Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #31
xpicer

Trader Rating: (0)
xpicer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xpicer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali 556 View Post
I Was having the same proplem as you...werd over heating and with brand new thermo - water pump - sensor and i was still over heating....

So i Removed/deleted The T-stat and every thing is A-OK...now..

keep in mind that i live in a VERY HOT part of the world..EVERY day the out side temp goes up to 50*C = ~120*F....

And After Deleting the T-Stat...my car never over heat..but it take some time time to go to the normal operting temp...(only 1-2 min later)....

Setup :

2x E-fans (puller) (Auto ON @80*C) And Auto Off @75*C.
2x E-Fans (Pusher's From A Merceds-Benz S500) (not hooked up yet)
STOCK KA Rad.
STOCK EVERY thing else....

So Try And ! The T-stat and see what happen...

Hope This Help,

Regards,

Ali
whoaaa that sure is alot of things , but have you given the though that your radiator migth be clogged inside ??
xpicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #32
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
did anybody think of a fan clutch???????
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #33
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
I have a clutch fan and as far as I can tell it is operating perfectly normal.

My car didn't have a thermo for awhile and it would still over heat after about 20 mins of good driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #34
alilvietboi4u
Leaky Injector

alilvietboi4u is on the path to ruinalilvietboi4u is on the path to ruin
hey guys. the other day i replaced the water pump, put in a new nissan thermostat. my car will start to overheat on idle. also my upper radiator hose is hot and the bottom is cold. another thing is that my heater core is bad but i never use the heater so there shouldnt be any coolant flowing through the core. any ideas what is the problem? im about to replace my radiator but it looks fine. fan works fine also. its an annoying problem.
alilvietboi4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #35
Dirty Habit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
Dirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Im having this same problems as everyone else in this thread. Ive changed out thermo, waterpump and on friday Im going to put in a new radiator. Also I have re-routed my lines so that they have deleted the heater all togeather...because I dont have one.
Ill give a heads up if thats what it finally was. Or Ill come back and bitch...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #36
94eghatch

94eghatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Check for hot spots on the radiator. You may have a clogged radiator.
94eghatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #37
alilvietboi4u
Leaky Injector

alilvietboi4u is on the path to ruinalilvietboi4u is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eghatch View Post
Check for hot spots on the radiator. You may have a clogged radiator.
no clogged radiator. i ran water through it. flows out the bottom
alilvietboi4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #38
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
if ur radiator isnt clogged, then theres deff a clog somewhere in ur system, this statement is for those who have shanged out there t stat radiator and pump

for those of u with heater...i wonder...did u guys turnt he heater on full blast with the rad cap off once normal temp was reached...? if u didnt theres ur problem...ur system isnt completely bled...

if u looped the lines and have no heater, and over heating...check for pinched lines

also make sure u dont have leaks somewhere...if u didnt clamp something down enough, trust me itll happen

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #39
2_fast_240
Zilvia Member

2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore2_fast_240 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by alilvietboi4u View Post
hey guys. the other day i replaced the water pump, put in a new nissan thermostat. my car will start to overheat on idle. also my upper radiator hose is hot and the bottom is cold. another thing is that my heater core is bad but i never use the heater so there shouldnt be any coolant flowing through the core. any ideas what is the problem? im about to replace my radiator but it looks fine. fan works fine also. its an annoying problem.
If your heater doesnt work. I would go ahead and delete it so you can rule that out.

Also, to all overheaters. When the car is up to operating temp. Check the upper radiator hose to make sure it has pressure.
YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETELY PINCH THE HOSE. I dont care if you bench 500 lbs and eat children for breakfest.
If you can, there is either a leak, or air in the system.

And never rule out a blown headgasket.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #40
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
if u read what everyone posted so far and diagnosed everything, i guarantee ur problem would be fixed already. it don't matter that its 120f (slightly exaggerating.. don't know wat happens after 110). a properly bleed radiator syst and of course having all radiator system parts in good operating condition will not give u any problems.
now, i had the same exact problem as u. exactly what u say in all ur posts, i had the same exact problem.
i never posted my problem here cus the search found all my answers. diagnosed accordingly from others problems. found my problem. as much as i denied it, and denied it and denied it. it was THE problem i and MOST people have. air in the system.
assuming ur system is using good working parts and ur on a slight incline (driveway incline is enough), u need to pop off the breather screw and let ur car run as hot and long as it has to till water start bubbling and splashing out of the tiny whole. the second water is on the rim of the whole, cap it off immediately. now have water ready to put in ur coolant reservoir. the radiator cap should stay on the whole time and the water level should be right at the cap before u even start (on the slight incline). if theirs air, the coolant pressure will push the air out into the coolant reservior and bubble out. When this happens, keep a constant amount of water in the reservoir (don't over fill it or it will cause further heater for some reasons beyond my understanding). the coolant system will suckin the water to replace the space the air was taking up. plan to spend 30 mins making sure u get everything.
i swear i had to same problem. i also replaced the water pump. it went bad because their was air in the system. the constant raise and fall of temp in the coolant cause a seal along the shaft of the waterpump to break.
i had replaced my thermostat for a nismo. my radiator cap was worn (makes a huge difference. even the slightest crack on the rubber seal will cause and air problem in ur system). don't matter whether u get a jo-shmo 13lb cap at ur local autozone (which i used) or oem, or even nismo 18lb cap or wat have u (switch to the 18 if u want AFTER u correct ur prob using a 13lb., which is wat i did) i don't recommend capping off ur interior heater core if ur having heating problems ever. if ur temp gauge is going up and down, it has circulation, its not clogged. if its reading hot, then suddenly it shows it cooled off after ur punched it, coolant had to have cycled threw. i recommend using all water in ur system and the wetter-water additive (cost 10 bones). i replaced my hoses as well. i recommend keeping on a working thermostat with the breather whole on top. spending 280 for a koyo is worth it especially these days in so cal. its freakin hot right now. im sure i left more details out from my ordeal.

here's a pic of some sludgy syrup krap that i found in replacing my hoses:

if none of wat i said worked, ur still doing something wrong, or find something else that can handle it and has more reliablity.

as far as wat i now have ever since my experience: koyo rad w/ nismo cap and thermo. replaced hoses and pump. water and wetter-water additive. the op. temp is a full length (length between two makings in gauge) lower than factory op. temp. i have no clutch fan. i never use a fan, cus the car handles it perfectly. i have two electric fans that never turn on. the front mounted fan (found on 89-90 240s is the automatic overheat fan the car controls. the rear mounted fan found on 91+ 240's is the electric fan i control.

My YouTube Channel

Last edited by xpertsnowcarver; 08-09-2008 at 12:43 AM..
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #41
Dirty Habit
Nissanaholic!

Dirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfectionDirty Habit is close to perfection
Ok. I replaced my thermo, waterpump, temp sensor and now radiator and the bastard still overheats. Well, whats wierd is that the upper hose gets supper hot, but my temp gauge says that the engine is running normal, and I can feel it getting super hot, to the point where its boiling out the burp hole. Temp gauge stll stays between H and C. Anyone have any ideas? can it be the heater hose or maybe the clutch fan??
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #42
Dirty Habit
Nissanaholic!

Ok Update. It still over heats after a few mins. Ive burped it a few times now. I can feel air going through the top radiator hose, like big bubbles going through it. Pulled open the bleeder tab but nothing went though. WTF.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #43
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
did u turn the heater full blast while doing it?

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #44
Dirty Habit
Nissanaholic!

I dont have A/C or Heat in the car. Heater is looped out of the system.
This is driving me fucking nuts. Ive bled it close to 5 times now since I last flushed it.
I just wanna drive my damn car.

Oh and can someone with an fsm handy please tell me what the name of the plug next to the coolant temp sensor is. Its for gauge, i cant find the name of it...?
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #45
whodaman187

whodaman187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is your coolant reservoir cracked, like most? I've heard that you can suck in air through the crack if it is big enough.
whodaman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #46
shmiddy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
shmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey213 View Post
What.are.the.cons.of.not.running.a.thermo.though?

car takes longer if ever to reach operating temp leaving the car system in an open loop... shotting lots of gas in the cylinder when its not needed. the gas can then wash of the small amount of oil between the cylinder walls and the rings causing ring wear. or if left in open loop for a long time gas will end up in your crank case diluting the oil, causing oil pressure loss. but that an extream case. damage can also be caused to you cat
Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #47
i8yourfwd
Zilvia FREAK!

i8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfectioni8yourfwd is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to i8yourfwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Habit View Post
I dont have A/C or Heat in the car. Heater is looped out of the system.
This is driving me fucking nuts. Ive bled it close to 5 times now since I last flushed it.
I just wanna drive my damn car.

Oh and can someone with an fsm handy please tell me what the name of the plug next to the coolant temp sensor is. Its for gauge, i cant find the name of it...?
Thanks.
PhatG20 - 240SX

Here's a downloadable fsm

Quote:
S13SilviaGirl: Mel are you that big?
i8yourfwd is offline   Reply With Quote