Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #751
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
kinda off topic but......

Does anyone have a stock manifold they want to sell? I'll be adding my EWG to it, so if its already done, even better.

Also, what are you guys paying to have them smoothed/coated (forget the name of the process, but I know codyace and few others have done it)? Is there any benefit of the stock manifold with EWG over a good tubular manifold with an EWG fabbed/added, other than not having to worry about the manifold cracking? Thanks guys. Trying to get back into this car and get everything finalized. Pretty much down to the manifold/EWG/tune.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #752
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Hit up Codyace. He usually has some stock cores laying around. He'll weld it up and have it shipped to you in a jiffy!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

@meadwa
240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #753
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The process you are referring to are extrude honing and swain coating.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #754
2forty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I'm deciding to go with this turbo, but now I'm not sure on the housing. Is it going to creep regardless? Or will the .86 have less of an issue? I don't really want to go external if I don't have to...
Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #755
2forty
Nissanaholic!

2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of
Anyone want to chime in? I would think the 67r would spool the same or faster than the 71r. So would that put the .86 67r closer to a 71r .64????
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #756
240ss
Zilvia Member

Just get the 67 with the .64 housing. You won't be disappointed. And I'm sure if you take the time to read this thread, your answer will be in here somewhere

@meadwa
Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #757
2forty
Nissanaholic!

I read the whole thread. Not many people are running a .86. And most are choosing to run an external. Just curious about less creep on a .86
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #758
240ss
Zilvia Member

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about creep. So what if you push a little more psi whats your set up? What kind of numbers are you trying to make?

@meadwa
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #759
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik5082 View Post
Would a GTX2867 with a .64 housing spool quicker than a GTX2863 with a .86
just to be clear, the difference in spool responsiveness and peak hp between a 67R and 71R frame is going to be minimal, however the difference in responsiveness between a 64AR and 86AR is pronounced.

I went from a 64AR to a 73 external wategate housing and lost way too much responsiveness. IMO the 86 makes a 67 or 71 frame turbo spin up way too slow.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #760
2forty
Nissanaholic!

I would like to make 360-380whp on pump gas. Probably go with some s3 cams. And stock manifolds. Have a really snappy street car that wouldn't die too much up top. Pretty much codyace's setup minus the greddy IM and external. Man I hate the sound of externals. Lol
Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #761
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
EWG can be recirculated.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #762
sftmb
Leaky Injector

sftmb is an unknown quantity at this point
finally got my blacktop SR all finished and running with a tune. This car will be my daily driver + weekend track car. so, power wasn't really a goal, but overall i'm happy with it!

* some important stuff *
-86.5 CP pistons, .20 over bore
-DOC Race T28 exhaust mani w/ external vband WG
-Tial MVS WG
-gtx2867r .64AR w/ COBB Tuning internal WG locker
-JWT S3HL cams(272/11.5mm), stock valvetrain except rocker arm stoppers
-Apexi headgasket + ARP studs
-Power Enterprises 850cc injectors on 92 pump gas
-AEM EMS Series 2

Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #763
ryan15
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ryan15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does the GT-RS compressor housing make a difference in flow? The only numbers I saw were the pretty low ones a few pages back from an S15 with the housing. I tried to search gt2871r with 2/3bolt housing for comparison but am having problems finding anything.
ryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #764
d3x

d3x is an unknown quantity at this point
The compressor housing does not make a difference in my experience.

If it was my S15 being referred to, I don't think my numbers are low considering. I am getting pretty much that same peak torque as SFTMB above, I'm running less agressive/duration cams so my torque doesnt hold to the redline, so obviously my power will be a bit lower (power is calculated using torque at a given rpm). I was also having boost controller issues.

Of course Dyno's on the ther side of the world will read differently - I would say 10% variance can be expected. All these factors need to be considered before making gross generalisations that some is wrong or not performing. At the end of the day it's only numbers and a dyno graph will not really demonstrate the transient reponse of the turbo while driving etc.....

I highly recommend this turbo setup for the street...coming onto boost in second gives my semi slicks a hard time.
d3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #765
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
SFTMB very nice graph! Can't wait for tax return then its gonna be on. I've already started collecting part, going with the 2867r stock comp housing on my S15 SR with poncams

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #766
ryan15
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x View Post

If it was my S15 being referred to, I don't think my numbers are low considering. I am getting pretty much that same peak torque as SFTMB above, I'm running less agressive/duration cams so my torque doesnt hold to the redline, so obviously my power will be a bit lower (power is calculated using torque at a given rpm). I was also having boost controller issues.

Of course Dyno's on the ther side of the world will read differently - I would say 10% variance can be expected. All these factors need to be considered before making gross generalisations that some is wrong or not performing. At the end of the day it's only numbers and a dyno graph will not really demonstrate the transient reponse of the turbo while driving etc.....

I highly recommend this turbo setup for the street...coming onto boost in second gives my semi slicks a hard time.
Cool sounds solid man. I'm not really chasing dyno numbers but I would like to see a difference from my s14 stock turbo for sure. For now i'm running a forged bottom end, stock cams with a enthalpy tune/550cc so i'll be limited by fuel and cams from the sounds of it. Anways I went ahead and ordered the 2bolt/3bolt housing, should be here in a week and I'm pretty excited. I'd like to step up to some 850cc injectors and tomei 260 duration poncams in the near future to have a well rounded setup.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #767
galant_x

galant_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x View Post

My setup is almost the samme as you got(same camshafts, and 60mm TB), and your setup does fall of quite bad at high RPM.
What figures are those btw? WHP og BHP?

I really do se the GT-RS compressor housing to be on of the big restrctions. ID of the OEM comp intake is ca 55mm. This flowes ONLY 54% of what a true 3 inch intake does....
You are able to fabricate a OEM`like 3" intake with basic fabrication skils. Attached 1 picture of 1 oem like full 3" intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insug bil 003.JPG (448.8 KB, 89 views)
galant_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #768
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Compressor inlets were discussed a few pages ago, someone made a good point about how power levels on racecars are limited, with inlet restrictors.

Calling the bolt on compressor housing GT-RS is inaccurate, that is HKS nomenclature for their model of turbo. Garrett refers to that compressor housing as GT28R.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #769
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
The ID of the GT28R style compressor housing is not the restriction (it's just slightly bigger than the inducer of the compressor wheel). The real problem is that the inlet pipes have a curve with an ID just slightly bigger than this right before it. So you get pretty high losses from trying to curve the airflow at a significant percentage of Mach 1 and I'm sure there's some flow separation there. The inlet/outlet pipes were originally designed around ~170-210 rwhp of flow, so when doubling that it gets to be moderately restrictive.

The T04B cover is probably worth a little bit of power at the >350 rwhp range IMO.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #770
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
And BTW - take 5 mins with a dremel/sanding roll and give a bellmouth inlet on all the Garrett housings like the T04B/T04E housings. The big ole' fat lip and sharp corners is just asking for flow separation at high flow levels. Look at what a velocity stack looks like - replicate that. Don't touch the housing 1/4" from the compressor wheel and back (leave a straight section before the compressor wheel).
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #771
sftmb
Leaky Injector

sftmb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniMidnight View Post
SFTMB very nice graph! Can't wait for tax return then its gonna be on. I've already started collecting part, going with the 2867r stock comp housing on my S15 SR with poncams
thanks! yeah, this turbo with some good cams really is amazing!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #772
ryan15
Leaky Injector

Well I received my turbo today and some how ordered the gtx2863r on accident. Well after receiving it and doing some research I decided to keep it. It's a huge difference from a a s14 t28 at 16lbs to this at 16lbs creeping to 20-21lbs. I have a basic rs-enthalpy rom tune with z32 maf/denso 550s/rewired walbro fuel pump/forged bottom end and the other usual BPU's and it pulls extremely hard in comparison. Spool up is on par with the stock t28 but from there it carries way harder to redline.

BAD NEWS is it caused my Exedy stage 2 clutch with about 7k miles to start slipping slightly at 4k and above. So I guess i'll drive it till it completely gives and upgrade it in a few months. I think i'll try to loosen the actuator pretension a turn to see if I can get a lb less in boost. I wasn't expecting this much creep though. Plans by July are tomei 260 pon cams, a stronger clutch and possibly bigger injectors along with a rs-enthalpy dyno tune.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #773
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

The creep issue sounds odd. It seems that the sweet spot for these GT28 turbines is 15-20 psi. More or less boost, an external is better. Do you have a boost controller? Perhaps you have too much preload on the actuator.

As for the Exedy stage 2 slipping, I once read that occurs around 320 lb-ft.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #774
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
If new, yes!
usually a little lower when used.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #775
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
So what's the go-to clutch for this power level then? I've lived in the world of the Exedy Stage 2 being the golden child for so long! lol
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #776
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
This is what I run:

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/eco...m?item_id=4113

Kevlar disc isn't good for drifting, but it works good for autox and track days and stuff.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #777
ryan15
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
The creep issue sounds odd. It seems that the sweet spot for these GT28 turbines is 15-20 psi. More or less boost, an external is better. Do you have a boost controller? Perhaps you have too much preload on the actuator.

The actuator rod is set with as little pretension possible. I guess i'll be going external sometime soon.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #778
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan15 View Post
The actuator rod is set with as little pretension possible. I guess i'll be going external sometime soon.
7psi, 12psi or 18psi actuator?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #779
ryan15
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
7psi, 12psi or 18psi actuator?
12psi actuator, 3" stainless elbow, 3" turbo back exhaust.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #780
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Alright guys, I finally got my turbo, wastegate, manifold, and almost all the hardware! Install this weekend!!!

Also, I'm assuming I'm missing some tabs of some sort, or something that actually holds the exhaust housing onto the center section? This is all I got in my Garret Box....

Edit:
Went to a local turbo shop, and found the hardware I needed! Should be good to go for install tomorrow!

Also, when you guys are welding up the flap for the wastegate to run external, do you remove the whole flapper assembly and just weld the flap down? or what?

Last edited by BlackZenkiS14; 03-28-2014 at 11:14 PM..
BlackZenkiS14 is offline   Reply With Quote