Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Almosttt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Almosttt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB25DET cooling upgrades?

Hey guys, just bought a RB25DET swapped S14 last week. It has stock turbo and injectors etc. but I want to focus on cooling before I start on any of that. It currently has the stock S14 radiator and stock belt driven fan so I figure I should upgrade those first.

What is a good radiator/electric fan combo that should be pretty easy to swap in? What other cooling upgrades should I go for?

This is my first RB25 and first swapped vehicle so this is going to be a bit of a learning experience. Appreciate any help!
Almosttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Big aluminum radiator and keep the stock fan. Electric fans will never beat the clutch fan.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Almosttt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Big aluminum radiator and keep the stock fan. Electric fans will never beat the clutch fan.
Someone mentioned I'd probably have clearance issues if I kept the stock fan? I haven't actually done any measurements though I was just going off of that so I thought I'd have to switch to like dual electric fans or something. I'll try to get measurements for a bigger aluminum one and see if it will fit I guess. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
RB25DET cooling upgrades?

Never ran into cooling issues. Will help a lot to remove your oil warmer underneath the plenum. Oil temps stay below 160F and water temps stay below 76c.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Almosttt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Never ran into cooling issues. Will help a lot to remove your oil warmer underneath the plenum. Oil temps stay below 160F and water temps stay below 76c.
Damn, looks like a perfect fit. I wish my engine bay looked that good, mine is pretty damn ugly lol. What fan is that?

Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

It’s stock fan clutch with a GKtech 10 blade fan.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Almosttt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
It’s stock fan clutch with a GKtech 10 blade fan.
Looks good. And what radiator is that? Or what are the dimensions?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Just some thick aluminum KA radiator. Probably 2-2.5 inch thick
Old 03-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Almosttt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Just some thick aluminum KA radiator. Probably 2-2.5 inch thick
Okay cool, I'll go ahead and just order a radiator and that fan then... do you have any other cooling upgrades done?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

For the most part, no.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stock clutch fan. It just has to be mounted on the oposite side of the clutch and shaved slightly to clear the damper. When i upgraded to a koyo performance radiator, i had to modify the radiator bottom brackets to make them shorter to move the radiator closer to the condenser. That and elongating the screw holes on the upper radiator brackets gave me just enough clearance (less than .25" on the upper tank) for the fan to clear. Motor only mover side to side so any clearance should be gtg.
I wouldnt recommend removing the oil warmer. I do believe it also helps maintain the oil temps down.
I'll share some pix later.

Only picture I have atm

Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #12
dreaMervaj
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
dreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-knowndreaMervaj is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:

Man this is a tight fit.. How did you get the fan on? Was it installed prior to installing the radiator? What motor mounts are you using?
dreaMervaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaMervaj View Post
Man this is a tight fit.. How did you get the fan on? Was it installed prior to installing the radiator? What motor mounts are you using?

Yep, fan went on the backside of the clutch, bolted to the pulley, then the radiator was installed. The mounts are custom made by me, intentionally to mount as far back as possible. There’s less than a centimeter between the firewall and the back of the head.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Some people will notch the upper radiator support to tilt the radiator forward and make new bracket holes. If you take your time it actually can come out quite nicely.

Wish there was more info on clutch fan CFM ratings. Derale makes fans that pull 4,000CFMs and work stout.

Although, controlling E-fans without a standalone is kind've a nitemare IMO. If you can stick with a clutch fan, do it.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #15
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Some people will notch the upper radiator support to tilt the radiator forward and make new bracket holes. If you take your time it actually can come out quite nicely.

Wish there was more info on clutch fan CFM ratings. Derale makes fans that pull 4,000CFMs and work stout.

Although, controlling E-fans without a standalone is kind've a nitemare IMO. If you can stick with a clutch fan, do it.
I never thought to run fans through the aem! I just run them to a relayed switch and flip them on in traffic or if temps get high.