Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 240sx Rear noise when breaking hard Need help determining what the problem is

I picked up this s14 base model 1995 a few months ago, the previous owner didn?t really take good care of it as the owner was more into custom sound systems and car alarms. There?s so much wiring all hacked out, body is straight, 124k on the odometer.

Anyways, my concern is when I break hard or use my had e-break I hear a loud ?thump? coming from the rear. I?ve looked and looks many times, but everything appears to be ok, there?s got to be something loose I think.

Anyone had this experience before?

The break pads look ok and calipers are bolted.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Kallixtos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (61)
Kallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really nice
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Assuming its the stock rear brake setup and not Z32. Jack the car up, apply the hand brake. See if you can move the wheels with the brake still applied. Could also grab a pry bar and see if the subframe moves at all. Check the axles, driveshaft, ball joints.
Kallixtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

TheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallixtos View Post
Assuming its the stock rear brake setup and not Z32. Jack the car up, apply the hand brake. See if you can move the wheels with the brake still applied. Could also grab a pry bar and see if the subframe moves at all. Check the axles, driveshaft, ball joints.
Thank you for the input, I?m going to try this.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
BoredEE
Leaky Injector

BoredEE is an unknown quantity at this point
If the rear subframe bushings have never been replaced I'd suspect them first.
BoredEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredEE View Post
If the rear subframe bushings have never been replaced I'd suspect them first.
I hope it?s not the subframe bushings, my previous s14 has some weird suspension sag, thought it was the bushings turns out to be one bad coilover
Old 05-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVinylKingz View Post
I hope it?s not the subframe bushings, my previous s14 has some weird suspension sag, thought it was the bushings turns out to be one bad coilover
Your subframe bushings are probably toast if they haven?t been upgraded. I?d also go over every bolt/but and snug them up.