Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #6961
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Ok here's a question for all:

Not a full blown dedicated drift or track car.

What would be the best combo for most angle, without extending LCA's? So basically, if I wanted to road course the car or drive to work, I don't want -6* of camber.

Combination is in regards to aftermarket knuckles, outter tie rods, inner tie rods, tie rod spacers, ball joints, offset rack bushing, etc.
Just because you extend LCA's doesn't mean you will need to run -6 degrees of camber, all depends on wheel offset to get the best fitment. Also, I would not suggest getting modded knuckles without having extended LCA's, with the added steering angle you will want that knuckle moved out, otherwise you're gonna start to find out what all rubs pretty quickly.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #6962
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I think the increased roll resistance from a drop knuckle combined with the wider front track really offset any negatives associated with not being able to run a really aggressive wheel and tire setup.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #6963
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissansota240 View Post
Just because you extend LCA's doesn't mean you will need to run -6 degrees of camber, all depends on wheel offset to get the best fitment. Also, I would not suggest getting modded knuckles without having extended LCA's, with the added steering angle you will want that knuckle moved out, otherwise you're gonna start to find out what all rubs pretty quickly.

Well, by the sounds of it, average LCA extensions are about 1" (obviously this can vary). With camber plates and that 1" extension (from what I've read) you will still be at approximately -4* (top plates being positive as possible).

I get the wheel fitment part, if you wanted to get serious about geometry and design, sure. The negative camber (-4 or more) degrees would wear down a street driven car's tires regardless of wheel dimensions.

So your opinion is stock knuckles, unless running extended LCA's.

Good to hear, still looking for all opinions and experiences.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #6964
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
If you're doing roadcourse work, gktech stuff would work great. Ackerman really isn't important on a decently sized track, and the quicksteer is nice.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #6965
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
If you're doing roadcourse work, gktech stuff would work great. Ackerman really isn't important on a decently sized track, and the quicksteer is nice.

I saw those, that looks like a good option (so it sounds) for what Id like.

It also sounds like a steering rack spacers may be enough for now.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #6966
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Got my gktech knuckles put on massive angle than I put my wheels on and back to what it was before. Wheels hit the frame rail. My wheels are enkei j10 18x7.5 38 offset. New wheels are out of the question could I get some spacers to make it fit?
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #6967
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yeah like some 25mm ones haha. Sheesh that's a high offset wheel.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #6968
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yea i know they came with the car so I was thinking 2" spacers because the wheels are tucked under the fenders about 1 3/4" and I hate that look.
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #6969
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
you need to either extend your LCA's or effectively get lower offset wheels (spacers).
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #6970
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

GKTech Long LCA and V3 knuckle installed. Achievable angle is just awesome.
My current limitation is also the tire hitting the frame. I have the LCA's set at about 380mm center to center and 18×9.5 +10mm wheels.

Last edited by ka-titties; 01-26-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Old 01-27-2016, 01:27 AM   #6971
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Here my setup with the gk 17x10+18 , I don't have an alignment , I'll probably get some smaller wheels

Old 01-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #6972
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

What length is your LCA set to?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #6973
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
I'll probably get some smaller wheels.
Wide wheels and big angle is definitely a pain in the ass. I'm going for a low-offset 17x8 but your LCA's should allow for slightly wider.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #6974
Fab_Lab

Fab_Lab is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification t...

I extend control arms if anyone is interested.
These are extended 32mm, tig welded by a certified welder

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160127/
The notched ones are not available for purchase yet.

d911348c4877b58e65b26f63c1e32ff2.jpg[/IMG]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453916982.306430.jpg

#FablabImageUploadedByTapatalk1453917206.369295.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453917508.570186.jpg
Fab_Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #6975
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Here my setup with the gk 17x10+18 , I don't have an alignment , I'll probably get some smaller wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
What length is your LCA set to?
You guys are both on stock metal fenders I see, either of you have any on ground pics and wheels straight ahead fender to tire fitment/poke pics?
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #6976
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
in this side the fender has not been pulled at all, ill measure later how far i have the extendeted lower control arms , look at the camber setting for the coilover

this side has been pulled, some what, still need to work it, , again look at the camber setting max setting, porbably a total of -8 degree if i had to assume, i need to change tire setup for sure, the tires i have currently were on the wheels when i bought them 225/50 r17

i either have to get wider fenders, change rim size and tire size
Old 01-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #6977
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
Is anyone actively using the gktech front and rear knuckles on the road and track? Ive had them on for testing before using it on track.
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #6978
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISR20MO View Post
You guys are both on stock metal fenders I see, either of you have any on ground pics and wheels straight ahead fender to tire fitment/poke pics?
Nothing on the ground yet. I haven't adjusted for camber either. My 'stock metal' fenders have been heavily massaged with a jack handle/bad/tire/etc. They're far from what the OEM fender lip position would be. I had to raise the coilover at least 1.5-2 inches just to be able to put the wheel back on after putting the new knuckles on.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #6979
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification t...

GkTech roll center knuckles.
S13 lca's extended 1" outside of the tension arms, inside bushings replaced with a 3/4" heim joint.
Voodoo13 tension arms.
Rack mounts moved forward. Passenger side George's rack extension. Driver side PBM tie rod spacer. Removed the rack extension from the driver side as the rack doesn't physically travel enough to make use of it.
OEM Autozone s13 inner and outer tie rods with lifetime warranty.

People like to point out the Ackerman as a bad thing. I personally don't see the issue and did not want a 0 Ackerman car. Looks like I'm getting the same leading angle of their V3 knuckles.

17x10 +0 225/45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #6980
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
So aftermarket knuckles + oem length flca + aggressive front wheel setup is no bueno?

I was trying to fix my roll center with PBM knuckles, and figured I might as well get their FLCA too. This isn't a drift car.

S14 - PBM knuckles, PBM flca/ten rod combo (flca set to all the way short), tein inner/outers, slotted coils, and 17x10 -30ish up front. No spacers and 215/40's.

Been slacking on eyeballing the alignment, haven't touched it in a couple weeks. I guess I can play with it more, just making sure I'm understanding things correctly.

PBM tension rod bracket ftw. My old one was destroyed. Yes I know my brake line is just chillin. And normally all my collars are removed, I was under the false impression that the PBM knuckle is a drop knuckle when I first installed it so I had to take them back out.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #6981
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
People like to point out the Ackerman as a bad thing. I personally don't see the issue and did not want a 0 Ackerman car. Looks like I'm getting the same leading angle of their V3 knuckles.
Ackerman isn't bad or good but it makes the biggest difference in drift car handling IMO. In my experience if you stick with that high ackerman stuff you will limit your speed during drift and steering feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed
So aftermarket knuckles + oem length flca + aggressive front wheel setup is no bueno?

I was trying to fix my roll center with PBM knuckles, and figured I might as well get their FLCA too. This isn't a drift car.

S14 - PBM knuckles, PBM flca/ten rod combo (flca set to all the way short), tein inner/outers, slotted coils, and 17x10 -30ish up front. No spacers and 215/40's.

Been slacking on eyeballing the alignment, haven't touched it in a couple weeks. I guess I can play with it more, just making sure I'm understanding things correctly.
What is your car for? If it's just stance or looking cool then you're fine. If you are trying to road race or track day you are going to have a bad time with the reduced ackerman.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #6982
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
Ackerman isn't bad or good but it makes the biggest difference in drift car handling IMO. In my experience if you stick with that high ackerman stuff you will limit your speed during drift and steering feel.
But at the same time this setup is still a lot less Ackerman than the stock knuckles, and a whole lot more steering angle. So it's not like I'm worse off than when I had stock knuckles. Maybe won't have as high of corner speed as a 0 Ackerman car. But it's gotta be better than a stock knuckle car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #6983
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post

PBM tension rod bracket ftw. My old one was destroyed. Yes I know my brake line is just chillin. And normally all my collars are removed, I was under the false impression that the PBM knuckle is a drop knuckle when I first installed it so I had to take them back out.
Lengthening your LCA gives your wheels more clearance to the frame. If its not a drift car, leave your LCA stock length.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #6984
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
GKTech Long LCA and V3 knuckle installed. Achievable angle is just awesome.
My current limitation is also the tire hitting the frame. I have the LCA's set at about 380mm center to center and 18×9.5 +10mm wheels.

How much static camber up front?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #6985
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
How much static camber up front?
I haven't gotten the chance to put the car on the ground yet or measure camber for that matter.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #6986
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
What is your car for? If it's just stance or looking cool then you're fine. If you are trying to road race or track day you are going to have a bad time with the reduced ackerman.
Pretty much just the former. So that's good to know, thanks.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #6987
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

I would definitely agree with the first paragraph, but I'd have to disagree with the last one. My car, which has zero ackerman, has awesome turn in and corner bite. I'd say the only difference between my setup and an awesome roadcoarse setup would be the front camber. Mine is quite high at -7* right now.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #6988
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Ackerman can be tweaked to your liking by moving the steering rack anyway, so it's a moot point. I got the GKTech knuckles even though I use my car in autocross. I'll simply fix the Ackerman with eccentric bushings.

Ideal Ackerman is based of of tire data that's out of the realm of the normal person to collect anyway. This is probably why PoorMan likes 0* while others don't, tire differences.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #6989
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I need to see if I can fit eccentric bushings on my rack since the rack mounts have already been moved forward. At that point I might run out of spline engagement on the steering shaft u-joint.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #6990
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I need to see if I can fit eccentric bushings on my rack since the rack mounts have already been moved forward. At that point I might run out of spline engagement on the steering shaft u-joint.
The tie rods will hit the LCA bolts.