Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
tryingtobebest
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
tryingtobebest is on the path to ruintryingtobebest is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Rear subframe question, simple, Ive searched!

Hi, yes, Ive searched and looking to do a NON hicas subframe swap on my R32! I preffer to avoid using S14 offset bushing subframe! So im wondering if:

#1 Any (most likely Newer) S13 came with 2 bolt diff cover bolts setup? and

#2 Z32 NON hicas subframe interchangabel with S13 or S14? Without offset bushings!

Basically im looking for NON hicas subfame for my R32, im avoiding using S14 or 4 bolts diff cover S13!
Thanks
tryingtobebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
ST34LthyN1NJ4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
ST34LthyN1NJ4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
S13 subframe is identical to a r32 sub frame without hicas and drops in with no mods. If you go the s14 route you will have problems with the Ruca's hitting your coilovers and frame rails.
ST34LthyN1NJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
1# - All s13 and r32 are 4 bolt. S14 runs a 2 bolt. Switch covers if needed. Plug and play

2# - Do offset bushings, you can technically get into the sketch area and force the studs to work with the bushings. That is up to you. Might work or might fail severely. Its better just to do it right and buy a s14 or s15 subframe and run the correct offset bushings

Do it right, don't half ass.

Question just answered.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
tryingtobebest
Zilvia Member

R32 in my case GTRs are never ever 4 bolts diff covers! So previous person ^ is incorrect! Not a single clear answer from both of you, let me try to rephrase myself:
#1 I read somewhere that newer S13 subframes have different angle on the lower control arms, so my question is if Rear subframe was changed over the years from 4 bolt diff cover to two bolt one!?

#2 I know you can make everything work in anything but, without modifications and using offset bushings, ZZ32 NON TTURBO, non hicas subframe is directly interchangable with s13 or S14!

Please before answering read the question carefully!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Con-city_s13

Trader Rating: (0)
Con-city_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why are you opposed to using offset bushings? Your ride could probably benefit from a set of solid subframe bushings anyway.
Con-city_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Was there ever an update to s13? I didn't think there was. S13 is s13, 4 bolt diff and the same geometry throughout the years.

S14 had the better geometry for the LCA, and they use 2 bolt cover diffs.

The diffs covers are interchangeable so not sure what the problem is....

Last edited by e1_griego; 11-25-2014 at 04:00 PM..
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Was there ever an update to s13? I didn't think there was. S13 is s13, 4 bolt diff and the same geometry throughout the years. Z32 NA should be the same as s13 as far as I know.

S14 had the better geometry for the LCA, and they use 2 bolt cover diffs.

The diffs covers are interchangeable so not sure what the problem is....
Yea I don't think s13 ever got an update, even on the kouki 180sx.

The s14 got the RLCA mount update, two bolt diff, and 10mm wider. Late s14 got additional reinforcements, s15 continued this setup.

Z32 subframe is a whole lot wider and I don't think it will fit an s/r32 chassis at all.

If the OP's main goal is the geometry update then he has to do s14/15 with offset bushings and just swap the diff cover for a 2 bolt, not hard at all and I don't get the fuss.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, z32 is definitely wider, I durped. z32 axles don't straight swap into s-chassis as evidence.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
tryingtobebest
Zilvia Member

The fuss is about people not reading the questions here, IM ASKING 3rd time please read the question:

In the very first post it says: " looking to do a NON hicas subframe swap on my R32 " GTR if its matter, NISMOPLSR, I hope this explains what my goal is!

#1 I already bought R32 GTR (same as S13) NISMO rear subframe and diff bushings, so i want to use them and I hate the idea of using SOLID bushings there! SO my choices S13 (4bolt) or R32 (hicas)

#2 Cant believe that people still recommend me to switch to a two bolt cover after 2 times explaining myself, I DO HAVE A STOCK R32 GTR 2 BOLT DIFF COVER, and I WANT TO KEEP it since it is FINNED and it looks like it allows more volume of gear oil in diff (it has that bulge)

Forget about previous questions guys, I will try this thread with another question:

Which cars cam with 4 bolt bulge rear diff cover???

Old 12-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Pretty sure only s13 had 4 bolt covers. There are 2 or 3 different styles of s13 covers, though, so maybe that's where you're getting confused. You can buy a brand new high capacity one from nissan (e.g. http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-38351-...e_p_26018.html).
Old 12-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer your original questions.

#1. All S13 subframes support 4bolt diff covers. Not sure what to tell you besides putting a 4 bolt cover on your diff.

#2 No z32 subframes are not interchangeable with S13's

Now for the newest question. I don't know what you mean. My stock s13 240 rear has a bulge in the cover and looks like the picture. All s13 covers that I have took notice to had a bulge.
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
e1_griego
Post Whore!

There is this style:

And this style:

And there may be one more but google image search is failing me so that might be it.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
tryingtobebest
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Pretty sure only s13 had 4 bolt covers. There are 2 or 3 different styles of s13 covers, though, so maybe that's where you're getting confused. You can buy a brand new high capacity one from nissan (e.g. http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-38351-...e_p_26018.html).
Getting confused with what e1_Griego?

I personally witnessed that there is 2 different covers! Im pretty sure there is still one completely plain cover!

Im pretty sure, im going to go with S13 subframe with bulge and finned rear 4 bolt cover! Now, wondering which style is better, 2 bolts with bushings or 4 bolts solid bolt on!?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
bmxer882x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
bmxer882x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The 2 styles of covers bolt on the same one just holds more fluid..

And solid will technically get the power to the ground better but with more vibrations. S14 diff with bushings won't vibrate ad much but you could lose a tad bit of torque (not enough u could even feel)
bmxer882x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
Im pretty sure there is still one completely plain cover!

Im pretty sure, im going to go with S13 subframe with bulge and finned rear 4 bolt cover! Now, wondering which style is better, 2 bolts with bushings or 4 bolts solid bolt on!?
There are only 2 types of S13 diff covers: Open, which is the first picture above and VLSD, which is the second. Open has a fluid capacity of 1.3 L, VSLD is 1.5 L. They are both finned, however VLSD is larger and has the increase capacity.

If you are going to use the S13 subframe, you will not be able to use the 2 bolt rear cover.

As for which is better, that depends on what you consider "better" to be. You posted that you have Nismo bushings because you don't like solid. The bushings used by the 2 bolt cover (and forward mount) will transmit less vibration but at the expense of rigidity and putting down the power. The 4 bolt cover (and diffs that do not use bushings at the forward mount) will have maximum rigidity but at the expense of increased NVH.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What the hell is all this rambling? Why not just buy the hicas eliminator kit and be fucking done with it? The only thing you need to swap would be your damn bushings.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
tryingtobebest
Zilvia Member

Dont remember asking for any ATTITUDE - jr_ss, Dont make me explain why I want to totally eliminate hicas, it will take me 3 - 4 times in the end!!!

Im afraid to ask this, but does Q45 rear subframe is any similar to S13, S14 or Z32??

Here is the GTR diff that im going to use, the cover holds 2 ABS/Atessa sensors, any 4 bolt covers have support for them?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Dont remember asking for any ATTITUDE - jr_ss, Dont make me explain why I want to totally eliminate hicas, it will take me 3 - 4 times in the end!!!
Perhaps, if you were clear and explained what you wanted to achieve, some people could be better prepared to answer your questions. My suggestion was an idea, that you made no mention of not wanting to do. Don't take people's responses personally, it's the Internet.

What is your end goal? Why do you not want to eliminate HICAS via the kit?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
R32 in my case GTRs are never ever 4 bolts diff covers! So previous person ^ is incorrect! Not a single clear answer from both of you, let me try to rephrase myself:
Please before answering read the question carefully!
The fuss is about people not reading the questions here, IM ASKING 3rd time please read the question:
Dont remember asking for any ATTITUDE - jr_ss, Dont make me explain why I want to totally eliminate hicas
Maybe if you asked for advice like a fuckin human being, you'd get a better answer. Or better yet, maybe if you did your own research you wouldnt be on this forum crying like a fuckin baby over shit thats been covered time and time again.

Nothing worse than hearing people complain when they dont get the information they are seeking. Just remember dick head, prior to forums people had to do their own homework. You should consider yourself lucky that this place even exists for you to come and cry on...

This guy makes me want to choke him through the monitor.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #20
tryingtobebest
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Maybe if you asked for advice...
Now see, this person should be ignored, i dont know what his problem is... Most likely he is jealous of me owing a GTR! 5000+ posts, wonder how many of them is on the subject, none in my thread!

jr_ss, i don't want to use hicas bar because i still have to use rear knuckle toe balljoints, and i need to replace them! But even if they are good, they still not providing the SOLID feel of the rear end! BUT i guess, i have to, since there is no other options!

What exactly is wrong with my first post that hasn't been edited since day one!?
And only because of this thread i figure out that S13 subframe would NOT WORK, diff cover dont have abs sensors support! So, thanks everybody!