Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #61
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
Who said flex's were dyno proven? Where is this dyno plot?
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...nce+shock+dyno

http://www.y8spec.com/suspension/sho...20soft_FvD.GIF
For a Miata I believe.

Last edited by D1GP; 09-24-2007 at 08:03 PM..
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #62
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
But if that's for a Miata, then it really tells you nothing. I mean the only way you can get even a useful comparison out of it is to know the miata spring rates and suspension geometry so you can get an idea of what damping ratios they're shooting for. And even then, it's a best guess. I mean the curve doesn't look too bad in terms of cavitation or hysteresis, but they look a little progressive especially in rebound and too linear in compression. But that's just what I can take from a force-displacement plot for a totally different car.

Tim
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #63
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
But if that's for a Miata, then it really tells you nothing. I mean the only way you can get even a useful comparison out of it is to know the miata spring rates and suspension geometry so you can get an idea of what damping ratios they're shooting for. And even then, it's a best guess. I mean the curve doesn't look too bad in terms of cavitation or hysteresis, but they look a little progressive especially in rebound and too linear in compression. But that's just what I can take from a force-displacement plot for a totally different car.

Tim
have you looked at the first link? that one was specifically for an s13. someone overlayed the tein flex over the stance graph.
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #64
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Well then I wonder where the data came from for the overlay plot. If that's the best there is for the flexes then they look like crap. The first 3 lines of the stance stuff were fine for an 8kg/mm spring, but for a 6kg/mm they would need to be a little softer. But they're putting out more rebound force. And just the way the curve looks on there, it looks bad. the lines shouldn't look like that.
DriftAssNation
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #65
GTRS14

GTRS14 is making a name for him/her selfGTRS14 is making a name for him/her selfGTRS14 is making a name for him/her self
hks hypermax rs....yup they do the job really well.....i have them wouldnt get anything different........
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #66
spg240sx
Zilvia Member

spg240sx is making a name for him/her selfspg240sx is making a name for him/her self
I have MR street coilovers for my S14, they are pretty stiff
spg240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #67
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
The only stuff i found on ohlin ttx is that its for bikes heh but thats just google to me What do i know lol...
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #68
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

http://www.ohlins.com/Automotive/Pro...5/Default.aspx

I wouldn't waste too much time looking into it. Unless you're ready to drop a lot of money (+$10k probably) on shocks, it's not going to happen. And who really wants to run a throughrod strut?
DriftAssNation
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #69
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
I heard A'Pexi WS coilovers are fairly comfortable with a 6/4 spring rate...however I'm not sure if they are still in production. :/ I have KTS and they are only unbearable when the street your driving on is horrid (such as D.C._...but that's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericStephenc View Post
we already have a thread for this topic
Then post a link.....
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #70
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Quote:
http://www.ohlins.com/Automotive/Pro...5/Default.aspx

I wouldn't waste too much time looking into it. Unless you're ready to drop a lot of money (+$10k probably) on shocks, it's not going to happen. And who really wants to run a throughrod strut?
I believe the BMW set is $15k, and I'd run a throughrod strut if it meant I had Ohlins They're still way overkill, though. I'd probably stop at Moton 3-ways.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #71
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
OP

which ones did you get?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #72
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInHole View Post
I believe the BMW set is $15k, and I'd run a throughrod strut if it meant I had Ohlins They're still way overkill, though. I'd probably stop at Moton 3-ways.
Yeah, it would be cool, but totally overkill and probably a pain to package. But I would be happy with something like either of these.

This one uses roller bearings instead of a bushing between the strut housing and the shock body. I think that alone drives up the price because I've never been able to find any bearing that would meet those specs without getting something custom made.

But Motons would still be nice, I really want to see the plots for them and how they compare.

But enough about us talking about all the cool options that are a little too expensive and maybe 3 people on here will truly appreciate.

Back to what color coilovers should I get?
DriftAssNation
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #73
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Quote:
But enough about us talking about all the cool options that are a little too expensive and maybe 3 people on here will truly appreciate.

Back to what color coilovers should I get?
Yellow.

End of story.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #74
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Didn't need a dyno graph to see that my coilovers were comfy and not stiff at all. No girl complained about the ride. That was all I needed to know my coilovers were just fine for comfort status.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #75
pbcstylez
Nissanaholic!

pbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to pbcstylez
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
I heard A'Pexi WS coilovers are fairly comfortable with a 6/4 spring rate...however I'm not sure if they are still in production. :/ I have KTS and they are only unbearable when the street your driving on is horrid (such as D.C._...but that's a given.

Then post a link.....
I can confirm the WS coilovers are the most comfortable coils ive driven on DD, I can for a fact tell you not to buy D2s/ksports.

I am Stances, are they're not bad at all for DD

parking lot pimpin...

Seller Feedback here:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ight=pbcstylez
pbcstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #76
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I got my KBee coils, I drove them around on full soft for about 300 miles. I loved it. It felt REALLY NICE. Not bouncy from underdampening (unlike my KTS which made the car look and feel bouncy on full soft).

The car felt connected to the road, but didn't give TOO much unwanted feedback. All in all the KBees feel very nice.

I'm riding on medium stiff all around now, and the car still feels good, but a little more sporty.

I'm gonna try full stiff for about 2 days after I get my alignment. After that it's back to full soft for driving to school and work.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 AM   #77
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I'm in love with my KBees' already

Started out at mid stiff (7 clicks all around) and I really like the ride for my daily driving. Freeway wasn't bad either for where the settings were at.

I'm going to try a lower setting soon and I can only expect a better ride!

Quality on these things looks amazing..
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #78
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
I'm currently rolling on GR+ pros on the softest setting with 40 series tires all around and I don't find the ride harsh.

If you want a comfortable ride with coilovers, don't get solid pillowball mounts like the Sustec Pro S-0C Type IIs or Stance GR sports.
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #79
ryguy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
ryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
My Stance GR Basics arent very harsh when set all the way to soft. My friends don't even complain.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #80
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240FaLKoN View Post
I got my KBee coils, I drove them around on full soft for about 300 miles. I loved it. It felt REALLY NICE. Not bouncy from underdampening (unlike my KTS which made the car look and feel bouncy on full soft).

The car felt connected to the road, but didn't give TOO much unwanted feedback. All in all the KBees feel very nice.

I'm riding on medium stiff all around now, and the car still feels good, but a little more sporty.

I'm gonna try full stiff for about 2 days after I get my alignment. After that it's back to full soft for driving to school and work.
oo now I wanna try out BKee. Hey you should send that aspec for his reviews he needs.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #81
yudalicious
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
As for grip guys wanting soft springs, exactly the opposite is true. We need stiff springs to keep us off our tires.
Not too harsh though. I cringe everytime I see a fellow 240 owner with XXX brand Race model coilovers and all seasons.
yudalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #82
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
You know, Ohlins Montreal rep didn't get back to me with Ohlins' setup for an s13 (or s14). I don't think they have anything for us

So its gotta be custom more than likely Not sure what exactly.

Is there a moton setup for s13 or s14?

If I'm spending money though I would guess that 5k is the upperlimit on a coilover/damper setup...

I just got my SPL parts that I ordered, next project is subframe restoration and alum bushings.. then coilover/damper setup.. but car is currently parked for six months (winter till spring) hehe...
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #83
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
from what I have been in the kei office or dg5 would be my top choice along with the hks and the tein he.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #84
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
You know, Ohlins Montreal rep didn't get back to me with Ohlins' setup for an s13 (or s14). I don't think they have anything for us

So its gotta be custom more than likely Not sure what exactly.

Is there a moton setup for s13 or s14?

If I'm spending money though I would guess that 5k is the upperlimit on a coilover/damper setup...

I just got my SPL parts that I ordered, next project is subframe restoration and alum bushings.. then coilover/damper setup.. but car is currently parked for six months (winter till spring) hehe...
Its possible Ohlins has discontinued their S13 and S14 lines. Our cars are a good 13-17 years old. Japan was the main marketplace for Ohlins for S13. Even there they are coming up on at least 9-10 years old. Yes lots of S13's still used in Japan but Ohlins is very expensive even in Japan. S14's were not as popular as the S13 in Japan.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #85
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
AceInHole : What Konis do you have ?? Would you recomment them for DD and track weekends ??
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #86
AceInHole
Autox Technician

I'm running a 2-way adjustable 8611-1257 in a custom housing. I'd definitely recommend them, as they're easily replaceable once you obtain housings.

The only other real damper options are Bilsteins, which have to be imported at the moment, or Koni Yellows. Bilsteins are non-adjustable, but can be revalved cheaply and easily by a lot of places. The Koni yellows cost a bit more to be revalved, but off the shelf they'll handle springrates that most coilovers run anyways.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #87
vw_nissan
Zilvia Member

vw_nissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInHole View Post
I'm running a 2-way adjustable 8611-1257 in a custom housing. I'd definitely recommend them, as they're easily replaceable once you obtain housings.

The only other real damper options are Bilsteins, which have to be imported at the moment, or Koni Yellows. Bilsteins are non-adjustable, but can be revalved cheaply and easily by a lot of places. The Koni yellows cost a bit more to be revalved, but off the shelf they'll handle springrates that most coilovers run anyways.

Just wondering where you can get custom housing? I am thinking about getting 2871, but need to know who will do the brackets and suck for a s13.
vw_nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #88
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
Silk Road RMA8's They really do feel like you are riding on a silk road bahahah no but really that or tein flex
Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #89
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_nissan View Post
Just wondering where you can get custom housing? I am thinking about getting 2871, but need to know who will do the brackets and suck for a s13.
2817's would be awesome, although I honestly believe that the 8611's are the better deal in terms of price per dollar. My housings were made by veilside180sx, who can be contacted through Freshalloy.com, NissanRoadRacing.com, or KA-T.org.