Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
DriftVader
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
DriftVader is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
SR SR20- Shims and Guides

okay so to make a long story short- I pulled my head off my motor when i shipped it from Japan to my current base. I at the time did not realize how important the shims and guides were and that they needed to be placed BACK to their oringal slots when i put the head back together. Question for you guys. Since when i put the motor back together, i measured as best i could and i had to "guesstimate" where the shims and guides went. My car has been running rich for the past few months and i cant figure out why. What kinda of problems would the shims and guides cause if they were put back in different slots?

thanks a bunch!
DriftVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Str8silvias14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Str8silvias14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I took my head off as well a while back and did th same I just put them where ever and my car ran like shit and in a matter of minutes my rockets broke 2 of my shims. As far as it running rich that just might be a minor tune issue. I took it to a shop and its been running well since.
Str8silvias14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftVader View Post
okay so to make a long story short- I pulled my head off my motor when i shipped it from Japan to my current base. I at the time did not realize how important the shims and guides were and that they needed to be placed BACK to their oringal slots when i put the head back together. Question for you guys. Since when i put the motor back together, i measured as best i could and i had to "guesstimate" where the shims and guides went. My car has been running rich for the past few months and i cant figure out why. What kinda of problems would the shims and guides cause if they were put back in different slots?

thanks a bunch!
probably wont make a big difference, measure the thickness of all your shims, they are proabbaly all the same size, or well w/in a few thousands of each other, also measure the guides, ideally the guide and shim should make the rocker arm level. you can also source a valve tip height tool to check the tip height, which will ovbiously affect shim size. also IIRC all the guides are the same thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8silvias14 View Post
I took my head off as well a while back and did th same I just put them where ever and my car ran like shit and in a matter of minutes my rockets broke 2 of my shims. As far as it running rich that just might be a minor tune issue. I took it to a shop and its been running well since.
i would really like to see how you broke a shim...a rocker arm very believable but a shim???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
besTint
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (81)
besTint is a jewel in the roughbesTint is a jewel in the roughbesTint is a jewel in the roughbesTint is a jewel in the roughbesTint is a jewel in the roughbesTint is a jewel in the roughbesTint is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Send a message via AIM to besTint
you have to check the rocker arm clearances so at this point you might as well get solid lifters cause your gonna have to go back and use a feeler gauge to make sure the rocker clearances are even with the cam lobes. HLA will screw you over down the line anyways so change em out now.