Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's easier if the walls buckle... Which, unless you've removed some rubber, probably won't happen. I was able to knock it out using the method I described, but you probably couldn't have used the sleeve over again... I skipped the cutting cuz it took too much time, then again, my subframe was bare because I did all the bushings, and it was easier to finagle empty obviously... Sorry you're not having the same luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
lol at the amount of fail in this thread. anyone ever heard of a hydraulic press? im willing to bet it makes removing bushings from tight places extremely easy.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

presses are expensive. I used one on one of my bushing's center pieces, and it was only a small one. The Subframe is large and unwieldy, I can sympathize with someone poor who can't be hauling around 100+ lbs of steel (he still has his diff, ect. in).

A press does wonders, if you use it right. After I knocked my sleeves out, I brought it to a local shop to press my new ones in. Because my press was too small and I didn't have the "proper" (read: makeshift) tool to press them in myself. Plus I was burnt out on the whole thing by then... Laziness prevailed.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
jperez311
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jperez311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I finally did it. Finally. I got the rings out and already installed the aluminum DIF solid bushing in and installed my subframe. All I have to say about the ride is .... Damn! My car is so much better
jperez311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

Congrats Man
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #36
slydin240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
slydin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I really need to get mine swapped out with new aluminum ones. My subframe has to much play in it. :/

Last edited by slydin240sx; 03-01-2012 at 09:35 AM..
slydin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry to thread jack, but the ES poly sub-frame bushings only require to remove the inner sleeve, while the dif aluminum bushings require to remove both inner and outer sleeves?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #38
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
lol at the amount of fail in this thread. anyone ever heard of a hydraulic press? im willing to bet it makes removing bushings from tight places extremely easy.
so you're just speculating or do you actually have experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackS14 View Post
presses are expensive. I used one on one of my bushing's center pieces, and it was only a small one. The Subframe is large and unwieldy, I can sympathize with someone poor who can't be hauling around 100+ lbs of steel (he still has his diff, ect. in).

A press does wonders, if you use it right. After I knocked my sleeves out, I brought it to a local shop to press my new ones in. Because my press was too small and I didn't have the "proper" (read: makeshift) tool to press them in myself. Plus I was burnt out on the whole thing by then... Laziness prevailed.
I've done this a couple of times
presses aren't the best way to do this, too awkward and a PITA
there's a specific tool made for bushings (look in the FSM) that makes the job cake, THAT is the best way to do it.

I did mine (SPL solids) a few years ago by myself over a weekend
left the bushings in the freezer overnight and used a caliper pad expander with a long threaded rod and washers to pull the bushings with an impact gun.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
yah i have a press; took all of 2 minutes to press out the bushing and put in the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
so you're just speculating or do you actually have experience?

I've done this a couple of times
presses aren't the best way to do this, too awkward and a PITA
there's a specific tool made for bushings (look in the FSM) that makes the job cake, THAT is the best way to do it.

I did mine (SPL solids) a few years ago by myself over a weekend
left the bushings in the freezer overnight and used a caliper pad expander with a long threaded rod and washers to pull the bushings with an impact gun.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
jperez311
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jperez311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
Sorry to thread jack, but the ES poly sub-frame bushings only require to remove the inner sleeve, while the dif aluminum bushings require to remove both inner and outer sleeves?
Yea your correct. The s14 has only one sleeve on the rear bushing, then the front bushing has plastic/small metal ring/ big metal ring/ outer sleeve. It was confusing. It seemed like the s14 should have had metal collars already in the bushing from stock. Those things had toooo much gap.
jperez311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #41
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

I noticed that too... It was a bit odd because Energy Suspension really didn't say that in their S14 Specific Kit/Instructions.