Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
JD@FONTANANISSAN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JD@FONTANANISSAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'02 G20...SR swap or bolt on turbo????

After half a year of owning my 02 g20, I must say that I am still very satisfied with it. The car is comfortable and somewhat luxurious compared to regular Sentra and it gets alright gas mileage. However, the only complaint I have about it is the car's lack of power. I began to notice that the car even though equipped with a dual cam 2.0 engine that pushes out a whopping 140 hp from the factory, it still remains a little sluggish especially on those steep hills. This car is in desperate need of a little more go and the only way (by only I mean easiest for me) is to go sr20det. I remembered when owning my s13, going sr20set was an absolute no-brainer. Who wouldn't want to dump their barely running ka24 single cam for the much more powerful turbo charged SR that came in the Japanese market cars? However, this time around, it's a little different and I have reached quite a dilemma where I'm not sure what to do and what path to take. A master tech that works with me says that I should turbo the stock SR and going with the a swap is a waste of time and money being that the car will go into fail-safe. On the other hand, my personal tech who has worked on my cars for many years and has had a ton of experience in SR swaps has advised me that a swap is the only way to go because a non turbo SR can't handle that much boost and will blow up sometime down the road anyways. I've going back and forth talking to both techs to determine which path I should take but they both always come up with arguments to counter the others' idea. I am stuck in the middle now and not sure which road I should go down. Has anyone here done either? Swap an SR or added a turbo to a SR? I want to know!
~jimmy
JD@FONTANANISSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
nismolvr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
nismolvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SR20det swap definetly, end of story. You Know this .....
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
You might thinking about putting a VVl engine in aka SR20NEO. regular ones are rated at like 175hp and can rev like you would not believe because they have roller rockers. If you were lucky enough to find a 20v you would be pushing 200hp stock. Of course you can put N1 cams in the regular NEO as well and ad some bolt ons. Though a going with a Turbo engine will give you some go as well. Those are a few of the options. No since trying to turbo the stock engine.
Personally I try to just keep my car as it is. It already has headers, underpulleys, exhaust. blah blah and I realized that its meant to be my daily. I start going off and spending cash on it? It will distract me from my project car. LOL

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
driftsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (54)
driftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Dont turbo the stock motor unless you plan to build it. Take the easy route and go sr20det
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
id take california into consideration and look at a more stealth approach
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can't just slap a turbo on a naturally aspirated engine. Well, not if you plan on doing it right, anyway.

You have to adjust compression, fuel maps, injectors, etc.

Anything else and you'll be looking at something breaking sooner rather than later.

An SR20DET swap has its own sets of cons.

Honestly, both routes present their own set of challenges and will require lots of time and money.
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
id take california into consideration and look at a more stealth approach
This along with

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalveBlue View Post
You can't just slap a turbo on a naturally aspirated engine. Well, not if you plan on doing it right, anyway.

Anything else and you'll be looking at something breaking sooner rather than later.

Honestly, both routes present their own set of challenges and will require lots of time and money.

This, is why I posted what I did earlier. While going with a SR20DET is a quick easy way to get power it does put you into the proverbial smog issue. Of course my G20 friends say the turbo engines you really cannot see the turbo because of the way its set up for FWD.

This brings you back to getting a Neo engine which are actually quite affordable as well $750-850 if you know where to get them. Of course with the Neo you would want to add bolt ons.

In the end the question comes to mind do you want to get into or back into the looking over your shoulder because your engine is technically not legal and you could get a ticket or even wind up at the ref.

At a certain point in ones life, you realize you cannot keep doing this and be in a non stressed frame of mind. LOL

I mean ya you may not be stressed but you do get paranoid. Seen it all to often.

Granted a G20 does not draw nearly the attention a 240 does. Though with an exhaust, lowered and spirited driving you could. LOL

Its really up to you neither engine is completely legal its just a question of which one would draw less attention if you choose to go there.

In the end you have to weigh the factors of which I listed above. Especially since you live out in the inland Empire where the cops seem to like bothering modified cars.

Oh and definitely no to just bolting a on a turbo,especially when there is a turbo version available specifically for your chassis config.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
"YO TALK TO ME JESSE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalveBlue View Post

Is it my fuel map? does it got a nasty hole? perhaps that is why I am unloading in 3rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
You might thinking about putting a VVl engine in aka SR20NEO. regular ones are rated at like 175hp and can rev like you would not believe because they have roller rockers. If you were lucky enough to find a 20v you would be pushing 200hp stock. Of course you can put N1 cams in the regular NEO as well and ad some bolt ons. Though a going with a Turbo engine will give you some go as well. Those are a few of the options. No since trying to turbo the stock engine.
Personally I try to just keep my car as it is. It already has headers, underpulleys, exhaust. blah blah and I realized that its meant to be my daily. I start going off and spending cash on it? It will distract me from my project car. LOL
This is the first time i have ever heard of a 20v SR, i had no idea. That sounds very interesting.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Sell it and get a pre 99 car.

-Stock Roller Rocker motor is low revving and not fun to play with
-How are you going to run the system? Most people with later model P/B chassis that run ROM setups require a rewire to early OBD2

SR20 Forum
G20.net - Forums
SR20 Community Forum - The Dash - Powered by vBulletin

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
airhead
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
airhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I just bought a p10 with five speed and im loving the gas mileage.
I dont think ill ever turbo it.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Put a ls1 in it.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Gizmo_S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
Gizmo_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The way I see it, if you're scared about cops hassling you then why bother modifying the car in the first place. Everyone here knows the price that comes with a modified car. If I was in your shoes though I'd say swap for a turbo motor. I'd rather have a motor that was built for boost than a N/A one that you still have to tune to get all of the power out of it.

Hachiroku, ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!!!
Gizmo_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Race the cops for pinks.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #14
driftage240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
driftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfectiondriftage240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftage240
Well I own an 02 5speed sport( my daily) I was going to install an sr20ve, but since gave up on that for a Maxima vq35 and Spec V 6 speed, full bolt-on I\H\E will deliver a low 13 to mid 12 second daily, shit Vq's love spray(N2O)maybe even faster, I'm all about pissing off evo's,sti's and anything else out there lol in a G20 lol, and for the money u spend boosting or N\A Ve build, u can have something sleeper and fun as fuck, I can sell u my 99 5 speed harness and nistune Ecu, with those 2 thing life will be so much easier for u, once u decided, o btw vq swap no codes and legal( I think??)..Now P11+vq=wtf =]

Misty blu is coming 4 you!
driftage240 is offline   Reply With Quote