Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #4201
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Build the bump stop to hit the knuckle not the rod end...
Like so...

very nice thanks.. i like the bolt idea to set the stop..

have you used the car with this setup? did you have any weird steering with the suspension moving up and down and the knuckle rubbing on that bolt?
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #4202
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post
very nice thanks.. i like the bolt idea to set the stop..

have you used the car with this setup? did you have any weird steering with the suspension moving up and down and the knuckle rubbing on that bolt?
The car is in use. It is my buddy's car, he is using it in the Just Drift pro am series. He runs the car at lock quite a bit and has not expressed any ill feelings in the steering. There seems to be no wear pattern on the head of the bolts, only a small mark where the touch the knuckle. The finished stop has a gusset on the back of the stop to the arm, but I did not get a pic of that before the went back on the car.
Here is the car at Top Drift...

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #4203
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
^ bingo. manual racks are generally easier to turn because of that ratio, but you also have to turn it more lock-to-lock. a good depowered rack is still easy enough to turn; i personally don't think i'd like to switch over to a higher ratio.
Depowered racks always seem sloppy to me, and require way too much effort. Sure they make work, and sure you can adapt, but I'd still put a true manual rack>PS rack>depowered rack in terms of preference for me, and for most.

I should really get back to playing with the Mustang racks to see if I can make it work.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #4204
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
kinda off topic,....anyone verify that 97ish i30/i35 inner tie rod idea.

curious so i can buy some.....lol
Old 06-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #4205
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
IThaJokaI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IThaJokaI Send a message via MSN to IThaJokaI
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Depowered racks always seem sloppy to me, and require way too much effort. Sure they make work, and sure you can adapt, but I'd still put a true manual rack>PS rack>depowered rack in terms of preference for me, and for most.

I should really get back to playing with the Mustang racks to see if I can make it work.
If you make a manual rack that is a bolt in option, I will buy it.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #4206
frifox

Trader Rating: (0)
frifox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
kinda off topic,....anyone verify that 97ish i30/i35 inner tie rod idea.

curious so i can buy some.....lol
yep, put them on my ride last week and went to a drift even last saturday. worked out pretty good imo... i can take some pix later today if anyone wants.

ps: compared those rods with s14 ones. from the middle to the end that threads into the outer tie rod, s14 ones are 11mm thick and i30 ones are 13mm... so looks like they're longer AND thicker
frifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #4207
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IThaJokaI View Post
If you make a manual rack that is a bolt in option, I will buy it.
Second.

The Jegs Pinto rack has a 15:1 ratio.
http://www.jegs.com/jegs/jegsmanualrack.html
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #4208
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by frifox View Post
yep, put them on my ride last week and went to a drift even last saturday. worked out pretty good imo... i can take some pix later today if anyone wants.

ps: compared those rods with s14 ones. from the middle to the end that threads into the outer tie rod, s14 ones are 11mm thick and i30 ones are 13mm... so looks like they're longer AND thicker

Holy shit man,. yeah, this is great to hear. Pics would be awesome,.....buuuut prolly gonna buy them regardless....lol

edit: so just to be sure, 97 i30 inners is the right year/model
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #4209
frifox

Quote:

Holy shit man,. yeah, this is great to hear. Pics would be awesome,.....buuuut prolly gonna buy them regardless....lol

edit: so just to be sure, 97 i30 inners is the right year/model
looking at FSM for a 95 s14, they say tie-rod standard length "L" is 169mm... then, looking at i30 FSM years 96-99 they label "L" as 202mm (33mm longer than s14). then, FSM for i30/i35 years 01-04 "L" is 193mm (24mm longer than s14).

so yeah, just by looking at FSMs i'd suggest checking out tie rods for i30 years 96 to 99 and when going to buy them, to be on the safe side, always grab an s14 inner tie rod with you and check that the thread diameter & pitch match. i'm pretty sure they do but it doesnt hurt to verify

Last edited by frifox; 03-16-2018 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #4210
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I usually use NAPA Online whenever i want to compare suspension components.
they've got all of the thread pitches/lengths/tapers listed. Pretty useful!
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #4211
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
fail ass double post
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #4212
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
A little update:

We are now ready to start prototyping. For those that have missed it what we have here is a billet 7075-T6 aluminium modular knuckle for the S chassis (S13 and S14/S15) with Chromoly spindle. The steering arm is completely modular (we currently have a standard and DW spec arm as shown in this image which offers great angle and quick steering response), the brake caliper mount is radial and we currently have the standard position mount (either with or without ABS sensor provision) aswell as a mount to run R33 GTR (324mm rotors) with your standard 4pot Nissan calipers. The knuckle corrects roll center by 40mm's by raising the spindle height and the steering arm is adjustable in height (aswell as being modular). The knuckle provides +/- 2 degrees of camber and is car specific and parts are interchangeable. Ie. you will be able to order the knuckle with S14 spindle, with S14 ball joint insert but with S13 strut bolts (12mm Vs S14/S15 having 14mm). This is NOTHING like any other knuckle on the market. From here we go to prototyping/on car testing and we should see these late 2012. Estimated price at this stage is $599/pair (AUD). Any questions, feel free to ask away.

A breakdown of the specs:

ETA October, 2012

Estimated price - $599/pair (to be confirmed)

For those that have missed it what we have here is a billet 7075-T6 aluminium modular knuckle for the S chassis (S13 and S14/S15) with Chromoly spindle.

Featuring:
- spindle height raised 40mm's to correct roll center
- modular steering arm (choice between 2 arms at the time of ordering)
- adjustable steering arm to correct bump steer (as seen here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151055582888296)
- modular caliper mount with ABS provision (choice between 2 brackets at the time of ordering; standard and extended bracket to suit 4pot caliper with 324mm R33 GTR rotor
- S13 version is: 2.52kg which is a 24% reduction over standard
- S14/S15 version is: 2.63kg which is a 31% weight reduction over standard and DriftWorks item which weighs in at 3.8kg's
- adjustable KPI/Camber +/- 2 degrees
- mix and match when ordering. Ie. ability to order the knuckle with S14 spindle, with S14 ball joint insert but with S13 strut bolts (12mm Vs S14/S15 having 14mm)
- CAD files available to the general public for steering arm and caliper bracket development

More images can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3379304&type=3

Last edited by GKTECH; 06-05-2012 at 08:25 PM..
GKTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #4213
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
That price is looking very good! What is the projected weight of the knuckle?
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #4214
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
nice knuckles, cannot wait to see finished product
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #4215
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
That price is looking very good! What is the projected weight of the knuckle?
Standard S13 is 3.3kg, our S13 version is 2.52kg which is a 24% reduction, and standard S14/S15 is 3.8kg and our version is 2.63kg which is a 31% weight reduction. The DriftWorks unit is 3.8kgs Vs our 2.63kg.

That's based on the unit as pictured complete here:

P.s here's a short video of the steering arm in action: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151055582888296
Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #4216
frifox

Quote:

Pics would be awesome,.....
this is the car setup. maxed out camber plates outwards and extended lca's to get, if my math is correct, 3* front camber... or that's what it was before i raised fronts by 20mm. was rubbing the wheel well & fenders in all possible places

LCAs, Tension Rods, Knuckles, and Coilovers are by Parts Shop Max. Outer Tie Rods are stock s14 and Inner Tie Rods are from Infiniti i30.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #4217
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

That's not full lock in the pics is it??
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #4218
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

got passed this link today. makes some interesting points about camber gain, caster and wisefab kits. its inline with my way of thinking to a certain degree

http://www.inertia-ms.com/blog/?p=781
Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #4219
frifox

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmini View Post
That's not full lock in the pics is it??
for now, yes it is... the tie rod and the knuckle arm are pretty much inline at full lock right now so i'll need to move the steering rack forward to allow for more angle. i'll be doing that later since the angle i'm getting right now is more than enough for my 210k half dead KA
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #4220
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
Standard S13 is 3.3kg, our S13 version is 2.52kg which is a 24% reduction, and standard S14/S15 is 3.8kg and our version is 2.63kg which is a 31% weight reduction. The DriftWorks unit is 3.8kgs Vs our 2.63kg.

P.s here's a short video of the steering arm in action: May 31, 2012 2:48pm | Facebook

That looks like a really exciting product! Weight savings, modular steering arm, and radial caliper mounting option!? What calipers are those radial mounting bosses designed for? And being able to increase the king pin angle 2 degrees should raise the roll center as well. Have you calculated how much the roll center is raised by increasing the KPA 2 degrees, but still maintaing say 3 degrees of camber?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #4221
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
frifox, that L bracket looks like a great quick adjustment between our stock setting and where you need the bumpstop to be. Great idea.

To test weather that will work in all situations with your settings, take out the front spring, and jack up the wheel, and let it down to make sure the stop is making proper contact during all points of compression and droop.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #4222
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post

P.s here's a short video of the steering arm in action: May 31, 2012 2:48pm | Facebook
that looks really cool and you guys said you will have a grip oriented setup out of this too ey?
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #4223
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
That looks like a really exciting product! Weight savings, modular steering arm, and radial caliper mounting option!? What calipers are those radial mounting bosses designed for? And being able to increase the king pin angle 2 degrees should raise the roll center as well. Have you calculated how much the roll center is raised by increasing the KPA 2 degrees, but still maintaing say 3 degrees of camber?
The caliper mount pictured is the standard position. As the product sits, it is a direct fit to any S chassis car.

That's a very specific scenario and unfortunately we haven't calculated the roll center within that scenario. The KPI doesn't need to be changed, that's entirely up to the users preference and how much they want to play around with different settings.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #4224
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
that looks really cool and you guys said you will have a grip oriented setup out of this too ey?
The only difference between the 2 is the steering arm which you can choose at the time of ordering. Alternatively we will have the CAD files available to those with the skills to make their own steering arm and caliper mounts.

Here's the overhead shot of the 2 arm options (more options to come in the future)

Last edited by GKTECH; 06-06-2012 at 03:25 PM..
GKTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #4225
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
HHNNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!

Knuckle is looking great GKTECH. Letting the design be open source is going to make this thing blow up.

I know I've got quite a few plans for additions over time!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #4226
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
If you are making both the steering arm and brake caliper bracket modular, why not make the knuckle symmetrical so that the same knuckle could be L or R depending on which side you bolted the steering arm or brake caliper bracket to? Couldn't this decrease machining cost, to be making only one instead of two different knuckles?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #4227
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
If you are making both the steering arm and brake caliper bracket modular, why not make the knuckle symmetrical so that the same knuckle could be L or R depending on which side you bolted the steering arm or brake caliper bracket to? Couldn't this decrease machining cost, to be making only one instead of two different knuckles?
We originally had the design like this however a quick FEA showed that more material was required on the steering arm side, hence the current design.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #4228
travypoo
Zilvia Member

travypoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to travypoo
Here are the I30 vs the Teins.

travypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #4229
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
They look the same as Nissan X-Trail ones I just bought, I will post pics once I have gotten my s13 ones off the car
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #4230
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
IThaJokaI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IThaJokaI Send a message via MSN to IThaJokaI
Quote:
Originally Posted by travypoo View Post
Here are the I30 vs the Teins.
Only downfall is the lack of threads into the rack, so no room to run the slip on spacers. But I bet they would work great with a pair of those bolt on spacers.