Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
nddavis2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Vq35de swap wiring questions

I've decided to make the swap harness that I already have work though I know it needs a lot of tlc. I have some questions I need help with.

I have an s13 so what in the lower harness from the ka24de needs to be integrated into the vq harness? Also for the interior brown plug, does anything need to be integrated into it? I'm taking all the tape and mess off the harness and will heat shrink it and nylon braided sleeve along with shorten or lengthen and basically make my own custom harness out of it. I've got a bundle of wires I have to trace back and when I trace them to the ecu plus, I'll ask questions about them at that point.

I know there's some info out there about wiring a vq into an s14 however I haven't found much about an s13. I know there's not a huge difference but it's the differences that I'm asking about.
nddavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

No one? I know not a ton have done this swap but there has to be someone that can help
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
unwtdhero
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
unwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no, youre wrong a ton of people havent done this....zilvia is a bandwagon site....you need a sr or ls to be relevant here...i have a vqcoupe...hit up Jissan, he can help you. or join the vq schassis page on fb.
unwtdhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Ok I'll try jissan then. I posted I'm the vq chassis fb page but have not gotten a helpful response. I'm wondering if people that know the details are the ones selling harnesses and are afraid to give out the info for fear of losing potential customers.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
unwtdhero
BANNED

unwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-knownunwtdhero is making his/her stupidity well-known
not so much, look up Chris Hanley as well. hes not on the group, but he did my harness, and it was a good deal...he works alot, so i waited but it was done right. i intially sent my wiring and ecm to zfever, paid ungodly amount of money for nothing....sent it to chris and he did it all...and wahlah...im Logan Hartley, add me on fb
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

The annoying thing is I have a harness that will work. It will start the car and allow it to run but whoever did it had a spade connector running from the black/ yellow starter wire to the connector that runs through the body harness and allows the car to start along with another few wires I haven't been able to get help on. Not to mention the fuel pump relay was removed and jumped w a wire into both sides so that's not correct either. Add in a wire straight from the batter to the alternator with no fuse on it and I have a good combo of crap in this harness. Added you on fb Nick Davis
Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #7
unwtdhero
BANNED

yeah man sounds like a fire hazard. Some people say you dont need the relays for throttle by wire, or ecm....but Chris Hanley installed them in mine, although, when i had zfever do it originally they had zero relays installed and said it can be done.....which didnt really mean shit cause the harness didnt work. Jorge, demo is his username here, is working on a patch harness. so you could even wait for that. And from what you wrote it seems like hes using the starter wire as switchable power for the ecm....and id assume somewhere theres a constant as well....does the throttle body work?
Old 05-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
thegr8one013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You will need the lower harness for:
1. oil pressure switch
2. alternator wire (im only saying maybe because it depends on how the vq has it set up)
3. starter signal wire

The plug under the dash that the engine harness connects to you will need:
1. Ground
2. water temp
3. rpm
4. theres powers and start signal wires there i believe
5. speed sensor signal

the grey and brown plugs that the engine harness connects to the chassis near the battery you will have:
1. always hot power
2. ign on power
3. grounds
4. i honestly cant remember the rest

im letting you know get ALL of you info first of the 240 and vq wiring and then make a table of which wires will be soldered where. this alone will take about 3 full nights. then go ahead and lay everthing out in the car so you know you have it routed the way you want and then solder away.

I wired my ls1 in my s13 and after having everything planned out i still hit a few bumps on the road. it took me about a week to complete but i saved myself a lot of money and wait from trying to get one at wiring specialties.
thegr8one013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #9
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Thank you both very much for all the info. I actually think I would have been better off with starting the harness from scratch and not with a hack job of one however I will say the car would start and run fine on that harness. There are some relays wired into the lines right now which could be why they skipped out on the fuse box but I want to make sure. I have the harness 90% taken apart just don't have the portion closest to the ecu plug so i haven't broken it down wire to wire yet. Have all info for the harnesses printed out so I'm good to go on those parts. I'll lay it out and figure out what to connect where before I start hacking away.

Oh and yes the throttle body works just fine.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #10
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
thegr8one013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure you know which pin goes to what because there's alot of wwires that are the same color so a green wire can be signal on one plug and then a green wire on another plug can be something totally different and that can screw you over completely
thegr8one013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Yeah I've noticed looking through the vq harness there are numerous wires the exact color leading down to the ecu plug