Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
mantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Tuning how did you get started?

I do not know if this has been covered, but im sure there are plenty of guys on zilvia that have tuned their own cars. Im not talking about the pros just the average Joe who acquired enough knowledge over the years and made the leap into tuning his or a friends car. So how did you know it was time or why did you end up tuning your own car versus taking it to a shop. I feel as if i have enough knowledge to start but not quite sure i want to learn the hard way by overlooking some critical part and destroying my engine. Ive met quite a few people (amateurs like myself) that tuned their own cars successfully. So i just want some input into whats the best way to start etc. I have a nistune board and i understand the ins and outs just not sure if i want to make the leap lol. The primary reason as to why i want to do this myself - i understand a shop will not be able to get me to a perfect tune in a matter of a few days. Yes i might get a bitching tune but often times you need some serious time to perfect the maps and account for temperature changes etc. and as a side note - ill have a friend do my initial tune (starting with base maps) then i want to be able to workout any kinks if there are any. If anyone has any pointers id really appreciate it, and if you want to just flame me go right ahead no fucks will be given. Thanks in advance.
mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Honestly, I read as much as I could but starting from scratch on a tune isnt something I was willing to take on. SO, I got a map from Steve Shadows, use that a starting map, tweaked it and used it for my own. Considering it was my first tune, I managed to make 380whp on my RB25.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Honestly, I read as much as I could but starting from scratch on a tune isnt something I was willing to take on. SO, I got a map from Steve Shadows, use that a starting map, tweaked it and used it for my own. Considering it was my first tune, I managed to make 380whp on my RB25.
That is sort of the route i was planning to take but was going to have my friend do the initial tweaks to the base map. He has tuned about 7 rb cars and an sr also his ka-t, and he is a software engineer so i trust his knowledge/skills lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Read general books about engines and performance engines. Understand how they work. Once it is done, you should be able to analyse your particular engine and see what to do to make it better.

The average knowledgeable joe does not tune other people car for free. When it is free, it usually means the tuner is trying things, he does not really know what he is doing.

Once someone knows what he is doing, he starts to charge for his work. Because it IS work, because people will blame him for tuning their cars poorly (tuning works only on maintained cars, remember) and so on.

I decided not to tune other people car, because to me it is not worth it. Friend of mine opened a tuning shop, and from what i can see, there is no way i am doing that on anyones car... a lot of people who ask for a tune have various problems that need to be solved before mapping. I dont have the patience to tell again and again "do things right", so i am not turning pro (i already have a job, sitting in front of a computer with climate control, no physical activity, pays well... why should i change ?)
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
mantas
Zilvia Addict

I took the same route as far as the reading is concerned and my friend will charge me a couple hundred mainly for his time and a license fee for the software he purchased, so wont be a free lunch to be exact. I would not tune anyones car unless i was a pro and believe me i know an engine/car has to be flawless before tuning ever becomes an option, otherwise its like trying to run with crutches, wont be going anywhere fast and will probably end up falling numerous times. With that being said im only interested in making tweaks to the tune once its been done. Something else ive learned from books about engines and tunning - my car desperately needs a tune because the mods it has right now are detrimental to the power output. Most of the mods were done by the previous owner but i was not aware of the downfall they created until recently.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Used to think its an input output game, but its not. Tuning is really an art and the more you do it, the better the art is. It takes practice.

That is why I just leave it to the expert now. If you want to just get things running well it is what it is.....

Load bearing dynos like dyno dynamics is the only way to get you a street type tune. I don't non-load bearing dynos like dynopak or dynojets because you can't simulate loads you see of the street... which is pretty dangerous and useless...

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Used to think its an input output game, but its not. Tuning is really an art and the more you do it, the better the art is. It takes practice.

That is why I just leave it to the expert now. If you want to just get things running well it is what it is.....

Load bearing dynos like dyno dynamics is the only way to get you a street type tune. I don't non-load bearing dynos like dynopak or dynojets because you can't simulate loads you see of the street... which is pretty dangerous and useless...

Just my 2 cents
Dynapacks use real hydraulic load brakes, so ah yeah, probably was great idea!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
I just started...read a lot...a lot of trial and error...hmmm what about 2003 now wow can't believe it's been that long! 10 years! woot.

Bought a wideband and thermocouple then that progressed to meetings someone nice enough to let them use their dyno on a regular basis.

Really lucky you can check out his shop here www.canyonracermotorsports.com

And then it just kept progressing. Building your own max hp project car works. I focused on squeezing 500 hp out of stock block sr first.

GL!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
I just started...read a lot...a lot of trial and error...hmmm what about 2003 now wow can't believe it's been that long! 10 years! woot.

Bought a wideband and thermocouple then that progressed to meetings someone nice enough to let them use their dyno on a regular basis.

Really lucky you can check out his shop here www.canyonracermotorsports.com

And then it just kept progressing. Building your own max hp project car works. I focused on squeezing 500 hp out of stock block sr first.

GL!
Did not expect a response from someone of your stature. Thank you for the pointers, im sure i wont climb through the ranks like you did but will give it a shot after i "shadow" my friend or watch a few people (see what i did there?). Im the type of person that does not proceed with something unless all bases are covered and all of the required information is on the table. But 2003 huh? Long time...heard great things about your tuning abilities no wonder you are still running the show around so cal haha.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
ballares

ballares is an unknown quantity at this point
Dynapacks use real hydraulic load brakes, so ah yeah, probably was great idea!
ballares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Still there is a lot more to tuning than just the base K, VE/VQ, fuel and timing maps. These are just the very basics, but there are so many other things you can control - and have to, if you want something operating smoothly. injector latency, dwell time, injector command vs voltage, starting procedure, load protection, timing vs temp, enrichment vs temp, enrichment vs throttle position ... just to name a few. the first time i operated nistune i was like "woah, didnt expect that much, back to books".

I think i started learning about EMS in 2006. I mostly had knowledge about 2 strokes engines and NA 4 stokes with carbs and mechanical timing distributors. Getting sequential/batch injection system, programmable timing, MAF sensor and turbocharger was a real shock I still have a long way to go though.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Still there is a lot more to tuning than just the base K, VE/VQ, fuel and timing maps. These are just the very basics, but there are so many other things you can control - and have to, if you want something operating smoothly. injector latency, dwell time, injector command vs voltage, starting procedure, load protection, timing vs temp, enrichment vs temp, enrichment vs throttle position ... just to name a few. the first time i operated nistune i was like "woah, didnt expect that much, back to books".

I think i started learning about EMS in 2006. I mostly had knowledge about 2 strokes engines and NA 4 stokes with carbs and mechanical timing distributors. Getting sequential/batch injection system, programmable timing, MAF sensor and turbocharger was a real shock I still have a long way to go though.
Talking about basic tuning. My first tunes were, not really tunes at all, just removal of speed limits and raising rev limits. Back in the early days, I had to do this with a hex editor.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote