Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
a-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to a-s-silvia
3D Scanning Design Website

For the past year I have been working on designing some parts for my 240Z and my S13 using a Faro Platinum Arm I got. After I tried to get a GoFund me campaign for a laser scanner so I could start a free website where CAD scans would be readily available was shot down by everyone that commented on it.

So now I have a Faro Laser scanner and will start off scanning in things I need for now it will be VK56DE, RB26DETT, SR20DET, LS1, L Series, CD009, S13, and 240Z. I will be working towards getting a larger scanner but am in the process of starting the website which will have a $350 yearly membership, or you will be able to download files at a higher fee without a membership.

The files will be IGES files that can be opened in any CAD software. The main purpose behind this is for easy design and once I get the larger scanner and can scan in whole chassis which was my original plan, designing one off or production parts will be simple and require no test fitting.

This will also include aero I plan on scanning the full S13 aero and once I have enough cash to build a large enough injection mold I will be reproducing legit ABS injection molded S13 aero. It is a lot of work for just one person so don't expect it to happen overnight a block like the VK after I scan it has 300,000,000 points that I have to edit and mesh. I will post up the website link here closer to the end of the year once I feel I have enough scans to justify charging a membership fee.

The above images are not scans it was a point cloud from the Faro Platinum of a RB26 and RB30 and is a custom RB36 that I am designing for my 240Z. I do not think there will be that huge of interest on here but once I get finished with my projects I am going to start with the Porsche 911 and Subaru STI

Let me know what you think, for current day to day progress check out my Instagram and ad me RoadBashTV
Old 02-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

a-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymorea-s-silvia is not welcome here anymore
Since there have been no comments I am guessing that everyone was thinking that I was just blowing smoke up your guys skirts. Well after a few hours last night and soon to be a few more hours editing the meshes, here are some initial scans accurate to 25 microns.

Silvia rear valence

RB26 timing cover

240Z interior quarter window trim
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Whoa. Awesome!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So is it that you have to input the measurements, or do you have to scan the actual item?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

That is actual scans of parts, if you look close at the timing cover you can see the chips in the paint and some scale that was where that CAS sensor was. Once i edit the mesh it will be a smooth usable part, body panels are much easier to do since they are a fixed thickness and there are usually not features that are not on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
So is it that you have to input the measurements, or do you have to scan the actual item?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
We mess around with the 3D scanner at school too, they are amazingly accurate, and very easy to deal with and edit the model. I still prefer 3D design, like solid works where you can edit an individual feature like a fillet for example. I think once the design software catches up with the 3D scanner capabilities, it will become really cool.

Currently we are scanning, and replicating parts using a 3D printer.
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You are better off buying just a decent affordable 3D Scanner until you can spend $20k on a really good one.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
$350 yearly membership, ouch my heart

But it sounds cool as hell. So you are going to scan, design, and produce everything?

How does that membership work? I pay $350 and I can download everything you have and make my own parts or do I have to edit and save all my work on your website?
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #9
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

You will download models, lets say you want to put a 2JZ in a car, so you would download the chassis, subframe, engine and trans. You could then locate it where you wand and use the model surfaces to design engine mounts and trans mounts. Then you want to know the driveshaft length you would download the diff and rear subframe. This is the goal but getting there will take a lot of work and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
$350 yearly membership, ouch my heart

But it sounds cool as hell. So you are going to scan, design, and produce everything?

How does that membership work? I pay $350 and I can download everything you have and make my own parts or do I have to edit and save all my work on your website?
Old 02-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Please send me .STL files so I can chop them up and print them. TY bb
Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Hopkins973

Trader Rating: (0)
Hopkins973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is awesome. I know the intentions of what you are doing but I am also wondering if you are intersted in doing small pieces. Are you thinking of the possibilities to create 3DM files for 3D printing.

Just a thought because i am looking for some interior pieces for my s13 that i am unable to find and if someone has it and can be scanned and later on printed on that would be amazing.
Hopkins973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
Would have been nice to do this while making my DIY induction box, instead of having to measure, cut, file everything by hand. =\
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #13
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah later on I plan on scanning a whole chassis but for now I will stick with parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxBt9w4bxY

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0nderbr3ad View Post
Would have been nice to do this while making my DIY induction box, instead of having to measure, cut, file everything by hand. =\
Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I think this could be very useful, but at the same time i can see a big "cease and desist" coming from nissan.

What you are doing is selling plans of parts owned by nissan. HOW you got those plans, wether by scanning the part or stealing the blueprints, is an aggravating matter if you stole them. Scanning could fall under a "counterfeit" claim, as this is what people get sued for when they copy films or software.

I'd urge you to talk to a lawyer before spending much money. I doubt nissan will be a pain if you keep it at a local, part time business, but you need to know wether they can shut you down at any moment or not.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

I doubt they can shut it down since it is a scan and even though it is precise within 25 microns, they are not an exact copy which is how patents are broken. Plus there are no blueprints with no substantial information like material specifications or tolerances, I would see it as a waste of time and bad for their PR to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I think this could be very useful, but at the same time i can see a big "cease and desist" coming from nissan.

What you are doing is selling plans of parts owned by nissan. HOW you got those plans, wether by scanning the part or stealing the blueprints, is an aggravating matter if you stole them. Scanning could fall under a "counterfeit" claim, as this is what people get sued for when they copy films or software.

I'd urge you to talk to a lawyer before spending much money. I doubt nissan will be a pain if you keep it at a local, part time business, but you need to know wether they can shut you down at any moment or not.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Send .stl files please
Old 02-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #17
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Why am I sending STL files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Send .stl files please
Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #18
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

For science
Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Are your files compatible with Lightwave?

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #20
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-s-silvia View Post
I doubt .
Yes, see, lawyers don't give a crap about doubts, and nissan, like every big company, NEED to protect their brand or risk lose it.

So go see a damn lawyer and then get ready to ask nissan for a cheap licence agreement. Or keep going at it, praying you don't get a ceast & desist with associated penalties, your choice.

Seriously though, are you ready to build the core of your business on doubts ? If so, you clearly are no businessman.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #21
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks for the heads up but no patent protects against making a scan, possibly if I was going to go into business reproducing something within the 20 year window possibly. But as we all know Nissan stops producing the parts after that time frame so even if I started mass producing Aero bumpers and made millions off of it Nissan doesn't produce it, plus all of the knock offs of the parts floating around you do not see Nissan going after these companies that make millions off of the product example is Brocks or Keystone. A smart business man does first and asks for permission later.

Quote:
Yes, see, lawyers don't give a crap about doubts, and nissan, like every big company, NEED to protect their brand or risk lose it.

So go see a damn lawyer and then get ready to ask nissan for a cheap licence agreement. Or keep going at it, praying you don't get a ceast & desist with associated penalties, your choice.

Seriously though, are you ready to build the core of your business on doubts ? If so, you clearly are no businessman.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #22
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

What files does lightwave take STL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
Are your files compatible with Lightwave?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #23
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

I wanted the stl's to see if they were manageable to print.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #24
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

You would be able to print but all of these parts are so large you would need a large printer to print any of it.

Quote:
I wanted the stl's to see if they were manageable to print.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #25
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-s-silvia View Post
You would be able to print but all of these parts are so large you would need a large printer to print any of it.
That is a common misconception, there are all kinds of ways around build volume restrictions.

How do you eat an elephant?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #26
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

I usually build a larger printer my current build volume is 1x3ft but I am trying to make a resin printer large enough to print a block.

Quote:
That is a common misconception, there are all kinds of ways around build volume restrictions.

How do you eat an elephant?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #27
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
3D Scanning Design Website

Quote:

Hes not printing or using NISSAN logo or name brand on it. Its only a replacement repair parts.
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #28
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Nissan is more concerned with slapping nismo badges on weird looking crossovers at the moment...not copies of 25 year old timing belt covers.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #29
a-s-silvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Lol this is so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Nissan is more concerned with slapping nismo badges on weird looking crossovers at the moment...not copies of 25 year old timing belt covers.