Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:36 AM   #1
Glovesy6

Trader Rating: (0)
Glovesy6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo gasket replacement

Hey guys,

Recently found that I have a slight leak caused by a blown gasket from the turbo to the manifold, anyone have a good guide on the replacement of this gasket?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glovesy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #2
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
C'mon!

From a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Dude...

Take off the turbo/downpipe
Put new gasket in
Reinstall turbo and downpipe
Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Glovesy6

How do you remove the turbo? That's what I'm getting at

Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
With the four bolts? Lol
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Glovesy6

The manifold to the turbos gasket is stuffed. How do I remove the manifold to get to the gasket?

Old 04-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Lol, people on Zilvia can get pretty wild and agressive if you ask noob questions like these.

This has been covered multiple times, please search on the internet (Google as search engine), "how to remove Sr20det turbo".
Good Luck
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
Elbow grease and a set of wrenches you genius.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #9
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
1. Jack up front of car
2. Remove forward section of exhaust up to turbo/turbo outlet elbow
3. Remove air filter, vacuum lines, hoses, electrical plug on MAFS etc.
4. Remove turbo inlet pipe and hot pipe
5. Remove anything else that may be in your way, including coolant/oil lines to turbo & turbo oil drain (rubber hose underneath)
6. Remove 8 bolts holding exhaust manifold to cylinder head
7. Wiggle manifold free and lift out of engine bay
8. Now that you have the manifold with the turbo connected to it out of the car, disconnect 4 bolts holding turbo to manifold, remove turbo and replace the gasket.
9. Put it all back together. preferably with new exhaust manifold and exhaust gaskets too since you're breaking the seal(s)

Tools needed: wrenches, screwdriver(s) and elbow grease as stated above.

If you can't follow this, google search is your friend (as also stated above)

--Careful what you ask here - Not a lot of sympathy for someone who clearly hasn't lifted a finger to even try before asking the question. You are much more likely to get help if you at least got halfway into this and were stuck somewhere.

Mike
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I did this yesterday. Little by little the details will flow into the thread from bored knowledgable folks, don't worry about all the fat fingers.

How so very, Very important it is to remove old carbon from the mating surfaces (this took 30~ minutes with a block and emery cloth / sand paper, and wire wheel)
-use brand new OEM nissan gaskets, and OEM locking tabs to secure the brand new metric nuts grade 10. I used prevailing torque locking nuts from bolt-depot.
To tighten the manifold to the engine and turbo, you will want to use the two-wrench trick wherever possible (6 out of 8 center nuts of manifold, and 3 out of 4 of the turbo nuts), and a half-inch drive 14mm on the outer 2x nuts of the exhaust manifold. For the last nut on the turbo I just used an open end... the longest craftsman 12mm I could find.
And to prevent this from happening again, You NEED absolutely REQUIRE the downpipe -> transmission mount bracket installed, nice and tight, holding the exhaust up.

If using a cheap downpipe, it may not line up just right (it really is a custom fit) and have the proper geometry for supporting the rest of the exhaust. highly recommend a JIC or Greddy or simlar.

cans of brake cleaner: 2
paper towels: 4
cuts that made me stop for a minute to soak up the blood: 1

You will probably bleed gl
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nobody told him about the bathroom breaks!

Sent from a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Nobody told him about the bathroom breaks!

Sent from a Highly Tuned Note 4.5!!!
Hahaha,
OP will be working too hard taking the turbo off, to have time for bathroom breaks, lol
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote