Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #841
drfrisker

Trader Rating: (0)
drfrisker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ignitors were the issue

I used some 4cyl mr2 ignitors I had lying around from one of my previous v6 swaps and it revved all the way to 6.5k rpms

We either killed the ignitors or they were dead, or they are meant for the wrong car

No codes were thrown... We plugged everything back in
drfrisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #842
drfrisker

drfrisker is an unknown quantity at this point
When I say everything, we were using a function generator for the speed sensor, lightbulbs for shift solenoids, a lightbulb and a switch for the o/d off switch, egr stepper, traction control stepper, egr probe resistor, wired secondary tps to vc and idl to ground.

We essentially had no codes and yet the ignitors were fried or not the right type, and the rev limiter was cutting in hard at 3800-4200rpm voltage dependent (12.5-14.0v)

We also replaced the capacitors in our original ecu, even though they all tested good. The ecu we're currently using is just a used one and it's fine as well

We used a scope to probe the ignitors as the engine was cutting out. You could see the ecu signals being sent to the ignitors continuously, but the feedback from the ignitors to the ecu would skip multiple ignition events so you'd know that the ignition was breaking up.

The coils and wires, distributors, rotors, cam sensors are all new so only thing left was wiring (I rewired some things, broken connectors, etc) and ignitors.

***EDIT***
we found out the issue. turns out it was bad ignitors. we must have fried them when we were switching things around.

we tested the car using some 91 mr2 ignitors I had lying around and the rev limiter kicked in at 6250, it was so much sweeter than the 4krpms we heard for so long.

The car had a full season of racing now and its a blast to drive. I can't imagine the power to weight on the street. Would get you in trouble for sure.

Last edited by drfrisker; 02-10-2017 at 09:06 AM..
drfrisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #843
Rajamon

Rajamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Any one selling exhaust for this swap? Also I've bought the Brett Collins kit and am preparing to swap the motor in. any advice before I start actually assembling everything?
Rajamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #844
accoupe
Leaky Injector

accoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Turtle m3th modified my oem manifolds and made me a y-pipe. They were nice pieces but this was a while back idk if he is still making them.
accoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #845
Rajamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by accoupe View Post
Turtle m3th modified my oem manifolds and made me a y-pipe. They were nice pieces but this was a while back idk if he is still making them.
Yah I tried but no reply. I don't think he does them anymore.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #846
Mschiano.

Mschiano. is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone still doing these swaps? Anything better than the Collins kit? Just got myself a motor but info on the swap is kind lacking
Mschiano. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #847
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschiano. View Post
Anyone still doing these swaps? Anything better than the Collins kit? Just got myself a motor but info on the swap is kind lacking
There's a good amount of information. It's just pretty scattered. If you happen to look at my build don't let it scare you. It was my first swap and I ran into a lot of small unusual issues.
Collins is what I used since I bought the engine and kit together from a local. It works but everyone has their different experiences with it. The most common issue people run into which isn't the kit itself, its just this swap, is the headers. If you have questions feel free to contact me or just post here. I know the swap pretty well, but I suck with wiring/welding, good luck!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #848
Mschiano.

Mschiano. is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool man, appreciate the feedback. I got the swap from a buddy with a totalled LS for pretty much nothing, figured I'd make the best of it. From the info I've gathered I'm going with Collins mounts, trans adapter and pilot bearing adapter, the rest I'm piecing together cheaper/better. I'm unclear on if I need a driveshaft or not, but the Collins one seems steep. Also I'm clueless about exhaust, heard something about tundra headers????
Mschiano. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #849
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschiano. View Post
Cool man, appreciate the feedback. I got the swap from a buddy with a totalled LS for pretty much nothing, figured I'd make the best of it. From the info I've gathered I'm going with Collins mounts, trans adapter and pilot bearing adapter, the rest I'm piecing together cheaper/better. I'm unclear on if I need a driveshaft or not, but the Collins one seems steep. Also I'm clueless about exhaust, heard something about tundra headers????
I ended up getting a driveshaft, but right I'd wait to see how everything lines up first. I purchased mine for $225 from a hidden shop in Compton haha. But correct you can use 2000-2004 Tundra Headers which I have on mine. The driver side header needed a lot of fabricating for it to work, and the passenger side needed a little as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #850
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
whats everyone doing as far as relocating the fuel filter and lines? how did you route it? thanks!
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #851
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
so im about to order my mounts. xat has the engine mounts with transmission mounts. enjuku has just the engine mounts,no trans mount needed. this is copied and paste from there site(enjukju):

Collins Performance 1UZ mount sets for S13s provide solid hand crafted quality, as well as versatility. Collins Performance slotted laser cut Motor mounts For S13 allow for exact placement to fit your specific needs (these are the most versatile 1UZ swap motor mounts on the market!)

This does not come with a transmission mount, for KA/SR Transmissions you utilize your factory mount, for 350z you will need a custom bracket. For 350z transmission brackets, please contact us and we can have it made!

so for the people who bolted up there sr//ka transmission. did you utilize the factory mount or??? or has anyone ordered the xat product and used their trans mount. any help appreciated. btw its a $100 difference. xat is 299.99(with trans mount) and enjuku is 199.99(w/o trans mount)
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #852
Drift Wood

Drift Wood is an unknown quantity at this point
I just recently purchased a S13 with a 1UZ swap already done.
When I bought it, the car was not running. After messing with it for a little while I found out the crack sensor was bad. I replaced that and now that car starts and idles fine, but I'm having a problem with acceleration. The car will not rev. I've replaced the mass air flow, TPS sensor, fuel pump and got a new wiring harness converted by Rob Page.

I'm stuck on where to go from here. I'm not sure what I should look for next. I know the ECU could be an issue but just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this problem or could lead me down the right path to help me fix this problem.

Thanks!
Drift Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #853
accoupe
Leaky Injector

Will it rev at all? If so to what rpm. Igniters may be bad or poorly grounded, my idle air control motor was bad and gave me a lot of issues too.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #854
Drift Wood

Drift Wood is an unknown quantity at this point
No it will not rev at all it will cut out with any kind of throttle but will idle forever. I'll check the grounds on the igniters tomorrow and my idle air control motor. Thanks!
Drift Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #855
iJDM
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
iJDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Igniter, ignition coil, spark plugs/ wires, distributors. These would be my vote before ECU, but all are possible. Get back to us once all are verified good...
Old 03-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #856
Rajamon

I bought Brett filling full adapter kit for a KA trans and had a few questions. Does the pilot bushing and adapter that comes with kit replaces the 1uz pilot bearing? Also how hard should it be to slide the pilot bushing adapter into the crank opening? Seems like I'm gonna have to slam it In pretty hard. does any one know what the torq specs for for the bolts on Brett Collins clutch set up is? Got the fly wheel and trans>adapter torq spec.. But I need torq specs for adapter>motor and the pressure plate as well. Lastly can some one post pictures of how they notched the bell house for the starter to recess into and also pictures of your "knifed starter" Im not sure that i knifed my starter enough.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #857
PowerDrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
PowerDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For the speedometer do people use the dakota conveter or does it just straight wire up?
PowerDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #858
w0lfatncsu

w0lfatncsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Depends on the transmission you're using. If you're keeping the ka 5 speed, you can keep the speed sensor. If you change it, you'll probably need a Dakota converter box

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
w0lfatncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #859
PowerDrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
PowerDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have a ka just dont know where to tap into
PowerDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #860
w0lfatncsu

w0lfatncsu is an unknown quantity at this point
If you've got the stock wiring harness for your car and you don't mind pulling it apart, you can keep the little bit that would run from the transmission harness into the car. At least for the vss.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
w0lfatncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #861
accoupe
Leaky Injector

What's up guys. I took my car out and ran it very hard this past weekend with a few friends and I jumped timing. Looks like one tooth on left bank and two on the right bank. Any of you drifting guys having issues with this? I replaced all timing components with new stuff and have about 3500 miles on the swap.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #862
alex.bruns17

alex.bruns17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just picked up this 95 s14 with a 1uz and a ka. I got it super cheap not running. The guy said it needs starter and a throwout bearing. So im slowly getting it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alex.bruns17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #863
Turb
Leaky Injector

Turb is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know if the 1992 and 1994 1uz's are the same?
Or would I have to re wire my car for the other motor?
Turb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #864
Turb
Leaky Injector

Turb is an unknown quantity at this point
What did you guys do with the lines after you deleted egr? what'd you do with the lines going to the iac valve?
Turb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #865
1UZVillain

1UZVillain is an unknown quantity at this point
ordered a collins kit (hopefully its not back order because i want to get this done), I'm reading through the thread to see what was learned during the swap.

long story short, life happened and i find it easier in the long run to go 1uz, putting my turbo build in storage.

really would like to go 1uz vvti (granted the collins kit works for that one also), has anyone figured out the immoblizer ecu obstacle?
1UZVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 AM   #866
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
I just read a PM I had for this thread. You guy please PM and I'll point you in the right direction here on FB. We a great group thread for everything you'll need for 1uz stuff. VVTI stuff and all. I don't wanna post my profile publicly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb View Post
Does anyone know if the 1992 and 1994 1uz's are the same?
Or would I have to re wire my car for the other motor?
All 1uz before 98 are the same. Once you get to +98 there all vvti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UZVillain View Post
ordered a collins kit (hopefully its not back order because i want to get this done), I'm reading through the thread to see what was learned during the swap.

long story short, life happened and i find it easier in the long run to go 1uz, putting my turbo build in storage.

really would like to go 1uz vvti (granted the collins kit works for that one also), has anyone figured out the immoblizer ecu obstacle?
vvti is a lot more work but it's for sure cooler! But if you're wanting more power down the road stay with the older ones so you can force induct.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #867
1UZVillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
I just read a PM I had for this thread. You guy please PM and I'll point you in the right direction here on FB. We a great group thread for everything you'll need for 1uz stuff. VVTI stuff and all. I don't wanna post my profile publicly.

vvti is a lot more work but it's for sure cooler! But if you're wanting more power down the road stay with the older ones so you can force induct.
I think my racing days are over with maybe some auto crossing here and there. I just want to cruise and enjoy the car.

I'll take the 290hp that'll start up everyday lol. Plus; that is the only kind i see available at the moment around here. Wonder if the ka trans can take the vvti power???

i think the headers will slow me down, gotta find someone that will help me out. im ready just got to get the engine soon
Old 06-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #868
1UZVillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajamon View Post
Any one selling exhaust for this swap? Also I've bought the Brett Collins kit and am preparing to swap the motor in. any advice before I start actually assembling everything?
me and you in the same boat brother.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #869
1UZVillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post

going vvti ka engine ready to pull out, just need to get a hoist and a cart to wheel engine in and out and extra hands lol i have a small garage with a decline exit this is going to suck. Havent bought motor yet.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #870
angelo ayala

angelo ayala is an unknown quantity at this point
1uz to s13 help!

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone that can mount 1UZ motor and KA trans in only into S13 hatch. I live in Covina California. i can pay depending on prices hopefully we can work something out let me know ASAP you can even text me 626-893-1840. Thank you My name is Angelo.
angelo ayala is offline   Reply With Quote