Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #601
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
nextproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I plan on installing a brand new toyota starter when i do my swap, so its "POSSIBLE" if you heavily modify the adapter plate? i dont really see the plate itself as a load-bearing item, so as long as the rest of the everything is tight and flush, starter bolt holes will most likely get cut into it when i get mine.

Is XAT Racing still operating? I sent them an email a month ago and never heard back and their FB page is OOOOOOOOLD.

Thats the company i was going to purchase mounts/adapter plate from. Their website copyright expired in 2013?

I'll call them monday. Things are finally going to start rolling on the SW20 i have to get rid of first. By the looks of the throttle body on the VVTi engine, it seems to have some sort of traction control/throttle override on the drivers side of the TB. I need to get ahold of some people that have swapped these engines. Everyone here seems to be going for the cheaper/more plentiful non-vvti engines.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #602
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
1UZFE into S-Chassis

I'm sure if you modify your adapter plate so your starter bolts can be removed without removing the transmission it'll be fine. Considering your transmission bolts will still be through the adapter plate.

I think someone on here posted that XAT was "copying" Brett Collins's products. Not 100% sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #603
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Um. Which car was the your vvti 1uz out of? You
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #604
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just wanted to say, TurtleMeth did an amazing job on my engine harness. Made the harness clean and clutter free, every plug reached perfectly, even had it wired and labeled for the Dakota Digital I'm getting.

A+++ for him, super helpful guy!

This is a pic of his harness installed. I also pulled the BVSV and put a long temp probe there.

I also wanted to share how I did the heater hoses in back.

This is what I purchased. Right hose is stock from 1UZ.

Trimmed this part to just above lower lip (used line cutter, hack saw just for pointing)

Trimmed hoses to fit, just needs connectors now

Sorry about the dirt and dust. Car has been sitting for far too long...
Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #605
nextproject
Zilvia Member

I was going to pull the 1uz vvti from a 98-00 gs400. That engine looks great in there!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:21 AM   #606
tiggertsi
Zilvia Member

tiggertsi is an unknown quantity at this point
so has anyone installed an obdii 1uz? i've read through the thread and it seems a few say it can be done, but has anyone done it? with functioning obdii port?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #607
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Drifting Kalamari: I like the color choice on your upper intake and valve covers. And good idea with the heater hoses. My 1uz sits just as far back as yours.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #608
nextproject
Zilvia Member

The biggest hurdle is for the engine im chasing after. The VVTi 1UZ from the 98-00 LS/GS/SC400's. The main issue being the immobilizer. It is defeatable through a company in australia (apparently they love the 1uz there) but the price tag is pretty steep (600?). Ive heard there are companies stateside but the demand for the engine isnt very high. Most people are more inclined to swap in the earlier engine. I myself consider this from time to time, as i havent yet puchased mine.

I just want someone to tell me "yes Kevin, the KA trans will hold the near-instant torque of the vvti 1uz just fine, order your motor and dont trouble yourself with the thoughts of broken gear teeth".

What kinda highway MPG's are you guys getting? Keeping the stock trans/rear end ratios will mean at 70 these engines will be turning 3k. I foresee a marked drop in my highway speeds, lol. Other car is ALMOST sold! So i'll be creating my own thread for my swap, i'll amass parts slowly at first, but when they are all here i'll take a week off of work and get to swappin!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #609
imperium

imperium is an unknown quantity at this point
if your looking for a lower diff ratio you could get the 3.9 out of a J30 they only require a bit of work to use

as for the transmission, i went with the ka trans,although not that my car is running yet but im debating if i should have gone with the cd009 instead, since i know a few guys who have popped sr trannys with close to stock SR's this year, i think its partially all how you drive the car and how much stress your putting through it

also another option instead of sending your harness away to autralia is just go stand alone, and then you have more options down the road when you want to do something different, also i dont want to be a jerk but if a 600$ pricetag is too steep you might want to rethink doing an engine swap
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #610
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

I totally agree with Imperium. Why even do a swap if you are going to cheap out; all swaps done correctly costs $$$. Spending $600 to be able to use the vvti engine and get more base hp/tq is a no brainer. And going stand alone is a good option for the vvti.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #611
imperium

thanks for posting those part numbers for the heater core lines, they worked great, although i really wish i had put them on the heater core before the motor went in
Old 10-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #612
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium View Post
thanks for posting those part numbers for the heater core lines, they worked great, although i really wish i had put them on the heater core before the motor went in
No problem, thought that it may help someone out! It definitely is a pain trying to wiggle the hose in with such a cramped space... lol
Old 10-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #613
nextproject
Zilvia Member

I already have a standalone car, im sick of dealing with standalones and people that claim to know how to tune them. the entire reasoning behind doing this particular swap is so that i can just enjoy the power without constantly wanting to upgrade, because really, there arent a whole lot of parts out there for the vvti 1uz. Barring a supercharger kit from australia for 5-6k, or a custom turbo kit, i'll be installing the engine and ENJOYING it. Not constantly messing with it. Im at the point in my life where id much rather be enjoying DRIVING my cars than messing with them to the point where they are no longer streetable, or they require time with a tuner that lives hours and hours away and i have to take off school and work just to have my car "tuned". No, if i were going to consider standalone i'd just do a different swap altogether. I just want the 300bhp and instant v8 tq. I could care less about spending 1500-2000 for another 30-50hp.

I really dont appreciate that you consider im "cheaping out" by not going standalone. Not everyone that does a swap is going to do a standalone, not all of us want track cars, not all of us want super highly modded cars we can tune whenever we want. To each their own, some want standalones, some dont want to bother with it and are totally happy with what they have because maybe some just want to swap the engine in and thats it.

All i was wondering is what the durability of the ka trans seems to be. Personally, i think it may be wise to go ahead and to the CD009 swap. Which is actually cheaper than a R154 swap, but people do still have probs with the cd009, although its most likely due to driver error/abuse.

If you're going to call someone cheap, explain once again why you're going with a early 1uz vs any other swap?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #614
[email protected]
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
sooorad@aol.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't think he meant to call you cheap.
Can we please not turn this thread into a war of words?
sooorad@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #615
imperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Kalamari View Post
No problem, thought that it may help someone out! It definitely is a pain trying to wiggle the hose in with such a cramped space... lol
i had to put the lower one on twice cause i got it on the first time and then realized i couldnt get a hose clamp on, if anyones trying to do it motor in the car and sitting far back what i did was tool a 3/8 extension stuffed it down the hose to straighten it out. lubed the hose up abunch and then pushed and twisted the hose onto the nipple

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
I already have a standalone car, im sick of dealing with standalones and people that claim to know how to tune them. the entire reasoning behind doing this particular swap is so that i can just enjoy the power without constantly wanting to upgrade, because really, there arent a whole lot of parts out there for the vvti 1uz. Barring a supercharger kit from australia for 5-6k, or a custom turbo kit, i'll be installing the engine and ENJOYING it. Not constantly messing with it. Im at the point in my life where id much rather be enjoying DRIVING my cars than messing with them to the point where they are no longer streetable, or they require time with a tuner that lives hours and hours away and i have to take off school and work just to have my car "tuned". No, if i were going to consider standalone i'd just do a different swap altogether. I just want the 300bhp and instant v8 tq. I could care less about spending 1500-2000 for another 30-50hp.

I really dont appreciate that you consider im "cheaping out" by not going standalone. Not everyone that does a swap is going to do a standalone, not all of us want track cars, not all of us want super highly modded cars we can tune whenever we want. To each their own, some want standalones, some dont want to bother with it and are totally happy with what they have because maybe some just want to swap the engine in and thats it.

All i was wondering is what the durability of the ka trans seems to be. Personally, i think it may be wise to go ahead and to the CD009 swap. Which is actually cheaper than a R154 swap, but people do still have probs with the cd009, although its most likely due to driver error/abuse.

If you're going to call someone cheap, explain once again why you're going with a early 1uz vs any other swap?
people go with the early 1uz because they're cheap and easy, the vvti motors remove that from the equation. im by no means saying the vvti ones aren't great motors they just have more hassles to deal with

and personally i went with the early 1uz because i had a 92ls400 as a daily, then my neighbor hit it while it was parked and wrote it off, the motors in excellent condition with low kms and i know the history, not to mention the internals on the early ones are stronger

and to top it off im incredibly cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't think he meant to call you cheap.
Can we please not turn this thread into a war of words?
very much this, i wasn't meaning to offend, i was just trying to point out that its a motor swap with a complicated motor, if your not wanting to spend 600 to get the immobilizer delete then maybe that motor isn't the best option for you
Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #616
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
It's exactly why I am doing this swap. instead of all the work involved with a turbo system on an i4 i can get the same numbers with a v8 that's drop in. I chose the 1uz because it was semi unique, dirt cheap to get parts on, huge used market for them, and they are "easy" to fix and build. also due to the fact they are 6 bolt mains and have the possibility for higher rpms then most v8's out there.

toyota does like to make engines rev. i chose an earlier engine without vvti and will be using a vipec i44 to support the engine tuning. probably wont do much to the engine intermally outside some headwork (okay alot of headwork) and a good exhaust cam. I want to hit a constant and reliable 3oo whp. I cant use much more then that up in the mountains anyways.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #617
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Sorry guys, i just take offense i guess, i will not be going cheap on this, i mean yes cost is ALWAYS an issue, and tbh the cost is what drives the purchase of the engine. I am by no means cheap. I wear boots at work with torn soles bc i just purchased so and so that cost such and such for the car. I guess im cheap on myself, not my car. I will gladly pay the 600 for the immobilizer modification and if i dont have enough time or if i just want to get the swap done asap then i'll send both harnesses to australia with the ecu and have the harness modded in addition to the ecu so its completely plug and play. Thats not cheap. (although it could easily be argued that doing THAT is roughly the cost of an ecu, but i already went through why im not going that route).

All in all im glad as many of us are doing this swap, it seems theres no short supply of these engines, vvti or not. I'll post up when i finally have the engine, i've decided to go with the z33 cd009 as well and lightweight flywheel option. I will also be implementing the SRT intake and daughterboard shortly after its running to pick up the remaining "easy" hp numbers left on the board. It'll be a fun swap!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #618
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Thanks for the shoutout drifting kalamari! Glad everything is going smoothly so far.

Important announcement (LOL!): My cnc'd line of 1uz swap parts is back on track, and i'll have an eta of when the parts will be available very soon. This will include, motor/trans mounts, sway bar spacers, egr block off plates, adapter plate (starter replacement friendly) pilot bearing adapter, throwout bearing spacer, driveshaft, s13 powersteering bracket (will retain stock dohc line) wiring services, and possibly headers, y pipe and flywheel. Pretty much your one stop shop!

Once I have a better idea of when parts will be available, I will open up group buys. Stay tuned!

PS: If you're in the socal area, swaps can be done in house at The P.O.P! shop without the need to collect all the necessary parts.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #619
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Definitely will be contacting you for parts other than the ones i've already purchased! Very excited to see your products!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #620
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Hey, hey, hey! No way did I mean to insult or offend anyone on here, I love you all!
This is definitely a cheaper swap compared to other V8's. I am just saying it always costs more money if you don't plan on going mainstream. vvti would be awesome way to go, especially not wanting to worry about FI'ing it. Just ends up costing more $$ in the long run just to get motor going. And yes, it is hard to find good, reliable tuners.

Even my build is all about not cheaping out, yet still trying to do this on a budget, that is why mine is taking longer than I'd want to finish :P.

I can't wait to see all these cars up and running with 1UZ hearts!!

And TurtleMeth, again thanks for all your help. Glad your parts are coming along well!

Also, I highly recommend the NGK 6403 wires. They are quality! Each wire is even numbered.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #621
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to be coming back to the 1uz camp in my hachi. I just finished my sr swap, but don't feel like dealing with boost, LOL! Plus, i'd like to be able to use all of my new goodies. Going the vvti route as well. Can't wait to get this project started... again...
Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #622
nextproject
Zilvia Member

It'll be nice to parallel the swap with yours. What trans do you plan on using? Once the mr2 is sold and the cash is in hand, i'll be ready to purchase everything necessary.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #623
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
It'll be nice to parallel the swap with yours. What trans do you plan on using? Once the mr2 is sold and the cash is in hand, i'll be ready to purchase everything necessary.
I'm going to be running a z33 transmission and i'm still trying to decide on which standalone i'm going with.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #624
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Omg, I can't wait to see the 1uz in your 86! It's gonna be bad a$$!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #625
Mintyboy
Leaky Injector

Mintyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys. So I am about to acquire a 1998 1uzfe vvti engine. What standalone ecu can I use to bypass the immobilizer? And if I want to keep the stock ecu, who can I send it to, in order to bypass it?
Mintyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #626
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post

Important announcement (LOL!): My cnc'd line of 1uz swap parts is back on track, and i'll have an eta of when the parts will be available very soon. This will include, motor/trans mounts, sway bar spacers, egr block off plates, adapter plate (starter replacement friendly) pilot bearing adapter, throwout bearing spacer, driveshaft, s13 powersteering bracket (will retain stock dohc line) wiring services, and possibly headers, y pipe and flywheel. Pretty much your one stop shop!

Once I have a better idea of when parts will be available, I will open up group buys. Stay tuned!

PS: If you're in the socal area, swaps can be done in house at The P.O.P! shop without the need to collect all the necessary parts.
This is some awesome news!
You should create a website when you have these products available I'll be looking forward to seeing that adapter plate.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #627
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
the headers need to be a swept log design. if you can make them for around 600 bucks and put it into the kit literally this swap would take a weekend. just gotta get a mil-spec harness connector quick disconnect and your choice ecu and let her rip
Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #628
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey everyone! I've been pretty quiet on here, but I just went to my second event this past weekend (Sunny Slide UP), you can look it up on FB or YouTube.

I haven't gone through my footage yet, but I had a blast and my car ran awesome! I had no overheating issues, in fact, I didn't even pop my hood once the whole event for maintenance. Only to show people which V8 I had

Once I get some vids up, I'll link you guys!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #629
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Awesome Miami! Can't wait to see the footy.

I've got a brett collins adapter that i'm not longer in need of if any of you are interested in it. $230 shipped, hit me up!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #630
Tank240sxT

Tank240sxT is an unknown quantity at this point
Some times I think I should have gone ahead and hand this swap done to my 240. Rrrrr! Sometimes you make a decision only to wish you could go back and do it differently. I think this is an awesome swap. You guys keep up the good work.
Tank240sxT is offline   Reply With Quote