Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #751
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree my coils look super harsh during normal driving but they are very smooth and when I am on the track I get ALOT more suspension travel (but then again the road course at E-town has alot of elevation change).

get really good suspension parts especially coils then run a pretty conservative alignment

I run -3 camber in the front -1 in the rear. 0 toe in front and 1/16 to in, in the rear. and 7.3+ caster in the front

besides front camber my car is all within factory specs
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #752
JDMStanced
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMStanced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
coilovers. They just look like they are super stiff. Hell if you ever saw my s14 on the freeway, you would see almost no movement in my suspension. But On a track, I would get about 2 inches of compression.

I have a buddy running 5k springs on his KW's in the rear...coils just makes cars look like they ride really shitty.

Also, wheel cambers under compression...aka tucks in the fender. The lower the car...the easier the wheel will tuck under the fender because of the suspension geometry.
thanks for the reply. Those racing supercars must have mad negative cambers. i only paid attention to their wheel gap, not the camber.
Today i got the alignment done at OC infiniti, Rick is now working there. My alignment WAY off. Toe were freaking everywhere lol. There's a reason why my car was everywhere, sliping rear tires at low speed turning, and handling shitty. I set the alignment to Front: -2.5 camber, and 0.01 toe.
Rear: -1.3 camber, and 0 toe. My rear is lifted so much now comparing when i had -1.7 camber.
The car handles so much better now.
JDMStanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #753
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStanced View Post
thanks for the reply. Those racing supercars must have mad negative cambers. i only paid attention to their wheel gap, not the camber.
Today i got the alignment done at OC infiniti, Rick is now working there. My alignment WAY off. Toe were freaking everywhere lol. There's a reason why my car was everywhere, sliping rear tires at low speed turning, and handling shitty. I set the alignment to Front: -2.5 camber, and 0.01 toe.
Rear: -1.3 camber, and 0 toe. My rear is lifted so much now comparing when i had -1.7 camber.
The car handles so much better now.
that's awesome. It's amazing what a good alignment will to to driving the car. Did you check your caster?
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #754
JDMStanced
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
that's awesome. It's amazing what a good alignment will to to driving the car. Did you check your caster?
Front caster is at 8.4 degrees Left, and 8.8 degrees right. i know what caster is, but don't know how much the numbers affect the performance going straight and/or sideway.
Rear doesn't have casters shown.
SAI. Left 6.6
Right 6.4
Thrust angle: -.01
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #755
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Caster is how far your front wheels are pulled forward. These are adjusted by the tension rods. More caster = faster the steering wheel turns back

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #756
JDMStanced
Zilvia Addict

looks like my caster is high but the steering turns back so slowly daily driving.

Back to super racing cars, how do they have zero wheel gap and still be able to turn hard, lots of compression? Wouldnt the tires rub the fenders?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #757
MattRose
Leaky Injector

MattRose is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csomme View Post

Seriously? You think JRs car has positive camber? Are you retarded?

hardly anyone in formula D runs positive camber, if anyone even does.
I was at formula d rd 4 and many of the guys ran positive camber, especially up front. All the scions had a stupid amount of positive camber as well
MattRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #758
slickdrifter
Zilvia Junkie

slickdrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
haul ass and throw the sh!+ out of it.
slickdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #759
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ComicArtist is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Slid my first event last weekend.

The haul ass and throw your weight around method worked ok, but due to my 90hp it was kinda hard to get up to ass-hauling speed.

So I hauled as much ass as I could, feinted a little and clutchkicked like a mutha.

After I got used to that, I started using the handbrake mid-drift to help control the slide.

Spun out a bunch until I started countersteering quicker, but couldn't get a whole lot of angle.

I think I'm gonna get knuckles, tie rods, and bumpsteer spacers.

More power would help.
ComicArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #760
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRose View Post
I was at formula d rd 4 and many of the guys ran positive camber, especially up front. All the scions had a stupid amount of positive camber as well
Positive in the front?

....really
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #761
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Hey FCKILLERBEE what kind of parts do you need for your s13? Id like to get some ink work..

I was just at barret jacksons drift demo a couple of weeks ago with JR and JTP (driving JRs dads stock RTR) and his alignment had 0 camber.. it was perfectly aligned. It wasnt his comp car but he said it was close to it.

not my vid but u might get something out of it.

YouTube - ‪Drifting--Ford drifting experience at Barrett-Jackson Orange County‬‏

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #762
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRose View Post
You sure on that?

Most Drift Cars I saw at FD New Jersey were running 3* to 7* (Eyeballing these numbers) of Negative camber up front and anywhere between + 1* to -3* in the rear...
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #763
Y0SH
Zilvia Junkie

Y0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the rough
Chris Forsberg runs positive camber.
Y0SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #764
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Positive in the front?

....really
lol...exactly what I was thinking...lol this isn't forza. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post
Hey FCKILLERBEE what kind of parts do you need for your s13? Id like to get some ink work..

I was just at barret jacksons drift demo a couple of weeks ago with JR and JTP (driving JRs dads stock RTR) and his alignment had 0 camber.. it was perfectly aligned. It wasnt his comp car but he said it was close to it.

YouTube - &#x202a;Drifting--Ford drifting experience at Barrett-Jackson Orange County&#x202c;&rlm;
I'll shoot you a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
You sure on that?

Most Drift Cars I saw at FD New Jersey were running 3* to 7* (Eyeballing these numbers) of Negative camber up front and anywhere between + 1* to -3* in the rear...
I would second that. -4 to -6 is pretty average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0SH View Post
Chris Forsberg runs positive camber.
still waiting on that certain someone (couuuuuugh) to let us know the FACTS. lol
Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #765
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

still waiting on that certain someone (couuuuuugh) to let us know the FACTS. lol

FUUUUUU, forgot to ask Chris, I was right there too.

Honestly, so many people say he runs a little I'm guessing so. I would like to think not, but one against many makes no sense. I'll send him an email or something. lmao.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #766
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post

YouTube - &#x202a;Drifting--Ford drifting experience at Barrett-Jackson Orange County&#x202c;&rlm;

Because it's a solid axle car, it's always going to have 0....
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #767
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
FUUUUUU, forgot to ask Chris, I was right there too.

Honestly, so many people say he runs a little I'm guessing so. I would like to think not, but one against many makes no sense. I'll send him an email or something. lmao.
haha funny thing is I sent him a message on FB. no reply. posted it again...no reply. I guess Im just not cool enough to talk to Chris. lol.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #768
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I still want to know why Forsberg's camber is so important?

Most of us are running s chassis, and the suspension geometry in back is different.

As I've said a bunch of times before, spring rate has a lot to do with how much the car squats. From my understanding guys are running softer springs in back. The softer the spring, the longer the travel, the more drastic the angle differences.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #769
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah, I guess it was just me arguing that he wasn't then a bunch of people saying he was and us wanting to get to the bottom of it.

As you increase in hp in drifting, you're going to need more traction, and obviously softer springs and a must, and with that a change in the valving. For instance, KW Clubsports, soft springs, wayyyyyy different valving. Great for higher HP drift cars. Squat a tonnn.

David, why don't you just shoot Mike Kojima and see what his take is on the whole positive camber thing. If you haven't ever talked to him, he's really freaking cool.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #770
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Ok guys i need some of your input. I went to a couple of local events here and i was having mad understeer when clutch kicking. I let one of the instructors drive and he could not get the car to slide out by clucth kicking either. Could too much stretch cause the understeer? I have 215/35 on a 18x10.

Would adding a rear sway bar help this issue? I need the 215/35 for clearance issues up front due to vert stock fender brace.. if worse comes to worse i will cut it out and weld in another.
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #771
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts13vert View Post
Ok guys i need some of your input. I went to a couple of local events here and i was having mad understeer when clutch kicking. I let one of the instructors drive and he could not get the car to slide out by clucth kicking either. Could too much stretch cause the understeer? I have 215/35 on a 18x10.

Would adding a rear sway bar help this issue? I need the 215/35 for clearance issues up front due to vert stock fender brace.. if worse comes to worse i will cut it out and weld in another.
Should post up your setup. stiffen the rear damping for the coils to almost max if you have them. And soften the fronts. That's some basic free fix. Rear sway would help. Your car didn't come with one stock?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #772
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

PBM pro coils
Upgraded multilink
basic ka-t
6 puck clutch
welded diff
dampening full stiff in the rear, half way from stiff up front.

alignment -3.5 camber front -2 rear, 7 degrees caster, 0 toe

215/35 595ss all around on 18x10

I have the stock clothes hanger sway bar on right now but i meant swap it out for a larger one?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #773
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
How much pressure are your front tires running? How about your rear?

A softer tire up front will help a lot.

Also, give your tires some time to heat up.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #774
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Not going to lie, Eric Castro's posts in this thread helped me a lot. Stock single cam with Z32 wheels. Enter as fast as you possibly can, feint, clutch kick the living fuck out of it and never lift.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #775
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

^^ I agree with !Zar!. Pump up your rear tire PSI to 60 and fronts leave them at 30-40

Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #776
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
How much pressure are your front tires running? How about your rear?

A softer tire up front will help a lot.

Also, give your tires some time to heat up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
^^ I agree with !Zar!. Pump up your rear tire PSI to 60 and fronts leave them at 30-40

fronts were at 45psi rears at 55psi..
ill be dropping the pressure up front to 35psi next time and changing tire size to 225/35. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #777
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Compound is important as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #778
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
PBM pro coils
Upgraded multilink
basic ka-t
6 puck clutch
welded diff
dampening full stiff in the rear, half way from stiff up front.

alignment -3.5 camber front -2 rear, 7 degrees caster, 0 toe

215/35 595ss all around on 18x10

I have the stock clothes hanger sway bar on right now but i meant swap it out for a larger one?

whoa whoa whoa.....what organization couldn't drift this car?!

this should be the easiest car to slide out.....

you need to drive the car harder. and ditch that instructor....not trying to be a dick...but I ran 18x10's on 225 40' on a stock KA. heavy ass gramlight multi piece wheels too.

only thing I could possibly think of is your front tires are old....but then again. I ran nankang's on the fronts...and they did just fine. but again...I drive hard.

csomme....is mike the guy that built the car? i'll hit him up. ask some q's.

edit: damn...federals all around. should be cake.

I ran 18x9 215 35 front and 18x10 225 40 rears...my wheels are probably heavier than your 521's if that's what you are driving on.(or around the same weight 24lbs)

too much strech will only stiffen the tire...won't make it impossible to drive...just a little harder. again...I ran damn near the same setup on my s14 (which s14's grip even more)
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #779
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
whoa whoa whoa.....what organization couldn't drift this car?!

this should be the easiest car to slide out.....

you need to drive the car harder. and ditch that instructor....not trying to be a dick...but I ran 18x10's on 225 40' on a stock KA. heavy ass gramlight multi piece wheels too.

only thing I could possibly think of is your front tires are old....but then again. I ran nankang's on the fronts...and they did just fine. but again...I drive hard.

csomme....is mike the guy that built the car? i'll hit him up. ask some q's.

edit: damn...federals all around. should be cake.

I ran 18x9 215 35 front and 18x10 225 40 rears...my wheels are probably heavier than your 521's if that's what you are driving on.(or around the same weight 24lbs)

too much strech will only stiffen the tire...won't make it impossible to drive...just a little harder. again...I ran damn near the same setup on my s14 (which s14's grip even more)
It was Charlie from JD, and tires were brand new when i hit the track. Ill be pushing it harder next time.
I might end up switching tires size up front to 225/35 to kind of ease the stretch.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #780
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
It was Charlie from JD, and tires were brand new when i hit the track. Ill be pushing it harder next time.
I might end up switching tires size up front to 225/35 to kind of ease the stretch.

that's the problem right there...hahaha. charlie can't drive for shits! haha.

you can tell him I said so! haha.

Only person at JD that I would let test a car is Henry. charlie...hahahaha. thanks for this laugh..i'm gonna go make fun of him now. haha. (i'm really laughing hard right now....this is an ongoing joke we've had for like 5 years about how charlie shouldn't drive peoples cars)

edit: FACEBOOK BLASTED! lol