Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
KA24E Performance Build For Drift??***pic***

Hey guys, Im currently working on a car that i plan on making my strict track car only. I Booted my KA24E a little while ago and had some fun with it pushing it pretty hard even tho it never really ran that great. So I decided to tear the motor down and see what it looks like inside. So im thinking about building the motor with all forged internals but i need advice if this is worth it. Some ppl have told me built KA SOHC are strong motors and hard to blow. Since this is gonna be a track car It would really make things easier if i had alittle bit of reliability and performance while im runing the engine so hard.

[img=http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8633/dscn3215pi8.jpg]

the piston walls were actually glass smooth!

So does it look worth it?? everything seemed to be in pretty good condition. It just didnt look the cleanest ever..

Some one on 240sx forums said some one put a KA24ET in there S14 running about 330 + hp and still having fun with it??

i think that would be really cool to build this motor.

Let me know what you all think of this idea.

Thanks for the time

Kody
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
mobilesuit818
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mobilesuit818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have faith in the SOHC.

I have a KA24E, with a head prepped by Javier at JG Engine Dynamics (Full Port polish, OS Valves, Springs, retainers), I also have JE Pistons and a Jim Wolf ECU.

I though I was one of the only guys out there with a SOHC.

Just to give you a comparision, I easily spin and smoke 235/16 tires with my SOHC.

PM me if you need any insight.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
DO IT I would love to see something different I am so sick of seeing bad ass s chassis cars and everytime they pop the hood its a SR way more respect if you pop the hood and its a built ass SOHC for sure man do it I would really really like to see this happen +1 SOHC FTW!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
or don't waste your money
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
NO NO its okay waste Your MONEY!!!!!!!

In the end it will all be worth it
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
ESmorz
Post Whore!

ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
or don't waste your money
To some people respect is more important.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
mobilesuit818
Zilvia Member

mobilesuit818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quality is not expensive. Its priceless.

I planned to drive in the local events with my SOHC.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
drifterdave
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
drifterdave is on the path to ruindrifterdave is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
do it! i jsut b0ught another sohc ka off my friend for 60.00 for the whole motor and im gonna tear that down and rebuild it to stock, then take the sohc in my car and fully build it, and turbo it. if u find any good sites for parts please lmk.

keeping it gangster
drifterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmorz View Post
To some people respect is more important.

this one time this guy rolled up to my house to buy parts

his shit was overheating since he just went turbo

i was like oh cool

then he popped the hood and i see an sohc

i died a little on the inside at that very moment
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
ESmorz
Post Whore!

ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
Man, I just want some fucking KFC.

But, they are closed =(
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:

i was like oh cool

Well sorry to hear that dude? But I think its cool and different and more power to you and I know a great hook up for internals for the SOHC PM me and I can get you great prices
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
My SOHC blew a month after I drove it, only tracked it once. Of course it looked horribly taken care of by the previous owner. But it gave me a reason to do an SR swap. I'm not a fan of SOHC as much anymore because things are a little harder to get to. Took me and my buddy about 3 hours trying to replace a little hose in the shape of a U that was leaking coolant right near the underside of the throttle body and intake manifold.

I'm all for it though. I wouldn't do it myself, but it would be cool to see. I know a couple guys have some pretty nice SOHC's.
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #13
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Quote:

i was like oh cool

Lol i can tell you hate me for some reason. i dont wanna make enemies on here so i hope theres no conflict.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Sooo, the only place i can seem to find is a site called.

O & J Performance Home Page

They seem to have everything i need to do this build.

I deffinatly want to cancel the MAF and go maybe... greddy emanage ??

im probly gonna need a new wirring harness because the one that i have now is given up since the weather is so cold everything is cracked and just not in good condition at all..
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #15
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
DO IT I would love to see something different I am so sick of seeing bad ass s chassis cars and everytime they pop the hood its a SR way more respect if you pop the hood and its a built ass SOHC for sure man do it I would really really like to see this happen +1 SOHC FTW!!!!

Yeah i think SOHC boosted looks sick. heres what mine looked like before i took it out..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #16
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:

i was like oh cool

Congrats, you don't like KA24Es. Unless you're going to add something useful to the thread, don't post. If you want to talk about how much you hate a particular engine, start your own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmorz View Post
Man, I just want some fucking KFC.

But, they are closed =(
I see another post like this from you and it'll be a 2 month vacation from Zilvia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
Yeah i think SOHC boosted looks sick. heres what mine looked like before i took it out..

That looks pretty nice.

To the OP, any engine can be made to perform. KA24Es used to be used in GT3 racing here in the US (albeit in a high-comp carbureted form which saw rebuilds very frequently) to the tune of ~300hp.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #17
drifterdave
Leaky Injector

drifterdave is on the path to ruindrifterdave is on the path to ruin
hey check out import performance parts.com they have a "performance" rebuld kit for the ka24e. im not sure on quailty though.

keeping it gangster
drifterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #18
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
Congrats, you don't like KA24Es. Unless you're going to add something useful to the thread, don't post. If you want to talk about how much you hate a particular engine, start your own thread.

I see another post like this from you and it'll be a 2 month vacation from Zilvia.

That looks pretty nice.

To the OP, any engine can be made to perform. KA24Es used to be used in GT3 racing here in the US (albeit in a high-comp carbureted form which saw rebuilds very frequently) to the tune of ~300hp.
Hey, thank you for the back up i really appriciate it!! yeah ive put alotta hard work into this car because drifting is my passion even tho i havent participated in the sport long i admire it greatly. Im hoping i can start saving up again to start ordering parts. What do you suggest i order first ?? I cant afford everything at once so i plan on just getting things one by one and slowly peice the motor back together.

Thanks again

kody
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #19
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Keep track of dollar amount you're going to spend before buying anything - SRs are cheap, and much better for boosting and beating up at the track than single cam KAs.

My stock SR also spins 235's easily. And revs out decently well. And it's cheap to maintain/replace. And I can re-sell it if I have to. Those are all maybes with your rebuilt SOHC idea.

DO NOT just start buying parts with no total budget - you will regret it in 6 months, when you try to put it back together, and find you're still hundreds of $$$ short, and can't sell any of it because everyone who's graduated from SOHC knows that they're AIDS.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
I had a built SOHC, nothing wrong with building them/turboing them. You just want to make sure you do it right the first time.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #21
SleepyS-14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
SleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
GSXR ^ That was terrible ^

I am not saying either way but you have a terrible argument.

1. Sr's are cheap... ha. SOHC are free

2. Sr's are cheap to maintain... ha. SOHC, you can get everything at autozone
SleepyS-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyS-14 View Post

You'd build a motor for boost with autozone parts?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
SleepyS-14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
SleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
For water pumps, starters,gaskets and all kinds of good shit. Not timing parts though. Hell yeah.
SleepyS-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
jrbump
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
jrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond reputejrbump has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My good friend who I share a garage with had a very nicely built KA24E-T with everything done right and solid rom tuning, we used to work on it every weekend. I used to joke that we better start buying head gaskets at costco, like a 12 pack or something.

Now he has an SR and we beat on it every weekend.

I like the weekends so much better now.

I'll link him to this thread, he can give better insight beyond my "quality of life" comments.
jrbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Ha, true story. So much money dumped into it, and in the end, it just wasn't what I wanted. NA+T in my experience (beyond my own motor) is a finnicky beast, with lots of little shit that needs attention.

My build was very similar to fromxtor's -- built single cam, jgs manifold and whatnot. It was definitely a torquey sunnuvabitch, but power fell off up top. Obviously there's a lot of material that you can take out of the head, but headwork and a cam is even more money. I could have easily bought an SR instead of building a sohc, but I didn't. Live and learn. Do I regret it? Not at all. I learned a ton from doing it.

In the end I'm much happier with my bolt-on redtop, though. It makes less power and less torque, but it actually revs, has proven more reliable, and gets better gas mileage to boot (not that that really matters). It's also nice to be able to buy downpipes, fmic kits, etc. off the shelf without having to fabricate (I didn't buy the jgs dp stuff, just had a friend help me build my own).
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #26
txrxs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
txrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:

i was like oh cool

Cool, that was me.

I was running no fan shroud on a stock radiator. Like I said when I popped the hood it's not surprising the car was overheating as I was in stop and go traffic for about 30 minutes prior to getting to your parents house. I suppose I wouldn't have driven the car 3 hours if I was worried about it breaking down.

Like most of zilvia, it's very easy to judge people based on what you've read or what will make you a cool guy on here. You have a stock car yet you can judge other people? You and 90% of the forum with stock/non-running cars that always comment on weak fitment or other "cool guy zilvia" topics, yet don't walk the walk themselves.

Anyways, to the OP. If your motor is in good shape then you will be fine. It really boils down to budget. Don't cheap out on important stuff and the motor will last the same as any other motor.

Last edited by txrxs; 01-02-2009 at 12:15 PM..
txrxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #27
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Thank you, OP. I've also thought about doing a KA24ET. Granted, I have an advantage, my current SOHC has about 71k miles on it. It all depends on how you build it; if you're like a lot of KA-T'ers, you'll just throw a bunch of ghetto ass parts together, but if you take your time and get the right parts, it'll be a great little motor.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
Where is rep when you need it.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyS-14 View Post

Rebuilt SOHC's are not cheap. My argument is that SR's are cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
You'd build a motor for boost with autozone parts?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Ha, true story. So much money dumped into it, and in the end, it just wasn't what I wanted. ...
In the end I'm much happier with my bolt-on redtop, though....
Goddamn, I guess I knew what I was talking about. Did he mention all of the things I originally did, with the addition of gas mileage? I believe he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrxs View Post
Cool, that was me.

*crappy pic removed*

I was running no fan shroud on a stock radiator. Like I said when I popped the hood it's not surprising the car was overheating as I was in stop and go traffic for about 30 minutes prior to getting to your house. I suppose I wouldn't have driven the car 3 hours if I was worried about it breaking down.

Like most of zilvia, it's very easy to judge people based on what you've read or what will make you a cool guy on here. You have a stock car yet you can judge other people? You and 90% of the forum with stock/non-running cars that always comment on weak fitment or other "cool guy zilvia" topics, yet don't walk the walk themselves.

Anyways, to the OP. If your motor is in good shape then you will be fine. It really boils down to budget. Don't cheap out on important stuff and the motor will last the same as any other motor.
I guess I'm the other 10% that can safely tell you you're living on borrowed time with an old NA motor and a GT28RS? slapped on there. Oh, and taking your fan shroud out? Great idea - that's why you overheated, not because you're turbo'd.

Originality be damned, show me one person who's owned an SR and decided to SOHC-T their next car. It's just a bad plan, on any budget.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #30
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
i had an sohc for years... its probably one of the least efficient motors out there, a complete dog with torque, thats it. not worth building.

the SR has so many improvements that the KA-E is not worth wasting a dime on. talk to a reputable motor shop about how much it costs to properly "build" a motor, you're looking a shitload of money. you're better off picking up a used SR and calling it a day. spend your extra time and money in better ways...

as far as motors go, i could care less what motor is in a car as long as it enables the car to drive the way a sportscar is supposed to drive.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote