Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #511
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Sounds good. Can't wait to see the modded versions, as it means it'll be able to work on my car Front roll center adjustment through hubs is almost non existent for my car. But hopefully some modded LCAs along with the remodels DW rear spindles would do wonders for my car. I wonder how different roll center adjustment is between your guys' MacPhearson strut design, and my multi-link rear.
Wait, you mean our MacPherson strut suspension and your front multi-link? You essentially have a double wishbone front setup, therefore your front roll center should drop a little slower than our MacPherson strut front.

You really need to figure out where your roll centers and front and rear centers of gravity are to modify your roll center/roll axis properly.

I'd imagine without some sort of drop-knuckle front, you'll need to modify your upper control arm pivot points if you intend on using the driftworks knuckles in the rear. Just a guess though.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #512
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the ideal roll couple zero?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #513
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
No sir, you want your roll center under your center of gravity. Your car will handle weird if your roll center is even with or above your center of gravity.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #514
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I dont know if these have been mentioned at all.

I am pretty against megan products but they sell these.

Megan Racing MR-6465 Rear Roll Center Adjuster Nissan 240SX S13 89-94

for the front and the rear.

i really like the DW spindles but right now they are a little out of my budget...

would these be effective?
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #515
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
^ it was discussed on nissan road racing, but I believe the conclusion is no. The improvement is only limited to being visual, because the pivot point in the roll center adjuster is moved upward, yet the mount where the spindle meets taper does not change.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #516
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Rad, thank you. lol

Guess i'm going to save up for DW shit.

hopefully something a little cheaper, or maybe made over here will come out.
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #517
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Before you do, it was noted by DEF that the rear multilink design doesn't require much RC adjustment due to the RC vs CG distance during cornering to be much less radical compared to the front macpherson strut design. So you could probably put the money elsewhere for better results (take a look at nissan road racing forum and read up on threads concerning roll center adjustment for the front).

Although I'm doing it because: 1. I'm curious - You'll never know till you try it, 2. I can afford it for now, and 3. If it does work to my benefit I can be that much more faster on the track. So for me it was a gamble worth taking. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #518
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
mmdb,

Have you considered modeling the 240sx's suspension? If you have the time and money... You'd need a good set of corner scales to determine you actual front and rear CG, and then some decent software. But you might find it more helpful then adding random parts.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #519
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yeah, from my basic calculations, the DW knuckles put the roll centers at about ideal locations. You have to take into account the slope of the Roll axis versus the mass axis, as this determines some of your basic handling characteristics.

So it really all depends on how much you're lowering, but the rear roll center is not raised as much as you would think when you take into account the instant centers and where the CG is in the back.

Take a look at 95KA's rear lower arm;

With something like that angle, the roll center is way down in the ground. It needs the kind of adjustment the DW knuckles provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
mmdb,

Have you considered modeling the 240sx's suspension? If you have the time and money... You'd need a good set of corner scales to determine you actual front and rear CG, and then some decent software. But you might find it more helpful then adding random parts.

This would be awesome.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #520
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
mmdb,

Yeah that's a really, really good way to approach the problem. I would have... but in all honesty I'm just... sorta lazy... so... I'm basing my judgement to use the DW rear spindles on the most important sensor. It's what BMW M-engineers refer to as the "po-po meter" (my butt).

Last edited by mmdb; 03-03-2010 at 11:17 AM..
mmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #521
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

fair enough!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #522
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Well, I might just end up modifying some LCAs and maybe that by itself will help? Might have the upper link that connects to the upper control arm up front shortened so that the front upper control arm sits flatter. I figure if the arms don't need much roll center adjusting, it may be as simple as welding in sleeves, pressing in ball joints, and running new longer shanks, similar to what Otto did on some arms he worked on, to make a significant improvement at my height.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #523
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Well, I might just end up modifying some LCAs and maybe that by itself will help? Might have the upper link that connects to the upper control arm up front shortened so that the front upper control arm sits flatter. I figure if the arms don't need much roll center adjusting, it may be as simple as welding in sleeves, pressing in ball joints, and running new longer shanks, similar to what Otto did on some arms he worked on, to make a significant improvement at my height.
That will definitely work. Longer shanks combined with the shorter upright section should do wonders.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #524
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
ok...so they other day...(whilst slightly intoxicated and beyond tired) i was over hearing a conversation dealing with modifying the location of the steering rack to allow less wheel lock... im pretty sure i fucked something up in that sentence...but can someone explain to me...how moving the steering rack, say 1 1/2'' foward would actually help this?

or should i just sit down and shut up with the dunce cap on...lol

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #525
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^ Go back one page, PoorMans180sx already explained why.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #526
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Picks of Skullworks' progress... Ebrake cable looks like a go!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #527
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That looks like a pretty big notch, what are you going to do about giving that corner back its structural integrity?
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #528
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I went ahead and fitted the fronts with the same cups as the rears. I was going to make full tubular FLCA but I just figured this will be a lot faster lol

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #529
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
That looks like a pretty big notch, what are you going to do about giving that corner back its structural integrity?
Skullworks are going to using a half cut tube and weld it around the e-brake cable. I assume if that's not enough further structural pieces will need to be added to reinforce it.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #530
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
I went ahead and fitted the fronts with the same cups as the rears. I was going to make full tubular FLCA but I just figured this will be a lot faster lol
Where do you get the cups? I've been wanting to make something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
Skullworks are going to using a half cut tube and weld it around the e-brake cable. I assume if that's not enough further structural pieces will need to be added to reinforce it.
That works. Just wondering because that was a huge chunk taken out.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #531
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
We have scales here at the shop (we're just too lazy to used them...)
what software are you talking about?
I'd love to get my hands on a copy of Wingeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
Quote:
That's the plan
take them to one of the fabricators we know and reinforce them
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #532
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Where do you get the cups? I've been wanting to make something similar.

There is a parts list I used on the first page.

I actually just ordered some new 3/4 to 5/8ths reducers that will work way better.

I am trying to figure out my tie rod situation up front right now. I am using a custom M16 aurora heim joint tie rod right now but the stud part has me stumped as I cannot find a high misalignment spacer that doesn't reduce it to a M12. I think I might have to drill out my spacers to accept a M14......or bite the bullet and get some 5/8ths heim joints and redo the whole set up and just run the same shank I have in my LCAs - then drill out the spindle again.

I am going to order some spacers and attempt to calculate my instant and roll centers and adjust the LCAs properly....or I might just space the front out more then the rear and hope it feels good, HAHA!

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #533
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Here's a interesting discussion on some software.

Automotive suspension engineering - Software for Suspension Design

They can get CRAZY$$$$, but I know there's a simpler/more affordable one I saw somewhere. It's going to be a while till my LSx swap is done, so I'm not too concerned about it till then. But it is interesting.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #534
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
95KAturbo - dude, you should have told me like, last week, before I ordered the raw materials.

I am making a turnbuckle for M14x1.5 to 5/8-18 to use on Tein S-chassis tie rods, using 5/8" bolts for the tie rod ends.

I'm using the 2 piece QA1 rod ends that allows for 64 degrees of misalignment too, so that should be plenty.

Only thing is, I'm still on stock knuckles, so I will be making the turnbuckle as short as possible so that I won't have an issue of having massive toe in due to the overall length of the tie rods + tie rod ends being too long.

I'm going to have a machine shop do this for me, so if you're interested, let me know, I already know where to get everything and will have the plans drawn out with the machine shop, so it's just a matter of if you want this done, I can get it done for you in no time for not a whole lot of dough either.

PM me for more details if you are interested.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #535
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
^ Go back one page, PoorMans180sx already explained why.

why thank you sir...

Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #536
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Why are you guys not using SPL tie rod ends? You making them cheaper or something?

Just thought I'd share this speedhunters article on the Garage Ito R34. Coolest suspension design that I have seen pictures of:

CAR FEATURE>> GARAGE ITO WITH PROSTOCK GT-R - Speedhunters

Old 03-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #537
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

i think im just gonna go home tonight and read this thead begining to fucking end...

Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #538
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
i think im just gonna go home tonight and read this thead begining to fucking end...
I've done it.. It sucked, lol
Now I have to do it again because I retained zero information from my first reading...
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #539
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Just thought I'd share this speedhunters article on the Garage Ito R34. Coolest suspension design that I have seen pictures of:

CAR FEATURE>> GARAGE ITO WITH PROSTOCK GT-R - Speedhunters

Super baller, custom work from well known companies = $$$$$$$$$$$$

We were given an early Porsche tiptronic transmission and told to
take it apart and replace whatever we could with titanium
about 15 parts and a barrel of money later we were able to shave about 11lbs off
tranny was disposed of

I can't imagine ever having that much money
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #540
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240

Any opinions on this? I've only seen the washer type spacers like what SPL sells. Apparently you only use 1 of these on the passenger side.

Do you guys that use modded knuckles use steering spacers as well?
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote