Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
GustavoCesare

Trader Rating: (0)
GustavoCesare is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
237k on chassis bad?

There's this guy selling his hatchback. According to him it's swapped with a newer ka'd. It has about 120k on the engine but it has 237k on chassis. The miles on the chassis worry me. The car felt pretty solid and i really couldn't find rust around the car. It's on isis coils and isis short shifter which i really don't care about. It has one problem though. When starting cold, i have to press on the gas for like 10 seconds for the car to stay on, after that i can let go and the car will idle fine. It doesn't jump or seem to struggle at all.

What do you think? How much would you pay or should i be patient and keep looking? I've already been looking for almost two months now -.-... He said he was willing to sell for about $2,400.
GustavoCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Ziptietech
Zilvia Junkie

Ziptietech is an unknown quantity at this point
I think chassis miles arnt to bad. But I would replace all suspension bushings all around unless they already been changed. Ball joints, arm bushings, subframe bushings forsure! Mine went bad like before 160 miles and actually broke from the rubber lol. Inspect the motor mounts. Now idk about the motor. Check tie rods and tension rods. Mine where bad and shook on freeway.
Ziptietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Depending on the condition of the shell it doesn't seem bad.

Miles are high but as long as there is not any rust or have been wrecked before it'll be ok.

You'll benefit in the long run by changing out all the old suspension components and the same goes for a lot of stuff in the bay.

If you are buying an s chassis, and expect an old ass car to not have any issues like 10 sec thing you mentioned, then I do not recommend you buy it my man!
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
GustavoCesare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptietech View Post
I think chassis miles arnt to bad. But I would replace all suspension bushings all around unless they already been changed. Ball joints, arm bushings, subframe bushings forsure! Mine went bad like before 160 miles and actually broke from the rubber lol. Inspect the motor mounts. Now idk about the motor. Check tie rods and tension rods. Mine where bad and shook on freeway.
I was planning on taking a second look tomorrow with a mechanic to make sure everythings fine. I'm new to actually owning a 240sx so i don't want to give my money away lol. I'm looking to daily it and learn from it as i do minor modifications.

How much would you suggest i pay max? I feel like $2,400 is a lot but that's just me.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
GustavoCesare

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Depending on the condition of the shell it doesn't seem bad.

Miles are high but as long as there is not any rust or have been wrecked before it'll be ok.

You'll benefit in the long run by changing out all the old suspension components and the same goes for a lot of stuff in the bay.

If you are buying an s chassis, and expect an old ass car to not have any issues like 10 sec thing you mentioned, then I do not recommend you buy it my man!
Nah, i definitely expect there to be problems lol. I just thought i'd mention it for the pricing suggestion. This would be my first 240sx so i'm really looking forward to learning from it.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey man, I dont know how different the prices in Miami are compared to Tampa but I wouldn't spend more than $1200 for that car. $2000 is high for a hatchback, it would have to be in pretty great condition to pull 2k. $2400 is insane. You'd almost be better off road tripping here if that's the best you can find and its that much. Check out our areas craigslist or something

Also sounds like its got a dirty MAF or IACV

Edit: forgot about the isis coils. Are they the basics or pro's? Either way thats only 600ish extra and since they are installed/used..... $1500-$1600 for that car
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Ziptietech
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoCesare View Post
I was planning on taking a second look tomorrow with a mechanic to make sure everythings fine. I'm new to actually owning a 240sx so i don't want to give my money away lol. I'm looking to daily it and learn from it as i do minor modifications.

How much would you suggest i pay max? I feel like $2,400 is a lot but that's just me.

2400 depends.

Again they are old cars. People ask for too much sometimes. 2400 doesn't sound bad but u can try knocking down the price fore that cold start problem.

I'm no expert at buying cars. I have one car and only one car. Never shopped around for another lol so I honestly can say idk about buying s chassis. All I can say is just inspect for normal wear and tear. If it's a daily, then it's best to have the motor work properly before buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Ziptietech
Zilvia Junkie

Scratch that. 2400 does sound high for that kind of miles. Lol isis coils and short shifter doesn't raise it up to that much either lol

Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
GustavoCesare

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Hey man, I dont know how different the prices in Miami are compared to Tampa but I wouldn't spend more than $1200 for that car. $2000 is high for a hatchback, it would have to be in pretty great condition to pull 2k. $2400 is insane. You'd almost be better off road tripping here if that's the best you can find and its that much. Check out our areas craigslist or something

Also sounds like its got a dirty MAF or IACV

Edit: forgot about the isis coils. Are they the basics or pro's? Either way thats only 600ish extra and since they are installed/used..... $1500-$1600 for that car
Lol i've been looking all over fl through craigslist for the past two months. There was one red hatch in tampa which i swear was in the greatest condition i've ever seen for 2,200 being sold by some old lady but some dude beat me to it the next day -.- I honestly can't find anything. Most of the ones posted are swapped or beat to death. If you guys know of any decent ones for sale by all means, let me know 786 486 9031.

About the coilovers, i'm not completely sure.

I really don't mind waiting some more if you guys wouldn't suggest the purchase. Regardless i was going to try to bring it down, i really don't pay 2,400 for it.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
1993 240sx hatch sr20 update

SR hatch for 3k
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
GustavoCesare

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
I think that one was sold already.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptietech View Post
Scratch that. 2400 does sound high for that kind of miles. Lol isis coils and short shifter doesn't raise it up to that much either lol

isis coils and short shift would reduce the price LOL....

That means its junk...

Make sure compression or leak down tests, KA's blow headgaskets a lot...

Check for oil pan leaks.... and with that many miles, all the suspension frame and rust.....
Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
Ziptietech
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
isis coils and short shift would reduce the price LOL....

That means its junk...

Make sure compression or leak down tests, KA's blow headgaskets a lot...

Check for oil pan leaks.... and with that many miles, all the suspension frame and rust.....
Lol the price drops hahaha.

I mean if u want low buget "looks" it's better than cut springs lol.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
GustavoCesare

I prefer the s13 but i just came across this. We agreed on $2,700. 1996 240sx s14 for sale! cheap! need to sale asap

He says it's a clean title and has car fax to prove it. 87K miles on chassis and engine. Only problem is no a/c. He says it needs freon.

What do you think?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #15
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Freon is 5 bucks the most. That s14 sounds good . Check with carfax. 87000 miles is too good to be true
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
GustavoCesare

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurud View Post
Freon is 5 bucks the most. That s14 sounds good . Check with carfax. 87000 miles is too good to be true
Checked carfax today. He wasn't lying. Got it for $2,200. Everything seemed to be working well. Only problem it had was the dashboard, it wasn't in the greatest shape and no radio which really isn't important. It has an obnoxiously loud exhaust though.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
^ seems like a good buy. The add is deleted so I didn't see it but dash and radio are cheap fixes.
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote