Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #391
vtund777
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
vtund777 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtund777
^This is going to be nice! I'm glad the defi hud is staying!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #392
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtund777 View Post
I'm glad the defi hud is staying!
Huh???

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #393
vtund777
Zilvia Member

vtund777 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vtund777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
... So if anyone is interested in my entire Defi gauge setup, please let me know. I will be posting it up for sale once I confirm 100% that I'm getting rid of it...

Broadfield Custom Molded HUD Setup
-Defi VSD Concept HUD
NM. I misread the post. Ok I want the HUD unit...haha
Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #394
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Quail
Quote:
It looks as though I'm fairly set on doing a race display... most likely the Stack ST8100(M) piece.
My man.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #395
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail View Post
My man.
Is that what you have Quail? If so, how do you like it?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #396
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
No, but its what I'm saving for! I mentioned it in your other thread as I think I'll need your fab skills for a housing.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #397
Inland180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Inland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Inland180
Stupid Clean Work as always!! Cant wait to see the result!

Feedback LINK
Inland180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #398
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
It looks as though I'm fairly set on doing a race display... most likely the Stack ST8100(M) piece.
Since the LS3 actually has decent sensors and a CANbus to pass all the raw data around, you're much better off getting an AIMsports dash that plugs into the bus if you don't mind a digital tach. Literally a 4-wire install (+ign, ground, CANhi, CANlo), and you have everything you could ever need, plus data logging.

We just did this with Lukes (Blu808) LSx C6, and it's awesome. They even sell a formed wet carbon surround for mounting it. Hit up Luke about getting one, I'm not sure AIM has released the CANbus version officially yet.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #399
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to reflexdb
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Since the LS3 actually has decent sensors and a CANbus to pass all the raw data around, you're much better off getting an AIMsports dash that plugs into the bus if you don't mind a digital tach. Literally a 4-wire install (+ign, ground, CANhi, CANlo), and you have everything you could ever need, plus data logging.

We just did this with Lukes (Blu808) LSx C6, and it's awesome. They even sell a formed wet carbon surround for mounting it. Hit up Luke about getting one, I'm not sure AIM has released the CANbus version officially yet.
What he said. The Stack is perfect for something old school (carburetor, distributor, etc.). But with a modern ECU system, all the data that you'll want to display is on the CAN bus, so no need to add 2x the sensors.

AIM makes a non-data logging version for around $1100, which for that price it really can't be beat. If you want something with more upscale, take a look at the Cosworth Pi Omega D1 or the Motec SDL.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #400
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

Yeah, I was searching the other day for a system that would "interface" with the OEM sensors, but I didn't see anything on AIM's site for the GM applications. On top of that, I didn't know if the OEM sensors were up to par... but you answered that for me. So my only real problem is the fact that the AIM and the other ones that are basically identical aesthetically, the Dash 2 and the Racepak, are well.... ugly. They are also very busy on the display. This was the reason that I was leaning towards the Stack. Very simplistic, classy looking and so on. It's not like I need a lap timer. I'll just have to do some more research and make a decision that is right for me. The CAN hookup is just too damn easy to ignore though. We do about 500 remote starters every year and I use CAN on most of them.... makes integration and installation much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexdb View Post
If you want something with more upscale, take a look at the Cosworth Pi Omega D1 or the Motec SDL.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #401
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Kyle came over real quick and helped me drop out the cross member and the rest of the front suspension:

This is what I'm left with after the tear down... thank God I decided to organize it all:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #402
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dont drop that box!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #403
wacko2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
wacko2 is making a name for him/her selfwacko2 is making a name for him/her selfwacko2 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
man ur s13 look nice once u drop in the ls3 in ur car
wacko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #404
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I really wish I would have organized my bolts when I tore my s13 down. I have regretted it ever since I decided to go all out on the thing. (I originally tore into it for a basic sr swap...then well...i went overboard)
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #405
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Ok, I'm really thinking about this AiM Sports MXL Strada as Jordan had mentioned. Since my only complaint is that it's ugly, but with so many upsides compared to the Stack, I'm thinking about going with the Strada and making it look better.

This will be retrofitted into my cluster as follows: My thought is first get rid of the lower section of the unit. There appears to be a perfect overhang there that I can hide the lower section below the bottom of the cluster surround. So I would simply mount the unit so that straight edge is touching the bottom of the cluster surround. The lower section would be "dropped" down out of sight. I would then relocate those buttons in that section to somewhere else. The RPM waring lights at the top are perfectly fine and obviously very useful. But the programmable alert lights on either side are just plain fugly. So I would at the very least disassemble the unit so I can repaint the housing and not have the text "AL 1 - AL 6" on there. Maybe even remove the indicators and fill them in smooth before I paint it. I could then always relocate the warning indicators to somewhere else or even use my own LED's in whatever color I choose.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #406
Conte6

Conte6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks great, really admire your attention to detail. All the best with your build!
Conte6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #407
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Toby, you're ducking crazy. And I say that in the most positive way possible.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #408
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
you gonna keep the 'danger to manifold' alarm on there?
bc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #409
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
Toby, you're ducking crazy. And I say that in the most positive way possible.
LOL, classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
you gonna keep the 'danger to manifold' alarm on there?
No, I shouldn't need it since I'll be running a Motec exhaust system.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #410
HouseElf
Zilvia Member

HouseElf is an unknown quantity at this point
make sure to use locktite when you put in your floor panels, wouldnt want those falling out while drag racing.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #411
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Laps= Trips to Menard's and back for candy/jerky?

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #412
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseElf View Post
make sure to use locktite when you put in your floor panels, wouldnt want those falling out while drag racing.
Loctite is for those that like to cut corners. I'll be using reverse thread wing nuts on the floor pans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Laps= Trips to Menard's and back for candy/jerky?
I hope that lap counter goes into the triple digits.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #413
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
lol at all posts since. Guess I have nothing funny to add. Off to be an asshole in other peoples threads.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #414
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
kouki-gymkhana is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you considered the Defi Super Sports Cluster? It won't work with a CAN setup AFAIK but it would enable you to keep all of your Defi sensors and give you the clean look you desire. Just my $0.02...

The AIM dash is really busy but I know you'll make it work!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #415
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
^ The Defi cluster is pretty Boss for sure, but he would probably have a hard time selling all of his gauges without the sensors... just a thought.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #416
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
lol at all posts since. Guess I have nothing funny to add. Off to be an asshole in other peoples threads.
LOL, even when you don't have something funny and witty to say.... you have something witty to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki-gymkhana View Post
Have you considered the Defi Super Sports Cluster? It won't work with a CAN setup AFAIK but it would enable you to keep all of your Defi sensors and give you the clean look you desire. Just my $0.02...

The AIM dash is really busy but I know you'll make it work!
Gave it a very slight thought, even on my old Sti 7 years ago, but it just wouldn't fit the bill. Let alone that it's WAY overpriced for what it does.

Edit: And what Damon said^^^

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #417
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
im getting tired of you mid-america people using up the precious zilvia bandwidth. whatever happened to the important threads we used to have, like when phlip and i started on a thread about booty.. that was good stuff.

now i have to look at your white car which was perfectly fine before, go through this crazy transformation process. and youre organizing parts that any 240 owner should know where they go. quit pussy footing and get this show on the road. :-)

my west coast brothers, you guys are putting us to shame here. i havent seen ONE quality build posted from someone here in socal in a loooooooong time. maybe i need to signup over at nico................no, nevermind

just fuckin around toby, keep up the good work.

just put your SR back in. install a tomei 2.2 and yell PSYCHE when you lied about the LS swap "i was juss foolin yawls"
gaddamn LS swap.. so " AMERICAN " ... ide rather buy a corvette than go through all this headache.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #418
slim
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
slim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
amazing work man! wish i had the money for the cluster, that thing is so sick! u selling the old bumper? keep the pics coming!
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #419
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How did you go about preping the wheels well for the 3m undercoating? Would using some strong paint stripper (like that airplane stuff) and then painting it with the 3m stuff be ok?

I think the stripper will take it down to bare metal though.
CaptainVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #420
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Your organization method for bolts looks better than what I did. Ziploc bags work ok but they're a pain in the ass to deal with when you have a bunch of them.

Where did you get your carpet from? Mine is pretty much awful.