Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Removing aftermarket steering wheel

OK heres the scoop, i need to fix me horn and i wanna do it right. I have a steering wheel puller and it aint ganna do it, im going tommorro to get a pulley puller instead.But if that dont work does anyone have any ideas? or does anyone know what type of pulley pullers work best.? im prolly ganna end up with the 3 offset slots type.(donnu what its really called) But i have seen many types... any input would be great, only asking for help because this REALLY pisssed me off! simple right?-false.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
spoolandslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Location: lost in a bump splice in the fabric of our clockwork
Trader Rating: (12)
spoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfectionspoolandslide is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
just sit in your drivers seat and take the 19mm steering wheel nut off. grab the wheel at 10 and t2, push up with your knees at 5 and 7 and jiggle it till it comes off
spoolandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
blackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackrms13
loosen the nut but dont take it off completely, just have your hand at 3 and 9 position and rock back n forth until the wheel comes loose

but for a aftermarket wheel, u can probably just use the hex key and get the wheel off and leaving the hub on
Old 08-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ That's not a bad plan. The pulley puller most likely won't work (at least I haven't seen one that works). Sucks you didn't do it right the first time... I'm guessing you have to take the hub off because you didn't connect the one wire that goes to the horn?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
TUBE

Trader Rating: (0)
TUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of lightTUBE is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TUBE
240SX Steering Wheel Swap

All the info you need to take it off.
TUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
^^^ That's not a bad plan. The pulley puller most likely won't work (at least I haven't seen one that works). Sucks you didn't do it right the first time... I'm guessing you have to take the hub off because you didn't connect the one wire that goes to the horn?
^said proper... Yea i was in the parking lot of the parts store because i couldnt afford the deposit, so i rushed it... DOH! The 19mm is off and i need to pull the hub so i can find the one horn wire.So ill do some violent shaking!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

OK thats not ganna do it, im a decently stong person but it wont budge. I understand leaving the nut on, if that thing did come of it would knock the shit outa me. Its still on, im just afraid the hub will be bent be the puller.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
It's not so much pulling straight back (you'll never get it off), but pushing on one side, pulling the other. You're trying to "bend" it off the spline. If your hub is as shitty quality as mine is, I'd be afraid of what a pulley puller would do to it also lol.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
500Coupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
500Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Have you tried a 3 jaw puller?

Build Blog
500Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
240=180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
240=180 has a spectacular aura about240=180 has a spectacular aura about240=180 has a spectacular aura about240=180 has a spectacular aura about240=180 has a spectacular aura about240=180 has a spectacular aura about240=180 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
lol.....

step 1- take off nut and leave wheel on hub

step 2- take key out of ignition and lock steering

step 3- forcefully turn wheel left and right while pulling back

wheel should come off like nothing.... mine came off within a few seconds using that method
240=180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I've pulled over a hundred wheels by now and never used a puller. Just do as suggested, 'rock' the wheel off the splines by shifting it side to side and up/down.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Don't be scared to break a sweat. Work that shit. It may take anywhere from 5-20minutes of jiggling but it will come off.
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The most I've done was used a rubber mallet and tap the wheel gently. Otherwise hitting the circumference of the wheel with my palm has always worked.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
The most I've done was used a rubber mallet and tap the wheel gently. Otherwise hitting the circumference of the wheel with my palm has always worked.
i use the palm trick works after like 10 min but it works.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Yeah, I've removed countless wheels and hubs. Just unscrew the 19mm a little bit but not all the way and then rock the wheel as you pull with a few jolts.

What people mess up on is tightening the 19mm too much.

You're only supposed to torque it down to like 20ftlbs.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post

You're only supposed to torque it down to like 20ftlbs.
Close. 22-29 ft-lbs as per the FSM.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #17
initial D
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
initial D is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what about the little screw behind the wheel under the steering column covers?
initial D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

For some of you that missed it, its already after market. I have pulled the stock unit a long time ago. And I got it off, i used a pulley puller, its was 12$. The 3 jaw type.Then i sodered the horn wire to the metal ring in the hub. Oh yea,I havent had power steering for a while so thats prolly why it was such a biatch, pwr steering is next to fix.Thanx for all the input, ill remember those methods next time, or if a friend has the same prob.