Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Mooch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Road to the 2013 Evergreen ProAm series

A little background about me. I grew up around road racing, my parents raced in SCCA in the Northwest so I naturally grew into cars. My brother did his first SR swap in 2003/04, and started drifting around on the streets. Being in middle school, I tried to go as much as I could. I knew I always wanted to try it but never got a chance when I was younger. I attempted a couple of SR builds but money was the over-all demise of those.

Drifting locally was non-existent so I had to change that. I did one event in 2011, and I was hooked. Started a partnership with the local circle track and have been hosting open drifts ever since. This will be my 2nd year hosting SLD events and it's growing pretty good.

So last year was pretty much my first year ever drifting, I did a total of one drift day before the 2012 season so I was in for a lot. I decided to compete in the EVD grassroots series and shoot for every event (keep in mind I live 5 hours away from Monroe). The first event of the season, I made it to the top 8 and got knocked out. Placed 5th and felt super good about it.

Ended up making every grassroots event for the 2012 season and ended up 5th overall for the season. I learned a lot from other drivers and learned a lot about myself as well. I love competing and pushing for more so only natural that I'd wanna go further.

I wanted to start building the car up being that it was a coupe so I swapped everything from that to a decent hatch shell, I shouldn't have.

(No cage tandems all daaaaay!)

Got it all finished up towards the end of the 2012 season, competed in the last Evergreen Drift Grassroots series and seemed to do decent. And then the inevitable happened...I hadn't wrecked all season and it finally happened at our last local event (Stateline Drift).

Long story short, it was my fault but it happens. It's drifting. Bought the shell for $200, sold it for $200.

I started to think about 2013 and where I wanted to go and how far I wanted to take it. Like I said, it was only natural for me to keep competing and since the 3/8th's didn't offer the excitement I wanted, I looked towards the 5/8th's.

I've always dreamed of the 5/8th's, it seemed like that's where all the fun was. Fast, rowdy, loud, it was all there. I told myself that ProAm was the goal, and I haven't turned back. I picked up a job in North Dakota making decent money and it started...

I once again swapped over all useable parts from the old shell and started fresh. The parts I ran on the old cars were pretty limited but I made due.
-Custom lengthened/boxed FLCA's 1"
-Custom lengthened inner tie rods
-Custom modded knuckles
-Cusco RUCA's
-Fortune Auto 500 coilovers
-Welded diff
-Works Bell hub and quick release
-Momo Suede 350mm wheel
-Stock SR20det on 10psi
-Custom half pint front mount setup
-300zx front brake setup

That's about all it was. Super basic setup compared to a lot of people competing and half my junk was broke or old. I some how managed to make it work so I didn't change it.

I knew that ProAm would bring a lot of challenges so I did what everyone does and ditched the SR setup for an LSx style motor. After purchasing an all aluminum 5.3 from Pull & Save, and a T56 from Michigan, I was set...until I got on Craig'slist. I returned it all and picked up a first gen Camaro LS1 / t56 combo that luckily, came with the full harness and ECM.

A deal at $4000.

We broke into the shell a bit and immediately knew the front had to come off so we could fab a tube front for easy rebuild and a little more room to play with things.

While I was away in North Dakota, my close friend and amazing fabricator JJ started to build the new cage.

We tried our best to get close to the roof line and a pillar bar, we feel like it came out pretty good. All the remainder space will be braced with sheeting. Reading through the 2013 Formula D rulebook, I noticed a slight change in the door bar rules, which helped ever so slightly.

Both the driver and passenger side will have factory door panels with useable window mechanism's. Completely FD legal and I'm stoked! We also went in and put the anti-intrusion bars in which is another 2013 updated rule.

As of now, the interior cage is completely done and work has just started on the tube front which should be mostly done this weekend.

During this past winter, working in North Dakota, I was very bored when not working. So I got to work on finding support in my goals for the 2013 season. I am very very happy with everyone who has helped through out the off season and can't wait to see what we can do this year.

First off, we got the motor and trans in and mounted up without headers in a little under an hour thanks to Fueled Racing and there amazing mount kit. Call this a shameless plug but anyone who has used their stuff, understands. No pounding on the firewall, no mods, no stress. It literally slipped in and mounted up with no trouble. Every piece they make is 100% made in the US and is the best quality offered! I honestly can't say enough good things about them.

I went with their full mount kit along with their wilwood clutch system.

We still have yet to mount the headers because they just came in today. We also need to build the exhaust system and check out the clutch to see what it looks like!

The radiator in the picture was for mock purposes but everything is in and super solid. We grabbed a MAF off eBay and still need to fab up an intake setup but it'll have to wait till the front end is done.

Being in the Northwest, it was a no brainier on where to find my steering needs...

The Era1 dudes are nothing but awesome. Jesse and the whole crew are a bunch of rad dudes who are pushing for the best in the drift culture. I strongly believe these to be the best knuckle system out right now. The fiancé and I took a trip over to Seattle to pick everything up and was more then surprised.

I picked them up in raw form so I could have them powder coated in which ever color I came up with. I hate decisions, so it may take a minute to decide. But I can't wait to bolt them up and break them in properly. Era1 is only about a year old but already taking over with there huge amount of R&D and great attitude!

Fortune Auto is also helping me this season and I'm super stoked on that. I've only ever ran Fortune Auto, all last year and again, all this year. I've never once had a problem with their coils and they definitely are some of the best mid-range coilover (500 series). I've actually turned a lot of local drivers onto them and again, nothing but good reviews.

I've got a load of orders coming in to help complete this project and hopefully, in time for it's debut track day on March 24th. We still have a lot to go, lots of fabrication and stress but with the help of all of my friends and family, I know I'll be able to obtain my goals for the year.

Thank you to my Fiancé Kara, JJ for the fab work and knowledge, Trais Taylor for the motivation and help, my parents, Fueled Racing, Fortune Auto and Era1.

I'll keep updating this as parts and work get done and in the mean time, I'll keep growing my beard! Thanks for viewing.

Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Mooch
Leaky Injector

I got in on a Racetech group buy and picked up an RT1000. I love this seat. Great comfort and support. Also FIA certified. My fiancé also picked up a seat this past winter. Unsure of the model but it's a Signal Auto. Never been mounted!

Might be kind of weird having the driver seat black and the passenger red but oh well.

Last edited by Mooch; 10-14-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Mooch
Leaky Injector

I've got a bunch of updates that I'll post up tomorrow since its late but two Summit orders, one Speedway order and still not done. I'm just hoping to make it to Nissan Fest in Monroe, WA.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
I've got a bunch of updates that I'll post up tomorrow since its late but two Summit orders, one Speedway order and still not done. I'm just hoping to make it to Nissan Fest in Monroe, WA.
Awesome, I don't think I'll make it though. More pictures!
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Mooch
Leaky Injector

One of the best packages I've received in the past couple days were my BattleVersion rear upper control arms and rear toe arms. These things are awesome, super sturdy and high quality. Last year, I ran all year on crappy old school JIC RUCA's and ran like 3-4 degrees of negative camber. Trying to do everything proper this year since the caliber of driving in ProAm is completely different then grassroots.

I'll be buying the rest of the s13 arms as soon as I get more money. I'm especially excited about the front lower control arms, with the Era1 knuckles the steering should be on point. My brother and I have decided to paint the car ourselves and we're going with a blood red/maroon color, almost like what comes on the mid 2000 Forester.

I got with my builder and tried to come up with a final shopping list of what we needed to make it for the 24th of March. So, 3 Summit orders and one Speedway order later, we're almost finished. Just a couple of things around town and most of the car should be done.

I'll take pictures of all the parts when they come in!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Got some parts in today. I thought it was my last orders from Summit and Speedway Motors but I was wrong.

Everything that came in this round.
-Autometer 5" tach
-Autometer 2-5/8" Oil Pressure and Water Temp
-Racequip tow loops
-Corvette Fuel Reg/Filter kit with AN fittings
-Moroso switch panel
-Battery kill switch
-ARP header bolts
-Ls1 headers gaskets
-Spectre 90 degree elbow (for intake)
-Woodward 1" die

And I'm sure I'm forgetting other little random things. Also ran around town picking up 2 gauge wire for the battery relocation, aluminum sheet for the Canton Accusump enclosure and other random bits.

Finally was able to get over to my buddies to get some stuff done and figure out a game plan. The t56 came with some no-name, to me, shifter but first and second gear came super close to the ebrake.

Took the bottom to a grinder so I could flip the shifter and push it further away from the ebrake. Came out decent, just need to sand and pretty it up.

Through the Fueled Racing headers on to check clearance (knowing it wasn't an issue) and there awesome to say the least. Probably won't heat wrap them but will throw heat booties on the plug wires.

Driver side

Passenger side

Definitely diggin' how everything is fitting up so far. Of course, we made another shopping list. This time, for all of the AN fittings and lines needed for the Accusump bulkhead and fuel lines. Feels like everything is coming together, just need to put pen to paper and start buttoning everything up.

I picked up a Woodward 1" die with a 3" radius so we could start bending up the front end. Trying to get all of the welding done by the end of the weekend. We'll see if it happens.

Snagged a picture of the Moroso switch panel. Can't wait to wire it up and start this bitch.

And in the mean time, I drank some good beer.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Was able to get a couple small things done last night. My goal of driving for the open drift on the 24th is looking grim. NissanFest is my main goal and will be my first time driving the 5/8th's bank. We'll see how it goes.

Finished up the cat hump delete. We'll go through and completely weld it up, grind it down to make it look good. Now we can get the seat in.

Also finished the harness bar real quick. And finished up the driver side door bar but forgot to grab a picture of it. Can't wait to get the seat mounted and feel it out a bit.

Threw the Era1 knuckles into the cabinet and got them sand blasted and ready for powder coating. I think I'll end up doing them in grey along with the interior and engine bay.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Radiator from Howe Racing came in, need to get it mounted up and plumbed.

Front end done. Time to finish all the small bits. The main supports are DOM 1.5"x.120 wall. Rad/headlight support is HREW 1"x.095 or some junk.

Drank more good beer.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Very nice build! beard is awesome too
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Haha, thanks Motary!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looking good dude!
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Thanks Devol! I'm hoping to get it started up in the next two weeks or so.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Just traded a dual cam KA that I put together in an hour for a 1993 coupe, come up for sure.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
S13MATT
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
S13MATT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Sweet looking build bro!
S13MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
DET240SX
Leaky Injector

DET240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Any update on this build yet?? Good luck!
DET240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Sitting here tipping October and I finally had the car out for it's first open drift last Sunday. I let self motivation slip away and made some decisions that I don't regret at all. Unfortunately, I missed all ProAm events for the year but even more so, I was opened up to different scenarios of drifting. I watched Drift Safari driver Trent wreck hard on the 5/8th's sending him to the hospital with back injuries, most devastating wreck I've personally have watched. And then watched my good friend drive his newly done comp car nose first into a wall (no injury).

On the flip side, I attended a lot of open drift's with lots of good friends and met a lot of new people through out the scene. It has both pushed my excitement for fun events to a new level but also grew my new for competition. With the season almost over in the Pacific Northwest, I'm just going to play out the winter how ever it unfolds and do as I want, not as I feel is needed. Cause truly, tomorrow is never promised.

In the next post, I'm going to try and catch everyone up and eye rape you dudes with a lot of text and photo's.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Kind of starting where I left off. I finally lined someone up to get this painted and finally had the tune front and all the little things welded up. I hauled the car over to a friends house and did some light prep work. Everything seemed to be going ok until I started rolling the passenger side rear fender. Found some filler so it made for un-even fender rolling/pulling. I was unhappy but what can you do. Knowing that I eventually wanted wide fenders, I left it be.

Met the guy who would be painting the car, seemed pretty cool. Older hot rod guy who does a lot of the painting for circle track dudes. Got the car on a trailer and sent it off and was told it would be a 2 week turn around. I have come to greatly hate relying on others to do work I just don't have the tools myself.

Along with many other pieces of this build, I decided to switch up the paint as well. I've always enjoyed black cars and how well they fit in and seem proper. I decided on an 80's Chrysler Jet Black with more metallic flake in the clear. And I had the engine bay and interior done in Battleship Gray for a clean and subtle look.

The car ended up taking almost a full month to get back and I was already way behind a deadline I wanted to reach (I was getting pretty bummed at this point). And upon receiving the car, I was further distraught by the lack of time that was put into certain area's, given that painting was his full time job. But, there was nothing I could do and when it boils down, it was free (paid for by a sponsor) so repairs and resprays were easy to come by.

I was hoping for the engine bay and interior to have a clear coat shot over the top for durability but it came out decent. It'll end up being redone some time in the future. And the exterior came out alright, a few clear coat runs and small fish eye area's. I tell myself it's a drift car and it shouldn't matter but it's my first decent build and I want something that looks good and is photogenic.

Tried to show the pearl as much as an iPhone would allow. It pops pretty good in the sunlight and I'm happy with color overall. I immediately took the car back to my buddies shop and dropped the motor back in and try to assemble everything and salvage what we could, mid season.

I believe it was May or June at this point, so all I wanted to do was finish and go drive. I had a the PCM reflashed with an HP Tuner and set everything where we wanted it. Also hooked up with ACT Clutch to run their 6 puck sprung setup with lightweight flywheel. This is a heavy duty setup and as most know, can hold a great amount of torque. Got everything in the car and it came down to wiring and other small bits.

The car sat at my friends shop about 45 minutes away so it was a hassle getting off work and driving over. On top of this, the guy helping with all the fabrication work got pretty sick and was no longer working on the car. I finally made the decision to pull everything out of his shop and take it back to my garage (my fiancé wasn't too happy with my choice but allowed it). This is where motivation got to an all time low.

Having to run three drift events in a three weekends every month doesn't allow for anything to get done. I was completely over building the car but sitting out from all the fun was depressing. Nothing about the v8 was exciting to me at the moment and I got bored so I did a 180 and picked up a buddy's SR

It's mostly stock besides a few bolt on's, still t25. Threw it in real quick and started going at the wiring to work with my switch panel. My brother came over and took some random photos. Car looks like shit, it needs a wash and some attention on the body but I have been enjoying the car much more now.

I traded off the LS for a base model 1jz with 5 speed (horrible w58) and $1500 cash on top. The goal was to find an x8 Cressida shell and have a fun sedan to drive around town in. I should know by now that plans are just plans that aren't in writing.

That's a cock with semen if you couldn't see it.

All my friends wanted me to just finish something and start driving, and that's all I wanted to do as well but I've always had an urge to trade off cars and parts. The trend still continues.

I ran into some minor wiring and Ecu issues. At first, the injectors weren't firing but with fuel through the throttle body, it would start up and idle just fine till it ran out. Found a bad ground and then the Ecu somehow fried itself. With a custom harness and no more chassis harness, it made tracking stuff down pretty easy but stressful at the same time. Switched to an E5 Ecu, car started great but ran like shit. Found out that the 97-98 type x ecu's can't be switched so we repinned the J4 harness for the e5 Ecu and BAM, greatness.

I threw in the basic bits to drive the car and felt good enough to drive the 1 minute to my local events (literally .5 miles from my house).

Last weekend, everything was ready for the SLD open drift on Sunday and I was pretty nervous. It had been exactly one year since I last drive my own car at an event. I for sure thought something was going to break or the car would catch fire. But holy hell, I couldn't have been happier. The ERA1 knuckle system worked flawlessly and even with no power steering, I was able to handle the car pretty well. I hit full lock maybe once and there was no over centering or weird mishaps.

We did a quick eye ball alignment and I pulled out as much rear camber as the metal fenders would allow and threw on some Yokohoma 235/45/17's in the rear with a 225/45/17 up front. With the amount of camber I had, I still had a fair amount of grip and forward bite but not as much as I'd ultimately like.

These are the only photos so far from the open drift, I don't think they do this hoe bag justice. She's classier then that. I'm trying to prepare the car for a two day event October 5th and 6th that I'm putting on. Saturday is a three car team tandem comp and Sunday is an open drift. All I really care to do is pull the fenders some more for less camber and put a windshield in, maybe a hood as well.

And that brings us to today. I want to make enough power to run the 5/8th's bank for competitions but have a good range of low and mid power for some of the tight tracks around the PNW like PARC.

I also let my closest companion go, it had been almost one year but he was getting filthy. So the beard went and will come back in a few months. The last photo of said beard.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Mooch
Leaky Injector

And for those that like random other junk. My brother started to build a 1992 Honda Civic DX sedan for Honda Challenge and to compete in the H4 group. I've always wanted to compete against him so I had a chance to trade off my old Jew coupe shell for a 1992 Honda Civic LX sedan that is currently my daily driver but over the winter, I'd like to start pushing towards running H4 in Honda Challenge with him.

Along with picking up that, I made the hard decision to trade off the 1jzgte motor and trans. It would of been another project that went no where and I would've lost interest in. So the motor was traded off for a non running 1993 Lexus Sc300 (it has a disassembled intake) and it's sitting on Tein Basic coilovers and $1110 cash.

I'll end up finding some random 18's to throw on the car and flip it once it's running. Along with the Honda and Lexus, I finally picked up a brodozer to tow all my shit around. 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd Duramax, only the best. Got a good deal on it and she's only used for towing. Should make 2014 a fun year.

Our neighbors hate us.

Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Awesome thread. Excited for the beard to come back.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
Mooch
Leaky Injector

The Stateline Drift Two day bash is this weekend. Team Tandem comp with cash Saturday and an open drift Sunday. Makes me realize I need to buy more wheels. My team tandem partners for the team are pretty good, one dude has an SR'd vert with Tomei arms kit on power fc and the other is just a KA. We're hoping to knock down the v8 bro's but we'll see.

Still need to mount tires, install windshield and mount the dash back up.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
Mooch
Leaky Injector

Was able to have everything ready for the team tandem. We placed 1st with our best run scoring a 90 out of 100. Overall it went pretty good until our very last run. The video shows the details but I ended up being in the middle of a sandwich, which was fitting cause our team name was "Meat Dessert".

My knuckle pulled out the bottom coilover bolt and somehow, the upright of my knuckle got bent and twisted so that kind of sucks. Hopefully Era1 will send me a new one with no hassle.

Finally saw the video. Looks like our lead dude was trying to correct and it didn't work. Low speed, small impact. I'll grab a photo of the knuckle but I'm still a little taken back that the upright bent and twisted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CII7n81HYII

And a few photo's from the event.

And right before the hit.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #22
DET240SX
Leaky Injector

DET240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure what happened to the build thread - perhaps you're busy having too much fun with the cars, it's sick by the way.

I have quick one for ya, what rails did you use with the RT1000? I have a Buddy Club rails & bracket and having issues lining up the holes to the seat. Any advise is appreciated
DET240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #23
anothersr20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
anothersr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Is there anymore updates on this?
anothersr20 is offline   Reply With Quote