Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
weirdchris555
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
weirdchris555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Help Removing SR Crank Pulley

Well guys, I hit a roadblock. I cant for the life of me get that damn crank pully off. Got the bolt off but cant get that pully. Went to advance auto and they dont rent out like anything (tried to get a pully puller and a timing light and they dont rent them) since there is not an autozone near me. So I bought what was shown in the picture below and went to go use it but all it did was bend the cheapy metal. I put it around that one thats closest to the block. If this is the general design as to the right tool to use, we are going to make one at work tomorrow. Can anyone pinpoint the correct way to remove the pulley? FSM just says "sutable puller" and pulls from the inside it looks. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
weirdchris555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
pndjones
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
pndjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Mine was a little hard to get off too, I used a pry bar because I was too cheap and too lazy to get a pulley puller. First I sprayed liquid wrench where the crank and pulley touch. I then tapped the pulley with a hammer and pried the pulley. It took some working but it eventually came off. Just be careful and remember your timing cover is made of aluminium so you have to watch how much you pry. Hope this helps. Thats my two cents maybe someone on here has a better idea.
pndjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Heavy duty puller. find one. No autozone? Try sears, walmart, etc...no rent? Then buy.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can try using a torch to heat the pulley up a bit. Metal expands when heated so if you can heat the pulley up enough it should give you a bit more wiggle room. And I too pryed it off from the back using 2 flat head screw drivers. Keep them on opposite sides and just apply pressure to both sides evenly so it doesnt get crooked and stuck, but be careful as stated before, your timing cover is aluminum.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I use a Heavy duty 3claw puller. I hear everyone having a hard time removing Crank Pulley, I never actually had an issue. mine came off pretty easily.
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
JDMRIDDAZ
Zilvia Junkie

JDMRIDDAZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I used the pry bar method...
It always works...
Tho i never had a stuck one
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Arireese
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
Arireese is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
mine came right off..only issue i had was i pulled my front main seal out with a coilover wrench, worked perfect except i knocked the key from the keyway on the floor lol.
Arireese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
You can try using a torch to heat the pulley up a bit. Metal expands when heated so if you can heat the pulley up enough it should give you a bit more wiggle room. And I too pryed it off from the back using 2 flat head screw drivers. Keep them on opposite sides and just apply pressure to both sides evenly so it doesnt get crooked and stuck, but be careful as stated before, your timing cover is aluminum.
Using a torch on the main pulley would be a baaaaaad idea. The stock SR pulley are 2 pieces held together by a rubber center that acts as the crank balancer.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Using a torch on the main pulley would be a baaaaaad idea. The stock SR pulley are 2 pieces held together by a rubber center that acts as the crank balancer.
I did not know that. -1 for me, +1 to you for catching it. Just another reason why suggestions on here should not be taken as statements of fact. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle..........
OP-Sorry for the misinformation. I guess just go buy a real pulley puller and use some anti-sieze when you put it back on. Make the next time easier on yourself.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Spray the living crap out of it with PB blaster, pry bar it all around gently. Dont wanna crack the pulley.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
budlite
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
budlite is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
angle pry bar, go side to side not to much pressure and wiggle it off, take ur sweet baby jesus time
budlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
weirdchris555
Leaky Injector

weirdchris555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys. Got it off with a 3 jaw puller. Heavy duty borrowed from work. It fought me the whole way off though. Tough little thing. Lol much better oil pressure now.
weirdchris555 is offline   Reply With Quote