Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #5971
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in 9/8k and it's too soft. I bottom out a really often. Every intersection and in hard turns. Yes even flat surface corners. But my struts are blown, and springs are drooped.
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #5972
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedLife View Post
I'm in 9/8k and it's too soft. I bottom out a really often. Every intersection and in hard turns. Yes even flat surface corners. But my struts are blown, and springs are drooped.
seriously? then nothing you just said is relevant...

ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #5973
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Im currently running the new forged PBM knuckles along with extended LCA. I have been told I shouldn't run aftermarket outer tie rods due to them binding. I was told to run stock outers.

My current tie rod setup are Kazama s14 inners along with SPL V5 outers.
joshchewuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #5974
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshchewuhh View Post
Im currently running the new forged PBM knuckles along with extended LCA. I have been told I shouldn't run aftermarket outer tie rods due to them binding. I was told to run stock outers.

The cheap aftermarket outers usually don't have bearings with enough misalignment. A quality name brand like SPL will work fine.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #5975
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So I have been doing my research but I haven't found a straight foeard answer so here is my issue.
First my setup that I just installed:
S14 FLCA's
Inner Tein Tie Rods with rack spacers
SPL Tie Rod Ends
S13 Modded Knuckles
However it still has stock traction rods

And I got everything aligned.

So I turned the wheel to full lock and I noticed my angle has decreased and I can only turn the wheel one full time around and it locks due to the outer tie rod hitting the s14 bump stop. I have read that many people grind or cut off the bump stop, but I am worried if I do this will my outer tie rod will now hit my control arm. What can I do to prevent the outer tie rod from hitting my control arm and to increase my angle like I hoped to do?
Thank you.
badass8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #5976
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^Best solution is to chop the stock bump stops and weld on adjustable stops with a bolt/nut setup like this
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #5977
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Who cares if your tie rod hits your LCA? It's your new bump stop at that point. If you can go that far, fab up a new steering stop like above. Not rocket surgery.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #5978
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Not rocket surgery.
Lolz......
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #5979
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a pretty sweet looking bump stop. Never seen that one before, learn something new everyday. I will be chopping up my bump stops thank you for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #5980
Jfitzg38
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Jfitzg38 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've reqd back into this tjread and can't seem to find an exact answer to my question.

If I were to extend my s13 flca's by 30mm, would I need to run s14 outer tie rods (which I believe are longer) in order to compensate?
Jfitzg38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #5981
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
It's the Inners that are longer.
If you look through again you should be able to find a post with the Lengths of different Nissan Tie-Rods that fit our Racks.
Most requiring S14 Outers due to the Thicker Rod/Thread pitch change.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #5982
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:

We tell people to use the OEM style outers and our long inners because our knuckle is set up to have no bump steer at the OEM outer vertical height so if you need to use SPL outers becuase of the turnbuckle length (since Kazama inner length is not going to work for anyone) then just make sure you adjust the aftermarket outer tie rod taper height to be the same as stock.

I know it a PITA because the taper shank on that one is a mile long.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #5983
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
im piecing together a new set up.

ive moved my steering rack an inch forward
extended my LCA by 1 1/4"
getting PBM pro knuckles

for my tie rods I have s14 tein inners with the slip on spacer and for outers i have q45 moog. they are the same thread pitch as s14 and appear to have the same taper angle, but the taper seems to extend further then a s14 moog(sold my old knuckles so have nothing to bolt it into currently) the q45 moog outer are a little over an inch longer then a s14, so i think this setup will work. waiting for my knuckles to get to me to bolt it all together.
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #5984
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like i30 inners with q45 outers are the best budget minded forklift steering rod I have to extend my s13 outers so my wheels can go full swing. I've already extended my outers almost an inch and feel if i give it more track i'm really gonna run out of thread. Lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #5985
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
time for some track testing. The current Australian dollar is good for you guys. The intro price is going to be $199 AUD including our sales tax which is $181AUD excluding our tax = $162USD + delivery.

40mm roll centre correction and a little over 60 degrees of bolt on steering lock.

So are these jams still happening, or should we start looking into other options?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5986
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
So are these jams still happening, or should we start looking into other options?
They're delaying them as long as they can because they need to make their money back on the knuckles, and they realize once these come out nobody is going to want to buy a whole knuckle.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #5987
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Haha, didn't think about it like this^, valid point.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #5988
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
They're delaying them as long as they can because they need to make their money back on the knuckles, and they realize once these come out nobody is going to want to buy a whole knuckle.
These just correct roll center while the knuckles are true drop knuckles right?
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #5989
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
These just correct roll center while the knuckles are true drop knuckles right?
Yeah, but most people don't care since they function the same way. Drop knuckles are nice if you have long coilovers in the front, but other than that it's the same as dropping the LCA mount. Hence why PSM forged knuckles are just LCA/tie rod drop.

I thought this was kinda cool. A typical low car on the left, my car on the right.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 12-01-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #5990
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Yeah, but most people don't care since they function the same way. Drop knuckles are nice if you have long coilovers in the front, but other than that it's the same as dropping the LCA mount. Hence why PSM forged knuckles are just LCA/tie rod drop.

I thought this was kinda cool. A typical low car on the left, my car on the right.

I am having a hard time imagining any road that either of those could make it down, but your geometry is amazing, considering.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #5991
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
They are still happening, we've got them on a few cars testing on track already (for the past 4-5 months now)

We will be running a small production batch in the next month or 2. Keep an eye on our facebook page if you're not already on it for further updates: www.facebook.com/gktech
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #5992
Silvi
Leaky Injector

Silvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Is somebody have issues with clearance after forwarding the rack?
My downpipe rubbing steering shaft when then engine is moving under load. any easy solution?
Its a PITA removing the downpipe
Silvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #5993
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvi View Post
Is somebody have issues with clearance after forwarding the rack?
My downpipe rubbing steering shaft when then engine is moving under load. any easy solution?
Its a PITA removing the downpipe
dent the downpipe or move your exhaust hanger to pull it over.... or even better, replace your engine mounts so your engine doesnt move as much...
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #5994
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

With that RC correction, will it hit on 17" wheels at the inner barrel if the offset isn't negative?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #5995
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
They are still happening, we've got them on a few cars testing on track already (for the past 4-5 months now)

We will be running a small production batch in the next month or 2. Keep an eye on our facebook page if you're not already on it for further updates: www.facebook.com/gktech

What is the functional difference between these and the full knuckle kit?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #5996
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
With that RC correction, will it hit on 17" wheels at the inner barrel if the offset isn't negative?
There is more than 1/2in clearance there, but we're about to find out for sure. I have 17" wheels coming in the mail for the front.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #5997
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Everyone should buy the knuckle still & resist the urge to cheap out on the bottom bracket because while you are saving money you are killing the KPI and Scrub Radius. Thats the compromise you have to consider & thats why its still worth your money for a complete knuckle.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #5998
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Just ordered PSM inner tie rods thinking they would be long enough with my 15mm extended S14 LCA, PSM forged knuckles and moog outer tie rod ends and they aren't. (S13)

I was thinking about purchasing two of the "big angle spacer" people sell for the steering rack to space the inners further out. Any thoughts or better ideas? Thanks
joshchewuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #5999
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^apparently the q45 outers are longer and might work... you could give that a shot. I'd try to avoid the large spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post
for my tie rods I have s14 tein inners with the slip on spacer and for outers i have q45 moog. they are the same thread pitch as s14 and appear to have the same taper angle, but the taper seems to extend further then a s14 moog(sold my old knuckles so have nothing to bolt it into currently) the q45 moog outer are a little over an inch longer then a s14, so i think this setup will work. waiting for my knuckles to get to me to bolt it all together.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #6000
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
We tell people to use the OEM style outers and our long inners because our knuckle is set up to have no bump steer at the OEM outer vertical height so if you need to use SPL outers becuase of the turnbuckle length (since Kazama inner length is not going to work for anyone) then just make sure you adjust the aftermarket outer tie rod taper height to be the same as stock.

I know it a PITA because the taper shank on that one is a mile long.
Quote:
Just ordered PSM inner tie rods thinking they would be long enough with my 15mm extended S14 LCA, PSM forged knuckles and moog outer tie rod ends and they aren't. (S13)

I was thinking about purchasing two of the "big angle spacer" people sell for the steering rack to space the inners further out. Any thoughts or better ideas? Thanks
So, if I understand this correctly, PBM recommended you purchase their tie-rods, then they didn't fit? This is disconcerting info considering my recent acquisition of tie-rods from them.