Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Motorhead is making a name for him/her selfMotorhead is making a name for him/her selfMotorhead is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Motorhead Send a message via MSN to Motorhead Send a message via Yahoo to Motorhead
RB25DET S2 driveability issue

Have an S2 RB25 in my Zenki S14, it idles perfectly, revs perfectly. Can pull out of my parking spot and slowly pull out. But it won't slowly accelerate, maintain speed on flat ground, etc. It spits and coughs and acts like it's running out of fuel (wiggle foot on gas with no effect) and then when your foot is deep enough it'll spool and pull hard. Have changed plugs just a few minutes ago, from Autolite XP's gapped at 1.2mm and replaced with NGK R's gapped at .9 with no change. About to pour 108 octane booster and change the fuel filter and see if that changes anything because I'm thinking now it might be bad gas, no idea how long it has been sitting. Thought I'd ask if anyone could help.
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Motorhead is making a name for him/her selfMotorhead is making a name for him/her selfMotorhead is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to Motorhead Send a message via MSN to Motorhead Send a message via Yahoo to Motorhead
uploadfromtaptalk1391990625930.jpg

Yeah, think I found my issue. What do you guys think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think it's time for some ls truck coils the swap is easy and you will thank me. you can see hos to do it if you look at the last 3 pages in the work log in my sig link!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

LS truck coils? Could you explain that a bit? I'll see if I can find it.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Eh, I dunno if I'm down for doing all that modification and added expense. I'm just gonna try to find a set of S2 Coilpacks and replace them. Fun fun fun
Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
its gonna cost more money to find those s2 coils for a resonable price all you gotta do is a coilpack harness swap i believe with the ls1 coils and they are just as good as splitfire coils without the heavy dent on the pocket trust me youll thank jim and i later!

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/4623...rade-rb25.html
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Trust me, I'm not knocking what you guys are saying... I am totally down for an upgrade, but I just found a couple sets on here for 100ish bucks and I'd rather stay factory while on a budget. This seems like a really awesome thing to do in my spare time later though.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
S2 coils are worst than S1 coils. Start off by double checking if you are having spark issue. Take the plug out, put it back into the coilpack, ground the tip to the head and crank the engine. You should see it spark. Also, gap your plugs down to .030~.028.

Then double check your base timing and TPS voltage.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #9
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
S2 coils are worst than S1 coils. Start off by double checking if you are having spark issue. Take the plug out, put it back into the coilpack, ground the tip to the head and crank the engine. You should see it spark. Also, gap your plugs down to .030~.028.

Then double check your base timing and TPS voltage.
Are there a couple how to's or anything to check my base timing and TPS voltage? I'm assuming I'll need a volt meter?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 AM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Google "RB25det timing adjustment" and "RB25det tps adjustment"...not exactly rocket science...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Oh it's that easy? Stand by then.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
33jrod33
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
33jrod33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My solution was cleaning my injectors. At times during driving, I would have to "feather" or light tap at the throttle to gain speed. I'm May give this Ls coil swap a try. What do you know cars torn apart anyways lol
33jrod33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Darius
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Darius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Save yourself the trouble and just upgrade to LS coils. Stock coils are almost 20 years old now, so you might as well upgrade if you are going to spend any money. Plus, LS coils are less expensive. Win-win!
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^^ listen to the man!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

I'm down to upgrade to LS coils, but I'm mote concerned with a fix, rather than a mod.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Not only will the ls coil packs fix you're problem you'll have a nice mod done. When I upgrade my coils I'm going ls. Way easier to find if you need to also.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

I'm not real keen on throwing parts at it.

Anyone know a way to test them? Without throwing a known good set in? Don't know anyone with an RB to swap with for a few minutes.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #18
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think you have a coil issue.. Your symptoms aren't consistant with weak coil packs..

Id check ignition timing, TPS, MAF, boost leaks etc.
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
There is a chance it's not the coils but to be honest you'll be replacing those coil packs one day. Sooner the better.

Have it running in a very dark room, I'm saying like pitch black, with the coil pack cover off and watch around the coil packs for arcing. You could grab a screwdriver with a good rubber handle and poke around the coil packs and see of you can get it to arc. You don't gotta get rough with them though it's not like they owe you money haha.

Honestly Google is your friend, anything you want to know about the rb's will be in there.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #20
nyc240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
nyc240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
its probably running super rich check your a/f ratio..what tune do you have on it?
nyc240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Supposed to be 100% stock as far as I know. Has an innovative wideband and a synapse recirc nov and a freddy intake manifold with a straight pipe.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #22
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforteen View Post
I don't think you have a coil issue.. Your symptoms aren't consistant with weak coil packs..

Id check ignition timing, TPS, MAF, boost leaks etc.
Did you even look at the picture he posted? Second post down. That's clearly a burnt coil pack.

OP, now you gotta figure out if heat from the engine/turbo caused that or if the coil pack itself did.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #23
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

The turbo is fairly bare and unshielded. Probably going to turbo wrap that in the future, nothin there to absorb heat.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #24
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
The turbo is fairly bare and unshielded. Probably going to turbo wrap that in the future, nothin there to absorb heat.

Yup same with mine. Not such a good idea to do but I like the cleaner look. Do you run with the coil pack cover on? I know that traps a lot of heat and cutting some nice holes in the cover will help. I machined an aluminum one in class and it works nice but gets really hot.

A brake booster shield would be a good idea one day too. The rb's in an s chassis tend to trap a lot of heat. Have you looked into the hood mod? a spacer is fitted to the back of the hood where it mounts and raises it to help pull heat from the engine bay.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Eh, I just bought the thing, it didn't have the cover installed when I picked it up, but it was in the back seat -- like he may have just taken it off.

I really like the little tutorial and the custom center piece in that one link for the LS pack swap, but... yeah.

Booster shield would be a huge priority, exactly what I was thinking.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #26
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Eh, I just bought the thing, it didn't have the cover installed when I picked it up, but it was in the back seat -- like he may have just taken it off.

I really like the little tutorial and the custom center piece in that one link for the LS pack swap, but... yeah.

Booster shield would be a huge priority, exactly what I was thinking.

That makes me think the previous owner knew about the coils maybe? Or knew about the trapped heat. I would do the ls coil pack swap if you can swing the money. You'll thank yourself later. You might be able to pick them up cheap at a junk yard who knows.
I would do the hood mod too. It raises so little in the back you hardly notice it, I think. Helps keep the engine bay cool too.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #27
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me. Not that I think he was shady, he went out of his way for me over the title (which he forgot to get before I showed up)... so I don't really wanna throw him under the bus, I just think he didn't really know a whole lot about the car. Claimed he built it, but in the same breath claimed it was all stock and felt like 350hp. So... you can kinda understand that while he wasn't exactly a super knowledgable guy, he wasn't a terrible guy. Anyway... regarding your hood-raise mod, I'm totally down for that too... if only for the short run, because I had intentions to replace the hood with possibly a battle style vent towards the front to let the air out from between the engine and Rad. It's a crap hood already on it, and I figure if I'm gonna replace it anyway, might as well make It a bit more functional.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #28
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me. Not that I think he was shady, he went out of his way for me over the title (which he forgot to get before I showed up)... so I don't really wanna throw him under the bus, I just think he didn't really know a whole lot about the car. Claimed he built it, but in the same breath claimed it was all stock and felt like 350hp. So... you can kinda understand that while he wasn't exactly a super knowledgable guy, he wasn't a terrible guy. Anyway... regarding your hood-raise mod, I'm totally down for that too... if only for the short run, because I had intentions to replace the hood with possibly a battle style vent towards the front to let the air out from between the engine and Rad. It's a crap hood already on it, and I figure if I'm gonna replace it anyway, might as well make It a bit more functional.

Yeah he probably just removed it cause of the heating issues. Hell ya man I'm in the same boat, my hood is fucked and is kinked in the middle on both ends so there is a hump in the hood :/ it might be right around 300hp. Hard to say until it's dyno'd.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #29
Motorhead
Leaky Injector

Wanna know something funny? After all the sensors and ECU, etc checked out just fine... and a better-mechanic-than-I friend who had the car for a few weeks... apparently it having a WS harness, no one thought that the wrong TPS connector was plugged in.... the harness had two.

I feel like a moron.