Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #3391
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My precision 2871r has been nothing but awesome too.

Its forsale too if anyone is interested.

*Here*
Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #3392
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
My precision 2871r has been nothing but awesome too.

Its forsale too if anyone is interested.

*Here*
Why would you pay $1100 for that turbo?

For all the money you dumped into that setup you could have gone top mount with a nice t3 flanged turbo..
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3393
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Are the gt2860rs(disco potato), gt2871r, and gtx28xx CHRA's all the same specs except for the compressor wheel? All are ball Bearing. All should have the same turbine wheel. Any differences?

The reason I am asking is because i am think about having pure turbo put a 2867 billet wheel onto my gt2860rs. My CHRA is in great condition and if its just a matter of a new wheel, machining my housing and balancing for $450. that seems like a better route than 1200 for a new turbo.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #3394
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
Are the gt2860rs(disco potato), gt2871r, and gtx28xx CHRA's all the same specs except for the compressor wheel? All are ball Bearing. All should have the same turbine wheel. Any differences?

The reason I am asking is because i am think about having pure turbo put a 2867 billet wheel onto my gt2860rs. My CHRA is in great condition and if its just a matter of a new wheel, machining my housing and balancing for $450. that seems like a better route than 1200 for a new turbo.
Turbine wheels are the same. Compressor wheels sizes are different. The GTX wheel is a different design. $450 seems like a deal when the MSRP on the wheel is $300.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3395
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Why would you pay $1100 for that turbo?

For all the money you dumped into that setup you could have gone top mount with a nice t3 flanged turbo..
Waited patiently for dealz that never popped up, and had the money burning a hole in my pocket, so bought brand new. :/

Got very little drive time on this set up, so its just an all around depressing situation...haha

top-mount/twinscoll would have been the dream setup,... but most the good manifolds are barely under a grand themselves
Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #3396
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Mile High Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just want to say that this thread is awesome
lots of good info in here.

just finished installing a basic snow performance meth kit on my s13 sr20. everything went smoothly and she runs great. holy crap what a difference the meth is.

i know this is the gt2871r thread but my turbo isn't too far off (2860rs). am actually thinking of sending my turbo in to pure and having them do the billet wheel upgrade and a rebuild. Anybody know how much an extra 2lb/min would be in terms of horsepower? guessing not very much but all the little things add up (imo). and after reading through this thread, i think some jim wolf s3hl cams are in order. i absolutely love the fast spool of the 28rs but would like some beefy top end power too. rev limit will stay at 7200 for drifting as i know these things can swing 8k all day.

blah blah blah haha

my s13 is used for drift/drag/daily and canyon runner.
current set up

S13 coupe
s13 redtop
gt2860rs
AEM EMS
map conversion
stock block
stock head
tomei rocker arm stoppers
tomei exhaust manifold
3" turbo back.
greddy fmic kit
snow performance basic meth kit with 2.5gallon reservoir
and some suspension stuff

Mile High Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #3397
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
What are your AITs looking like with the meth now???
Old 08-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #3398
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

haven't done any logs. my cable is mia right now might have to buy another one. but drove it like 300 miles today in the middle of the day and she was pulling hard all day. never felt the "heat soak" kick in which was nice.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #3399
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
What size nozzle are you running? And are you running pure meth or a meth water mix?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #3400
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Silvia View Post
haven't done any logs. my cable is mia right now might have to buy another one. but drove it like 300 miles today in the middle of the day and she was pulling hard all day. never felt the "heat soak" kick in which was nice.
Wouldn't need a log if you had the AEM SERIAL Datastream gauge to read you AITs in real time. Hooks right up to the EMS and reads every parameter of the engine that the ECU reads and more.

Fuel pressure
AFR
AITs
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Tranny temp
Boost
Battery voltage
EGT
Speed
Coolant temp
And more.

If there's a sensor for it, it will read it. Everyone with an AEM EMS Should have one or two. You can program fail safes into each parameter also.

I swear I'm not an AEM salesman lol
Old 08-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #3401
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
What size nozzle are you running? And are you running pure meth or a meth water mix?
running the number "5" nozzle from snow. guy told me it was good for 400hp. also have the number 6 which he said was good for 600? i think I'm feeling some quenching but when the boost starts hitting hard it just takes off. ill tighten up the set screw to see if it will go any higher. meth starts spraying around 9-10psi, might need a difference pressure switch. keep in mind this is super basic/super simple kit i installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Wouldn't need a log if you had the AEM SERIAL Datastream gauge to read you AITs in real time. Hooks right up to the EMS and reads every parameter of the engine that the ECU reads and more.

Fuel pressure
AFR
AITs
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Tranny temp
Boost
Battery voltage
EGT
Speed
Coolant temp
And more.

If there's a sensor for it, it will read it. Everyone with an AEM EMS Should have one or two. You can program fail safes into each parameter also.

im glad you brought this up my buddy was just telling me about this and i wwas like noo wayyy bro and we couldn't find it on the net since he didn't know the name. but sounds pretty badass to me, ill do some reading on it and see how i feel about it...kinda picky about certain displays and stuff. id love to get my hands on the new greddy profec oLED.

edit:
can you cycle through all parameters on one gauge?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #3402
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

so first thing this morning i warmed up the sr took her out for a cruise and to dial in the boost/meth a little bit. drove maybe 5 miles, most of which was at wot. stopped at the store for some things, felt around on the engine to see if any cooling had been taking place and sure as shit, i slap my hand on the back runner of the intake mani and its complete icy cool to the touch. i was pretty stoked at that point. well drove it home and decided to let it heat soak for a while. she sat for a few hours while i ate breakfast and chilled out. went back out and intake manifold was hotter than a mofo. well took it back out anyway to see if the meth would kinda relieve some of the heat soak if i ripped on it for a while. well it did, got back home and the back runner was back to being cool to the touch. I'm blown away by the ability of a simple water meth kit.

ill be doing a full write up and diy guide for anyone that wants to install their own kit. i searched around and didn't find much info on meth'd srs until i found this thread. i think it could help a lot of the younger crowd keep their motors together. many people on here(not saying anyone in this thread) running lack luster tunes on a high performance motor. methanol should help "buffer" a shitty tune pretty well. may not be the best route to take when it comes to tuning but can't deny those cold ait's and more fuel for about $200 bucks.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #3403
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
running the number "5" nozzle from snow. guy told me it was good for 400hp. also have the number 6 which he said was good for 600? i think I'm feeling some quenching but when the boost starts hitting hard it just takes off. ill tighten up the set screw to see if it will go any higher. meth starts spraying around 9-10psi, might need a difference pressure switch. keep in mind this is super basic/super simple kit i installed.

im glad you brought this up my buddy was just telling me about this and i wwas like noo wayyy bro and we couldn't find it on the net since he didn't know the name. but sounds pretty badass to me, ill do some reading on it and see how i feel about it...kinda picky about certain displays and stuff. id love to get my hands on the new greddy profec oLED.

edit:

Yes you can cycle through them all. Pick whichever you want to watch.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #3404
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

edit:

Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #3405
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

Quote:
cool sounds good. i have a couple aem eugo gauges i could sell. but i was just thinking of having one installed since i already have two brand new widebands. a gauge for ait's would be nice as i can make sure the meth is doing its job.

where is the air intake temp sensor located on the s13 redtop?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #3406
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

That sensor on your cold pipe, should be your AIT sensor. That's where mine is and that's the same connector for it.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #3407
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

ah shit maybe i should have mounted the nozzle before that sensor? damn i feel like i fucked up now. it would be making way more power if the ecu actually was reading the colder air temps
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #3408
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
ah shit maybe i should have mounted the nozzle before that sensor? damn i feel like i fucked up now. it would be making way more power if the ecu actually was reading the colder air temps
Yea you certainly want the AIT sensor after the nozzle for sure.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #3409
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
finally got all my stuff back together. it's basically a semi-mimicry of Cody's infamous setup.

built SR (rods, pistons, HG, light head porting)
2871r (.64)
BC springs/retainers
JWT S3HL cams
Nismo 740cc's
N62
Freddy intake mani
stock TB
GKTech eccentric S14 throttle pulley
stock exhaust mani
RS Enthalpy tune

it cranked right up on the first try. i'll hopefully be able to get it on a dyno sooner or later.

oh btw, i had a warm start issue where it would always try to cold start, no matter the actual coolant temps. seemed like an obvious CTS problem. replaced the CTS, same issue. traced back through the harness as best i could, nothing looked amiss, same issue still. ended up being the leads in the harness's CTS plug not getting enough contact on the CTS prongs to give the ECU a proper signal. a bit of bending with a tiny flathead, and it works fine now. just FYI in case anyone else runs into this issue. Occam's Razor.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #3410
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
To be honest it could use a re-weld anyways haha. Put it half way between the nozzle and the TB. Don't put it in the manifold.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #3411
SR20HAYES

SR20HAYES is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a quick question. When should i be expecting to see full boos with gt2871r .64a/r with the 3" inlet. Im hitting 17psi at about 4k maybe even a little higher. I have stock motor incliding stock HG. 740cc tomei inj., z32 MAF, and an rs enthalpy tune. Will cams help me see full boost much sooner? Pulls hard but was hoping for more response.
SR20HAYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #3412
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Fuel pressure
AFR
AITs
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Tranny temp
Boost
Battery voltage
EGT
Speed
Coolant temp
And more.

You need a laptop for this right? Or does it work with a tablet or device?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #3413
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Just did a Google search. Face palm

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3414
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20HAYES View Post
I have a quick question. When should i be expecting to see full boos with gt2871r .64a/r with the 3" inlet. Im hitting 17psi at about 4k maybe even a little higher. I have stock motor incliding stock HG. 740cc tomei inj., z32 MAF, and an rs enthalpy tune. Will cams help me see full boost much sooner? Pulls hard but was hoping for more response.
You should do some testing, just saying you hit full boost at 4k sounds like a horrible setup. I will say this the gt2871r should hit full boost in 1.3krpm so if you were cruising in 4th gear at 3000 rpm sure you'll hit full boost by 4000rpm. I myself street and dyno use 2000rpm and full boost 17, 20, and 23psi happens around 3400rpm also I use a digital gauge the stock tach is off by 200/300rpm usually. Debate!!!

Sent from a Highly Tuned SIII using Tapatalk HD

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #3415
SR20HAYES

Hmm....I thought something was off. Whats horrible about my setup, cause its stock motor?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #3416
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
That's terrible. My GTX3076 .82 sees 20psi at 41-4200 on a basic street tune.

You should be getting 17psi by 3500 easily.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #3417
SR20HAYES

Ok thanks. I just finished with the upgrade. Ill do some tests and see if im getting a boost leak or something. It hits 10psi quick but seems to lag from 10-17psi.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #3418
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
I believe full boost is around 4k
Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #3419
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Ok thanks. I just finished with the upgrade. Ill do some tests and see if im getting a boost leak or something. It hits 10psi quick but seems to lag from 10-17psi.
It could easily be the boost controller you are using, and or a crappy gate as well. There are many more variables to also consider, such as timing, if you have cams, how aggressive the RSE ECU is with timing down low, your final drive/gear you're in etc etc.

Also consider 'time into boost' as well...as in a car that spools up before XXXX rpm versus a car that spools up a second faster to XXXX rpm. I've been in cars that people deem responsive as it spools in rpm quick, but doesn't run into power that well...and that's as un-fun as a bigger turbo.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #3420
SR20HAYES

Yea I'm using a internal gate. Plan to set up an external eventually. Im also using a hallman manual boost controller. I'm sure an EBC would help. Cams are stock as well and this is my first tune from RSE tune.

The car pulls really hard, no complaints there. I just read a lot of people were hitting full boost sooner which is why I posted to get some insight as to what I should upgrade to see full boost a little sooner and if 4k was normal on a completely stock internal motor. Thank you for your reply cody. Oh and I see you have in you signature something about external gated manifolds. Is that a stocky with an external?