Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #3661
RPSil13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
RPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownRPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownRPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
from a structural point of view, how do the clevis mounts compare to having it fully welded in, in case of a crash/roll over would that joint be the weakest link>?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #3662
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Some great work going on in this thread guys! I haven't fabbed anything in quite some time now, but a buddy and I finished making my hydraulic pipe bender frame today!

Mopar (the dog) was a great helper!

I'm planning to be prolific with this thing, so I'll throw my progress up in this thread.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #3663
IchiShi

Trader Rating: (1)
IchiShi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone able to make up a couple of L brackets for the front sway bars?

As such:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/smsimg/346...klc009-346.jpg

...and such;
http://www.driftopia.com/images/fron...nkageAssem.jpg
IchiShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #3664
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
i may... pm'd you
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #3665
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSil13 View Post
from a structural point of view, how do the clevis mounts compare to having it fully welded in, in case of a crash/roll over would that joint be the weakest link>?
Clevis's are very safe, they put the bolt that holds them together in double-shear (it'd have to shear off twice for the clevis to move), which basically makes it stronger than any other part of the car that's not tube.

Shear strength of even a 1/4" bolt is more than your car weighs, so you can do the math if you'd like, but it's safe to say that a 5/16" or 1/2" bolt through a correctly-used clevis is plenty strong.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #3666
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Here is a badass MR2 that I am building.

We made custom end tanks for this Precision liquid to air, then machined brackets, made 4" intake, custom piping with wiggins clamps, and a coolant tank that acts as a rad surge tank, intercooler bleed tank, and reservoir. Then we powder coated it all 10% gloss black.

Looks rad.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #3667
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Clevis's are very safe, they put the bolt that holds them together in double-shear (it'd have to shear off twice for the clevis to move), which basically makes it stronger than any other part of the car that's not tube.

Shear strength of even a 1/4" bolt is more than your car weighs, so you can do the math if you'd like, but it's safe to say that a 5/16" or 1/2" bolt through a correctly-used clevis is plenty strong.
There's more to it but essentially shear stress = VQ/It

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #3668
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Here is another system I make for the GTR.

local shop just got one of these in for a customer, im pretty sure it was BR racing. i'll have to go check it out again. didnt really get a good look.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #3669
budweisers14

Trader Rating: (0)
budweisers14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
some fab work that I do

budweisers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #3670
mr.li

mr.li is a well-known jackass
keepin it going from my other thread.
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/382249-niss...ver-years.html
this is for greddy intake manifold. double side tape it on. just finished it too. enjoy. Wen.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #3671
mktachibana
Leaky Injector

mktachibana is an unknown quantity at this point
hey for all you guys that made exhausts, did you guys get your piping local or online? Thanks.
mktachibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #3672
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
you can go either way. some is cheaper to get online other is cheaper to get at metal supply, even autozone has it in both stainless and aluminized and usually you get it in 10ft sections from them. carquest, napa, etc can get it too.
sr20sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #3673
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktachibana View Post
hey for all you guys that made exhausts, did you guys get your piping local or online? Thanks.
I order the bends and get the straight sections locally. If you're in a real hurry, muffler shops will sell you some of theirs for a small markup.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #3674
spent27
Leaky Injector

spent27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Here is a badass MR2 that I am building.

We made custom end tanks for this Precision liquid to air, then machined brackets, made 4" intake, custom piping with wiggins clamps, and a coolant tank that acts as a rad surge tank, intercooler bleed tank, and reservoir. Then we powder coated it all 10% gloss black.

Looks rad.

Looks nice ! On liquid/air setups, do you have to use a seperate heat exchanger or could you integrate it into the engine cooling system?
spent27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #3675
91 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
91 240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktachibana View Post
i've used Columbia River Mandrel Bending for all my tubing, transitions, flanges, flex tubing, bung, etc. Good people to deal with and fast shipping.
Tube Bending & Fabrication - Columbia River Mandrel Bending
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #3676
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 240 View Post
i've used Columbia River Mandrel Bending for all my tubing, transitions, flanges, flex tubing, bung, etc. Good people to deal with and fast shipping.
Tube Bending & Fabrication - Columbia River Mandrel Bending
same here. i've dealt with them a couple times and have never been disappointed.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #3677
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

You'll want to use a different heat exchanger because the target temps are so different ~ with the intake temp, you almost always want it as low as possible, whereas the radiator/coolant temps should stay about 180-190*.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #3678
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Luke where do you buy your cleaviss?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #3679
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
The customer actually provided those ones.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #3680
sxe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
sxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond reputesxe has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerbike View Post
madd custom fab
Old 05-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #3681
blu808
Post Whore!

Sorry thought you meant wiggins.The clevis tube things are made by Pro Worx

the tabs we have laser cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood View Post
Luke where do you buy your cleaviss?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #3682
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
S14 center vent trim:

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #3683
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
DAMN toby your work is truely amazing when it comes to interior!
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #3684
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'd been waiting to see finished shots of that project. Looks fantastic.

I'll be happy if mine looks half as good when I'm done.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #3685
Dcrprez
Leaky Injector

Dcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really niceDcrprez is just really nice
Mass produce broadfield!!! Couple different options on in for setup and sell them things like hotcakes!!!!
Dcrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #3686
lancerevil

lancerevil is an unknown quantity at this point
So clean!!!!!
lancerevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #3687
donandal
Leaky Injector

donandal is an unknown quantity at this point
fabricated a subie

I am posting this build thread for anyone interested in seeing a different kind of Subaru
I started this car about five years ago, and have been driving it for a couple of years.
I wanted to build a car that had an old style roadster look and feel with modern drivetrain and
modern accessories. It has a Subaru 2.5 boxer engine,five speed manual, and all wheel drive.
It has cruise control, antiskid ( deselectable ),air conditioning/heat, tilt steering etc. It is emissions
eguipped and street legal. It is registered in New York state and has about 1500 miles since completion.
The chassis is steel tubing and the body is made from .060" thick aluminum. I " designed " and built
the car from scratch, using the engine, drivetrain, suspension and steering from a Subaru legacy. The
design was mostly trying to make a strong and safe chassis, and then covering it with an attractive
body. Most of the body was mocked up first in thin cardboard, then hand formed using a hammer and
bean bag, and then an english wheel. I hope you like it

I'll post pics and descriptions below

the shop... sort of a necessity in western New York in the winter

the chassis... not a lot of interesting pics prior to this

the radiator is in back... no room up front..coolant runs under floor in stainless tubing

some early ideas in cardboard

more cardboard... the car has coilovers on all 4 corners

making a cardboard mess....the seats are subaru

the first piece of the body...hammered over a wooden buck

the hood taking shape.... no plans.. just build it as I go

some of the body as well

me with a future front inner fender... trying to match the lines of the doors

my wife with a future rear upper quarter panel

I smoothed with the english wheel... it became the triangle portion in this picture

a shot of the body coming together

the rear deck lid is perforated aluminum in the center section for ventilation

what I hope the fenders and quarter panel will look like

the front is coming along nicely.... need to cover those strut towers

making a rear fender...

fitting it to the car

trimmed and fit... not bad!

making the windshield... it is made from .060 aluminum also, and has a solid bar running
up inside both sides for strength

filling in the corners for looks

just needs a little style in the center of the hood, and some safety glass
the mirror will go on the side of the windshield, it's from a motorcycle

the front fender.. the small turn signal is from a motorcycle too..I managed to
hide those ugly strut towers under the headlite buckets

the dash is made from aluminum as well, but will be padded and upholstered

the roll bars were made from prebent thick wall stainless tubing, and welded together

I think it needs a scoop

this shape looks good

I added a rounded edge

and added a flange so I could rivet it to the hood.. welding would really bow it

riveting

the hood tilts forward

I made this from stainless and polished it

it will go in here... I made one to go in the front grill also

I want a top for bad weather

so I started this tube frame

It should look something like this

this is as far as I got before my son got me going on his 240SX project
that is the 350Z donor car in the background..I should be back on this project this summer

I'm interested in ideas for a paint scheme
Thanks for checking it out
donandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #3688
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
kinda looks like snoopie but it woulda fooled me had someone told me it was a classic exotic

looks awesome
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #3689
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
that is the most incredible fabrication ive seen on this thread.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #3690
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I want to learn sheet metal fab so bad. I spent like 4 hours one night watching videos on youtube. So cool.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote