ya I just don't want all that crazy angle not sure how you dial it out, as I thought this was a fixed package deal
Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #1458
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
Ya I just don't want all that crazy angle not sure how you dial it out, as I thought this was a fixed package deal
Ummm, don't turn that far? They can make them so that they barely change your ackerman at all. All it will be like is having a Hicas rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
~ We did not change the KPI angle much here but it will need to be more vertical if additional RC change is done through the use of a longer taper rod. However I dont think the car will need more RC change in the front since most automotive engineers would agree that the the roll axis inclination needs to be lower in front. I'll let the track testing be the judge.

I'm pretty sure this is the craziest angle I've ever seen. Looks like you had to kink the arms up after all eh? Cool stuff.

Don't forget however, that the front roll center also drops faster than the rear. I'm sure you'll be able to figure everything out during testing.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #1459
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Yea well, that's dumb "don't turn that far", that's not a smart answer or solution.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #1460
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Pretty sure you could get adjustable stops put on so the wheel would stop before it gets crazy angle.

Or you could just have crazy angle and never use it unless you absolutely need it. (Better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.)
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #1461
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

I rather not have it, anything could happen and suddenly i could accidentally turn that much in a race situation i rather not.. i know it sounds stupid but its just as stupid as saying well dont turn that far... seriously Ah well I'm sure PBM will have a solution for us grip guys
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #1462
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

You are making no sense.

Use the steering wheel like you normally would. It's not hard.

Of course you will have to get used to the quicker steering, but that's not hard either.

I'm sure if you're really worried about it, PSM will weld an adjustable bumpstop on the LCA for you.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #1463
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
~ Some fitting on the car revealed the proper angle of the rod end (not the stock angle).
~ Pillowball is near its max while the car is on the lift and it is well within its range while the car is on the road.
~ You can see that the tension rod is just inside the front sway bar so if you were to do some knuckle mod with zero ackerman you have the freedom here.
~ We repositioned the SAK like Tommy Roberts proto knuckle and also did the same Roll Center adjustment.
~ As you can see there is massive angle achieved here with additional reduction in ackerman and the tie rod is NOT overcentered and the rack has not been moved.
~ Dont let the camera fool you there is still some ackerman otherwise we would be touching the sway bar with the wheel.
~ Knuckle RC mod puts the LCA end joint really close to the brake rotor which is the reason for the double LCA adjusters.
~ This LCA needs to be really long (and the tie rods too) so before the REIB police come after me, let me test this at the track first and then we may put a non adjustable end on the LCA but unfortunately that may require two different lengths of LCA one for RC modded knuckled and one for normal knuckles.
A lot of those points I have already covered with my reports, so I guess it's true even for arms of different design.

Take note people.

So far, I've noticed 3 definite things that is true between all the different types of FLCA designs:

1) if you are low, the FLCAs have to be quite long to place the ball joint/spherical bearing/rod ends in their optimal range.

2) if you are low, the tie rods themselves have to be pretty long. Tein S-chassis tie rods I know for a fact should be long enough for the job, if you pair them up with the SPL tie rod ends. I think the Ikeya Formula tie rods will be long enough too, from the measurements that Dan gave me awhile back.

3) if you space the FLCAs too much, there will come a point where the arm itself (if it uses a spherical bearing) or the rod end will come into contact with the brake rotor.

4) if you have too much angle, you will hit the tension rods

5) if you have too much angle, you will hit the tie rods, and/or hit the brake caliper bracket in the wheel well and the lip on the frame.

Quote:
I rather not have it, anything could happen and suddenly i could accidentally turn that much in a race situation i rather not.. i know it sounds stupid but its just as stupid as saying well dont turn that far... seriously Ah well I'm sure PBM will have a solution for us grip guys
Instead of spinning out on track, you could be a hero and save it with that much angle.

You do sound stupid as hell.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #1464
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

mother of god
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #1465
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

BTW, PSM makes tie rods (inner and outer) now as well. Inners are long like S14.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #1466
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
slow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

i remember back in the enjuku racing, matt back vasssssss days they used to setup their front like this. saw the cars in chicago for formula d a few years ago. said it helped out with caster adjustmet. haven't notice anyone else in formula d running it like that since then. not sure if i have any pics from that long ago or not.....
slow_sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #1467
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

DAMN those tie rods look more beefy than my tein z33 tie rods with spl outers holyyy

And dude, i like quicker steering BUT don't want the angle that is all and I hope they have a solution to adjust that or whatever with different length 'locks' or something to differentiate or whatever.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #1468
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Then when you get their SAK, tell them to grind that plate down so that instead of it angling outward for more angle, to angle it inward like stock, and use the hole towards the front and not the hole in the back (that's what she said).

Jebus, this isn't rocket science.

After 49 pages of this shit, I figured people would have a little more understanding on how this stuff works by now.

FUCK.

Anyway, slow_sr20, after going out to the garage and messing with different ways of mounting the camber plate up top, I decided to leave it the "stock" way, where it just goes straight in and out (that's what she said) to adjust only camber, as when I flipped it the other way, there were BARELY any noticeable difference in caster... like, maybe half an inch more forward (due to the camber plate design though, other camber plates might result in something different), but I lose a lot more camber doing this, thus it was actually like taking a step forward, then 2 steps back.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #1469
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Yeah bro... there is 2 tie rod mounting holes on the PSM knuckles to choose from...

mount in on the farther back hole, slower steering, less angle.

lol so simple.

and you make no sense... usually the grip guys dont want the super fast steering, its not the angle that bothers them.....
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #1470
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Nah, grip guys want the faster steering.

That's why the Evos tend to have a "sharper handling characteristic" over the Imprezas, because Evos came with a pretty damn quick steering rack. The Imprezas were stuck with a relatively slow rack.

I just put in a HICAS rack, at least I hope it's a HICAS rack... it only takes like a turn an a half to hit full lock from center. From what I can remember, that's a bit quicker than the stock non-HICAS racks.