Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #31
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
tint & exhaust are the biggest draws to cops.
especially if you have some loud bov going off.

I've gotten pulled over once in 4 yrs of owning my 240,
and that was because of exhaust and tint.
(was super lucky to get away w/ fix-it tickets only)
I need my tint, but I swapped out my exhaust for a more subtle replacement.

Ultimately it's going to be a gamble.
You can do stuff to reduce your chances of getting pulled over,
but you can never guarantee it.
I say just keep your car as sleeper as possible.

Also some areas are worse than others.
The OC/Irvine seems to me like the absolute worst.
The San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley (close to Pasadena) are moderately bad.
West LA, Santa Monica, and Downtown LA seem more laid back.
Hollywood can be hit or miss.

i have been lucky in Pasadena/Atwater Villiage/Burbank/Eagle Rock area so far.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #32
beb
Zilvia Junkie

beb is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaving it titled in FL only saves you registration fees.. By law, you are supposed to research on your own and abide by any state laws if you enter that state...

As far as getting hassled, Ive never gotten pulled over for the fact that I am modified. I have had no bad experience with cops in my bright red turbo s2k with bright blue wheels..neither in my flat green s14 with bright pink wheels - both cars had pretty loud exhausts too. Cops (IMO) leave you alone as long as youre not driving like a douchebag (riding ass, switching lanes freq etc).

Good luck on your move!
beb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #33
RacerX1
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
RacerX1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I moved here in August from Chicago and I was planning to go to PCC as well, too bad that school fucking SUCKS, especially if your an out of state student. I have been there at least 20x in the past couple months just trying to get into classes, the people there are rude and fucking stupid.

Sorry, hadda get some frustration out. I have a SR and have my car registered in IL at my dads house under my name. Ive been pulled over twice for my exhaust and I told both cops [as politely as possible] that I am here for school and havent gotten around to registering it, they understood . I also know a guy who has had his registered in North Dakota for 5 years now and hasnt had more than a hiccup.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #34
kevmeistah21
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (68)
kevmeistah21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kevmeistah21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX1 View Post
I moved here in August from Chicago and I was planning to go to PCC as well, too bad that school fucking SUCKS, especially if your an out of state student. I have been there at least 20x in the past couple months just trying to get into classes, the people there are rude and fucking stupid.
oh really? i got classes perfectly fine and im not rude nor stupid. K thanks <3
Late Night Crew... #02 <3

Bought anything from me? Please leave me a review!

http://zilvia.net/f/private-sellers/...meistah21.html
kevmeistah21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #35
RacerX1
Zilvia Junkie

Let me correct myself, the employees there are fucking stupid.
Denada

<3
Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #36
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
both my cars are registered in florida.
i have a fl drivers license.
i've only been pulled over once in the last 2 years (but i drive like a grandma on the streets)
cop couldn't write me up for anything.
i stay in costa mesa when i'm on this coast.
my car is very very very far from stock.

bottom line is there are no guarantees. cops can do whatever they want, and even if they can't make it stick, it can still be a massive hassle/nightmare for you.
Just roll like Tyler and you'll be straight.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #37
malemodel69
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
malemodel69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I drive like a maniac....

Only had my 240 for 7 months, and I drive it like i stole it. Believe it or not, I ran a stop sign in front of a cop because it was raining and there was no way i was going to stop and burn out (up hill on super bumpy pavement). Ran it, he gave me a look of dissapointment and shook his head (no ticket). Another time i was going 70mph on a side street (road rage) and pulled up right behind a cop, he weaved his hand out hte window and took off. BOV went off cruising right next to a cop while he had his window open, got a dirty look but kept cruising next to him and guess what, no ticket. Got followed for miles but since my exhaust looks stock and the RB purrs - didn't pull me over. I just pretend like im driving my POS saturn when the cops are around and they don't bother me. Basically it comes down to this, drive it like you don't care that they are following or are next to you and you should be fine, but once they smell fear you are SOL. I get pulled over in my Saturn more than in the 240 (havent been pulled in the 240 yet)...Ohh, must i remind you, motorcycle cops will ruin your day, unless they are busy they will definitely pull you over (they hate cars).....

Yes, i drive like a douchebag, but even so i don't get fucked with. I've stopped after the 70mph incident, i know my luck will run out if i keep it up. But how can you own a 240 and not drive like you're better than everyone else? HAHA.
malemodel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #38
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
I think that's the worst advice I've heard in a long time.

I would suggest the more or less the opposite.
Be courteous.
If you have to break the law,
at least be discreet & be aware of your surroundings beforehand.

Most of it is luck.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take extra steps to prevent the likelihood of a disaster.

It is really tempting to throw illegal manuevers in LA.
The drivers here in are generally slow & traffic is heavy.
Just please be as careful as possible.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #39
DUFFM4N
Post Whore!

Location: Southern California...where i stretch out haters like a bad thong
Trader Rating: (40)
DUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfectionDUFFM4N is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DUFFM4N Send a message via Yahoo to DUFFM4N
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb View Post
Leaving it titled in FL only saves you registration fees.. By law, you are supposed to research on your own and abide by any state laws if you enter that state...

As far as getting hassled, Ive never gotten pulled over for the fact that I am modified. I have had no bad experience with cops in my bright red turbo s2k with bright blue wheels..neither in my flat green s14 with bright pink wheels - both cars had pretty loud exhausts too. Cops (IMO) leave you alone as long as youre not driving like a douchebag (riding ass, switching lanes freq etc).

Good luck on your move!
it helps that you're a girl too

things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who HUSTLE

CLICK HERE FOR MY BLOG
DUFFM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #40
thatdrifterguy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
thatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wont you have to keep getting it safety checked or something each time you register it with FL?
thats how it works here at least. sorry, might be moving over sometime as well and never thought about these things yet.
thatdrifterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #41
YoungGun
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
YoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Don't be a dick when they pull you over.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #42
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
I drive the car in my sig, ka with no muffler (4 inch )...i drive real slow, stay around the 2k rpm level....stop at stopsigns and mind my own business. I have a few stickers on my car, but its your driving that makes the difference. Oh, and bike cops are out for everyone.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #43
pinky121388
Leaky Injector

pinky121388 is making a name for him/her selfpinky121388 is making a name for him/her self
dude dont go to cali. everything is all messed up there. go somewhere else. Tree hugging state isnt the state you want to be at. I visited cali and about 3 cars aday were getting pulled over. A few 240s, hondas, and golfs.
pinky121388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #44
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
Ultimately it's going to be a gamble.
You can do stuff to reduce your chances of getting pulled over,
but you can never guarantee it.
I say just keep your car as legit looking as possible. (Front plate, no tint, sleeper exhaust, everything in working order)

Also some areas are worse than others.
The OC/Irvine seems to me like the absolute worst.
This seems pretty accurate. I fixed the part in bold text.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #45
malemodel69
BANNED

malemodel69 is an unknown quantity at this point
RB Risk vs. Reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
This seems pretty accurate. I fixed the part in bold text.
I drive like a douche, but i have a catalytic converter on my car and the exhaust is pretty stock looking - low sound and crappy look. But when its at WOT, the RB roars like a lion. Low profile exhaust helps a lot, its always the ricer civics and integras with big fart cans that i see on the side of the road. You have 2 choices when you move here, sell the 240 and get a regular boring POS car, or keep the 240 and make it LOW PRO.
malemodel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #46
kevmeistah21
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (68)
kevmeistah21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kevmeistah21
Quote:
Originally Posted by malemodel69 View Post
I drive like a douche, but i have a catalytic converter on my car and the exhaust is pretty stock looking - low sound and crappy look. But when its at WOT, the RB roars like a lion. Low profile exhaust helps a lot, its always the ricer civics and integras with big fart cans that i see on the side of the road. You have 2 choices when you move here, sell the 240 and get a regular boring POS car, or keep the 240 and make it LOW PRO.
you're a douche...
Late Night Crew... #02 <3

Bought anything from me? Please leave me a review!

http://zilvia.net/f/private-sellers/...meistah21.html
kevmeistah21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #47
sideview_s13
BANNED

sideview_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Leave it registered out of state is your prime choice. Once you have lived in state and get your CA-ID keep your out of state one as well. pull the out of state one when cops hit you up. Use the instate one when you go out to events and such.
sideview_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #48
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
There is a law that says you have to change your liscense and registration over to CA within 6 weeks of moving to CA. But unless a cop recognizes your car they can't prove it. Try and keep the florida reg as long as possible because CA has their own smog stations that people randomly get selected to go to. There is NO getting around these.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Wow good info. I just got here on Tuesday and was wondering about this stuff
MisawaJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #50
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Wait, what if your permanent address is another state outside of CA?
Say you, or a relative own a house out in OR or something like that.
Can you register your car as an OR car & drive it in CA, without having to register it as a CA car?

Thinking about buying an apartment in Portland, and possibly registering the car there.

Perhaps the OP can register is permanent address under the parents'
Not unreasonable given hes moving to CA just for school.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #51
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Quote:
Wait, what if your permanent address is another state outside of CA?
Say you, or a relative own a house out in OR or something like that.
Can you register your car as an OR car & drive it in CA, without having to register it as a CA car?

Thinking about buying an apartment in Portland, and possibly registering the car there.

It's not the cops who get you with the plates, its the judge when you appear in court. If you military your good anyone else they judge isn't going to listen cause he has heard it before. I seen this first hand in court. Student, temp jobs in CA over 45 day but you live in state X. He didnt care. Maybe it was out of state plate day I dunno.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #52
RacerX1
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
This is what I am doing.

I am sure there is a law against it, or at least frowned upon...but if its worth the risk to you then why not? If you keep getting pulled over then the cop is going to write you a ticket and your gonna have to deal with it in court eventually.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #53
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
It's not the cops who get you with the plates, its the judge when you appear in court. If you military your good
werd. Half the cars on base have out of state tags
MisawaJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #54
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
There is a law that says you have to change your liscense and registration over to CA within 6 weeks of moving to CA. But unless a cop recognizes your car they can't prove it. Try and keep the florida reg as long as possible because CA has their own smog stations that people randomly get selected to go to. There is NO getting around these.
Ah if you don't know the laws here do not comment. I.E. pertaining to your random selection statement. All Smog stations in California are licensed by the state. There are two types, Regular ones that can do repairs and Test only stations.
Pertaining to your random statement, cars are randomly selected to be run through test only stations were there bi annual smog is due. It usually happens more to higher mileage cars because they are profiled as being possible higher emitters.

Test only stations are not state stations they are independently owned by state licensed smog techs.

There are referee stations for people who get sent to the ref for violations but thats a whole other ball of wax.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #55
airhead
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
airhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
never gotten a ticket or pulled over

tip: put bumper sticker on the back that says"my child is an honor student at XXXXX elemetry"

you will never get pulled over.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #56
JayDee M Rolly
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
JayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JayDee M Rolly
just depends in the area you're in really, some cops in some areas are assholes (irvine) and some dont give a shit. just be lucky and keep your driving on check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
are you an angel? because i want to put my penis in your vagina.
http://yourenotdown.net/
JayDee M Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #57
silpena
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you can allway move to a smaller county in cali... i live in a small town where theres only 1 stop sign and like 4-5 cops. Never get pulled over unless its legit stuff to get pulled over. Bad registration, no insurance, car theft, head lights out, no plates, speeding, or annoying gangsta tints. Loud exhaust and all that will get you a look and probably a little bit of a hassle. Cops will tell you its annoying but most of the times it'll be a warning. Some smaller county's are suffering from low budgets and dont wanna waste their time on these.

LIke someone said have everything together. license, registration, insurance ready and your car running tip top!

Sacramento aint that bad.... i just hate the biker cops. Every day i see 2-3 ppl getting tickets on my way to work but alot are ppl speeding so much. I drive a 84 camry so best assure i cannot speed and wont. i learned my lesson

Last edited by silpena; 01-30-2010 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: hella spelling error's
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #58
Deviance
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Deviance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Hey guys i have a question reguarding the tint issue. If i have a light tint say as 25% or lighter all around on my S14 the cops shouldnt care right? My daily sedan has 5% limo tint all around and I dont get pulled over. I am used to having tint on my cars and I know I cant get away with limo tint on the S14.
Deviance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #59
g00se
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
g00se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
A tint is a tint they can/will still pull you over for stupid bs reasons.. btw VC 26708(A) Unlawful material on vehicle windows, is now no longer listed as a Correctable Violation. It may get dismissed if you can show proof of it being removed. If not, you will have to pay a standard fine depending on county and court, and you can be written for the violation again if you do not get it removed.

I ended up picking a used jetta diesel wagon for a daily to avoid the harassment.. that and 220 ft lbs of torque + 40-45 mpg =/

welcome to commiefornia
g00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #60
RHD95S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
RHD95S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you're living out of state for school you don't have to transfer your shit.. Atleast that's what Illinois, Indiana and Missouri have all said. Since I was a student I didn't even have to get state taxes taken out of my paychecks.

I would just keep your FL stuff if you're JUST going to school
RHD95S14 is offline   Reply With Quote