Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #751
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewman View Post
I feel the same way. His build is definitely of a higher caliber than mine though, but it gets no attention.

Mine just has the wow factor.
Agreed.

How about that BMW 330ci that got linked in the Cavalier thread?

That build just ate an hour of my day.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #752
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
More shots of the outside. It's even more yellow than it appears in photos. Very odd color indeed. 4/6 windows are in. As is BLACKED OUT TRIM

PHAT AZZ... (the apron has some black on it at a weird angle so it looks crooked, but it all gets covered by the rear valence) Also got the trunk latch and tails installed. Looks like a fox notch hahah.

A shot of the CHROME BILLET WINDOW CRANK$$$ installed (23 bucks from summit)

And FINALLY got a set of these. SOOOO much better than a crescent wrench with electrical tape on it.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #753
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
lol sti mats.... and im lost on the wrenches? but they look sweet
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #754
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
They are AN wrenches. They have reliefs on each corner so you don't scratch up your AN hose ends.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #755
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Yup, work fucking sweet too!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #756
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
They are AN wrenches. They have reliefs on each corner so you don't scratch up your AN hose ends.
Quote:
Yup, work fucking sweet too!
... and they're small enough to fit in most places, while limiting the torque you put on the hose ends. I've seen soooo many people overtorque their AN fittings... That set run you about $100?

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #757
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
WagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WagDatto
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
... and they're small enough to fit in most places, while limiting the torque you put on the hose ends. I've seen soooo many people overtorque their AN fittings... That set run you about $100?
Yeah, it's sad seeing the shape most people's AN fittings are in! There's not a LOT of torque needed for a proper seal, and most times, more torque creates problems! Please, anybody reading this thinking "Man, I'm TOTALLY blowing some money on sweet fittings for MY car!" LEARN TO USE THEM PROPERLY!!

These wrenches are pricey, but that cost will come back to eat your face when you're replacing fittings! Also, read about the proper way to use them! NO teflon tape!!

Back to business, I can't wait to see this thing roaring down some straights on youtube/vimeo, and blowing the doors off people while simultaneously breaking necks...

http://garagezoku.blogspot.com
WagDatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #758
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

i see. i have not gotten into AN fittings yet i have tried to study them some but unfortunaly for me i live in a small town so i cant find a local car place if you will to just go check them out and see what i need. maybe i should just order some from summit and just figure it out. lol
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #759
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
i see. i have not gotten into AN fittings yet i have tried to study them some but unfortunaly for me i live in a small town so i cant find a local car place if you will to just go check them out and see what i need. maybe i should just order some from summit and just figure it out. lol
Not to threadjack too much, but whatever purpose you're thinking about using aircraft lines/fittings on, has been done before. Google is your friend. As far as sizes, it's all based on what size pipe/hose you're starting with, and you can usually stick with OEM size (or 1/16" bigger) for everything.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #760
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Added a line clamp for the oil feed line and installed the EGT fitting into the manifold. The schedule 10 should be thick enough to not weld a bung on there, time will tell.

Powdercoated coolant pipes installed, you can also see where I am going to weld the BOV flange on.

Steph's baffled catch can installed. You can kinda see how the lines route now. One more line comes from the bottom of the catch can to the exhaust scavenger, which will be after the WG return and flex section.

A shot of the line feeding the catch can and also notice the brake booster check valve installed in-line.

Rear PACKAGE TRAY dyed black and installed. Instead of factory mounting I simply chose to use 2 stainless self-tapping screws in the front and clips in the back.

Lastly for tonight: Back Glass.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #761
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
badass/ love the build
timtiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #762
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

My first TIG welds...

I've never TIG welded before, and I really needed to learn, so i tried today on my lunch break.

Practice 1:

Practice 2:

Then I thought I was competent enough to weld a mounting bung to my new catch can. It was a good thing to start on because you can't really see it, but it came out OK for a first try:

I'm not trying to brag about my welds, because they're not great, but I think for a first try, they're alright.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #763
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
u are the fuking man
best build EVAR
KoukiMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #764
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
those tigs are 10x better than the ones on my intercooler pipes that i had done "professionally". in other words... i paid some jackass high school dropout who spent 2 years at tech school learning how to weld to do them, and they look like crap. probably leak too...

keep up the good work. shouldn't be too much longer now!!!
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #765
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for all the positive support.

And some of the criticisms as well (as long as they're well thought out)
Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #766
Ben G
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Ben G is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
this is a nice build, are you leaving the speakers in since you stripped the rest of the car?
Ben G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #767
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

The speakers aren't in there, just the covers. Better than big holes I guess.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #768
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Looks good man, Welding is lIke Driving, the only thing that will make you better is seat time. Keep it up

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #769
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Just scooped up this, and the interface to communicate directly with AEM:

Products » Display products » DASH2 - Racing - Race Technology Ltd - Automotive Technical Excellence

And a fuel sender from summit. (Oh yeah and a 2.75 cent fitting that's backordered until october, LOL)

Left my camera at work, but got the following done today:

Wiper motor installed
Cowl grill installed
Radiator fan installed
Wideband O2 Bung welded on
Exhaust hanger welded onto rear of downpipe, bolts to head. Very sturdy.

My shit is near OEM.

My firewall closeoff needs to be remade, though. It doesn't fit that well, but it's going to look pretty slick.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #770
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
...And a fuel sender from summit. (Oh yeah and a 2.75 cent fitting that's backordered until october, LOL)...
Nice dash.

Nice free shipping from Summit lol.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #771
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

First thing I did was install the fuel tank level sending unit. Pretty straightforward.

Radiator fan installed:

Wideband bung welded on:

Spiffy downpipe bracing to motor:

Lastly, and most awesomely, I made this closeoff out of laser cut aluminum and pre-preg carbon fiber.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #772
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

its to bad you couldnt just dump those terribad exhaust fumes right out your fender.... that would have been interesting to see. either way looking great.

oh and i guess im blind cause i dont see the o2 bung.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #773
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

haha, just look for the silhouette of the O2 sensor itself.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #774
wikun
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
wikun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
this thread is jizz.
wikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #775
chitownguy
Zilvia Junkie

chitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to allchitownguy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to chitownguy
Ah so this is where this thread is. Car's looking good put's so many other e30s to shame.

btw, I'm the guy that asked you if you were on Zilvia on one of the bmw forums.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #776
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
great work, keep it up.
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #777
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Just tried a quick part on our new 3d printer:

It's actually hollow.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #778
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goi-turbo
Large work was conducted above a machine, turbine very good! Successes in future!

To many on Rb26 liked to put here such turbines!
1000hp!!!!
HKS

This is probably the best comment I have ever received in any of my build threads.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #779
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

holy crap i dont know how i missed the o2 sensor in that pic. and you know in the animes how they just fall over when they see something... i just did that looking at that 3d mold... and its hollow.. i mean come on.. now your just showing off lol. looks really good though.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #780
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

So I tried putting on my momo hub, then quickrelease, then sparco wheel.

It just was too long, so........

This is what the momo hub looked like before:

That raised part is for crash protection so your chest doesn't get pierced by the steering shaft. In a caged, harnessed car, this is less of a big deal. So...

Cut of the tabs with an angle grinder and thew it in the mill:

A shot of the completed facing:

Then I drilled and tapped 6 holes and test fit the wheel onto the hub (the bolt pattern of the wheel is the same as the quick release, and it came out perfect)

The wheel is installed on my car right now, but no pics of that...