Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
sicwitit11

Trader Rating: (0)
sicwitit11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 wet floor problem please help!

today i noticed that my windows had alot of moisture on them from the inside. i got into my car and noticed my carpet was completly soaked!. it has been raining alot lately so im guessing i have a pretty bad leak somwere. where would be good place to start lookin? i dont want it 2 start smelling bad or rust away at my floorboards.. thanks guys
sicwitit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Did you drive in the rain at all?
cause it could have came through the floor. Like if you have removed rear seatbelts or something.

Sunroof?
did the sunroof leak?
or the hoses that drain the sunroof through your interior panels behind your seats?

did it come through the firewall area?
Are all the plugs in place.

Is it a convertable and did you leave the top down?

Basically, no one here can help you.
Your question is so broad with no clues, it could be anything.
Your gonna have to do a little investigation yourself.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Exactly. There's a hundred places water can intrude into the cabin, without knowing the model, options, modifications, etc. we're all guessing in the dark.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
SBCsx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
SBCsx has a spectacular aura aboutSBCsx has a spectacular aura aboutSBCsx has a spectacular aura aboutSBCsx has a spectacular aura aboutSBCsx has a spectacular aura aboutSBCsx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
your trunk? window molding?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Tom25666
Zilvia Addict

Tom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choices
I had a leak that turned out to be the rubber around the tail lights. water runs down the channels for the hatch and gets between the tail light housing and the body. silicone fixed it right up.
Tom25666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
to look for a leak just have someone hose water around the windows and moldings and look inside for drips..
Slammed Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Or you can get one of those bug bombs and set it off inside your car. To find the leak, just get around your car and sniff. When you start coughing, you've found your leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm going to say your heater core is leaking, shot in the dark. Replace it and see if it fix's the wet problem.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i have a coupe.
check your windshield.thats where i get all my water from..

and it sucks.
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Spencer dougherty
Post Whore!

Location: Santa Ana CA **SideWays Performance** 1(714)330-0021
Trader Rating: (65)
Spencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really niceSpencer dougherty is just really nice
Feedback Score: 65 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Spencer dougherty
its your heater core!!
Spencer dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #11
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer dougherty View Post
its your heater core!!
And you know this how? Heater core leaks coolant, not plain water. It's highly unlikely that the OP doesn't know the difference between the two.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
1fastser
Leaky Injector

1fastser is an unknown quantity at this point
What you're gonna have to do is take off a lot of interior panels and get up in your dash to look...while you're hosing your car off with water (or someone else).

If the carpet was mostly wet in the front of the car, start with the corners of the windshield...good luck.
1fastser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Since it could be anything, I'm going to guess the taillights leaking into the interior.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
im gonna vote for.... leaving the windows down

or heater core... since the OP did say the carpet was soaked, and to me that means a lot of fluid... more than could have got in from it rainning
Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
Sit in the car, and have someone hose the car down, and watch for leaks.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #16
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
Drive it through a car wash, one of those high pressure ones!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
projectRDM
Post Whore!

All of the firewall grommets are culprits too, especially in the fender wells where the hood cable and ASCD harness go through. My engine harness is out right now and water trickles in through that big ass hole every time it rains.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
yurisfriendevan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
yurisfriendevan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
If it was the heater core you would be able to smell the coolant.
yurisfriendevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
While we're somewhat in the topic, is it typical for the seat brackets and other steel pieces(like the area under the shift knob for example) in the cabin to have some surface rust?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #20
supreme_1
Zilvia Addict

supreme_1 is on the path to ruinsupreme_1 is on the path to ruinsupreme_1 is on the path to ruin
i think your flux capacitor is leaking, or maybe even your blinker fluid overflow resavour
supreme_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:22 AM   #21
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
While we're somewhat in the topic, is it typical for the seat brackets and other steel pieces(like the area under the shift knob for example) in the cabin to have some surface rust?
Some light surface corrosion is typical since they're not coated with anything. The dash crossbar and rear seat brackets do it too, along with the pedal brackets. I powdercoated all my parts while the interior was out because it bothered me but a coat of rustoleum works fine.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Some light surface corrosion is typical since they're not coated with anything. The dash crossbar and rear seat brackets do it too, along with the pedal brackets. I powdercoated all my parts while the interior was out because it bothered me but a coat of rustoleum works fine.

OK that's what originally had me wondering about this. I'll look into powder coating then as well. Thanks.