Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Chrisk0

Trader Rating: (0)
Chrisk0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rebuild or Swap advice

Hello everyone. Before I start off I'd like to say that I encourage anyone to voice their opinion because that's all I want.

I have a 91 s13 hatch. It was sitting still for 10 years before I bought it. So right now, as it sits, I have almost got the stock KA24DE ready for the pulling. It has an automatic transmission and the engine has just under 200k miles on it. There was no valve cover on the engine, or an intake manifold and I could see rats nests, and carbon deposits, and other weird things in the engine. I haven't pulled it yet or disassembled the head or anything like that to take a closer look.

So my question is, can I have it rebuilt and nicely running for under $1000 so I can have a dependable daily and then save up for a $2500 sr20det 5spd swap?

Or should I just keep what I have saved so far and go straight for the swap? I have near $1000 with my tax returns.

Also some parts I have already bought for the swap are the parts for a 5 speed swap over and I have an intercooler and hks ssqv bov, and a manual boost controller.

What do you guys think? (Sorry for the long winded thread)
Chrisk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Why waste money getting that ratty KA running when the SR is really want you want? I'd say save your money for the SR. Hell, IT'LL probably need a rebuild too.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^^Agreed. Just go straight for the SR. You have no idea what shape that engine is in. Your $1000 est could be way off. PLus even if it was that is $1000 away from an SR swap. You could buy a used KA for quite a bit less than that and toss it in there if you need a DD right away.

tip dd and project is a bad idea. I made/am making that mistake now. I don't recommend it.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
tip dd and project is a bad idea. I made/am making that mistake now. I don't recommend it.
Jesus Christ yes... Get a cheap reliable beater car before sinking all your money into a project car. Unless you're ok with walking or public transportation. There are people around with fairly reliable SR swaps, but I sure as hell wouldn't wanna bet my job on it. As for a daily beater car, I'd recommend something that can haul your 240, plus tires, engine and other large miscellaneous parts like aero...
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Jesus Christ yes... Get a cheap reliable beater car before sinking all your money into a project car. Unless you're ok with walking or public transportation. There are people around with fairly reliable SR swaps, but I sure as hell wouldn't wanna bet my job on it. As for a daily beater car, I'd recommend something that can haul your 240, plus tires, engine and other large miscellaneous parts like aero...
A civic is perfect for DD duty.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
bmxer882x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
bmxer882x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wouldn't ok not budget 2k for an sr swap tho. Plan for 4-5k and if you don't spend it all oh well at least you had it. 2k isn't enough to get u running reliably
bmxer882x is offline   Reply With Quote