Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
s13 car brakes by itself..help.

Ive searched but some have only similar problems. When i drive about five minutes the brakes start to heat up and the car dosent want to roll in neutral. And the car has a hard time to take of from a light. After five minutes of driving i can smell brakes burning and my brake pedal begins to get stiffer and stiffer to the point wheres theres almost no play on the pedal at all. one time i got out of the car and the rims were too hot to touch...the car has new pads and rotors..please help i want to roll to the bash at the end of the month too....
Slammed Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Alpha Residence

Trader Rating: (1)
Alpha Residence is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddahboi View Post
Ive searched but some have only similar problems. When i drive about five minutes the brakes start to heat up and the car dosent want to roll in neutral. And the car has a hard time to take of from a light. After five minutes of driving i can smell brakes burning and my brake pedal begins to get stiffer and stiffer to the point wheres theres almost no play on the pedal at all. one time i got out of the car and the rims were too hot to touch...the car has new pads and rotors..please help i want to roll to the bash at the end of the month too....
I've had this problem in the past, It came to the point where I had replaced everything and nothing worked.

Proportioning valve in MBC could be going bye bye, from my knowledge it's usually the culprit. Have you replaced anything brake related lately? For starters you can try adjusting the actuator rod on the brake booster or a temp fix I used was to put a couple washers between the MBC and the booster.
Alpha Residence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Residence View Post
I've had this problem in the past, It came to the point where I had replaced everything and nothing worked.

Proportioning valve in MBC could be going bye bye, from my knowledge it's usually the culprit. Have you replaced anything brake related lately? For starters you can try adjusting the actuator rod on the brake booster or a temp fix I used was to put a couple washers between the MBC and the booster.

i just changed the pads and rotors but the problem was there before i changed them. do you think that there could be air stuck in the system still?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
figure out why your brake calipers are clamping on your rotors..

I think what your experiencing is brake fade in the pedal.. because the brakes are always clamping on the rotor they overheat... it also explains why it may be slow taking off from a stop at lights.

good luck
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Alpha Residence

Alpha Residence is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddahboi View Post
i just changed the pads and rotors but the problem was there before i changed them. do you think that there could be air stuck in the system still?
I don't think so, it seems like the brake fluid is forcing the caliper to the rotor but is not returning when you are releasing the brake pedal. If there was air still in the system, I don't think it would prevent the fluid from returning to the MBC. It would just make for a mushy brake pedal and poor brake performance.

Try unplugging the brake booster, make sure you plug the line or you'll have a major vac leak. From there try taking the car slow around the neighborhood. You're not going to have power brakes and you'll have to hit the pedal hard but if the brakes don't lock up I think you can start narrowing down the problem towards the booster. If it still locks up I would have to assume it be the proportioning valve in the MBC.
Alpha Residence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

thanks^^ ill check it out..
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
beto300zx
Leaky Injector

beto300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problem, i put my 300zx brakes on and the same thing happend.
it turned out to be the brake booster, just raplace it and you should be fine.
beto300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Another person here that will say it's probably the brake booster.

Happened on my wife's 89.

We'd just be driving and all of a sudden it's as if she threw on the brakes and the car just doesn't want to go anywhere.

So we'd pull over to a gas station or something and shut down the car, pump the brakes a few times, and start the car up again. From that act, I guess the vacuum pulls on the diaphragm on the booster and loosen the brakes.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Bumnah
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Bumnah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumnah
I'd like to say to check the caliper as well, but it would be locked all the time.

It's okay the first 5 minutes of driving, and then it acts up?
Bumnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumnah View Post
I'd like to say to check the caliper as well, but it would be locked all the time.

It's okay the first 5 minutes of driving, and then it acts up?

yes its acts up after the first couple of minutes..i notice that if i pump the pedal while at a stop it goes away for another three minutes or so then comes back..
Old 02-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Seized calipers would be the most common cause.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #12
devnull
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
devnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pinched/kinked brake line perhaps?
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 AM   #13
superbike81
Zilvia Junkie

superbike81 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had this problem on my motorcycle. The rear brake locked up on me going about 50mph and I nearly crashed. Basically the caliper needed to be rebuilt, as it heated up, it expanded to the point where it would clamp down on the rotor. It wouldn't let go until I let it cool down for about 15 minutes, another couple minutes later it would heat up and lock again.
superbike81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Is there rolling resistance when you first start it up? Or when the car is off?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Howlermonkey
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Howlermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake push rod set too tight not letting master cylinder open ports that need to be opened.

Toyotas and Lexus cars had this problem when water would cause the clip that holds the piston into the master to rust.

Once it rusted, it also swelled not allowing the brake master to fully retract.

Same symptoms.
Howlermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
georgesal
BANNED

georgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to behold
make sure none of the brake hoses are kinked take the front calipers off their bracket and have a friend slowly press the pedal down dont let the pistons come all the way out. the try to push the piston back in if they slide in smoothly your calipers should be good. also when the brakes begin to lock up try un bolting the master cylinder from the booster leave the lines connected if the brakes loosen then your problem is the booster. if you still can't pinpoint it take it to a midas we charge 25 for a brake inspection. if you do a repair its free
georgesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
Is there rolling resistance when you first start it up? Or when the car is off?

theres no rolling resistance at all when i first start it up. but after a couple of minutes of driving that when i get a lot of resistance. In the morning the pedal is normal not too soft but after a couple minutes of driving the pedal gets pretty much rock hard.