Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #871
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Really? damn on my track days, the xp12's on my 300zx's are cooking my rotors by the end of the day... I had to put in ducting.... Works great now....

The XP8's cook my rear rotors almost....

Have to think about that upgrade after engine build.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #872
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Really? damn on my track days, the xp12's on my 300zx's are cooking my rotors by the end of the day... I had to put in ducting.... Works great now....

The XP8's cook my rear rotors almost....

Have to think about that upgrade after engine build.
When I was on the stock 300zx stuff, I'd agree that I'd end up getting them hot and they'd have a hard time working as intended. Going to the 12/10 helped the setup, as did going to the larger rotor (better internal venting on the Cobra rotor too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
The pad is huge and the calipers, brackets and hats are nice and stiff so it's easy to modulate.
That's another benefit of them...it just seemed that car was just easier to bring down from speed with this new setup. Then again it's a full optioned s14 too, so I've got an easy 400 on your car with me in it (scarey to know the weight difference). I can say this though, the DefSport Wilwood setup works damn good, at least up to 5th gear limiter so far

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #873
0wn3r
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
That's another benefit of them...it just seemed that car was just easier to bring down from speed with this new setup. Then again it's a full optioned s14 too, so I've got an easy 400 on your car with me in it (scarey to know the weight difference). I can say this though, the DefSport Wilwood setup works damn good, at least up to 5th gear limiter so far
What are you running for rears? I'm struggling over here trying to figure out what rear setup to pair up with that same front kit. I still have the stock S14 rears... I'm a little worried about bias, but the S14 auto booster may be able to correct some of that?

In a way, I'd like to get the Z32 rears and the 1" BMC, but that rear parking brake assembly looks like a PITA and truthfully I'd prefer to rebuilt/reman'd calipers.

I've seen the ArizonaZ brake page, but I dunno...I prefer an e-brake over a line lock in case I ever wind up trying out drifting.

I suppose I should be posting pics here to qualify the other half of posting in this thread lol.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #874
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0wn3r View Post
What are you running for rears? I'm struggling over here trying to figure out what rear setup to pair up with that same front kit. I still have the stock S14 rears... I'm a little worried about bias, but the S14 auto booster may be able to correct some of that?

In a way, I'd like to get the Z32 rears and the 1" BMC, but that rear parking brake assembly looks like a PITA and truthfully I'd prefer to rebuilt/reman'd calipers.
I'm running stock S14 calipers on Altima rotors, with the XP12 pads. S14 Manual booster+Z31 M/C to keep the split similar to the JDM Silvia K car combo. Then again my feel may be off as I'm used to shitty car setups, but if this works (comfortably) at 160+ at the Glen, I'm totally fine with it. And that's not even at 20 psi either. I'd say every track sees me at least at 140mph minimum, and the brakes have never had a problem.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #875
Ralliart4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Ralliart4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'm running stock S14 calipers on Altima rotors, with the XP12 pads. S14 Manual booster+Z31 M/C to keep the split similar to the JDM Silvia K car combo. Then again my feel may be off as I'm used to shitty car setups, but if this works (comfortably) at 160+ at the Glen, I'm totally fine with it. And that's not even at 20 psi either. I'd say every track sees me at least at 140mph minimum, and the brakes have never had a problem.
Yezzer, that altima rear rotor is a gem of a rear brake option and can be done for almost no cost at all. I run the z33 tracks with z32 calipers and the altima/z31 rears with no problems.. the only thing i may be short of is a slightly stronger master cylinder.
Ralliart4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #876
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart4 View Post
Yezzer, that altima rear rotor is a gem of a rear brake option and can be done for almost no cost at all. I run the z33 tracks with z32 calipers and the altima/z31 rears with no problems.. the only thing i may be short of is a slightly stronger master cylinder.
I've contemplated going with the 1" MC, but I don't have any wierd front or rear lock up issues...which is what leads me to beleive I've got the knee/splint point sorted. I've contemplated an auto booster though too.

But yes, that rear Altima rotor setup works so well. I wasn't up to pay for the Z32 setup, nor deal with the lines/e brake stuff at all. It was the next best thing IMO. Sure a vented rotor would be cool, but I'm not cooking them. I hate to sound cocky, but if I'm not having an issue, I don't see how others could be.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #877
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
I cook them pretty easily... with xp10's out back though
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #878
meimeilarry

Trader Rating: (0)
meimeilarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why are you going with the Buddy club coil overs? Are they valved for race tires? I was told that none of the JDM coil overs are properly valved for race tires. Even the Zeal super functions say recomended for semi slick use.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #879
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Had my first track event this weekend at the outside road course in Vegas. I was actually surprised the 2-way didnt really cause any problems. I was running damn hot though seeing temps of 250 after four laps. Do SRs normally run that hot? I was considering v mount anyway, but not this soon.

The only video I've found so far is from a gopro in someone elses car, but I figure it's better than nothing. Not my fastest lap either since we were still being paced by an instructor.
I come into frame a little after 2:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiMwhN0c3I
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #880
slider2828
Post Whore!

What cooling are you running? But nope, I run a GT2871R at 19PSI on the track and get no higher than about 85-90 Celsius...

Swirl Pot, Distilled Water + WaterWetter Only, Koyo Rad, Stance Oversized Water Pump pulley, Oil Cooler...

Done...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #881
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
have you seen this guy yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhpdsifzkw

pretty quick for what he has
and thats his second time on that track with the s14, first time he went on that track with that car he also did a 2:08.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #882
Kirin

Kirin is an unknown quantity at this point
^ that civic in front of him is pretty darn fast.
Kirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #883
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

4/8/12

im going to play again in june!
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #884
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
What cooling are you running? But nope, I run a GT2871R at 19PSI on the track and get no higher than about 85-90 Celsius...

Swirl Pot, Distilled Water + WaterWetter Only, Koyo Rad, Stance Oversized Water Pump pulley, Oil Cooler...

Done...
Sorry, just saw this. Mostly factory stuff GSP fmic, Koyo rad, dual fans, and a colder thermostat and oil cooler on the way.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #885
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
which dual fans?

stance2828, does the stance oversized water pump pulley really works? at what rpms do you shift at? still running fan clutch I guess..
Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #886
driftthis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
driftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
What colder (coolant) thermostats are you guys running? What are the alternatives for sr20dets? Any experience with Cosworth thermostats?

Last edited by driftthis; 05-03-2012 at 07:55 AM..
driftthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #887
t0mmyd
Zilvia Member

t0mmyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
have you seen this guy yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhpdsifzkw

pretty quick for what he has
and thats his second time on that track with the s14, first time he went on that track with that car he also did a 2:08.
thats sickk!

i was at buttonwillow track on april 21st. it was my first time track, but it was awesome. i only saw one fellow 240 there though. a whit kouki
t0mmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #888
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

who wants to drive SOW on july 7/8th? lmk i got a code for 95 bucks with free timing and food.

also did someone sign up for BW june 3rd?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #889
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftthis View Post
What colder (coolant) thermostats are you guys running? What are the alternatives for sr20dets? Any experience with Cosworth thermostats?
i don't think you can go wrong with Nismo.
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #890
tougetuned
Zilvia Member

tougetuned is making a name for him/her selftougetuned is making a name for him/her self
What is everyone here using for DIY alignments? Besides string..
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #891
slider2828
Post Whore!

There is a set from Longacre, but usually I just got to a race shop....
Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #892
nickdk

nickdk is an unknown quantity at this point
I would pay the money to have it setup by a shop.... the entire sport of road racing is expensive. Alignments are $100-$200.. if you are going to spend the massive heaps of cash necessary to go to the track you might as well spend the extra hundred bucks and get it done right.

After its done mark all of your bolts on your suspension so you can tell in your pre track inspection if anything has moved. Until you either change something or something moves you don't have to mess with it...
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #893
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just went to get mine corner weighted and balanced and professionally aligned. It's worth it to me to make sure everything is set right the first time. Also, it's a good way to have a definitive base before you start making changes.
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #894
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs13 View Post
What is everyone here using for DIY alignments? Besides string..
A SmartStrings setup and a digital caster/camber gauge is well worth the investment. Mine's paid for itself countless times.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #895
codyace
Post Whore!

NJMP Memorial Day Weekend. THunderbolt.

Car ran great, cracked rotor ended the day though

Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #896
slider2828
Post Whore!

Cracked rotor? was it heat or was it not a good brand? That sucks man
Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #897
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Cracked rotor? was it heat or was it not a good brand? That sucks man
WilWood Ultralight Rotor

I'm sure it's from heat or stress, but who really knows. Only a few events on them too.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #898
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Looks like it's time to step up to hd48 rotors. I presume those are the gt32s?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #899
slider2828
Post Whore!

Damn gotta pay to play.... are they a lot better than Z32 with cooling ducts and XP14s?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #900
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
Looks like it's time to step up to hd48 rotors. I presume those are the gt32s?
That's what I just did

Quote:
Damn gotta pay to play.... are they a lot better than Z32 with cooling ducts and XP14s?
These brakes BLOW the Z32 setup out of the water. Better modulation, better force...everything. Cheaper in general too!