Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why did lsx swaps become so popular?

For years there has been the whole import vs domestic battle which typicaly was japanese inline 4/6 vs american v8s.

While v8s for domestics are okay in their own right what happened to built sr20s or 2jzs etc? Why did mamy give up on the traditional route and take the easy and borring route of the lsx

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
because this is 'MERICA!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a lot cheaper and easier to make power from a v8 downlow where an sr has no bussiness making power.

With that said, I'm still a fan of the underdog SR and RB. I love RB20's haha
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
There is no replacement for displacement.

Except boost, which likes to break things, and requires a lot of mods and has more associated maintenance.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Because if you break something you can going to any AutoZone or O'reillys and get the part more than likely that day
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
zwzweston
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
zwzweston is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWGarage View Post
Because if you break something you can going to any AutoZone or O'reillys and get the part more than likely that day
What he said. You might be able to find some 2J parts, but for SRs and RBs you're shit outta luck.
zwzweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I just don't see those easily sourced parts being things that would unexpectedly break on track. Maybe a head gasket.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
There is no replacement for displacement.
The replacement for displacement is less weight.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
zwzweston
Zilvia Member

zwzweston is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I just don't see those easily sourced parts being things that would unexpectedly break on track. Maybe a head gasket.
I can't speak for street cars in this respect, but if for example you were trying to run a competitive drift car you'd want to avoid down time as much as possible. All kinds of fiddly little things can go wrong, and it just makes more sense to run out and pick up a spare rather than having to wait for parts.

Last edited by zwzweston; 10-15-2015 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling
zwzweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Yeah I get that, so I guess water pumps, gaskets, spark plugs. But vital engine components? A pro team is gonna most likely have a built engine, so autozone isn't going to have those parts in stock. And I can't see a privateer or amateur team tearing down and rebuilding a stock engine in the pits. Those easily gotten parts they would carry, are also easily ordered ahead of time for the "Japanese" engines so that you have spares on hand.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
1 Torque.
2 Domestic american market- Parts are more readily available.
3 Dat v8 sound

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
They have issues like any motor, but it's relatively cheap and easy power, at near stock reliability (which is huge btw) in pretty much any street or drift application.

And when they do break if you're near stock, there's always local parts availability to get you back up and running with the quickness.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
They've been around for years, ever since I've been into the S-chassis. From what I've noticed over the years is the big push after the LS becoming commonplace in Formula D (love it or hate it, it's a driving force in this scene). From a race standpoint, it'd a great choice.

Availability of parts, reliability, and a larger and more linear powerband make it a very potent combination of chassis design, weight, and power.

At the end of the day, we (just being super broad here to make it easy) just follow suit. I doubt that many people would of bought and swapped SR, etc. without first seeing them in D1GP, FD, Option video, HyperRev, etc. I'm not saying this in a bad way, there's nothing wrong with being influenced by the things around you, it's life.

That being said, I'll keep my engine choice. LS engines and the like, in my opinion, lack personality. I'm the kind of girl who likes the smart nerdy guy with a great personality compared to the one who likes the big muscled guy with nothing interesting to say.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #14
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Yeah I get that, so I guess water pumps, gaskets, spark plugs. But vital engine components? A pro team is gonna most likely have a built engine, so autozone isn't going to have those parts in stock. And I can't see a privateer or amateur team tearing down and rebuilding a stock engine in the pits. Those easily gotten parts they would carry, are also easily ordered ahead of time for the "Japanese" engines so that you have spares on hand.
Oem part is better than no part.
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #15
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
1 Torque.
2 Domestic american market- Parts are more readily available.
3 Dat v8 sound
Some feel the v8 sound is a detracment for jap cars

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

So if you blew a built and tuned LS, and you could only get Oem parts that aren't as good as what broke, you'd fix it with those hoping that it would last. Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont care for them in drifting but im still a fan of the motor in general. go pull a truck 6.0 out from a junk yard. $700 for a motor. put a cam/heads/exhaust work. make almost 500hp. cant beat it really. they last forever. its just cheap and easy to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmbbuSq9m0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyeotHRZ-XI
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #18
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
im surprised the LS weighs less then an SR, thats kinda cool
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchs14 View Post
I dont care for them in drifting but im still a fan of the motor in general. go pull a truck 6.0 out from a junk yard. $700 for a motor. put a cam/heads/exhaust work. make almost 500hp. cant beat it really. they last forever. its just cheap and easy to get.

Was going to post same vids.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #20
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
There is no replacement for displacement, except for the turbo in my basement! Haha. All seriousness, I owned an SR 240, then built my LSx FD Rx7, now I'm back with an SR 240, I love the SR, but it is super easy to make power with the LS and super easy to get parts! Especially if you want that torque tho! Haha
Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
im surprised the LS weighs less then an SR, thats kinda cool
Not to sound like a smartass, but thats not really close to true, just gm fanboy propoganda.

Look up the weights, sr is still lighter. For instance, when I built my sr, I could pick up the entire engine myself, I don't think you can do that with an LS

Also just to give an example of why a lot of this is hype, if you look at the build log for a well sorted LS motor, just to get one running, is like $8000. Look at the build log for the motor trend 240ss and youll see what I mean as for cost.
There is a lot of things that need to be modified for a quality setup

Whereas an sr requires no real modifications to get running in our cars.
You could buy a s15 sr for $3000(includes 5 speed so nothing needs modification. Add cams injectors and a tune for like $1500 more dollars, and you have around the same horsepower as an LS1. Im pretty sure you could build an SR20vet for the same price as you can swap in an LS.
So again a lot of this is hype, not that I hate the motor or anything, I just hate the whole swap every brand into "every other brand" hype thats going around.
Brands exist for a reason, if you want american muscle, buy a muscle car
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #22
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Torque is so overrated in a light car. Love it for towing though. How v8 sports cars should sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg-5k_O6qlg
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Or you can get an old Mercedes M103 engine from any junkyard, put a giant turbo on it, and have 600hp for like 1000$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLBVrM0wJvE
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #24
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
For instance, when I built my sr, I could pick up the entire engine myself, I don't think you can do that with an LS

Explain I'm curious.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #25
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Explain I'm curious.
using my arm muscles, cuz i am a fukin hoss.
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
He palmed it like a basketball I saw it
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #27
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Not to sound like a smartass, but thats not really close to true, just gm fanboy propoganda.

Look up the weights, sr is still lighter. For instance, when I built my sr, I could pick up the entire engine myself, I don't think you can do that with an LS

Whereas an sr requires no real modifications to get running in our cars.
You could buy a s15 sr for $3000(includes 5 speed so nothing needs modification. Add cams injectors and a tune for like $1500 more dollars, and you have around the same horsepower as an LS1. Im pretty sure you could build an SR20vet for the same price as you can swap in an LS.
So again a lot of this is hype, not that I hate the motor or anything, I just hate the whole swap every brand into "every other brand" hype thats going around.
Brands exist for a reason, if you want american muscle, buy a muscle car
You forget that the intercooler and all the associated turbo bits add a fair bit of weight to a turbo car as well, so the base weight of the engine isn't really a good basis for comparison.

I used to be a purist like you when I first got into cars, but after working for a few shops and doing events for awhile I've come to realize how ignorant that way of thinking is. Sure you can tune an SR to make the same amount of power as an LS for around the same price as the initial swap or cheaper but it will still be less reliable and has more parts to fail. The LS also responds very well to basic upgrades so while the initial cost may be high (7-8k really isn't all that much in the automotive wold) future upgrades will be cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate either engine (I actually just dropped another SR into my car last week) but for the grassroots guy who wants a mildly competitive car that is cheap to run, the LS makes the most financial sense. That's why the swap has become so popular in recent years.

The flip side of this is there are now a bunch of hoonbro fanboi kids who don't even track their car that think you need an LS and a billion hp before you can even go out to an event because "bro, that's the motor that everyone in FD runs" which isn't the case at all...
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #28
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
dub40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
because
dub40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #29
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Without the aid of a lever/left or any other assistance beside dem arm muscles, I wanna see it. I'll paypal you 1 dollar and 5 Drift Tengoku mags. (JDM Tight)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #30
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
why did starting useless threads become so popular?
feito is offline   Reply With Quote