Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #2971
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Those 290s are guna be MEAN!
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #2972
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
turbob16ef is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
290s....Golly. That must not be a street car anymore.
turbob16ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #2973
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Deftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It'll still be tagged/insured/street legal.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #2974
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftec View Post
Deftec, do you think a billet tensioner bracket is necessary for a 500whp setup (drifting)? My neighbor swears that the stock ones fail all the time, but I have actually yet to see it happen. Of course he is in the 800+whp in his supra so I could see them being more prone to failure at those power levels.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #2975
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
Deftec, do you think a billet tensioner bracket is necessary for a 500whp setup (drifting)? .
I would say yes ONLY if you have a gates racing timing belt (or something similar). I say that due to they are little more tighter from my searching through the supra forums.

*Only problem I ran into was with the timings belt tension bolt (allen head bolt) backing out and caused the timing belt to lock up the motor. I tore the motor apart thing it seized and found out it was the timing belt. I was 450-500whp stock block built head. oem timing belt

Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #2976
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Did you have locktite on that bolt? The fsm specifies to put it on.
And I do have the blue gates belt.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #2977
Deftec
Zilvia Junkie

Deftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-knownDeftec is making his/her stupidity well-known
I ran 600+hp on the stock tensioner for several years, but it might have been pure luck it never gave out.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #2978
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Anyone need a 1jz ECU (with driftmotion capacitor fix), or 1jz ignitor?
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #2979
reynas14
Leaky Injector

reynas14 is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a R154!!! lol
reynas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #2980
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody gone to a hard line for the turbo oil feed with aftermarket turbo(s)?

My steel braided Teflon oil feed line broke on the inside after I moved it a bit while working on the car - after only a year - from the heat.

I was going to put a fire sleeve on the new line, but then I started thinking that it would be better to just have a hard line there instead, right?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #2981
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

turbob16ef is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive seen plenty of people use hardline for aftermarket feed for that reason. Most stock turbo cars come with hardline, shouldnt be no different.
turbob16ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #2982
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Ok guys I got my twins off! Also removed the ac compressor and need to make a we bracket for supporting the ps pump. Gunna clean the block up some too, oily and deserves a good washin :-) just waiting on my crank bolt holder and the gates belt, gates tensioner, and water pump to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131104_111954.jpg (565.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_112034.jpg (551.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #2983
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynas14 View Post
Ok guys I got my twins off! Also removed the ac compressor and need to make a we bracket for supporting the ps pump. Gunna clean the block up some too, oily and deserves a good washin :-) just waiting on my crank bolt holder and the gates belt, gates tensioner, and water pump to come
How long did it take you to remove your turbos?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #2984
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterribl3 View Post
What are my transmission options for a 5spd? I know r154 amd w58 with the right bell housong, but are there any others? And what usdm cars could I find any of them in? Thanks
If you want it to be easy, R154 and/or W58 are your best bets. R154 is significantly stronger than the W58, and should you ever have an issue, there are tonnes of upgrades available.

There are a handful of different ways to source a trans, with the easiest one more than likely being to find an MKIII Turbo Supra in a junkyard/wrecker/etc. From there, you'd need a shifter extension and the correct bell housing, but depending on what you pay for the trans, it might end up being the cheapest route.

Otherwise, you can try to find a W58 from an SC300 or NA MKIV Supra, but that's not exactly easy, and the trans could decide to self destruct if you push too much power through it. (They would have the correct bell housing and may require shifter mods, but I'm not sure)

There's also the option of sourcing one a trans from an importer, in which case, a JZX90 R154 Transmission is probably your best bet as it comes with a shifter in the perfect spot for swapping into an S-Chassis. The only thing that sucks here is that the trans could run you some decent coin, probably $750 on the low end, and $1.1k - $1.2k on the high end.

Something that's getting a bit more common lately is running a Z33 Trans behind a 1J/2J. The adapter kit is something like $500 dollars and the Transmissions can be had new for something like $1.5k and used for ~half that. If I ever feel the need for a different trans behind my 1J, I'd probably go the Z33 route, since the only other option would be a V160... Which is unreasonably expensive considering the value of the car.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #2985
reynas14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
How long did it take you to remove your turbos?
Man I was hoping no one would ask haha it took me probably about 4 or 5 hours. Granted im working out of my parents garage since I dont have one :-( but still there are a lot of little things to take off such as brackets, turbo piping in the way of bolts. I think there was a time I was removing a part to get to a part that let me loosen a bolt to remove something to get to another bolt haha but it was funa and I learned a lot of how they had it working. Super fun dude
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #2986
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynas14 View Post
Man I was hoping no one would ask haha it took me probably about 4 or 5 hours. Granted im working out of my parents garage since I dont have one :-( but still there are a lot of little things to take off such as brackets, turbo piping in the way of bolts. I think there was a time I was removing a part to get to a part that let me loosen a bolt to remove something to get to another bolt haha but it was funa and I learned a lot of how they had it working. Super fun dude
Yeah, once I pick up my engine that's the first thing I want to tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Something that's getting a bit more common lately is running a Z33 Trans behind a 1J/2J. The adapter kit is something like $500 dollars and the Transmissions can be had new for something like $1.5k and used for ~half that. If I ever feel the need for a different trans behind my 1J, I'd probably go the Z33 route, since the only other option would be a V160... Which is unreasonably expensive considering the value of the car.
I've seen small bits of info about this, but the pages I look at make the swap seem much more expensive than this.

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php...-steel-61.html

They have more of a "bolt on" kit on the site, claiming lots of custom parts. But the variety of clutch options seem off, where the only really streetable option only holds 425 crank tq.

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php...ption-kit.html

Also, what else would need to be done for the transmission to correctly mount in an S13/14?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #2987
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
Did you have locktite on that bolt? The fsm specifies to put it on.
And I do have the blue gates belt.
Yes I did, even though you shouldn't due to they come with loctite on the tensioner bolt from the dealer. Didn't over tighten by a couple lbs either since they can cause it to back out as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #2988
reynas14
Leaky Injector

In the process of taking all the vsv stuff and the non needed electronics and wires and thingsoff of the engine but I havhaving trouble determining what I can and cant take off when going single. Im also getting a new harness if that matters too. Could someone give me some pointers? Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131104_133111.jpg (532.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_133129.jpg (511.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_133147.jpg (543.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #2989
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Reynas14 - Only sensors I have on my motor

Intake Side
- knock sensor 1 & 2
- camshaft sensors 1 & 2
- MAP
- TPS
- IAT
- Injectors
- Coil Packs
- Oil pressure
- IACV

Exhaust Side
- o2 sensor
- coolant temp sensor (on water neck)
- gauge sensor (on water neck)
- Alternator
- Crankshaft Position Sensor
Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #2990
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
damn Deftec, new setup should be pretty damn stout! In for results!

Also about the billet timing belt tensioner, I asked Reid at Sound Performance about that in January when i was discussing my setup and redoing the timing setup and he said it would be overkill with 500whp.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #2991
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maybe these idler brackets break because the hydraulic tensioner is worn causing it to 'bounce' on it. Like a hammering effect, I could see why they sometimes break. I can't imagine them breaking from solely having a gates timing belt on.
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #2992
reynas14
Leaky Injector

ATLspeed thank you I will be going over my engine tomorrow removing whats not on that list. Also phonso you make sense, I read many pages ago (just got to page 60 so still late to the party) that it broke locking up a motor. I really dont want that to happen so I got the gates timing belt, gates tensioners and gates h2o pump in hopes that it helps some. Of course it could just be a yota brand with gates on the name. Similar to what greddy does with gates belts. Fingers crossed though boyz! Haha
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #2993
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
Maybe these idler brackets break because the hydraulic tensioner is worn causing it to 'bounce' on it. Like a hammering effect, I could see why they sometimes break. I can't imagine them breaking from solely having a gates timing belt on.
Precisely why i changed out both. I figured if i was going in to change the timing belt why not change the bracket and tensioner? they arent expensive at all.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #2994
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Got a nice package in from Freed the other day.

And here is what it's all for.

Now I'm just waiting on some parts to get back from the powder coater to put everything on and get it bolted into the car.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #2995
AS240
Zilvia Addict

As far as the power steering pump bracket, I don't know if anybody has brought this up, but it can be done with just some stuff laying around.
Using the stock lower bracket and a DIY spacer should do the job.
In this case, a 3/8 socket is a perfect fit where the AC compressor would be normally. Buy a set of trash sockets from Harbor Fail or autozone and drill out the square socket insert and you should be fine.
What I'm talking about....

^^^cant get this pic to rotate for some reason WTF

That socket fits perfectly. NO I don't intend on using it. I'm just showing that making some sort of spacer using the bracket already there seems easier than fabing up an elaborate bracket and finding your own hardware.
I'm going to give a local CNC shop here a call in the morning and give them measurements and find out what something like that would cost. I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #2996
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
^^Very nice... Didnt know Freed was doing harness conversions. How much was teh AEM if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #2997
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Mine is almost ready, I will say this. This time I'm using the xcessive brackets and they are much much better then the myjzswap brackets I was using. Motor sits in there great! I'm also running just solid aluminum mounts off eBay.

And I'm also running the driftmotion oil cooler kit

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #2998
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Mine is almost ready, I will say this. This time I'm using the xcessive brackets and they are much much better then the myjzswap brackets I was using. Motor sits in there great! I'm also running just solid aluminum mounts off eBay.

What thermostat are you running on the oil cooler? Does it come with the driftmotion kit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #2999
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
It's built in with the sandwich plate. I believe it's 180 deg, or 160. I can't remember, it's on their site though
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #3000
93egallmotor
Leaky Injector

93egallmotor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post

what did you search for on ebay to find the solid mounts? i have the excessive kit and was going to use oem mounts from my 1jz but they are thrashed. im confused on what mounts i should be searching for lol
93egallmotor is offline   Reply With Quote