Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #631
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabash9000 View Post
alright I know you can't do a new manifold this year, but I would like to throw this out there for next years upgrades.
LS1 and LS7 Billet Manifolds with ITB's - HybridZ
and then build intakes like this e30 has(lots of pics scroll down)
VWVortex.com - V10 E30 M3 Build
holly balerness batman!!! that beamer is insane. i have a question though if you do itbs how would one meter the air?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #632
JesusFast
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
JesusFast is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
More pics!
JesusFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #633
Wabash9000
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Wabash9000 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
holly balerness batman!!! that beamer is insane. i have a question though if you do itbs how would one meter the air?
if he built intakes like on that e30 I linked then could run dual map or maf's on the intake pipes down to the filters. people build itb setups for the ka without airboxes, I don't know what they do for it though.
Wabash9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #634
Wabash9000
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Wabash9000 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok actually get this itb setup
HARROP | Engine
it looks a little more thought out, has better injector locations, and comes with plates to build intake boxes out of.
a guy on ls1 tech posted this:
Quote:
He made 65 HP more using the ITB intake over his Wilson sheet metal intake. Couldn't get the Wilson to idle less than 1,200, the ITB idles smooth at 600 rpm. Its an LSX 454ci., 13.5 E85 fuel, 650lift 260 duration @50 on a 114ls on 1.7 ratio, AFR 245cc heads.....and if you contact him, he's a member here too....thats 752 RWHP.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/GTM-...ETC_184408.htm
sounds pretty good to me, 65 more hp over another aftermarket intake.
Wabash9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #635
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabash9000 View Post
ok actually get this itb setup
HARROP | Engine
it looks a little more thought out, has better injector locations, and comes with plates to build intake boxes out of.
Sweet Jesus I need to start saving up.... oh wait, I don't even have everything I need just to get it running.

Slight update... I'm officially powered by 240-volt in my garage now. I also hooked up my regulator/lubricator, lines and all of that crap tonight on my compressor. So I'm ready to rock on this bitch now! Stay tuned for some updates next week.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #636
KingMidas
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
KingMidas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Awesome build man.
KingMidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #637
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Any updates?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #638
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

The man, the myth, the faux hawk.

I'm not sure if you can tell from this AWESOME iphone picture, but he's sandblasting out the remnants of seam sealer

I'm sure an update is inbound, he's done a lot of work, but just been really busy with everything,
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #639
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Sandblasting, with no mask, no eye protection, no dust, and in a T-shirt? He must be Heman.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #640
KrazyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (28)
KrazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
That sure doesnt look like a sandblaster to me but then again the awesome clarity of that pic is to awesome for bad eyes to see....lol

Removing old seam sealer is a hell of an idea though, mine looks like shit and could definitely use to be redone!
KrazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #641
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looks kind of like a dremel. I feel your pain on the task of removing seam sealer, wire wheeling the holes, welding, then grinding everything flush though. I spent so much time on that ugh. Looks good when done though for sure.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #642
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

He's got gloves on. He's got this, BRO.

Or...(and I'll let Toby explain this more if he ever takes a break from building dope custom stuff for people) he has some recapturing tip on there to where there is basically no dust/extra sandblasting media in the air, it directs it at exactly the point you are sandblasting, and only there. I would liken the use of it more to a drill I guess.

I can't find a picture of it with the recapturing system. I don't think it's a snap-on piece (like the sandblaster itself), so I don't know what to search for on google.

Last edited by kyles1988; 04-28-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #643
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles1988 View Post
The man, the myth, the faux hawk.
Man, such a boss.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #644
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Awesome car is awesome. V8 or not Toby builds some dope shit. Put a car in his hands.....any car, and I guarantee he will make it gorgeous.
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #645
nautical miles

Trader Rating: (2)
nautical miles is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_This View Post
Awesome car is awesome. V8 or not Toby builds some dope shit. Put a car in his hands.....any car, and I guarantee he will make it gorgeous.

geo metro... 3 cylinder..... broadfield style???? ...yes????... win?????
Originally Posted by juan3023 View Post
how much does a container usually goes for does any one on here have any idea ?
Not sure exactly what they go for but i would assume a premium if its a week before race wars.
nautical miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #646
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
i found my new tool i hate my stupid sandblaster i have its so difficult to use
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #647
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
i guess he has the hot spot attachment like this Siphon-Fed Speed Blaster
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #648
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Yep, that's it.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #649
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
A little bit of an update, but nothing over the top. After 5 weeks of doing nothing, I finally got a chance to get my ass in the bay and start prepping for welding. The standard grinding of all of the holes to bare metal on both sides.

I also had the slightest bit of surface rust causing cracks in some areas of the seam sealer. So I decided I would remove all of the seam sealer and inspect it, then take care of any trouble spots. Naturally I used a flat blade screw driver to peal away the old seam sealer. I had some surface rust underneath in several spots... as you can see on the top seam:

To quickly remove the surface rust effectively and easily, I used a Speed Blaster sand blaster. I also have the Hot Spot re-collection bag to help collect the media. The other bonus is that the rubber tips that come with the Hot Spot allow you to blast small spots without getting media everywhere. You simply apply a lot of pressure to the surface when blasting and it doesn't allow media to creep out around the edges of the tip opening.

This picture demonstrates the difference:

Then the finished results:

Since I'm doing a tucked radiator, I also took this opportunity to shave the old radiator mounts:

Battery tray removed and the area underneath opened up to weld in new metal:

The previous owner also had the OEM SR side mount intercooler... so the area was hacked out to accommodate it. I had made a fiberglass plate that covered that entire area and my crankcase breather mounted to it. So it was completely finished off on my old setup. However, I won't have anything there with the V8, so it will also get fresh metal welded in there:

I also had a little bit of surface rust where the shock tower and top rail meet and are spot welded to a top plate. So I drilled out the spot welds with the proper bit, then used a cutoff wheel so I could peel back the area and gain access to the rusted area.

I had this issue on both sides of the car. So I prepped the metal by grinding it down bare so the rust was completely gone:

Since this area has to be welded back in place, I can't just spray it with rust inhibitor, then primer, paint etc... because it will just burn up. So I sprayed the area with weld thru primer. This stuff does just what the name implies:

So now when it's time to weld that back down, the primer will stay intact and protect the bare metal from corrosion again. Then seam seal the area back up and it should be good to go for years to come.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #650
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
whats the name of the weld through primer and were did u get it? im going to strip my bay and the inside of the vehicle to bare metal in a few days.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #651
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisfk View Post
whats the name of the weld through primer and were did u get it? im going to strip my bay and the inside of the vehicle to bare metal in a few days.
You can just get it from any auto body supply store. Mine is 3M Weld Thru II

Make sure to read the instructions as you can not go over this primer with filler or other top coats. So you need to make sure to remove any exposed weld thru prime after welding.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #652
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Hey Toby, you may think about some sort of cold air intake on tha driverside sidemount area. I can't remember what type of intake setup you are planning on going with, but I ran a 4in intake to a 4inch K&N filter and I am having some IAT temp issues with my setup. Planning on building a cold air box this week, but then again I'm not running coated longtubes either. Just a thought.

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #653
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
Hey Toby, you may think about some sort of cold air intake on tha driverside sidemount area. I can't remember what type of intake setup you are planning on going with, but I ran a 4in intake to a 4inch K&N filter and I am having some IAT temp issues with my setup. Planning on building a cold air box this week, but then again I'm not running coated longtubes either. Just a thought.
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I can just simply use a hole saw to open that area up if I need to. Then just paint the edge to keep it from rusting. I'll have to put some sort of finisher around the edge of the opening anyway if I cut a hole for piping to come through.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #654
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Great progress, and thanks for taking pics so the kids know the 'right' way to prep a bay. I always try to get the prep done in a day, so I never take pics each step.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #655
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Great progress, and thanks for taking pics so the kids know the 'right' way to prep a bay. I always try to get the prep done in a day, so I never take pics each step.
Yeah, so far I've only been getting an hour or two here and there to work on it. So taking the time to take pictures isn't really slowing me down more than the slow speed I'm already going. Now for my job, yeah, there is no way in hell I'm taking the time to take pictures of running wires, building enclosures, installing speakers etc. Unless of course it's some $20,000 setup, then yeah, I'll take pics.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #656
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Looking good boss! I had better be breathing in the exhaust fumes from this thing by mid July!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #657
KrazyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (28)
KrazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Looking good boss! I had better be breathing in the exhaust fumes from this thing by mid July!
Agreed! I'm really hoping to see the car in person at IA and meet both of you there!

Damon, your car better be there too!

Toby, that bay prep looks great! That little speed blaster looks like it makes things a lot easier, I'm thinking about pickin one up along with the attatchment.
KrazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #658
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyS13 View Post
Agreed! I'm really hoping to see the car in person at IA and meet both of you there!

Damon, your car better be there too!

Toby, that bay prep looks great! That little speed blaster looks like it makes things a lot easier, I'm thinking about pickin one up along with the attatchment.
The Speed Blaster is sick, but it's only used in very specific areas... so I'm not sure it's going to do what you want it to do.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #659
tims05
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
tims05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was reading your previous post bout the intake. If you get the stock ls3 intake ported, the FAST intake wont net you much if anything.

Ive got a ported ls3 intake on my gto along with ls3 heads on my ls2 and after seeing the FAST not netting anyone much of a gain over a ported ls3 intake. Porting the ls3 intake is the way to go if you dont wanna drop $800+ on a intake.
tims05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #660
Magical Trevor
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Magical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Magical Trevor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tims05 View Post
I was reading your previous post bout the intake. If you get the stock ls3 intake ported, the FAST intake wont net you much if anything.

Ive got a ported ls3 intake on my gto along with ls3 heads on my ls2 and after seeing the FAST not netting anyone much of a gain over a ported ls3 intake. Porting the ls3 intake is the way to go if you dont wanna drop $800+ on a intake.
This....

The new FAST for the LS3 isn't gaining anything compared to what the LS7 fast is. A well ported stock manifold is the way to go Toby, the new 102mm FAST for the LS3 gained 5-7whp over the stock manifold.
Magical Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote