Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
wakeboarder843

Trader Rating: (0)
wakeboarder843 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cant get transmission on, Backwards bearing??

Ive tried for a few days trying to slide my transmission back into the engine and rotating the spindle to line it up but I haven't had any luck. the transmission is short about a half inch from fully going in and Im wondering if its possible that installing my throwout bearing backwards is preventing it from going all the way in??

I put in one of those cheap exedy clutches with their throw out bearing and it looks slightly different than stock but seemed to press on fine

At this point I don't know what else to try and no I didnt leave the clutch alignment tool in and Ive lined up the dowel pins as well..
wakeboarder843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

89hatchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the motor out or are you trying to do this under the car? I always pull my motor when doing transmission work. It's just easier in my opinion.

As long as the part that spins on the throwout bearing is facing the transmission it's on correctly. What I do to install it is grease up the shaft (giggity) and get it started going into the clutch's splined portion. Then it's just a matter of rocking it back and forth, up and down, and rotating it left to right before it goes in. All while keeping pressure on the transmission to mate with the engine.

It'll go, they're fairly simple devices
89hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Along with what hatchmen said have someone with a socket slowly turn the crank while keeping pressure on the transmission and it should pop in. Just need a 27mm socket and have them slowly turn the crank clockwise. Turn the crank very slowly mind you.

Had a hell of time getting mine to mate and a buddie showed me this little trick and it popped right in after about 5 minutes.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
wakeboarder843

Engine is still in the car so Im installing it from underneath which sucks. I don't know what Im doing wrong here. I loosened the motor mounts and the subframe to allow the motor to tilt and Ive been slowly trying to turn the spindle and it just won't seem to go in.

Im just trying to think of anything I could of done wrong so I don't have to pull the transmission out from the tunnel again because it was a pain trying to rotate it back up in there
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dude, invite two of your friends, been here done that. Some are a bitch. Grab two buddies, coordinate with one underneath pushing the tranny and have the other one either rock the crank back and forth or help underneath. Sometimes some more hands is just all that's needed. If you're sure all your parts are correct, there's no reason that shouldn't go in there.

If you're doing an auto to manual swap however, you would have had to switch out the pilot bushing.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder843 View Post
I put in one of those cheap exedy clutches with their throw out bearing and it looks slightly different than stock but seemed to press on fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakley View Post
If you're doing an auto to manual swap however, you would have had to switch out the pilot bushing.
It doesn't seem like he has done a swap. Although it does seem like a pilot bushing issue.
The opening topic, he states that he's about a half inch short. The pilot bushing is about that long.
Every time that I have had to drop my trans for whatever reason, the only time that I've been hung up was right after the input shaft passed the pressure plate teeth, snagging on the clutch disc. That makes it inches from sandwiching together.

@OP:
Do you have all of your emmissions BS? It could be possible that something is hanging low and preventing the 2 from mating. Or something on the trans is snagging the shifter hole.
Me personally, I'd pull the trans back out, throw the alignment tool back in the hole and see how it acts.

Cheers mate.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
Me personally, I'd pull the trans back out, throw the alignment tool back in the hole and see how it acts.

Cheers mate.
This for sure..
Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
wakeboarder843

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
. Although it does seem like a pilot bushing issue.

@OP:
Do you have all of your emmissions BS? It could be possible that something is hanging low and preventing the 2 from mating. Or something on the trans is snagging the shifter hole.

Cheers mate.
Yea I guess I'll have to do this and see if I can come up with something. Took all the old emissions stuff off.

I think it could also be something with the pilot bearing but Im not sure what it would be? When I put it on when the engine was out it seemed to slide right in once I lined it up right. The other day I found a long enough bolt to be able to tighten it closer and closer to the engine but then it only was pulling on one side and there was a lot of tension so I stopped so that I didn't break anything.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
wakeboarder843

Went and pulled the transmission off again this weekend. Throw out bearing seems to be on correctly. I put the clutch alignment tool in, took it out then greased up the shaft and everything and tried to get it in again.. no luck its still stuck at the same point.

I had my friend slowly turn the shaft and tried moving it side to side and up and down and still no luck. weird thing is that with that half an inch left to go I can still rotate the shaft so I know its not the spindles that aren't lining up because it still moves freely so Im thinking it has to be something with the pilot bushing.

I never installed the pilot bushing that came with the clutch kit so everything is exactly the same so I have no clue what the deal is
Old 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

If you're still able to turn the input shaft, then I would say that's your problem right there. You have the wrong clutch man. Bet if you pulled that clutch off and tried I slide it on the tranny's shaft if will not work. Do you have the part number(s) of the components being used?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
wakeboarder843

Here is a picture inside of the pilot bushing

Looks normal ?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
wakeboarder843

This is the eBay link from the auction. It says fits 89-99 s13 sr20det which is what I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH...p2047675.l2557

Old 08-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Primo's Silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Primo's Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Okay when u have the trans half inch from sealing. Check the lil dowels/alighnment pshing things for the bolts i think thiers 2 or 3 i dnt remember. Check if they are in place and lined up, wat happen once to me is the same problem ur having , my block had the dowel and the used trans had one in so they would come in contact and thus not let the trans mate to the block, shine a light threw the gap and see if u can see anything
Primo's Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #14
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take the pressure plate and clutch disc off, take the clutch disc slide it on the trans shaft. Does it go on? This will rule in/out the clutch disc. Next take the clutch disc off the trans and install the trans on the engine. Does in go on?

The alignment dowels, make sure there in the proper holes. I can't see someone struggling days with this and it only be two dowels butting up against each other 1 on the trans and 1 on the block.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dude, have a buddie rotate the crank shaft while applying pressure on the back of the trans.

It will pop right in you're probably just stuck on the clutch teeth. Slowly rotate the crank so the teeth can mesh and it will pop in.

Of the throw out, pressure plate and clutch are all on right then the problem is getting the input shaft teeth to mesh with the clutch teeth.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote