Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #1021
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBrown View Post
Werd.

I know a few peeps who run 2871's on their stock crank SR's w/ stock cams that get ~380whp+. They're pushing 22+ psi at it to achieve this. It's altogether therefore possible. These turbo's looove boost. Cams just make the same numbers possible at lower boost.
now thats bs.
380rwhp
haha my car doesnt even have that hahhahahahahah

380RWHP!! stock cams!!! HHHHHHHHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #1022
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambadrun View Post
now thats bs.
380rwhp
haha my car doesnt even have that hahhahahahahah

380RWHP!! stock cams!!! HHHHHHHHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
well not its not total BS

I have the 2871R .64 running stock cams and stock Intake manifold

I made 363whp on a mustang dyno at 21psi.
Tuner says it feel more than that though
but i also built my block though.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #1023
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
deukalionS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambadrun View Post
Sorry man.

It's definately USA dynos read high.

I have a shitloads of mates here who even run TD06-L2-20G complete TRUST kits ( brand new, 8cm ) today a mate of mine tuned his.... 17psi boost with a cleaned up head and springs with Jun 264. 11.5mm camshafts

this car was stock bottom but had the fresh reco head and cams with springs

guess what power it made?

348.66rwhp

now
that in the states would be wayyy too low right? its actually quite high here hahaha... Theres no way on earth a GT-RS (2871 52t) can make that power unless its running massive cams and 20+psi boost. ive seen it too many times on differnt dynos in australia and differnt tuners too so no excuses....

But its good to see you can make that power in USA.. maybe go and drag race it to see what MPH and times you pull down the quarter mile?

heres a link to my mates fresh TD06-L2-20G chart.
this was on a higher reading dynapack dyno ( hub dyno from NZ)....

and a video of my car on 1.1bar boost with a run in tune ( 365rwhp or so.. Mainline dyno)

YouTube - Testing S13 Silvia JUN 2.2L KKK turbo 1.1k boost

its definately the dynos in usa. im satisfied by that because you guys make 300rwhp from stock T28's and 350rwhp on 2871 52ts....... quite easly too with mild mods . and low boost. which is the total oppisite to australia... and other countrys.
I'm not sure why the dynos in Australia read so low compared to the states. im guessing that even if we were to use the same dyno the results would be the same? (Doubtful) I've done my run on a dynodynamics and am confident that passing 350whp on it isnt an issue.

I'm going to do looking into on the dynos you guys use there and whatever else would cause such a DRASTIC difference in power readings.

Quote:
well not its not total BS

I have the 2871R .64 running stock cams and stock Intake manifold

I made 363whp on a mustang dyno at 21psi.
Tuner says it feel more than that though
but i also built my block though.
this is exactly what im talking about! there are soo many people who have made over 350whp with this turbo on different dynos. nice numbers by the way sileighty 85
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #1024
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by deukalionS14 View Post
this is exactly what im talking about! there are soo many people who have made over 350whp with this turbo on different dynos. nice numbers by the way sileighty 85
this turbo is capable of the numbers but yours kinda confuses me on how you can achieve your numbers at a medium boost level. I know cams help but not sure/aware they would help that much.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #1025
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
this turbo is capable of the numbers but yours kinda confuses me on how you can achieve your numbers at a medium boost level. I know cams help but not sure/aware they would help that much.
Well, i have the water/meth kit installed and running but the tuner didn't tune for it. I'm not sure why the numbers are where they are lol but to get the numbers i did on both the DD Dyno and the DJ dyno something much be going right!

honestly, the numbers on the Dynodynamics surprised me more than anything.

I guess after im done with the final tune i will post that sheet up.

I know that cams help for a fact but you're right. i dont know if they help as much as they have here. i also have a GReddy intake mani (new design with runners) so im guessing that helps as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #1026
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well, i have the water/meth kit installed and running but the tuner didn't tune for it. I'm not sure why the numbers are where they are lol but to get the numbers i did on both the DD Dyno and the DJ dyno something much be going right!

honestly, the numbers on the Dynodynamics surprised me more than anything.

I guess after im done with the final tune i will post that sheet up.

I know that cams help for a fact but you're right. i dont know if they help as much as they have here. i also have a GReddy intake mani (new design with runners) so im guessing that helps as well.
ahhhhh i see now.
Good shit then man
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #1027
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
If 350 wasn't capable on this turbo I would sue Garrett. The turbo's efficiency range is 20-25 isn't it?

I ran 22 psi when I had 272's and it was nuts. It was only a highway car. I ran 20psi the other night and I couldn't WOT due to loss of traction. I now have 264's so it's not as on off. I plan to turn it up to 23-24 and see what I get at the quarter. Maybe a dyno if the car doesnt sell yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #1028
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
If 350 wasn't capable on this turbo I would sue Garrett. The turbo's efficiency range is 20-25 isn't it?
I would like to know also, I tried reading the compressor map, but failed to understand, well i think i understand just not sure.

Anyway im running mine at 21psi without a problem but would like to bump it a few more PSI if safe :P
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #1029
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post

I ran 22 psi when I had 272's and it was nuts. It was only a highway car. I ran 20psi the other night and I couldn't WOT due to loss of traction. I now have 264's so it's not as on off. I plan to turn it up to 23-24 and see what I get at the quarter. Maybe a dyno if the car doesnt sell yet.
i just checked enjuku racings description of the 2871r and 2871. the 2871r says 360 whp and the 2871rs says 330. now they could be going by the garret says but if there is any place that has built cars and used them its Enjuku.

heavy throttle/phase2 motor trends claims 340-350 Whp with 91 octane, 18-20psi and hks actuator on the 2871r.

in my opinion, the 2 places havent mentioned cams or intake manifold to obtain anywhere from 330-350 Whp.

a quick google search left me with 240sxmotoring claiming 340 whp and 400bhp with 14-18 psi

so confusing. also just my
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #1030
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

yeah, people are making good power from these "little" turbos. i love mine to death and cant wait to push higher psi level like you guys are!

I agree that they might not be including cams, intake mani, water/meth, etc. This might be the reason why it seems as though the number we make are "impossible".
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #1031
juggernaut1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
juggernaut1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2roll4life7 View Post
I remember reading this i was surprised of the outcome
Dyno Dash - AWD - Modified Magazine
What a joke that article is - they didn't even run the car in the same gear across all the dyno's. The DD and the Dynopack used 4th gear and the Mustang and Dynoject used 3rd gear..hahahaha.

Also the Dynojet uses a default 77 degrees or 60 degree ambient temp depending on the correction used. What a joke....why doesn't it use ACTUAL ambient temp to provide an ACTUAL power figure.

The article is also silent on the ramp rates actually used which can also radically change the power readings.

That comparison and some of the dynos used are flawed on many levels......I smell something fishy with that article.....perhaps someone wanted to acheive a certain outcome with the dyno readings.
juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #1032
juggernaut1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
juggernaut1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
He's more evidence the dyno comparison article is a crock.

Take a look at this dynojet dyno - 3rd gear run resulted in 440 hp and run in 4th and made 461hp. So a 21 hp increase from using 4th gear.

Back in the saddle again! New dyno inside - FreshAlloy.com Forums

All of a sudden it puts the dyno results back into perspective.
juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #1033
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut1 View Post
What a joke that article is - they didn't even run the car in the same gear across all the dyno's. The DD and the Dynopack used 4th gear and the Mustang and Dynoject used 3rd gear..hahahaha.

Also the Dynojet uses a default 77 degrees or 60 degree ambient temp depending on the correction used. What a joke....why doesn't it use ACTUAL ambient temp to provide an ACTUAL power figure.

The article is also silent on the ramp rates actually used which can also radically change the power readings.

That comparison and some of the dynos used are flawed on many levels......I smell something fishy with that article.....perhaps someone wanted to acheive a certain outcome with the dyno readings.
I was reading this article last week cuz I was bored on a plane (No snakes). I was shaking my head the whole time. So un-scientific like most of thier tech articles. I skip that whole section whenever I read that mag.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #1034
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

LOL, when I got my turbo it came in a box marked 400, but the description of the trim I bought said 460. This was from FR Sport I believe, or Heavy Throttle...cant remember...
Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #1035
Ghost240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Ghost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
well i've been reading this thread and have decided to become the test dummy for........tada the 3071R.......bottom mount.....yes. So I will see how this goes.....stock cams, stock IM, stock everything except for flywheel, intake, elbow, and exhaust. I plan on running either a 38mm wastegate via the stock manifold OR getting the ATP housing and a 44mm. I'll keep ya posted.
Ghost240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #1036
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost240 View Post
well i've been reading this thread and have decided to become the test dummy for........tada the 3071R.......bottom mount.....yes. So I will see how this goes.....stock cams, stock IM, stock everything except for flywheel, intake, elbow, and exhaust. I plan on running either a 38mm wastegate via the stock manifold OR getting the ATP housing and a 44mm. I'll keep ya posted.
Please update the thread as often as you can, I would love to see that ATP housing working in your car.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #1037
Ghost240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Ghost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Please update the thread as often as you can, I would love to see that ATP housing working in your car.
Me too. It looks like a very clean and well designed housing, it's just a matter of clearance issues. Either way I want to give it a shot.
Ghost240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #1038
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost240 View Post

I'm interested in this as well, stock ex manifold plus the ATP rear housing.
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #1039
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

^^^
Cant wait for teh results!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #1040
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
a few questions since im just getting my car running with this turbo and my new setup...

what kind of vacuum are you guys pulling at idle?

any of you running this turbo with 850cc injectors, z32 and an afc? if so, what do u have the sensor type and the in and out set at? i cant figure it out. i know its hot wire but the in and out is killing me

is anyone using taka turbo lines on a red top sr? if so, i would love to see a pic of how you ran the coolant line to the back of the motor. mine is like super stretched and touching the turbo dump pipe.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #1041
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
1st off are yo really going to run this setup with an AFC? Really? That is totally not recommended especially with injectors this siz. I would suggest do some research... Don't bother.... I pull about 8PSI which is about 16kg/mm or something like that.... I use lines and why is the coolant ran to the back of the motor and not into the block like stock? Is this a KA? Also secondly, did you put a oil restrictor on it as most new oil lines don't have restrictor...

Finally did you read ANY pages on this thread?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #1042
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

sorry for the shortage on info.
engine is a red top sr. i have an RS Enthalpy tuned ecu for the setup with the 850 injectors...i ran the coolant line to the same place the oem one was at. i dont use an fittings right now so the coolant line is a slip on type that is on the back of the block(hardline)
didnt know i needed an oil restrictor. i bought the taka lines and i guess for the price i didnt think i needed to add something to restrict oil.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #1043
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
1st off are yo really going to run this setup with an AFC? Really? That is totally not recommended especially with injectors this siz. I would suggest do some research... Don't bother.... I pull about 8PSI which is about 16kg/mm or something like that.... I use lines and why is the coolant ran to the back of the motor and not into the block like stock? Is this a KA? Also secondly, did you put a oil restrictor on it as most new oil lines don't have restrictor...

Finally did you read ANY pages on this thread?

I could be wrong, but I think the person asking the question is right....the stock water line runs to the back of the block.

What many people do is to block that off with a bolt and a hose clamp....get an S14 water neck (up near the front right of the head...tap into that and run your water to there.

Wayyyy easier that way.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #1044
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Well, unless there was a problem in the installation of the parts then the problem wouldnt be with the cams or VTC. the VTC solenoid was replaced with a new one.

The turbo is fine as i have checked and had my entire set up looked over by Otis at RB performance before heading over the tuner in Hesperia which was BEYOND hot and still pulled 381 consistantly over 4 or more pulls.

As for power increasing as the boost increased. there was a difference just from a "butt feeling" between 12psi and 15psi. the one thing that we did was change the fuel pump to a circuit sports unit and get it tuned.

other than the wg opening at 16psi and not holding 18 everything was great.
I'm glad you got it sussed, I just FINALLY got a chance to read back and noticed you changed the IM and a couple other things, the AM injection.
You can add about 4-6 degrees of timing more on boost which is HUGE for making more power and is great addition if you are looking at a primarily street car. I am glad you got the number you were looking for and the setup seems like an awesome one, you should be one of the fastest 2871R cars in the region now.

Tell you what, Next Time I go down to tune a customer I will PM you and if you are avail I should be able to line up a FREE pull or two, just to at least try to get a better real world Dyno V. Dyno comparison.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #1045
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
true. that is a good point. also, the 2876 is a good idea as well. i just cant find and user reviews on them. and seeing as how the garrett site says its not for performance applications im like
Here ya go BTW

This is Ramon's car,
YouTube - Ramone's SR20DET powered S13

I tuned it a while ago,-AM inj, 2876R, we actually ended up getting a best of 421 WHP- on 91 octane and 20 PSI

He also had over 340 FT LBS! which is a LOT on a DD

I have actually been trying to get in touch with him if anyone knows him tell him to hit me up, his car sat too long with dead battery and his ecu lost the map somehow, I also lost his map because my Laptop crashed and I lost all my data, including a couple of other customers - this is why new policy is I send the .dat fc-logit file to them in an email after the tuning session.

Funny part is we tuned this car the whole time not knowing it had a vacuum leak. One of the vacuum leak plugs for the holes under the throttle body blew off during the first couple of runs and we estimated we could have made another 10-20 whp if we did not have this issue in the back ground. Really annoying but who could have known? I now tripple check all of the vacuum spts obsessively

Turbo was a little laggy, i.e. full boost kicked on at 4500 RPMS with anything over 16 PSI but after than car pulled very violent to 8000RPM limit I set up on it. If we had switched in some HKS 272 instead of the BC cams I am sure we could have hit over 440 WHP at 21 PSI with the AM, which is ridiculous for a T28 Turbine.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #1046
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the person asking the question is right....the stock water line runs to the back of the block.

What many people do is to block that off with a bolt and a hose clamp....get an S14 water neck (up near the front right of the head...tap into that and run your water to there.

Wayyyy easier that way.
Oooooo yeah its that 3rd line... I totally forgot lol..... Hmmm my taka lines were SUPER long from what I remember and I didn't have a problem....
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #1047
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

sweet. well so far thank for the help guys. i appreciate it.

any other thought on my other ?s
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #1048
slider2828
Post Whore!

^^ You sure he chra is pointing he right way which might cause the problem of short coolant line?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #1049
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
^^ You sure he chra is pointing he right way which might cause the problem of short coolant line?

True....I ordered my turbo thru ATP, and I think it was pre-clocked a certain way.....excellent point

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #1050
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
im not sure what chra is but i put a clocking kit on it when i get it. The fitting on the turbo was originally a 9 degree and i switched it to a 45. it seems to fit better but still seems tight.