Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Godzillasr20

Trader Rating: (0)
Godzillasr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr20 top mount help.. 2,200 invested major problems!!!

Ok so I have a rhd s13 sr...... And got it n it was garbage I put all kinds of sh$& new on this finally had it running good n now the blow by is so bad in 7 miles ill almost fill up my oil catch can.. And if I boost at all whiteish/bluish smoke comes out the dump tube I believe because I smell oil burning real bad in the car.. I know I need to do a compression check but my brand new aem wide bands on and I don't want to ruin it. It's 58 or 50 something ar on compressor side top mounted t3 flange eBay turbo.. Slow motion said there was no play. I put it together before I put the new pcv valve and changed my vacuum lines and it ran 5 psi with out doing this but on ten it is. Brand new pcv valve. I've blown two coolant hoses. Once while boosting once at idle. I. Need to kno head gasket or rings. Because in my coolant it looks like gas and the catch an looks like watered down oil but my oil on the dip stick isn't milky and looks fine... Please help ASAP!!!!! I'm gnnna try to go do a compression test now
It snt let me post pics on my iPad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (243.8 KB, 45 views)
Godzillasr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
How surprising ... crappy ebay turbo on crappy unbuilt engine gives a crappy result...

There is nothing people can do for you here, except "bring that engine to a tuner, get it disassembled, cleaned, rebuild, and dont get crappy ebay parts this time".

I know it hurts. But right now you have just thrown 2200 to the bin, and are ready to shell another 4 or 5K to do things correctly this time.

There is a reason engine builders and tuner shops exist; when people cant do it on their own, or dont want to, they swallow their big pride and give the job to someone who knows. Actually there is no shame in doing it. It is called being smart. Cant do ? dont do.

How many times does it need to be said until people understand ...

1/ dont buy chinese crap
2/ really, dont buy chinese CRAP, there is a reason it is cheap !
3/ dont know how to check/upgrade/build an engine ? Have someone who knows do it for you.
4/ cant afford ? Sell your car and get something you CAN afford !

Finally, forget anything about "investing money on cars". The money spent on a car goes straight to an endless pit. You will never see it again. ever.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
X. D. !.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Godzillasr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
How surprising ... crappy ebay turbo on crappy unbuilt engine gives a crappy result...

There is nothing people can do for you here, except "bring that engine to a tuner, get it disassembled, cleaned, rebuild, and dont get crappy ebay parts this time".

I know it hurts. But right now you have just thrown 2200 to the bin, and are ready to shell another 4 or 5K to do things correctly this time.

There is a reason engine builders and tuner shops exist; when people cant do it on their own, or dont want to, they swallow their big pride and give the job to someone who knows. Actually there is no shame in doing it. It is called being smart. Cant do ? dont do.

How many times does it need to be said until people understand ...

1/ dont buy chinese crap
2/ really, dont buy chinese CRAP, there is a reason it is cheap !
3/ dont know how to check/upgrade/build an engine ? Have someone who knows do it for you.
4/ cant afford ? Sell your car and get something you CAN afford !

Finally, forget anything about "investing money on cars". The money spent on a car goes straight to an endless pit. You will never see it again. ever.
First of all I respect ur honesty but I got more that 2,200 in it that's just RECENTLY... AND I'm a&e certified in engine repair went to Wyotech and am a tech underground lol.. So thanks for your help. I've seen eBay turbos pull 500hp go out n a year n then they rebuild em n keep goin. I've also seen em go out in a week.. But what ever u get what u pay for. Because I have eBay parts ur gnna bash me instead of say hey man try this or try that... a$$ hole of the day award for u my friend...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Godzillasr20

Ase** and also my bolts on the turbo are loosening up with lock washers.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
jabless13
Zilvia Member

jabless13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ase cert in engine repair just means you read your study guide.

Seriously. eBay turbo, probably blew seals is it a journal or ball bearing turbo? Are you running a restrictor if its ball bearing? Compression test, leakdown test should've been done way before you even went too mount.
jabless13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You should "invest" in some English classes and maybe a dictionary.
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Ka-t in progress
Leaky Injector

Ka-t in progress is an unknown quantity at this point
Also,did you buy your pcv from autozone or anything? There's a difference in a pcv for an n/a car and a turbo car. Just throwing that out there.
Ka-t in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
lock washers on a turbo bolt? :smh: You said you were ASE or ASS certified?

And yes...expect some 'bashing' for using inferior junnk parts. Why are those parts half the cost? Becuase they cause 4x the issues. I love my ebay junk, but in the same time don't expect much from them either.

Take the car to a shop that has experience, and let them look it over and repair what is needed. You seem to have multiple issues (to include a bum engine). Get a catch can setup on the engine too, however if it's pushing that much oil I'd think you have more issues than that.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Godzillasr20

Got a deal on the parts and yea I'm on an iPad it has auto correct bud.. I am ASE certified but don't have 20 years in the industry and you help people where I come from.. I Never ran into this before.. It's smoking during idle now it is a ball bearing turbo with the restrictor. The pcv valve is oem nissan.. And it did not smoke this bad till I turned the boost up and put my oil catch can on.... I don't want to ruin my new wide band. Most of it is going out the dump tube I'm sure but still.. I was frustrated one day did a half ass compression test on one cylinder like not even sure it was tight. I'm going to go get some compression numbers n post. It's a massssve amount of smoke put only when I'm spooling
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Godzillasr20

Brand new Godspeed 38mm gsp waste gate rs series.. And also turbo had no shaft play. Even before the new wastegate and oil catch can it had oil in the intercooler. And why did you laugh about the lock washers? ?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
well sir...you have more than likely killed your ring(s)

What were your afr when boosting.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengo240 View Post
You should "invest" in some English classes and maybe a dictionary.
LMAO!

This thread is so funny!
Yeah that Godspeed junk is no bueno!
Invest on wise things amigo.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzillasr20 View Post
Got a deal on the parts and yea I'm on an iPad it has auto correct bud.. I am ASE certified but don't have 20 years in the
I'm just saying you should look into the troubleshooting side of it all before just attacking 100 angles at once. YOu need to go at the situation methodically...through searching and reading..as on here you're going to get 100 difference answers to the same issue, and still may not be any furhter ahead than normal.

Quote:
It's smoking during idle now it is a ball bearing turbo with the restrictor. The pcv valve is oem nissan.. And it did not smoke this bad till I turned the boost up and put my oil catch can on
So you may have done one of the following:
Taken out a ringland, ruined rings, detonated/melted a hole in a piston, or you could simply have had hidden issues(bad valve seals maybe?) that weren't apparent. Could be 100 things.

Quote:
.... I don't want to ruin my new wide band. Most of it is going out the dump tube I'm sure but still.. I was frustrated one day did a half ass compression test on one cylinder like not even sure it was tight. I'm going to go get some compression numbers n post. It's a massssve amount of smoke put only when I'm spooling
If it really pours when you're in boost you could (as above) have a ton of issues. With that said are you tuned for the bigger boost/turbo? Do you have the fueling upgrades?

Quote:
Brand new Godspeed 38mm gsp waste gate rs series.. And also turbo had no shaft play. Even before the new wastegate and oil catch can it had oil in the intercooler. And why did you laugh about the lock washers? ?
Split Lock washers aren't going to do crap in regard to holding bolts tight in such a high heat, nor huge temp differences. You need something that can withstand the heat swings and vibration, usually with mechanical lock type nuts and bellvill washers, or nordlocks or similar.

If you've got oil in the catch can and intercooler pipes it could be from the same source...you could be sucking oil through the catch can, into the turbo, and then into the pipes...or the turbo itself could be shot (seal wise) and leaking oil....

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Godzillasr20

60psi on #2 cylinder compression... Tearingnitndiwn ASAP to see if its head gasket and check the deck and head for warpage.
Do I have my pcv oil catch can set up right
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
60psi on #2 cylinder compression... Tearingnitndiwn ASAP to see if its head gasket and check the deck and head for warpage.
Do I have my pcv oil catch can set up right
Why not leak down first to see if you can spot the issue? Could be in the head itself, or in a piston etc etc. Would be good to help troubleshoot to find out what to look for in the event your pull the top end off and don't find anything 'visibly' wrong.